I'm making bread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2aife3gOEYo
youtube.com/watch?v=2DM0jSDfkg4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

omg. omg. omg. omg.

milling his/her own wheat....

omg. omg. omg. omg.

Could op be the chosen one that the tomes have spoken of? Is the time of purification upon us brethren!?!?!

Is that a specific attachment or just the meat grinder?

If you didn't farm that wheat yourself you may as well just go buy some wonderbread.

>NIN mill
what

its for grain only. this is the one for meat

i use organic non gmo wheat. its hard to find whole wheat bread in the store

>or just the meat grinder

Doubt it. It looks very much like a grain mill, even a hand one. With a meat grinder the output is usually the front not bottom.

In your opinion is it worth it to get that attachment and grind your own wheat?

I keep a starter going and bake often, its my hobby, but i can get access to organic flours at farmers markets.... is it worth it to grind your own? I actually know where to buy organic ground whole wheat.. but have no idea where i would buy unground wheat...

i think its totally worth it.

360g water
10 g yeast
480 g wheat
8g salt
15 g sugar

bow down before the mill you serve

75% hydration...

Now zings are gettink interestink, ja?

What kind of yeast?

>If you didn't farm that wheat yourself
Fear not

um. normal yeast. not rapid rise. i bought a huge thing of it before

Neat. Can't wait to see more.

I had no idea they made a grain mill for these things.

I got a kitchenaid from the g/fs mom, but we're moving in a month so im not cracking it open just to repack it all up in 3 weeks.

>um. normal yeast.

That's cool man. No judgement. You are rocking out so far and I'm super happy to have one less mcchicken thread in these dark times...

but... your next project should be to start a wild yeast starter and bake with it. it takes about a week or two and produces breads with very distinct and wonderful flavors that I haven't found another way to replicate.

now to let it rise in the oven set at 110f

ive made sourdough starter before. thank you

they are good for small amounts. the machine gets hot.

Oh... a pullman loaf pan...

I was not prepared for things to get this kinky this quick.

the meat grinder is great for making world class burgers

We had one at work, they thing got so hot you could burn yourself if you we're careful. Damn thing mixed it self apart, but to be fair we were mixing cheese in it, which is pretty nuts even for a robocoup.

Damned if it isnt still working, though now it tends to walk around.

i think il just look for another one used cheap as a backup. keep the attachment on it

I find them at thrift stores occasionally. They are prices accordingly but still a bargain. I can't wait to move and have a full kitchen at my disposal. I'm gonna get the pasta attachment and eat like a fucking king!

Not to hijack a wonderful thread or anything.. but i have the pasta attachment.. and it doesn't seem to cut my pasta correctly. it cuts like.. every other piece. So I end up with wide pasta with a crimp in the middle where it didn't cut - and the cuts that do work are still not that great.

the machine doesn't look broken, but i have a feeling i got a defective one... the roller attachment for making thin sheets still works really well - its just the cutting attachment for tagliatelle and linguine doesn't work....

you mean the metal roller one? not the extruder one?

i wanna get one too kinda.

feel free to talk. im waiting for the bread to rise anyway

I have my grandmas old hand crank which works very well, I just figured that a kitchenaid roller would be even easier. I guess I'll save my money.

Any other dope attachments I can buy for this bad boy?

>you mean the metal roller one?

Yeah. This one. I'm pretty sure its defective. I need to call their customer service or something.

i buy everything at kohls. you can return anytime if it breaks. or for no reason

Maybe I'm trippin... I just fed some paper in it and it did this.... Seems like itd work on dough. Maybe it was the other attachment or maybe my dough was too wet. I'll have to try again.

yeah.. Here's the other... That seems to work fine too. I'll have to try it again. Maybe I was being stupid.

Was your pasta dough a weird recipe? Whole wheat or something?

no.. it was pretty standard 50/50 flour and semolina

I just watched these 2 videos and my pasta came out more like the first video where the noodles seemed to bunch up in pairs.

youtube.com/watch?v=2aife3gOEYo

This second video seems to have success...

youtube.com/watch?v=2DM0jSDfkg4

I think the difference is that in the second video the lady rolls her dough out pretty thin (setting 5 out of 8) I have never gone past 7 because that is just about see through. And when I made pasta I don't remember if I rolled it out at all.. i might have just been feeding a ball in - it was a couple years ago and i really just don't remember. I'll have to try rolling the dough out first to see if it works better.

The first vid makes the pasta looks thick as a black girls ass. I'd roll it out thinner, but i cant be sure unless I was there to see and feel it first hand.

OH HOLY SHIT THERE IS AN INSTRUCTION BOOK IN THE BOX!!!!

I swear I looked for one before and never found it.

This book specifies that dough should be rolled out to setting 4 or 5 before the cutters are used...

So the girl in that first video that is using setting 1 or 2 is just doing it all wrong.

I'm a doofus. I'll have to try it again soon. I am way better at making pasta dough now anyway.

eyem diggin dat nine inch nails stickuh

i hate NIN remixes tho

I want some cool stickers too...

lols.. google search for "stickers for kitchenaide mixer"

This feels middle-class fancy af

More like lower-middle class.

lik dis if you cri evrytime

Okay, that one is mom tier as fuck and is okay.

some fag on Veeky Forums makes WAT stickers and shit, I bet someone here can whip up some co/ck/ decals for our fridges and mixers pretty easy. I'd rock some.

$7.00 on etsy

It's cute but I don't need it. I just have to keep telling myself that. "You don't need it. You don't need it."

