Japanese Knives

Hello Veeky Forums I am new to Japanese Knives and on a bit of a budget, currently been looking at a Tojiro Black Finished Shiro-ko Kasumi Gyutou - 8.2in knife and a Tojiro Shirogami Steel Grinding Finished Santoku Knife, wanted to know people's opinions on these knifes and if I should purchase them.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Miyabi-Kaizen-8-Inch-Chefs-Knife/dp/B005DZH24Y
youtube.com/watch?v=e50gujs4l-I
camelcamelcamel.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Clamshell-Packaging/product/B000638D32
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get the gyuto, forget about the santoku, a gyuto will do everything a santoku does.

Not really worth it, they're reactive, have a rustic finish, really poor handle. I'd get something else.

Just get a regular knife from Walmart you weeb cuck. There's literally no difference in cutting abilities.

Even if you could sharpen a $5 knife to cut as well (and you could, probably), that edge would only last about 30 minutes. Not to mention rust, cheap handles, half-tangs, and all the other problems you'd expect from a $5 knife that don't come with a $50+ knife.

All that aside, some of us just like nice shit that goes beyond simply working. I have a Dyson upright vacuum refurb I got for $250 a decade ago. I could get a $80 hoover that sucks up dirt just as well (according to consumer reports), but I like the sturdiness/weight/design/ball/turn radius/durability/warranty/etc. It's not just about the suction.

>All that aside, some of us just like nice shit that goes beyond simply working

these knives are inferior in those "Extra features" areas though, with stuff like the tiny blade shaft going into the handle and the crappy handle.

>$5 knife lasts 30 minutes nihon knife last forever!!
you realize japanese knives are made with softer steel and require sharpening more often than western knives, right? right?

it's meme shit. here's what you buy
Chef's knife: victorionix fibrox handle
Santoku: kyocera advanced ceramics

there you go you spent $90 and are done. Paring knives and shit don't matter. buy shitty ceramic ones and throw them away when not sharp.

I was going to give you a serious reply up until you unironically advised people to buy a ceramic knife.

>you realize japanese knives are made with softer steel and require sharpening more often than western knives, right? right?

If you put a proper edge on them all you have to do is run them on a strop after use and they'll stay sharp for months

>If you put a proper edge on them all you have to do is run them on a strop after use and they'll stay sharp for months
But that's untrue, user.

Get a Miyabi. They're not what I would call a "budget" knife...but they last for years if you maintain them. Shuns are probably better, but way more expensive, and I don't own one so I can't really say.

If you get one, maintain it and sharpen it it'll last you like 5-6 years.

amazon.com/Miyabi-Kaizen-8-Inch-Chefs-Knife/dp/B005DZH24Y

Japanese knives seem like a meme.

That being said I got a CutCo knife and I'm considering marrying it.

I have the Santoku, a cheese knife, and a serrated knife, they're all amazing.

Just make sure you test the handle before buying and making sure it fits your hand perfectly. The blade is practically irrelevant.

>fibrox
Enjoy paying $50 for a $15 knife, retard
>b-but muh ATK
This is the kind of high quality testing and analysis they do, watch for the part where their favorite knife is actually a totally different knife than the one they think it is:
youtube.com/watch?v=e50gujs4l-I

other way around little buddy. handle is irrelevant, blade matters. learn to cook

>He doesn't know to pinch the blade.

Maybe you should go back to brownies you little fuck.

I like how Veeky Forums has completely abandoned trying to give good knife advice and has embraced pure shitposting

Dyson is the Bose of vacuum cleaners, only the most impressionable uninformed retards buy those

Miele or GTFO

>he fell for the Japanese knife meme

I have a hand-forged Damascus 7" santoku/nakiri pair in tsuchime finish from Japanese chefs knives dot com and I use a 5" scanpan santoku for 90% of my kitchen work.

Got this bad boy in the mail today, looking forward to doing some serious cutting.

Keys to hide limited edition number engraved on handle.

Muh folded 6 gorillion times!

>fibrox
>$50 for a $15 knife

I cooked for 10 years and love my obscure hand forged shit, but fibrox is a reliable fucking workhorse, you snobby, pretentious cunt.

I've had to fire more people than you'd believe who had fancy iron, but a worker shows up with well-worn but well-maintained fibrosis handles- that fucker you keep around.

Best boning knife I own is fibrox, likewise paring, turning, offset and ham knife. So fuck you and your shit opinions.

I'm not sure you understand what the word pretentious means, line cook kun

paying a 300% markup because everyone is doing it so they must be right doesn't make you smart

How about paying a little extra for a reliable knife with a durable, comfortable, sanitary grip? One that sharpens relatively easily and holds an edge well?

I'd hire a man with a dozen fibrox knives over someone with F.Dick or Wusthof, unless those last two had a lot of wear.

Also Riccar.

Both handle and blade are important. The core and blanketing metals as well as their treatment determine how long the knife will keep it's edge and the balance between sharpness and fragility, but if the handle isn't right-sized and ergonomic or the spine is too sharp it will impact how much force the user can comfortably effect whether using a rocking motion with a Western style or chopping gesture on a Japanese design.

We both know the Fibrox was and always should have been the 25-30$ workhorse before they started gouging prices.
camelcamelcamel.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Clamshell-Packaging/product/B000638D32
I don't understand your issues with the methodology of ATK or recommendations given the relative price/performance of the models evaluated.

>Subaru
You are a man of culture jut like me.

Well I started cooking professionally in 1992, and still use my fibrox today. Haven't bought any more fibrox knives for 15 years because the ones I have are still as functional as the day I first sharpened them. Sucks if prices have gone up, but practicality trumps everything else in a kitchen.

>line cook kun
Try a sous-chef who has cooked for Prime Ministers, movie stars and famous musicians.

I bet you have an iphone

Just get a tojiro.
Best of both world under 100.

I've owned the same Dyson for 20 years. You're talking out of your ass just because you think it's trendy to insult people for having luxury items. Their fans may be a joke, but their vacuums are the real deal. My upstairs vacuum is a damn Miele and every few months I take my Dyson up there to pick up the shit it missed.

I bet you have a Samsung that costs just as much. Most iPhone haters do because you're all sheep. Spend less time worrying about others.

>thread about knives
>devolves into class warfare
>no one uses knives

Tempered steel technology randomly happened across the planet around the same time. The European long sword and Japanese katana were comprised of the same material, at the exact same time. Japanese knives are of equal to, or lesser quality than European blade manufacturers. Period. Don't pay meme money for something a machine can make in the 21st century for 1/10th of the price.

this post screams loudmouthedness

Historically inaccurate. Tempering steel was far from random and started as early as the Roman Empire just prior to the 3rd century

this

a good knife will last 50+ years if treated well