Visting the states, what to try and what to avoid

Hello Veeky Forums, grettings from /int/

Soon I will be visiting the united states (more specific Houston, TX) and I want you to suggest the best joints and minor franchises that I must try at least once.

I already got told that I need to try the pic related places, the same person also told me to avoid at all costs five guys because it's too expensive and is just worthy.

I'd love to see your responses, best regards my dudes.

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cX_kbIVxl_o
flavortownusa.com/cities/texas/houston
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Please do not waste your limited time and money on chains while visiting our country. I'm sure some local TX-fag will chime on the places near to your location that worth your patronage. (If you have to visit any of them, go to Wafflehouse and order waffles and hashbrowns)

I mean, yeah some of the chains aren't half bad. But the only truly unique thing that the States have that you can't really get anywhere else is southern barbeque. Don't visit a country to eat at fuckin chains, man.
You can get/make a waffle anywhere.

Steer clear of Mexican restruaunts you'll be okay OP

Just stay in your own stupid country.

Mexican restaurants are actually really good if you go to a decent one. And it's pretty easy to figure out just by looking which ones are decent.

if you're staying at a hotel worth a damn, ask the concierge at the hotel for local spots

>Long John Silver's
Kind of a meme
>Whataburger
Actual meme
>Waffle House
Whoever told you to go here is actually trying to get you killed. These places have a reputation of being at best places where drunk college kids go at 2 am, and at worst gangbangers and ex-cons eat and work there.

Also, why Houston?

>Waffle House is bad
As a man in the state with the most waffle houses, my view point may be skewed, but everyone goes to Waffle House, at any time of the day

>long john silvers
>not Captain D's
Inferior Fish restaurant for miles.
I'm not sure if Houston has all of these, but if they do, they are must tries:
Cook Out
Chic-fil-a
Golden Corral to people watch
Cracker Barrel for old timey American things
What sort of food do you like OP?

Whattaburger, just to say you got to try it.
Maybe Denny's for a mediocre diner experience.

waffle house has a really bad rap

yes I live in atlanta and I've seen all the world star videos of hoodrats bitchslapping each other, but I personally have not had any bad experiences with WH in the many years I've been there.

At Waffle House, get a patty melt plate. It should come with onions but ask just to make sure. Get the hash browns smothered and a coke to drink. Do not use the mayo packets they provide. Just put ketchup on the hashbrowns and dip your patty melt in the ketchup as well.

My other recommendation would be to find a shithole bbq joint, preferably run by blacks and only open a few days a week

Sure, but we want less money going to the brownies, not more.

Just make sure to avoid ihop

If he's in New Mexico he's fine If he's literally anywhere else you're right

Skip Houston and drive down further south for some BBQ. Texas BBQ dives are world famous. Someone somewhere is smoking something right now with love and care that not even our children will ever know.

I live in Houston my dude. Try out 'Kelley's', large portions of quality southern grub, great tendies. Whataburger if you haven't tried that too I suppose...

Anthony Bordain did a piece on The Waffle House when he tried it for the first time. I guess if even he liked it then it must be good.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=cX_kbIVxl_o

NC bbq sauce is better than TX bbq sauce

Texas pales in comparison to NC in anything not Tex-Mex or Briskets

Dear OP,
If you have a chance to try Rudy's BBQ, then do try it. Get the brisket and the creamed corn. In fact, get as much food as you can buy and take it back to your hotel. You can't possibly regret it, because their food is really, really good.

>NC sauce
>not SC sauce
You are so sadly mistaken that I have indigestion on your behalf. SC BBQ is the best sauce money can buy, and is also considerably better than most sauces money can't buy.

Sometimes I forget SC is a state because the only thing I think about when someone mentions SC to me is bad tattoo jobs on beach trips and junkies. One day I'll taste your sauce.

LJS and Waffle House are pretty good.
You might want to hit up some American-Chinese food restaurants as well.

avoid Applebee's, Chile's, Denny's, and iHop

>TX bbq sauce
We use spice rubs, we cook our meats well so we don't have to drown them in sugar syrup.

Bayou and bottle (4 seasons)- whiskey joint that serves great food
Better luck tomorrow- bar with awesome food
Bosscat kitchen- red velvet churos are awesome, another whisky joint with super food
Field and tide- rustic chic, plenty of meat options
Helen in the heights- Greek, gulf calamari is good
Kitchen 713 - southern food, very popular
Krisp bird + batter- chicken joint, the Korean fried chicken with kimchi, cane syrup and chili paste is tasty af
One fifth steak- Texas raised meats of all sorts, great raw bar with stuff from the gulf
Osso + kristal- modern Italian, yummy
Ramen tatsu- ya is from Austin, tasty and creative
Riel- weird Ukrainian chef that has borscht and pierogi along with BBQ
Rim tanon- good Thai
Star fish- fresh gulf seafood, the fresh seafood tower is something to see
Tacodeli- tacos of all sorts
Xochi- if you want real Mexican, this is it. Very good.
Yauatcha- dim sum joint that is Michelin ranked

Imagine how fucking dumb you have to be to visit a foreign country and you only want to try out all their fast food.

The South has some of the best homemade good ever so like make sure you visit mom and pop shops for all your meals.

Nooooooooooooooooooo get a pecan waffle OP. Waffle House is awesome.

Well, you're half right, anyway. LJS sucks, everything tastes like months-old overused frying oil. It's awful.

It USED to be good forty years ago.

Nowadays, I'd suggest Captain D's. Popeye's Chicken is pretty decent (get the red beans and rice), and Bojangles Chicken has good biscuits.

But OP, you should try some of the high end places. I'd also recommend lunch at Fogo de Chao (and get the salad bar, that's the best part of the place).

Been too long since I've lived in Texas, but I recall that there should be region-specific chains (such as Tex-Mex) you could visit instead of the national chains. The man, the myth, the legend, the meme Guy Fieri has visited several restaurants in Houston if you're up for visiting any of them.
>flavortownusa.com/cities/texas/houston

Five guys is worth trying once. It's a bit pricey but still pretty solid imo. Get a little burger instead of a regular - it'll be a single patty instead of two, which is always plenty of food for me. The cajun fries are excellent.

>Houston
Unless you want to see ghetto niggers everywhere avoid downtown. Go south a little bit and hit up the bay area/galveston. If you see a TexMex place with lots of cars during the dinner rush chances are it's good. And we have tons of them, get some Fajitas.

Seconded, if you like big portions of Greasy comfort food go to Kelley's. Imagine cracker barrel but actually good

Don't bother with Long John Silver's.

The other two are good.

I live in Houston. It's a huge city. You'd need to tell us what area you're going to be in.

I'd rather go to Smashburger for the price of Five Guys.

Even Whataburger is better and cheaper.