Tabletop Gaming Food

I DM a D&D game and usually make a really big nice plate of nachos with tons of toppings for everyone but I'm wondering if anyone out there has any better ideas for tabletop gaming food. Or maybe something thematic like tavern food. I've done mead in tankards before and that was fun. Curious what Veeky Forums thinks. Might post this on Veeky Forums too just to see what those nerds have to say. Suggestions for snacks, meals, and drinks welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

1d4chan.org/wiki/Meatbread
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grodziskie
oakden.co.uk/tea-in-the-hobbit/
youtu.be/oH5O_fCstyI
youtu.be/PQh6HxmPy54
imgur.com/a/eApCG
imgur.com/a/Bi8lb
imgur.com/a/KauZ5
imgur.com/a/MrgU8
imgur.com/a/f72H5
imgur.com/a/NlmuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-leYc4oC83E
m.imgur.com/gallery/BWnHF
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Hire a hooker so he can feed you and your friends the cock you so desperately crave.

Valuable contribution. Thank you.

I know that the traditional Veeky Forums gaming dish is meatbread
1d4chan.org/wiki/Meatbread

as for drinks, unfiltered beers look pretty medieval, mead is generally too sweet and alcoholic for a gaming session I'd say

I wanted to ask in Veeky Forums simply because you are the dudes who know how to cook. I wouldn't trust Veeky Forums on cuisine given the choice.

I agree on the unfiltered beers. Mead worked the time I did it, no one got too drunk to play although some bad decisions were made in game. I have tankards for everyone and a couple drinking horns which make it alot more fun. Props are always fun.

I'm going to post pictures of cozy taverns and tavern food for general interest purposes.

smoked beers are pretty old-timey too, maybe something by schlenkerla or a nice gratzer (which has the added benefit of low ABV)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grodziskie

My group has varied taste in beer so smoked beer won't work for everyone. In general it's a byob type affair, I only provide the thematic replenishment.

For me it's the cosmic brownie shake, the best homemade shake.

That story never came with a recipe. I'd almost be tempted to try it to see if I shit my brains out. I won't poison my own group though.

Something setting appropriate is the normal thing to do.

Like what for what setting? I have a port town setting coming up and a woodland fey quest in the works.

Id probably bake a whole chicken and put that on the table

>port town
So a seafood stew. Cioppino or something, with a side of dark bread. Or an old-school clam chowder, with a smoked ham hock in there.
>woodland fey
Roast mushrooms, fresh fruits, rabbit if you can swing it.

If you want more exotic stuff, look up Apicius. You can substitute asian fish sauce like nuoc mam for the ever-present garum.

I've made a beef stew for the table (foreverDM here) with turnips and barley, it turned out great, except the fat edgelord ate it all. It'll really depend on what you're going for in-game; the stew was while the party was holed up in a walled fort and debating about braving the trek to a Dwarfhold with the onset of winter, so a hearty, comfy meal was in order. Whole chickens are cheap, if cost is an issue. Lots of medieval root vegetables like turnips and beets are fairly inexpensive, as well, so look at those as well. See if you can get the players to bring something fun; even if it's just a nice crusty loaf of bread. If the party is traveling, why not hard cheese and dry sausage? See if you can get them to dicker with a farmer over a chicken for roasting, or fresh bread, and then drop an ankheg on them.

Those are some super good ideas. I like the seafood stew with dark bread. Making a chowder would be fun too.

I like the roast mushrooms, and I have butcher that carries rabbit near me. Instead of fruit I'd go for berries and probably do sweet potato and rosemary with the rabbit.

Good ideas I like it. This is exactly what I needed I'm terrible at thinking of this stuff on my own.

Got anything for a frontier town, dwarven mining camp, halfing trade town, or goblin villiage?

Those are some good ideas. I never thought of doing a big root vegetable stew. I also have access to venison so I could make it a really wild and gamey stew. I think it would be a cool idea to do a potluck style charcuterie type thing where everyone brings preserved meats and cheeses, throw it all on a big board in the middle of the battle mat. I own a few replica daggers we can use for cutting the cheeses.

How good is your cooking ability? How much effort are you willing to put in and what sort of budget?

