Hummus

How do I make the taste of hummus sharper?

I made a hummus today but it tastes a bit too...soft?
Ingredients:
>3 tins of chickpeas
>4 garlic cloves
>4-5 red birds eye chillies
>Chives
>Salt
>Pepper
>Paprika
>Chillie powder
>Dark Tahini
>Water
>Olive oil
>Lime juice
All blended together until smooth.

Any suggestions?

(Pic isn't mine)

Other urls found in this thread:

figtreeandvine.com/blogs/recipes/fourth-of-july-serve-israeli-style-masabacha-as-your-party-dip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What does sharp mean? Pungent?

Add more garlic, or raw onions? More peppers? Hot sauce?

Use lemon juice instead of lime, and more of it.

I'm guessing you're short on acid, add more acidic stuff

Limes are more acidic though.

This.

I'm not entirely sure how to describe it.

Mine tastes...not so much bland, but blunt, soft, like a single dull flavour. I'm not a huge fan of store bought hummus but they do tend to have the right kick and tanginess to them.

You can probably tell I really don't know what words to use :)

The colour of mine is a bit darker/more yellowy than the hummus' that I like (such as the one in the photo).

Why is that?

What do you suggest?

I would add more lemon juice. idk why ur using limes to begin with

add some zest and more garlic

Lemons would be the trad choice for Levantine cuisine.
The "soft" character you describe is probably too little acid. The hummus they sell in plastic containers in the supermarket relies on citric acid for the acid, but lemon juice gives much better flavor. That bright lemon flavor is a great foil for the heaviness of the tahini. One of my favorite sauces is just tahini, garlic, salt and lemon juice.Just a classic combination.

I happened to have bottled lime juice.
It seems everyone is saying its the acid so I'll add more of that. Interesting sauce. I'll give that a try.

On another note, does anyone know any good toppings for the hummus to add texture? Other than whole chickpeas of course. I'm thinking something like peanuts.

add cumin and lime zest(if you're not gonna switch to lemons like that other poster recommended)

Try toasted pine nuts.

maybe try switching to juicing your own citrus? fresh juice is usually more flavorful

This. There's no reason not to use fresh citrus. Stuff is cheap and available. Bottled lime/lemon juice is really a relic from a dark time. Throw that shit away.

>bottled lime juice
If you're talking about those little lemon or lime shaped plastic bottles, get a fresh lime and compare the taste. The only lemon or lime juice I've had that was anywhere near a squeezed lemon or lime was from a restaurant purveyor or frozen concentrate in a store.

>chick peas
>tahini
>salt
>lemon juice
>olive oil
>garlic
That's ALL you need to make god tier hummus. However, the answer to your question is very simple- more garlic.

Just re-read the original post. Start with 5 cloves of garlic per can of peas, then go from there.

keep it more simple

>tahini
>chickpeas pref. dried
> 1 whole lemon juiced
> olive oil
> salt
> about a cup of the chickpea water
> pinch of cumin

bottled citrus juice is important when ph matters because it's standardized and more acidic than fresh

not that it matters in this context

Try this. /thread

figtreeandvine.com/blogs/recipes/fourth-of-july-serve-israeli-style-masabacha-as-your-party-dip

>How do I make the taste of hummus sharper?
>I'm currently using bottled lime juice
kys