Hey Veeky Forums. Rate my borscht.

Only took me 5 fucking hours to make.

Other urls found in this thread:

seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/hot-borscht-beet-meat-soup-recipe.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_(food)
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Does it taste good?

heartburn/10

As I am not a dirty foreigner, I don't know what borscht is, sorry.

It's actually pretty phenomenal. I braised beef short rib and ham hocks for a homemade stock. Then I added parsnip, beets, etc. It was so much fucking chopping.

It's not acidic. I added a little vinegar but not a ton.

So much chopping in the stock alone.

That was reduced another quart. The stock was wonderful. I strained it, then scraped the marrow from the bones and chopped the meat to re add later.

Did you forget the heavy cream at the end? Try it next time, but not too much. It should be a deep pink color.

It's interesting to look at the pictures and see how the liquid reduced and the colors changed.

I'm a dirty local from New Orleans. Seriously though, you've never heard of borscht?

I've never heard of borscht with heavy cream. I've only heard of it being served with a dollop of sour cream.

Here's the recipe I used. It has kielbasa, which is a sausage I don't have much experience with, but it's delicious. It's not very popular down here.

seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/hot-borscht-beet-meat-soup-recipe.html

My mother who learned the recipe from her grandmother is Latvian, and that's how she makes it. Like I said, wait till the end, and until it stops simmering. It'll give it that nice pink color.

Nice. You think it's a good recipe? I'm about to turn off the heat here soon. It was going to be dinner tonight, but it took so long I'm just going to reheat it tomorrow.

Looks legit so far. Fresh bread to dip in the broth makes it 9.5/10

5/10 +2 for the smetana dollop

I got the best French bread from New Orleans ready to go. It's crusty AF yo.

Are there beets in borscht?

It can't be that red without them, it just can't. I've made too many reductions. Please tell me there are beets in that.

Never mind, I'm retarded.

I just got big on beets after eating them boiled with salt for over a week so that I could understand the flavor. I HATED beets and decided to take a week to understand how a beet could taste decent. I little salt and taking that bitterness away and they're pretty boss.

Looks very good OP.

made this awhile back and it was so good, mine tasted 10x better the next day after chilling in the fridge

Duh.

looks much thicker than the borscht I usually have

Thanks man.

That's the plan. I've had some but not much. It's going to set up and be delicious for tomorrow. I can't wait.

I prefer rye, but that should be gud

Is your borscht made of air?

Looks pretty delicious user, I'd eat it.

it's made of beets

So many different types of borscht.

Thanks, shithead.

don't hate me because I'm beautiful

Are you eggs

All I know about borscht is that Rugrats episode where the mom's kike parents made it.

I was young and retarded, so I was under the impression it tasted like cherry jello.

Apparently having babies splash around in the borsch makes it taste better. Is this true?

Céklaleves was here. Borscht is a loser!

There is a cherry soup called meggyleves. It literally means 'cherry soup' in Goulashspeak. It's usually eaten cold, but there are hot versions too, for some reason.

4y pic no upload?

It's more chlodnik than borscht - Eastern European Jews took that receipt from Poles and Lithuanians. It's beets soup with sour cream (but witout meat) and it's served cold (that's why Rugarts in the episode did not get massive burns). Perfect spring/summer dish, especially if you don't hate beets, but hate okroshka.

Russian here (yes, i know that borsch is Ukrainian, but we are close so). Great work, user, but this soup is meant to be a simple dish (if you want it to be more authentical, i mean there are many types of borsch, but Ukraine is considered its country of origin, so Ukrainian = authentic).
Also bonus points for sour cream

As Ukranian I can confirm that this borscht is good enough, and thick enough, thats important - watery borscht is pure bollocks.

If you really want to feel great, take a piece of dark bread, salt it good, put two-three thin slices of salo (google it if you don't know what is it), little peices of garlic and few feathers of green onion. Take a shot of ice cold vodka and take a good bite of this Slavic goodness sandwich and then immediatly start to eat hot borscht. If you can't buy salo in your region, it's okay, salted green onion and garlic sandwich will do fine, not as great, but okay.

Borscht is literally based arounf beet.
I like my borscht with extra tomatos as well

>tfw you know what salo is without having to google it

fuck i bet that was tasty as hell user
send me some ok?

>Rate my borscht.
I'll rate the colour only since I can't judge the taste.

3/5

Gotta add your acid of choice earlier so that it retains the deep crimson red.

That looks awesome and I have a couple days off work. Do you mind giving the full recipe? including the stock

I am not well versed in E. European cooking. This is fascinating to me. Would eat.

This sounds truly wonderful.

See

>seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/01/hot-borscht-beet-meat-soup-recipe.html
Awesome, Thanks!

>3/5

So 6/10

3/5 bo się skraca ;)))

Ok here we go with the next day. Going to add some salt, vinegar, and water and see how it does.

Look how much borscht I still have left! I should freeze some for sure.

>clamato

Fucking why? Are you trying to turn into a Vampire?

Let me let you on a little secret bro. The Clamato cocktail. God tier.

where the fucks the liquor

Beer, especially Modelo Especial, is acceptable.

It's called a michelada, dude. Please stop strutting around like you're showing us this new thing. And put some beer in you fat pussy

uhhhhh

Well no shit, he asked why I had Clamato, and I'm telling him why.

Looks like good hangover food.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_(food)

L2google my guy