>Pork dish (weeds out the kikes at your table)
Chicharonnes or bratwurste and mustard

>Bread
Brotchen/breadroll if I'm having sausage, a crusty loaf if not

>Hard cider
Low abv and tasty

>Mild cheese
Brie pairs well with cider

>Fruit pie (fats will appreciate)
Lingonberry is my favorite

Cooking ability is medium but I find it in general hard to fuck up a soup, stew, or chowder. Can't bake for shit. I put alot of effort into my games, hence this thread. I do alot of props and stuff. Puzzle boxes, written puzzles, I even write mail for my characters between sessions. Budget is pretty generous, my group donates for things, I cover the costs if they don't, never had money trouble running a game.

Duck or quail with cranberry or mulberry sauce and sprouts.

>Frontier town
You can make a gravy out of jerky/dried meat, and serve it over some hardtack-type bread. Exactly the kind of thing that's better than just "dried meat and bread", but still limited by the lack of fresh ingredients. Maybe supplement with a chayote salad?
>dorfs
Braised meat, mushrooms, and dark beer. Serve with a big bowl of coarse salt, soda bread, and butter.
>halfling
Anything out of The Hobbit. Lots of smaller dishes. Maybe a variety of smaller meat pies? A decent cheeseboard, some pickles and jams, and lots of veggies. If it's a trade town, a couple more exotic things; Chinese-style sausages, more spices, maybe even chiles!
>gobbos
Crawdad boil. Call 'em bugs. No bread/cheese unless it's been stolen.

>mustard on chicharrones
heresy

You just need lime and a very cold beer.

For the halfling one I would just look at all of the food the Hobbits ate as they were all real foods Tolkien enjoyed.

I just googled a list of the food eaten by the dwarves at Bilbos house and got this:
oakden.co.uk/tea-in-the-hobbit/
There are some ideas and recipes at the bottom.

One of my players is already Jewish so it's not exactly a question anyone needs answering. They aren't very picky about pork dishes though.

I like the idea of brauts and sauerkraut with a selection of mustard.

We already do ciders pretty often

Soft cheese and crusty bread is a good idea

I totally never thought of pies. I can't bake so they would be have to be store bought or sourced from the group. I know at least one of them can bake a bit. I imagine strawberry rhubarb being ideal. Never had lingonberry.

I have access to duck and quail. Don't know how I would do mulberry sauce.

youtu.be/oH5O_fCstyI

>Frontier town
You're looking for something like the new frontier kind of foods? You might like whatever this guy is making.

youtu.be/PQh6HxmPy54

>Dwarven mining camp

On account that dwarves are fictional, I don't really know what they would eat. Probably something involving lots of beer and meat. Perhaps a turkey braised in cherry beer on top of mashed potatoes?

>Halfling trading town

Meatpies and ciders.

>Goblin village

A half eaten carcass of whatever you can find in your backyard and straight vodka.

Pie is stupid easy. Cold fat, don't overwork the crust, have your filling ready, a quick proof for the bottom crust, then just spoon in your filling and pop a lid on it. Remember that with a medieval-type of pie (and the original cornish pastie), you weren't supposed to eat the crust. It was just a convenient vehicle for your filling.

If you want more inspiriation look up the "A feast of fire and ice" cookbook from game of thrones. It's very well done

imgur.com/a/eApCG
imgur.com/a/Bi8lb
imgur.com/a/KauZ5
imgur.com/a/MrgU8
imgur.com/a/f72H5
imgur.com/a/NlmuQ

Never heard of making gravy from jerky. How do you do it?

You nailed the dwarf menu
Same with halflings
and goblins

Do you play alot of D&D or are you into fantasy shit in general.

Also I've always wanted to try my hand at meat pies. It's also dumb because I do tons of pickling and making jams and I never even thought to bring those to a game till now.

>oakden.co.uk/tea-in-the-hobbit/
This looks like the exact type of stuff I need.

Those are impressive, but I think the setting needs to be worked on a bit to meet the impressive spread

Ill check that out later

Those all sound good except for the goblin idea. That sounds awful, I liked the other guys idea. Maybe I should make some kind of super yeasty grog. I brew sometimes it would probably be not that hard to make a strong beer that's overly malty.
Speak for yourself. Baking has been my archnemesis in cooking for along time. I'll take your advice though when I give it a try. I'm saving this whole thread.

Since you guys are so good at coming up with menu's for towns and settings do you guys have anything for Capitol city slums, hermits cottage, nomadic plains centaur kingdom, dungeon food temptation trap room, unholy monastary, poisoned kings banquet murder mystery, and mountain barbarian villiage meadhall.

rhubard pie is a great option since it's not too sweet

For a port town I'd recommend stargazy pie

I've got an idea for you op

Never heard of it before. I googled it and I am a tad skeptical of the idea.

for the slum I want to say rat but as you will have a hard time getting rat go to the butcher you kentioned and see if he has squirrels for sale. They taste nice and you just have to cook them over an open fire with their legs dangling down to add to the rodent effect. Serve with a loaf of bread roughly torn by hand for that extra slum feel.