Lol I have that exact same scale. Don't use it for food though lel.

why? i got it for $3 at a thrift store

>thrift
>thrift
>poppin tags

lols. NIN mixer dude is secretly macklemore. I didn't realize NIN was an influence in his music but it all makes sense now.

Did you also pick up the broil king at a thrift store? What is that other thing in the top left with the green and red lights in ?

Small kitchen tour of other thrift bounty?

trent sucks now anyway. fuck him.

i paid full price for the broil king. its a pos. would not buy again

>i paid full price for the broil king. its a pos. would not buy again

This does not surprise me. i was looking at them on amazon and thought that even if it worked well, it seemed expensive. It has a sort of nice commercial look to it though.

I have that same rice cooker. I found it after the local university's grad student population moved out. Fucking faggot never even took it out of the box.

A healthy mix of the rich and ignorant.

>its hard to find whole wheat bread in the store

>He doesn't shop at Whole Foods

there are 3 thin pieces of metal holding up the burner. if you dont adjust it before you put something on it the burner can slip down.
overall it works well. but i was expecting more

>he thinks gmos are bad

hahahahahahahahahhahaha

no. i dont. i hate whole foods.
plus i like to know exactly what is going in my food

So I'll be baking my first sourdough tomorrow. I'm using Tartine's recipe but to be honest everything to this point has been winged. I'm just going for a high hydration dough with a good gluten structure and hopefully that gives me an edible end product. I'm ready for dense raw failure though.

So here's my question, I don't have a CI cooker like the recipe asked for nor do I have a dutch oven. I'm thinking of using my CI pan and a CI wok as the "lid". They obviously won't provide a sealed environment but I'm wondering if it'll make any difference at all compared to just using a tray. Any advice?

guess i need to increase the recipe a bit. looks like this is all imma get

Well, it's been fun but I'm an east Veeky Forumsoast kinda guy.

OP, you have brought balance and quality so far. I look forward to updates in the morning.

remixes in general suck

>I don't have a CI cooker like the recipe asked for nor do I have a dutch oven. I'm thinking of using my CI pan and a CI wok as the "lid". They obviously won't provide a sealed environment but I'm wondering if it'll make any difference at all compared to just using a tray. Any advice?

I am in the same boat and I have tried baking on stones using a turkey pan as a lid to keep steam in, and also baking in a cast iron pan with a larger (not well sealed) lid.

I was baking at lower temps of 375, and it did not make a difference.

Maybe if would work if you used a higher temperature.

So far, the only way for me to get any real height on a dough is for me to use a pan like OP is using. My breads are well developed and light, they just don't oven spring. The next loaf that I make will be baked in a well preheated oven at super high temps. I am hoping it will make a difference.

Two thumbs way way up.

nice kivhen

all i care about is functionality

>The next loaf that I make will be baked in a well preheated oven at super high temps. I am hoping it will make a difference.

I say this because I bake my pizzas on a stone at 550 and I get crazy oven spring in the crust...

I'm just afraid of that burnt blackened crust at the bottom that a lot of home made tartine loafs get because they are cooked on scorching hot CI. But they do spring...

Now show us the stove you filthy whore!

>functionality

Those pictures say 1000 words each. And over half of them are synonyms for "functionality."

Very nice.

Hmm. Interesting. From what I understand the oven spring is dependent on the hydration and how you fold the dough. And you gotta have higher temps my man. The steam is just to get a good crust. The CI provides high radiant heat in the absence of which you should go higher with the temps.

That said I'm the guy you replied to and have never made sourdough so I could be talking out of my ass.

i dont have a stove. just an induction burner and a normal resistance burner. and a countertop oven

Damn, your setup is sick. Props OP

ty

none of you autists have asked why i have 2 freezers and no fridge

This thread is so good its beyond bookmark. Im pinning a live tile.

and we all need a fry cutter on the wall

If you didn't conquer the farmland yourself you're just phoning it in, I'm so sick of these "artisan" bread makers who just inherit or buy fertile fields.

and spices and utensils near the cooktop.
i never understood why people keep silverware in a drawer.

I've wanted a commercial style spray gun on my sink ever since i started working in kitchens. Are you glad you've got it? Or is it too messy and gets everything soaked at home?

i paid like $280 and regret not getting a real commercial one. the lines are tiny and i dont get alot of flow. i should have just gotten a used real one and mounted it to the wall

you are worried about things getting soaked? grow a pair

Bro, you can make pasta by hand. You use a long thin rolling pin. Look it up. Get this book.

Are you letting your pasta dry to the right texture before trying to cut? It should feel like a scrap of leather.

Hey Scooby I knew you never left us

didnt get the rise i wanted

too wet bro

>le weed lol
it's the most popular kitchen scale on amazon user

i get the same effect using less water

JUST

My guess is that one is malfunctioning and acts as a fridge?

no. i have an external thermostat on one and am using it as a fridge

meh

too much flour

lol OP has all that expensive shit but can't bake a fucking sandwich loaf.

try it sometime with whole wheat

I dabble. This is whole wheat sour dough.

looks like a mix

Correct.
100g AP starter 100% hydration.

450g WW flour.

im trying to get 100% ww to rise
i cut the sugar in half on this one and it didnt rise as well

Try adding gluten flour.
Be aware that WW is rough which during kneading shreds up the gluten strands.

Honest just use some white starter/cut it with some white/sieve out some of bigger shit or go full dense pumpernickel mode.

i dont wanna add gluten. ive gotten it to rise better before

Why not... bread flour should have more gluten than general purpose flour. I even put it in white loaves.

i dont use general purpose flour.
i use wheat