What's the best Chilli recipe/your favorite?

What's the best Chilli recipe/your favorite?

>inb4 no bean/bean shitposting

There's no "best chili recipe," there's only personal favs.

My fav includes onions, bell peppers, jalapeños, garlic, cumin/coriander/ancho chipotle, tomatoes, black/kidney/pinto beans, broth, bay leaves, and fake ground beef (it literally tastes the same as actual beef when you cook it for a few hours.)

I use McCormick seasoning and I'm not afraid to admit it. I won 1st place in an Oklahoma chili cook-off using 3 packs of McCormick and a can of Great Value pintos.

Literally the best

Now go away and never come back

Skyline sauce really isn't that good. It has way too much vinegar and no heat whatsoever. They ought to just serve the regular old Tobasco.

t. I have two bottles of Skyline brand sauce in the cabinet right now

Never have I been more disappointed than when I first tried Skyline.

I've never understood people who put that much cheese on their chili. It never ends up melting all the way so you're just eating dry shredded cheese

Chili con queso, obv.

I make one, but it's basically just pungent, boneless beef stew, Hungarian style (marhapörkölt) with cumin and some Mexican/American dry chillies in addition to the sweet and pungent paprikas used in normal pörkölt. I also swapped in beer for the wine.

I live in America now and entered a variation of my spicy pork stew (sertéspörkölt, basically the same thing as marhapörkölt but with pork instead of beef and with caraway added) into a chili contest under the 'alternative' header (because it wasn't beef). It was very well received but by 'alternative,' the contest meant 'vegetarian' so I couldn't win.

To the Amerifriends ITT: what's the traditional cooking fat for chili? I use beef tallow/pork lard for marhapörkölt/sertéspörkölt, respectively, though occasionally sub in bacon grease if I have enough.

None of my pörkölt recipes use any tomato, instead deriving their colour from the copious amount of various paprikas and chili powders.

You tried "Skyline"? Where at?

I tend to use grapeseed oil or vegetable oil to cook my veggies and meat when making chili, but only because I don't keep lard or bacon fat on hand.

>visiting friends in shitcinnati
>"hey user, let's go go to skyline! you'll love it!"
>they bring me this abomination of brown sludge atop spaghetti, crowned with six pounds of cheddar
>okay, whatever. I'm open minded. I'll give it a shot
>take a bite
>it is easily, EASILY the single worst thing I have ever put in my mouth
>the people that I thought were my friends laugh hysterically as they watch my face contort through anger and disgust

Every time I see a picture of Skyline that you fuckers post, I feel the bile rise in the back of my throat. I just thought you should know that.

My chili recipe

Kidney beans
Lima beans
Pinto beans
Black beans
Red beans
White beans
Chili beans
String beans
Ground beef without the ground beef
Stock
Crushed tomatoes
Simmer for 30 hours and you're done

Sunflower oil is the common cooking oil back home for saute dishes, but lard, tallow or grease are used in stews.

While I can buy lard in the US easily, beef tallow is hard to find so I've taken to making it. If you can get cheap, very, very fatty ground beef in your area as I can in mine and you're interested in making tallow, too, I can tell you how.

>tfw I use three meats and no beans
>veal, chuck steak, and ground pork

Is this overkill?

I *am* interested — I've got an old-school Italian butcher in my neighborhood, they do whole carcass butchery, so pretty much any part is available.

Kek. I find this hilarious because I tried making some chili last week with fresh beans rather then canned and it was definitely a step down. Sometimes prepackaged ingredients bring their own beneficial flavors to the dish.

What's the best kind of stock to use for chili, beef or vegetable?

Beef easily

I always recommend that everyone should try to make white bean chicken chili. It's always a crowd pleaser and it isn't as well known, at least in my corner of Ohio. I always make corn muffins with it, and if I feel like I want more of a kick, I add more jalapenos and lime juice.

source: won 1st place at my local VFW's chili cook off this past winter

salsa verde chicken and quinoa chili:

two boneless skinless chicken breasts (or boneless skinless thighs, whatever)
5-6-ish cups chicken broth (or water w/bullion if you’re in a pinch)
a can of white beans, drained and rinsed
½ bell pepper, diced
½ onion, diced
2/3 to 1 jar salsa verde (the spiciness of your choice)
½ cup uncooked quinoa, thoroughly rinsed
1 tablespoon cumin (i really like cumin, feel free to use less)
½ teaspoon chili powder
optional: 2/3 cup frozen chopped butternut squash

>in a large soup pot, bring broth to a boil
>add chicken breasts, turn heat down and simmer until cooked (10-ish minutes)
>skim off any foam that rises to the top of the pot while it’s simmering
>remove chicken and set to the side to cool
>add literally all of the rest of ingredients to the pot (except frozen butternut squash, if using)
>bring to a boil, then immediately turn down heat to a low simmer
>shred/chop the chicken, then add it back to the pot
>simmer on low for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally
>if using frozen butternut squash, add at the very end simmer an additional 5 minutes

De-seed an assortment of dried chilis: pasilla, chipotle, etc
Heat chilis in skillet until they begin to smoke, then put in blender
Also roast some cumin seeds, throw that in blender too
Add Mexican oregano, coriander, some adobo, and a cup of warm chicken stock to blender
Blend until liquid
Take cubed chuck steak or pork, brown it in skillet, add to slow cooker
Pour chili sauce in slow cooker, stir
Throw some pico de gallo in the slow cooker too
Plus a dash of cinnamon or cocoa
Set on low for 6-8 hours
Midway through maybe add some masa to thicken it up

Even better. If you can get the butcher to run pure beef fat through the mincer, you'd have a better set up than I do.

Get the fattiest beef mince you can find.
Mix it 1:1 by weight with plain ol' water.
Put the lot into a pressure pot and lid it according to typical usage.
Cook at high pressure for 20ish minutes.
Once depressurised, strain, reserving the liquid. The solids can be given to any meat-eating pets you may have or simply discarded.
Store the liquids in the fridge overnight; by morning, the tallow will have risen to the top and solidified. The water may have jelled, as well, due to collagen also found in fat tissue but the tallow itself should be easily separable.
Clarify the tallow of excess moisture then strain through coffee filters to remove particulate matter.
Store in the fridge.
Works also for pork fat and skin (lard), lamb/mutton fat and skin (lamb's/mutton tallow) and chicken fat and skin (chicken grease).

Rad, thank you! I don't have a pressure cooker, but I could adapt this pretty easily with my dutch oven, I think. Do you generally just toss out the water after you've separated the tallow, or do you cook with it at all? Seems like a waste to toss it out.