He doesn't have squirrel but he has squab if that helps. Pigeons live in medieval cities right?

Nomadic plains makes me think Middle Eastern so maybe a tagine or shakshouka.

Dungeon food would be porridge or pottage.

Temptation room, maybe find out what each of your players favourite foods are but do it slighly, make them but hide them under a box and when they enter the room...ta da!

I was thinking more along the lines of Native American foods for the centaur plains. Maybe corn succotash and pemmican?

Porridge would be good for the dungeon, I just feel like it's hard to make a porridge you can get five people to eat instead of ordering out for burritos or pizza. The whole point of this is that I can cook cheap food that's right there and is thematic that we don't feel the need to order for a food break and break the session to eat. Certain things everyone finds delicious. Some stuff is hard to get people interested in. Thats kind of why I did nachos up until now.

As for the temptation room I think learning and cooking all my players favorite dishes would be too much of a pain in the ass. I like the idea though.

You were fine with a fish stew but a fish pie makes you skeptical?

I will admit maybe i'm just bigoted. I've always thought of savory pies as meat and sweet pies as fruit. I don't care much for cream pies and the like.

There's no cream in a stargazy pie. In a fish pie, yes, but not stargazy.

For now I'm gonna give it a pass. Too adventurous for me. I pussy out.

A mountain Barbarian village makes me think of just a leg of an animal roasted and eaten in your hand or something with goat in it. I would say curried goat but it's not really fitting with the environment. Perhaps a roasted leg of lamb.

I get the "Big meat on a bone" stereotype for the barbarian village I was just wondering if there was something that could localize it to the mountainous region it is in. I don't really know if "mountain cuisine" is really a thing in any way.

rocky mountain oysters

>Capitol city slums
porridge, rye bread with butter and cheese, unfiltered beer (maybe something with wild yeast?)
>hermits cottage
wild mushroom soup, porridge with nuts and berries, some kind of herbal tea (maybe chamomile or mint) with honey
>nomadic plains centaur kingdom
goulash, lamb shashliks, tartare (if you're feeling adventurous), kefir
>dungeon food temptation trap room
could be anything tasty, maybe a roast or pie of some kind
>unholy monastary
some kind of belgian trappist beer, strong and decadent (I always thought the monk on bernardus 12 looked kinda evil). maybe squid or octopus for an eldritch horror vibe?
>poisoned kings banquet murder mystery
some kind of big roast (maybe whole duck?), decadent and impressive cake, some kind of alcoholic beverage (maybe wine?)
>mountain barbarian villiage meadhall
mead (obviously), some kind of goat dish

also, you could try to get some wild game for the king, though duck is probably the biggest animal you can eat in it's entirety with only a few people

You could put together a picnic-style meal for each player that corresponds to each race's type of rations.

d20pfsrd.com/equipment/goods-and-services/hunting-camping-survival-gear/#TOC-Rations

>half of my game group is vegetarian

Make them brownies.

>playing Dand willingly

Here, this seems right up your alley

I wish I was your friend user. I once set up a thematic d&d party and everyone called me stupid. Killed me inside.

Friends don't call each other stupid. But regardless, you probably should've known or tried to figure out in advance if these "friends" were into tabletop gaming or not.

this.
I actually own a players manual, monster guide, and a DM book. I have owned them for 3 years and still nobody will play with me. Ive never played d&d in my life but it sounds like a lot of fun. all of my friends are normalfags that only wanna watch "the game" and I HATE sportsball. Ill never understand why sportsball is so fucking popular and everyone obsesses over it, yet if you tell people at work it would be fun to play a friendly table top game with each other instead of watching overpaid assholes throw a ball around, they act like youre a freak.
be my friend, op.

What is the appeal of tabletop when stuff like Baldur's Gate exists? You just waste a lot of time mentally doing the base mechanics that a computer is infinitely better at. And you'll never shit out better stories than professional authors that spent hours writing intricate plots and dialogues.

Is it just cause you can do whatever you want whenever you want and the DM has to roll with it?

youtube.com/watch?v=-leYc4oC83E

WHERE ARE THE CHEETOS

We used to play D&D in the late 80's, early 90's. Just loaded up on hostess cupcakes and mountain dew. Remember being a little kid and being able to stuff that much sugar down and not gain a pound? While playing D&D all night with Nintendo breaks.

