Why aren't you hand washing your dishes?

Why aren't you hand washing your dishes?

Face it, you're living alone, it's cleaner and probably faster as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

accuratebuilding.com/services/legal/charts/hot_water_burn_scalding_graph.html
menshealth.com/best-life/dishwasher-settings
treehugger.com/kitchen-design/built-in-dishwashers-vs-hand-washing-which-is-greener.html
dailyhealthpost.com/let-your-dishwasher-do-its-job-why-washing-your-dishes-by-hand-is-less-clean-and-efficient-than-you-think-11063/
rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/washing-dishes-dishwasher-vs-hand-washing
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>implying most of Veeky Forums isn't living in their parent's basement

I use disposables.

I'm rich enough to buy a 1-drawer dishwasher.
It's way faster in a machine, are you crazy?

It's not faster considering it takes a couple seconds to put something in the dishwasher and less than 30 seconds to start it.

>Face it, you're living alone, it's cleaner
It's objectively not if your dishwasher has a sanitizer option that heats the incoming water up to 150°F/65°C which kills 99% of bacteria. Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute exposure could result in third-degree burns.
accuratebuilding.com/services/legal/charts/hot_water_burn_scalding_graph.html
menshealth.com/best-life/dishwasher-settings

It acts like the boiling process used in canning/jarring.

Gotta be honest, if you wear a uniform to work then it's probably better to hand-wash those too.

Delicate wash by hand with a pre-soak in deodorizing solution gives the best results; run them through a spin and drain cycle in the washer and then hang them up to dry by air and you'll look like a seriously professional dapper motherfucker at work.

Because I use paper plates and I don't clean my cutlery at all. The dried food on it improves the flavor.

This. The dishwasher also uses way less water and therefore less energy to heat the water up.

Its better for your skin too. The more "skin friendly" your dishwashing detergent is, the less effective it is at actually cleaning your dishes.

And disposable dishes are truly nigger-tier shit. Kinda expensive in the long run too.

>The dried food on it improves the flavor.
This. Why doesn't my mom think I'm telling the truth?

>having a machine throw soapy water at dishes is faster and more efficient than scrubbing the grime off directly

Soap is plenty enough to wash bacteria off plates just like it does hands. Also your plates will stay clean as they're dry.

>dishwashers use less water
This is only true if you hand wash like a retard. Seriously, how is spraying water at your dishes for 40 minutes supposed to "save water"?

It also take a couple seconds to wash a dish, also you don't have to wait 20 minutes for the cycle to finish.

>the antibacterial meme
It's your own home for heaven's sake, if there really was so much bacteria, then you'd be sick all the time.

I built a house, wanted more cabinet space than anything else, "OH SHIT WHERE DOES THE DISH WASHER GO?!". I never put one in. Hot water, soap and scrub brush totally kills all our germs. Fuck anyone that isnt in the family circle.

shut up nerd lmao

Have fun cleaning this without a dishwasher

Run the grate under the faucet then switch it around. Get it together, Tyrone.

I've never understood how people soak their dishes in a soap filled container, like literally all their dishes and then wash it with that same liquid, no sponge, no nothing.

I was disgusted back in my food tech class years ago that these uncivilized people ate from these very same dishes.

It's not cleaner. Dish washers kill significantly more bacteria than hand washing. That's not necessarily a good thing though. Regular exposure to a bacteria is what keeps our immune system strong. Excessive use of hand sanitizer is also bad for this reason.

Only thing I hate about my dishwasher is she nags too much.

even though i have a $1600 dishwasher i still prefer to handwash my dishes after working in a kitchen out of habit and speed

>Excessive use of hand sanitizer is also bad for this reason.

Especially when you have small cuts on your hands. If you don't know you have any small cuts on your hands, sanitizer is a good way to find out.

Kekd

People survived hundreds of years without soap, let alone washing dishes with it. I don't think I need a dishwasher to sanitize my dishes. The luxury is nice, but but a necessity.

Anyway, more exposure builds immunity.

>People survived hundreds of years without soap

Try 200,000 years unless you're one of the retards that believe the earth is 6000 years old and man walked with dinosaurs.

it's not about killing bacteria in the end, it's about what's more efficient. using a dishwasher is more efficient that's just the way it is user.

>the less effective it is at actually cleaning your dishes.

Are you trying to sterilise your dishes after each meal or is it enough to just remove any grease and food crumbs/residue so making them suitable for eating again?

People are so germophobic nowadays it's ridiculous.

People got on fine before dishwashers were invented.

Because I have a dish washer.

Soaking it in basin of soapy hot water is fine to loosen food substances and grease but really, a scourer to go over dishes and then rinsing them in running water is what should be done in conjunction with it.

>it's about what's more efficient. using a dishwasher is more efficient that's just the way it is user.

Except it's more costly and energy and water intensive.

I hand wash my knives and my pans. Everything else hits the dishwasher.

Fight me.

