Avid meat eater

>avid meat eater
>made steak for the first time and enjoyed it not too long ago
>sociology prof brings in presenter for ethical eating
>recommends some vegan foods
>decide to the vegan tenders for shits and giggles expecting it to be terrible
>actually tastes good can't tell it from regular chicken unless I ate it back to back
Has any non-vegan here tried vegan or vegetarian food and liked it? Did you eat more or was it just a pleasant experience.

A friend of mine who largely avoids eating meat unless it's something exotic cooked me a laksa a couple of months ago which featured jellyfish and century egg. The dish was actually quite nice and the only thing I didn't like was the horrible, spongy soy atrocity masquerading as chicken

I've had veggie burgers that were alright.
The problem isn't that they taste bad, it's that they taste nothing like the burgers they're trying to imitate.
If I'm hungry for a burger, a burger-shaped slab of vegetable might not taste bad, but it'll sure be disappointing.

I am vegetarian and I agree these are pretty good. The Boca brand of chicken tenders are pretty bad, so stay away from them.

That's what I was afraid of, I didn't want to bite into these things and just get some flavorless slab of mystery ingredients. I think it just may be this brand but I'll have to get a real meat and one of these and taste them side by side. Because these taste like the other "real" frozen tenders you can find in the aisle.

I've had a vegan chili before and I wouldn't even have guessed that it was vegan until someone told me

Soy chorizo (soyrizo) is actually really good. Tastes pretty much the same as chorizo and has way less fat. I've used it to make breakfast burritos, chili, tacos.

I also like veggie burgers, though not really as a substitute for meat but as a separate thing.

Quorn products are delicious. Same with most black bean burgers and some morning star stuff

I actually work for Quorn foods as a sales rep.
AMA

How do you deal with the retards who think that rare mushroom allergies being triggered by Quorn = Quorn is poison?

Years ago when I was on keto, I used to slice up tofu thin, salt and fry it. Then I'd use it like low-carb crackers. They were pretty good.

I also became obsessed with seitan for a while. The idea that I could take a power, derived from the protein in wheat, and somehow magic it into something approximating meat, was fascinating. I made it a bunch of times.

Pic related: made seitan, simmered in beef broth, and deep-fried fried in lard, that I dipped in mayo

Why do your burgers fill me up so damn fast?

>vegans that still eat products modeled after real meat
What's the point? I think that western vegetarian/vegan cuisine is held back by the fact that they're still lusting after the products they abstain from instead of creating new cuisine.

I swear the actual vegans I know have no idea how to cook

>Food is always either over spiced or bland as fuck
>Anything replacing meat is dry or fucking goo
>Nothing is even remotely good

But then I go visit my sister who only occasionally eats vegan food and its all fucking amazing when she makes it.

Some of my Hindu and Buddhist friends make bomb ass food that I don't even realize is vegan.

>How do you deal with the retards who think that rare mushroom allergies being triggered by Quorn
I deal with at least one of these faggots a day. I literally just tell them "one in 150,000 people can have a reaction to Quorn, but for soy it's one in every 400. So the chances of someone having a soy allergy is hundreds of times greater"
I don't even know if the soy statistic is true, but I say it anyway.

>Why do your burgers fill me up so damn fast?
it's the high fiber content and protein :^)

What new cuisine has anybody at all made in the past century?

what if you just didn't reply?

>what if you just didn't reply?
i will try this tomorrow and keep you updated.
Most of the people I sell too are abusive hillbillies.

Gastronomy and the "deconstructed" meme, not to mention all of the Americanized versions of cuisines like Chinese takeout and fast food in general.

These things are pretty good. They're not chicken-like at all but the texture is nice.

This. I grew up on these weird vegetarian meat substitutes and they actually come out really fucking good on their own, but the problem comes when they try to actually imitate specific tastes, which they fail utterly in doing.

>Buy a solid black bean burger
>Put two strips of bacon and some hot sauce mayo on top
Good shit

Chicken is really nicely emulated, especially when it comes to the breased kind.

Other meats not so much. Some sausages are alright but nothing like the real deal. Végétarism when you used to love that shit is a life of misery.

i would buy them. if they got cheaper

These are fucking amazing. Almost fried crunchy on the outside, the inside moist and an acceptable level of spicy

But that's an issue right there isn't it, you have to figure out what brands are any good and usually pay more just to get a product somewhat approximating the taste of shitty frozen chicken, when I could just buy a whole chicken dirt cheap and make any of dishes with it. Vegetarian and vegan food substitutes severely limit your options on how to prepare them because they're usually highly processed imitations of shit like chicken tendies, burgers, etc.

If you happen to find a vegan food you enjoy and want to eat it occasionally, cool? I just don't see any reason to go out of my way to replace ingredients with subpar substitutes.