Fuck I hate being an adult.

People like you are why I don't like playing table top games any more.

>Read manuals from top to bottom
>Make characters from scratch
>Run simulations so I understand the game mechanics
>Join group
>Half of table don't know the rules, made their character using a character building program
>A single battle takes hours because people don't know the rules and have to keep looking things up
>They don't know their character's stats or gear or class abilities
>Nearly get TPK'd because the cleric decided to melee instead of heal and the mage is obsessed with ranged touch attacks even thought his THAC0 is shit
>No one in the party except me takes notes so group is constantly forgetting important events and clues
>DM eventually just gives up

Look into Swiss cuisine for mountain food.

It's more that you actually get to decide on the story.

With BG and other CRPGs, you ALWAYS get the same story. Maybe changed based on choices somewhat, but it's still the same story. With the TTRPGs, it's infinitely variable.

You might think that you'll never get a better story that shit professional writers have written, but the whole process of being involved really does change things. It makes the story much more enjoyable.

There's the social aspect to it, too.

lots of dairy products and cow meat then.
I'm not sure if cheese, butter and cream is barbaric though.

Charcuterie as a starter would be nice.

Cheese (theoretically) started out as a herdsman food; someone stored fresh milk in a babby aminal stomach, and the rennet caused curds to form, hey presto! Cheese!
As barbarians, I'd go for goat/sheep cheese, though.

>jerky gravy
Basically, shred/mince/process your jerky (the better the jerky, the better the gravy) into teeny tiny pieces, then rehydrate with boiling water. Make a roux, add the jerky and water and some milk, bring to a boil then drop down, season to taste (but should be fine, what with the jerky). Serve over biscuits. It's basically creamed chipped beef, but with jerky and biscuits.
>Do you play alot of D&D
Not since moving, but I'll be moving into a house soon, and plan to start back up a game night.

>slum
Rice gruel, maybe a little fish, and simple roasted veggies. Not really a fun meal, but thematic!
>hermit
Probably the same as the elves, just less exorbitant, more mushrooms, maybe a little bit of aged cheese tucked away for a special occasion. Probably a good place to introduce any drugs if that's your bag, as any good hermit is probably tripping balls out in the woods.
>centaur
Centaur lasses serving you their own milk? Might be an honored guest thing. Otherwise, whatever they herd, strong tea, and flatbread to pick it up with.
>temptation
Sugar! Sweets, candied fruits, suet puddings, fine wines, the GOOD parts of the cow!
>unholy monastery
Hmm. What's "unholy"? Undead? Evil? Could do a pork osso bucco and claim it's from a person, but that's not really for the faint of heart. Could get a beef heart and stir-fry it, extra spicy, with saffron rice. Decadent, and the heart thing sounds appropriately evil.
>poisoned banquet
Pork roast with crackling, trenchers, lots of watered-down wine, head to a party store and see if you can get fun goblets to quaff from.
>barbarian meadhall
Well, mead. Honeyed grouse, salmon with a dill sauce, venison and call it reindeer. Bread cheese fried with lingonberry jam. Swedish meatballs!

>everyone posts this screencap
>no one ever posts the recipe

I'm pretty sure he didn't get the recipe in the first place.

I don't think I can get my party to eat that.

Those all sound like good ideas except for the unholy monastary. I like the trappist beer but its less eldritch horror and more like a refined arch demon worship. Like hell prince. I play pathfinder so think asmodeus.

This idea is awesome. Ill wrap each meals component in wax paper and pack it in a small wooden box and wrap in a kercheif. Five boxes would be alot of prep but they would love it.

I can do whole roast duck. Thats within my abilities and resources.

This person made rations for different races. It's kinda lit desu

m.imgur.com/gallery/BWnHF

Do an exotic jungle temple campaign and cook indian, serve with bowls and wooden spoons and don't tell em what it is.

Sounds like someone is a sourpuss who doesn't know how to have fun.

My party is full, sorry adventurers. I suggest going to your local games stores and asking them if they have any games going on. Those people usually can connect you with a group. Its nice because you know all those folks are interested in the same thing as you.

D&D is the ultimate videogame. If you have a good DM and a good party you will realize that all videogame RPGs have just been trying capture the magic of a good D&D campaign.

You know you can still play D&D as an adult right?