The house I'm renting has a dishwasher so I use it, previously I hand washed everything and it wasnt much of a hassle but it's there and it's convenient so why not. Also sometimes I have friends over for dinner, I no longer have to have people wash dishes like I did in college

This. But I also handwash the cooking utensils like spatulas, ladles, whisks, wood spoons, etc. because we're only 2 people and it takes a couple days to fill up the dishwasher.

We store stuff in our dishwasher lol I'm 24 and I've never used one. I prefer a nice spotless dish washed by hand

Sadly im a fucking retard with massive oak as countertop in my kitchen so i use the dishwasher just to keep it from getting excessively wet.

I still do

I handwash first and after that throw everything in the dishwasher for double the clean. I need a new dishwasher though, mine works poorly.

I though this to at first but studys show that you have a stronger immune system by washing by hand vs using a dishwasher

You know, its actually the removed grease which is bad. Detergent removes fat and oil not only from your dishes but also from your skin. Ever heard of dry skin?.
Excessive hand washing is bad for your skin, and washing dishes by hand does the same. You soak your hands in soapy water for a long time, leaching out all the natural oils and fats in your skin.

I have a dishwasher but I've never used it in the 4 years I've lived in this apartment. I enjoy washing my dishes by hand. It's fun.

You know we have these things called rubber gloves

I do.
I don't like dishwashers and I don't know why.

Leaving shit on your plate will cause some pretty gnarly stuff to grow, which will then go into you the next time you put something off the plate and into your mouth.

>Pour liquid soap on sponge
>Squeeze a few times to distribute soap and bubbles throughout sponge
>Rinse plate with hot water
>Pass sponge over surface of plate
>Rinse again

At what point am I dunking my hands into soapy water in this process?

I'm clumsy. I break more dishes when I hand-wash than when I don't.

It's far less efficient than machine washing. I wish I could fit one in my kitchen, but the position of the sink makes it impossible to install a drain line for a dish washer.

Raw meat can contaminate other dishes. I'd rather not mix chicken juices on my coffee cups without spraying off the bacteria.

Using the mist/spray option on your faucet works well.

Fuck you.

because I'm scared of the little bits of wet food that float in the sink

No, it isn't. By a long shot.

treehugger.com/kitchen-design/built-in-dishwashers-vs-hand-washing-which-is-greener.html

dailyhealthpost.com/let-your-dishwasher-do-its-job-why-washing-your-dishes-by-hand-is-less-clean-and-efficient-than-you-think-11063/

rodalesorganiclife.com/wellbeing/washing-dishes-dishwasher-vs-hand-washing

Post a picture of your sink.

Honestly dishwashers are for convenience and are considered a high luxury in my area, so I never had one. I wash dishes all the time and I find it kind of relaxing.

No one in this thread mentioned using heavy duty rubber gloves for dishes and I'm not surprised. Wearing gloves for washing and cleaning the house improved my life. Those bits of food and grime you're afraid of getting on you? No problem. High heat? The thickness of the glove stunts it a little so it's only warm. It even lets you use strong as fuck detergent without your skin drying out and defatting after the wash.

I have to handwash because my dishwasher sucks. Hand washing is not so bad but sometimes I get lazy and have like a sink full to do up. I also toss them in the dishwasher to dry instead of drying them with a rag or sitting them on a towel or something. I'd say if I washed a days worth of dishes by hand it might take me 2-3 minutes. A few days worth maybe 10 minutes. Not including soaking some first. I also have a disposal which makes getting rid of leftover food more convenient. But yeah, fuck dishwashers.

I live alone and it takes me about a week to fill up my dishwasher. The problem i get is ants, even if I keep the dishwasher closed tight the ants still find a way in there. I'm not sure where all the ants end up when I run a cycle, I've checked the filter thing in the bottom of the dishwasher but there's no sign of any ants. I guess they get dissolved by the dishwasher chemical tablet and the hot water and go down the drain.

'Cause that's what the magic cleaning box is for.

Better question, OP:

Why don't you mind your own god damn business?

This is like saying manual toothbrush is cleaner and better than electric
you retard

I never use the dishwasher because things come out of it with a soapy residue left on them

Which means I then have to wash it again, so it's less effort to just wash it straight away

Does anyone else get this? Not only our current dishwasher, but the last one did it too

Also dishwashers can bake things onto the plate (yes you should rinse plates first before putting them in to prevent this, but AGAIN, I have to rinse things so thoroughly to prevent this, that I may as well just wash the damn thing up)

You're doing something wrong then. No it definitely should not come with a soapy residue. Look at what tablets you're using though, they matter. It's not a bad idea to pick a good eco-friendly one as well.

>65°C which kills 99% of bacteria
Sorry, buddy. The commercials lied to you.

>putting a vibrator in your mouth cleans your tooth better

Please.

>tfw i have to wash by hand because no dishwasher in my shit apartment

I hate it so much. I've been putting it off for weeks and just eating pizza off paper towels.

