Is Olive Oil Really Necessary

Almost every recipe calls for multiple teaspoons of this Extra Virgin shit but almost all of it is full of filler and faked in the supermarkets. I
s it even worth finding a place to buy actual olive oil over using something like Sunflower Oil?

Other urls found in this thread:

oliveoiltimes.com/whats-cooking-with-olive-oil/frying-with-olive-oil/30470
oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-basics/mafia-olive-oil-on-60-minutes/50203
youtube.com/watch?v=b_o4YBQPKtQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Eh, kinda both. With cooks oil usually comes down to two things, burn temperature and flavor profile. Personally I'd rather have olive butter.

Gotta give your business to the maf- I mean, those fine olive oil sells-men, fellow user.

>rubs hands vigorously

Good olive oil is wonderful

Good olive oil actually tastes quite nice, OP. Extra Virgin should only be used on salads, tho: using it to fry or saute with just burns up all the stuff that makes it virgin.

>Is it even worth finding a place to buy actual olive oil over using something like Sunflower Oil?
>Not knowing the difference between Olive oil and Sunflower oil

Olive oil is indispensable because it's used for its taste, Sunflower oil is used because it's almost tasteless, so yes, if the recipe tells you to use olive oil you use fucking olive oil.
Ever tried making french fries with olive oil instead of shitty Sunflower oil or worse yet, palm oil? It's a whole different planet.

>almost all of it is full of filler and faked in the supermarkets

I always hear this and it upsets me if it's true. What olive oil can I be sure isn't diluted?

Jesus christ, stop believing these retards. You ever hear of food labels? Pick up a bottle of medium priced California olive oil and read the ingredients list. It will say something like, "100% unrefined first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil." You really think they are going to risk getting shut down by lying on an FDA mandated ingredients list?

Having said that, I have heard that European countries generally ship inferior quality EVOO to the US because they know most amerilards are too ignorant to tell the difference.

Buy Californian, or look up international award winners. Avoid anything Italian

the problem oils are not californian, but the ones from europe, especially sicily and Calabria

If you see an Italian flag on the label that doesn't mean that it comes from Italy. In the US 2 on 3 Italian sounding products are made in US or Canada. The problem with Sicily and Calabria is the smaller production, it's decreasing because of an olive tree disease and bad weather (cold springs, dry summers) so they import bulk olives from Spain and Morocco. If you can find it and affordable, try EVOO from Liguria, Tuscany or Puglia. If it's cheap it can't be real EVOO

I use Kroger olive oil for cooking. It isn't super great, but it's cheap, tastes decent and gets the job done.

For anything evoo related there are a couple Californian brands that I go to, usually one of them is on sale at a time. Last time I made pesto i bought a decent pricey bottle of some organic stuff that was pretty good.

You've gotta be memeing, right? Nobody's stupid enough to fry with olive oil, right?

Contrary to old-wive's tales, olive oil is perfectly good for all kinds of frying (yes, even deep-frying), it's just that it's cost prohibitive. Read this for more information:

oliveoiltimes.com/whats-cooking-with-olive-oil/frying-with-olive-oil/30470

Agree with the California comments, but it should have a California olive oil seal like pic related. Not sure if there'sanything preventing the word California on the label to mislead you.

haha 'cooc'

oliveoiltimes.com/olive-oil-basics/mafia-olive-oil-on-60-minutes/50203

>smoke point is an old-wive's tail

Ain't even clicking that shill link

I love olive oil but use whatever oil you want bruh
If you're in good health render animal fats for extra flavoursome oil.

Yeah, but aren't muricans too retarded to read an ingredient list? Seeing the shit they write on the front label I have doubts.

Light olive oil has one of the highest smoke points, extra virgin olive oil has one of the lowest. Get your shit straight if you're gonna troll.

Useless. Using sunflower seed oil for years and never looked back.

youtube.com/watch?v=b_o4YBQPKtQ

>Light olive oil
What?

it's canola oil relabeled by the mafia

>All olive oil is Italian.

>Mafia only exist in Italy

The one extracted after the first press, it's called suave/light because it has a lot less flavour. It's what is used in Spain for any fry.
Using extra Virgin for deep frying is rich barbarians.

>almost all of it is full of filler and faked in the supermarkets.

...no it isn't

buy american olive oil

Thanks.
I was wondering if they came up with an "I can't believe it's not olive oil" abomination.

>Using extra Virgin for deep frying is rich barbarians.

And morons

Here is what Miachael Ruhlman (mouthpiece for Thomas Keller) says about Olive Oil. Basically there a few occasions where it is necessary over canola/soybean/grapeseed.

I never use oil (partly due to gastroenterological concerns, but primarily because you just don't need it). Just be attentive and you won't burn shit

Using any fucking oil at all when you can just not be a faggot and just use butter.

>Ever tried making french fries with olive oil
Yes, and they taste like shit, as do all cooking oils. The proper method is using lard or duck fat.

Err, butter is the gay fat, not oil. How can you get this one mixed up?

Or horse fat, I have heard.
Must be pricier than extra virgin oil, horse meat is very lean.

>he doesn't use lard

>butter isn't an oil

I would if I could. Shit is none existent here thanks to faggots prefering shit tier vegetable oils and margarine.

Not in the sense we are using here.

>Err, butter is the gay fat, not oil
oil is good for everything else that isn't frying meat.

>Or horse fat, I have heard.
I've never heard of horse fat being used, and doubt it would work. Horse is very good meat though and recommend people eat it at least once, very strong flavour.

The more you know. So what do you use extra virgin for? Salads n shit?

Light olive oil for pan frying

Extra virgin for drizzling on various foods and also for mixing into dough to make delicious bread.

Finishing things and salads, yeah, drizzle it over stuff when it's done cooking.