Juniper Berries

What can I use these for? Worth having on hand?

You can use them to make homemade gin, and ruin a perfectly good bottle of vodka.

Anything that is eaten with a fork and knife?

I've had wild boar pate with juniper berries in it, pretty good combo.

Wild boar? Let me go forge a new heard for my spear senpai brb.

Can I use these instead of black pepper? How different is it from a standard peppercorn?

Completely different. Just eat one ffs. You can dry them for longer shelf life though.
I'm saying make any type of pate with it m8, it'll be fine.

Do not eat them, they are actual literal poison.

I was under the impression you could use them to flavor roasts and stuff as part of a rub. Are they really poisonous?

they're definitely not good for you if you eat them, not sure about using them to flavor a roast.

This guy's an idiot.

Yeah you can flavour roasts with them. Or red cabbage or plenty of other things. There's even a spirit made from them. Absolutely delicious. You don't EAT them though same way you don't eat cloves or bay laurel

they're nice for seasoning sausage, probably good for other red meats as well

I have hundreds of these trees growing around me. They're really only good for selling(to gin producers), or for being used as a mild seasoning for soups. You can also pickle then in a way and use them as capers if you wanna get creative.

I prefer tartar sauce

what they said. I also often, if not always use them when making broth, or in most stews I do. buy dried, fresh ones go moldy before you use them up.
suomis also use juniper (berries and the twigs) for making a kvass/beer type of drink, called sahti, sth of a dividing taste, like licorice; you either love it or hate it. or are indifferent.

Wait a minute.

WAIT A MINUTE.

THESE are juniper berries?!

Mother fucker I had those growing all around on 600 acres of ranch land as a kid. I did nothing with them. NOTHING.

These things can kill me they go good with pork

I tend to have some for finnbiff, Norwegian reindeer stew.

Never really looked for more recipes to use it in.

I've used them to make a crust for a venison tenderloin. Use sparingly though, they can be quite overpowering.

>You can also pickle then in a way and use them as capers
I would never had thought of this. There's also this non-alcoholic fermented drink you can make with them.

Hey man, thanks for sharing.

The berries from junipers with soft leaves are poison. If the leaves are spiky it ain't poison.

>this non-alcoholic fermented drink
It's called smreka

marinate beef in them with vinegar

mead with juniper berrys

to think that the imperial walls and towers used to make me feel so safe...

kek

Used some of these for braised leg of lamb. Result was pretty good tbqh fampai.

Fun fact: juniper berries are not actual berries, they are cones.

I once had pretty dope venison stew with juniper berries. I'd like to make it myself but it's pretty hard getting venison where I live.