What shithole country do you live in where there are commercials selling 65°C water?

you can hand wash dishes faster than you can load and unload a dishwasher. dishwashers are just wasteful

Dishwashers:
>use more water
>use more energy
>take far more time
>get the dishes less clean

But at least your soft, womanly hands won't get all wrinkly, right?

>take far more time
Time I don't have to spend washing the fucking dishes. I just load it, hit a button, and go about my day.

>no having a Blastmaster™ 6000 compressor hooked up to your dishwasher
>he actually has to scrub his dishes by hand
You might think I'm memeing, but im not. Get a dishwasher that isnt cheapshit.

>My time is worthless so I can stand there washing dishes

>I am so poor that I need to budget my time by literally giving it monetary value

You must be poor.
Poor people don't budget their time which is why they end up poor. Wealthy people don't waste their time on bullshit task.

Do you make so little at your job that you have to plan out every second of your free time? That you can't afford to spend ten minutes acting out on a whim?

How many hours do you work a day where washing the dishes is cutting into your work hours?

I'm not shitposting anymore here: it sounds like you're so poor that you can't comprehend what it's like to not need to work. You should save up for a plane ticket out of whatever shithole country you live in. Even part-time minimum wage in the first world can provide abundant luxuries such as "having free time".

Free time is for doing things you enjoy. If you're doing something you dislike doing its time you could be doing something you enjoy or making more money to allow you more time to do things you enjoy.

Also my part time work as a dev (since I'm a grad student), puts me slightly above the median for household income.

faster than leaving them dirty?

Fuck you!

But I do. I have a dishwasher, but I never use it. Much better to be done with it as soon as you're done instead of loading up your dishwasher and then having to waste 10 minutes putting shit away.

I am because our dishwasher is a barren wasteland

I always wash my dishes by hand. It's relaxing and seems to keep the dishes in better condition. Some dishwashers scratch the dishes over the years so that the surface is eventually full of small scratches.

I do.

Fuck off.

This, plus any mugs/dishes that are specifically not dishwasher safe.

Never put your knives in the dishwasher.

Why do people act like a dishwasher is a luxury item when they cost less than a laptop and run for at least ten years?

K...

Change cleaning products, genius.
The soapy residue is, I think, the film they advertise as "washes so clean there isn't even water marks after drying". I live with drying my dishes with a paper towel if I want them sparking clean, or with some infinitesimal amount of limescale.

Do you have one that measures water and not electrical power?

Because typically you need a house to go around the dish washer. Most american's can't afford one of those, so they live in tiny apartments that don't already come with a dishwasher and if it doesn't already come with a dishwasher what the fuck are you supposed to do? Cut a hole in the kitchen counter?

>Most adults will suffer third-degree burns if exposed to 150 degree water for two seconds. Burns will also occur with a six-second exposure to 140 degree water or with a thirty second exposure to 130 degree water. Even if the temperature is 120 degrees, a five minute exposure could result in third-degree burns.
That's why you wear rubber gloves, user.

Don't get me wrong. If I had a dishwasher, I would use it for most things, and it's more efficient. But this is a stupid thing to go on about.

Do you have hard water? That can cause soap scum. It doesn't only stick to your shower. It sticks to skin, and probably dishes as well.

I fucking wish I was living alone

I only have a bowl, a pot, & a hobo knife (fork/knife/spoon combo). Needing anything else just proves you are a social try hard.

What the fuck am i supposed to do with the money I earn if I can't buy anythingbeyond a fork and knife?

Pile it up like Walter White?

Breed and spend it on raising your children.

>If you're doing something you dislike doing its time you could be doing something you enjoy or making more money to allow you more time to do things you enjoy

>poor people believe this

>Step-sister over at house, I'm babysitting, she's 14 (don't fucking make it one of Those threads)
>hey user can I make an omelette
>sure
>watch her crack open eggs into dish, fingers covered in goop
>she goes to sink
>washes with water, but no f u c k i n g s o a p
>reaches for my towels
>pic related screamed at her in panic

DON'T GIVE ME SALMONELLA ON MY WASHING TOWELS YOU STUPID BITCH

>He shitpost on Veeky Forums because he is poor

I don't have room for a dishwasher in my kitchen

feelsbadman

your protestations tell us that you probably overcook your eggs, that's the real crime here. Water is a decent solvent, and it's the physical scrubbing that removes most bacteria, and unless you got some real diseased egg or you're immunocompromised both you and your towel will be fine

DUDE, i was dating a girl and
>we wuz cooking breakfast
>cracking eggs for pancakes and omelettes
>i wash my hands and ask if she wants the water cold or warm
>"why, i didn't get any of the insides on me"
>explain it's the outside that's also pretty filthy
>"but i didn't get any on me"
>"ok, well: my kitchen, my rules"
>gesture to the sink, still-running water, and soap

She gave me shit all the time about washing my hands after that