Fake chili spices

I want to make some fake chili in my slow cooker. Fake chili = ground beef, beans, tomatoes etc rather than real chilies and stew meat. Which spices go well with this kind of fake chili? I find that slow cookers tend to dull herbs and spices due to the long hot cook time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zCiwnRTdrRk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't understand making chili in a slow cooker. It only takes 10 minutes to fry meat and mix everything together?

Fake chilli is the best chilli. It really hits the spot. Its made out of construction paper.

Chili is supposed to be cooked low and slow for many hours. The flavor and the texture improves.

Fake chili recipe off the top of the head: roughly chop onions and green peppers like a college girl, throw in cooker with a pound of ground beef (right out of the package), add a heap of garlic powder, and several seasoning packets; taco seasoning for the win, a large can of tomatoes with juice. Water to top off. Crank up heat and proclaim you've got the best chili recipe evar.

You should let the finished chili simmer for a while so the flavors get a chance to meld together.

the solution is to do what one does when cooking for a long time on a stove: add herbs and spices again to taste when you're closer to finishing cooking. add a bit of what you'd normally use in chili at the start, and then add more to taste when you're in the last 20/30 minutes of cook time.

i would say spices to add early would be dried chili peppers, like if you got a jar of crushed chipotles or something. i think you could do cumin and coriander early as well, maybe cinnamon if you're into that. oregano i would add later. i don't think it would matter when you add something like cayenne powder.

*And a can of kidney beans with juice

Can I use ground pork instead of beef or will that mess with the flavor?

Yes, you can use pork (or any other meat, really).
Of course the flavor will be different, but that's not a bad thing.

>1 lb ground beef browned in skillet and drained
>12-16 oz frozen green/yellow/red peppers
>1 large yellow onion partially caramelized in skillet
>1 large can crushed tomatoes
>1 small can diced tomatoes
>2-4 16 oz cans of kidney/pinto/black beans
>lots of red pepper flakes
>small amounts of oil, salt, sugar, Worcestershire, and pepper to taste

>Its made out of construction paper.

I don't get the joke

>1lb of beef

I'm cooking 6-7lb at a time m8

>like if you got a jar of crushed chipotles or something

Dried or no? I was hesitant to go buy either one because I wasn't sure how hot it would make the chili. I'm aware that real chili demands chili peppers

no cayenne???

You ARE the Milli Vanilli...of your fake chili!

Go buy 7 cans of Hormel and call it a day. You're wasting your time.

Wasting what time? Hormel tastes disgusting

i like to keep the dried ones around for sprinkling on various things. canned ones you usually need to use all of or have a few dishes in mind from the quantity. as with everything, start with just a little and see if it's too hot for you. add more if not.

As will the end result of whatever it is you are trying to accomplish here.

meat absolutely ruins chili...

Wrong, I've made it before and it's pretty tasty. It's just a beef stew when it comes down to it. I just haven't found a good spice combo for it because like I said, the slowcooker mellows out herbs and spices.

Chipotles in adobo freeze well. I often just use a couple and put the rest in a freezer bag then cut off chunks next time.

good to know, i will keep this in mind if my apartment gets a freezer installed.

I did that last weekend in a pot, actually. I was taking bowls from it as the say went on. It came out like Wolfs Brand Chili. It was better but not worth the wait in my opinion.

Lol.

Beer

i don't think there really was one.

100% serious this is the best you will do using canned shit and ground beef.

>It came out like Wolfs Brand Chili
It sounds like you just made shitty chili, user

Low and slow is good for hot dog chili and tough cuts of meat. 20 min is good enough for typical hamburger meat.

>he doesn't have a freezer

the fuck kind of shithole do you live in?

I used to make the most delicious chili when I was vegetarian. When I started eating meat again I made chili several times, and it's always been disappointing. The cheap canned stuff is delicious and I felt that I'm better off buying a cheap can of it for a single meal, than having a large slow cooker full of the stuff having to eat it over 3 or 4 days.

I just realized when looking at this thread that I could make the chili taste good if I used that textured protein stuff instead of meat, or try this method of drying the meat out to caramelize it first.

youtube.com/watch?v=zCiwnRTdrRk

Hotdog chili I made today.
>beef
>chicken stock
>tomato sauce
>salt
>black pepper
>chili powder
>paprika
>smoked paprika
>sugar
>cumin
>mustard powder
>curry powder
>garlic powder
>onion powder
>cayenne

I hate when coney chili has beans, but I'm considering adding red lentils to mine.

>vegetarian chili

it's just beans and lentils, there's nothing chili about it

Are you retarded? How do you fuck up chili and then advocate for "textured protein" instead?

>it's just beans and lentils, there's nothing chili about it
I never used lentils in it. It's still chili.

No it's not. A BLT isn't a BLT if you put kale, onions and tofu between two pieces of bread

You're supposed to brown the beef before stewing that. Everybody knows that.

Sure, why not? You could even mix ground pork, beef, and turkey, or soy protein and beef.

It wouldn't be a BLT. It would be a Kot, in that case.

>Everybody knows that.
No they don't. I didn't.

>No it's not
Yes it is. It looks the same as the one in the OP, except the meat is replaced with vegetarian protein. It tastes and looks like regular chili.

Then buy Armour.

Red lentils would actually work a lot better than beans, since they mostly just dissolve.