Starter knife

what knife should I get for starting out cooking senpai? what to stay away from?

Other urls found in this thread:

chefsarmoury.com/collections/mcusta-zanmai-hachi/products/mcusta-zanmai-hachi-210mm-chef-knife
amazon.com/Mcusta-Zanmai-Gyuto-Knife-240mm/dp/B01867B94E/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1495375810&sr=8-19&keywords=Mcusta Zanmai
youtu.be/cWU_qTp3DLM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I had a Victorinox similar to that.
Great for starters.

G2 master race reporting in.

Grow your finger nails really long and use them

what is this? I cant read the stamp

get a gyuto if ur a weeaboo and wanna do some samurai tricks on your edibles

Don't buy the knife in your picture, it's way overpriced

Get some $15 plastic handle knives from the restaurant supply store and spend the savings on sharpening gear

When you get good at sharpening, the next step up would be a Tojiro

No knife required real men use shovel

I can only make out IKEA

you fucking people should buy Cutco, because you're cutco people.

Cheap one that feels good in your hand and hone it regularly until it is shit and then replace with a slightly more expensive one.

Real men do not coock

Why not cold steel shovel I use that to cut my food and I'm not poor

I also mean for cutting your food

Get yourself a good ol' cleaver. The large surface will make it impossible to cut yourself, also it can be used to chop bones, smash garlic, you name it. It's literally the only knife you need.

this is the answer

>chop bones
Confirmed for never even having seen a cleaver in real life.

A cai dao is not a cleaver, it's a vegetable knife.

I thought it was a church where they worship Jules Verne

Don't get one of those knives with the cheap rough plastic handle. They're super unbalanced because the plastic is so light, and they're super slippery if your hands get even the least bit wet. Feels like I'm in danger of losing a finger every time I go to wash the damn thing because it's so slick.

One of these

chefsarmoury.com/collections/mcusta-zanmai-hachi/products/mcusta-zanmai-hachi-210mm-chef-knife

I started out with a hoe, myself. It took me a while to build up the strength and coordination to handle the full size and weight of a shovel, especially with the finer cuts on small vegetables. The learning curve to use sharpening stones was also much easier on the hoe since the blade is straight instead of curved. Just my 2 cents. I've read some other threads about modding the hoe by trimming a few inches off the handle and sanding it down for better weight distribution, but never tried myself.

>"The blade is made from totally respectable AUS8 stainless steel"

Totally.

>"Unlike other knife manufacturers in Japan MCUSTA employ methods such as laser cutting"

Listen, I'm not going to pass judgement on the knife. I'm sure it's a fine blade. But those fuckers need to find someone else to write their product descriptions because it comes off as a scam

That's just chefsarmourys description, I've got it and it's a pretty good knife and it does hold an edge pretty decent for a stainless steel knife, I got it as a gift so I can't really complain, I am gonna get myself a nice carbon steel knife when I'm not broke as fuck though

Heres one without the wankery, amazon.com/Mcusta-Zanmai-Gyuto-Knife-240mm/dp/B01867B94E/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1495375810&sr=8-19&keywords=Mcusta Zanmai

This is the best advice. Cheaper knives are easier to sharpen. You need to learn to sharpen knives properly before buying something expensive.

>sharpening gear

Don't fall for the whetstone meme, kids. It's a colossal hipster waste of time. Invest in a decent electric knife sharpener and use the time you save to actually cook.

No.

Fucking retard.

underrated post

>hipster in denial about his expensive Japanese whetstones that require 15 minutes of work to do what a machine can in 15 seconds
>and that's for just ONE knife

No faggot, I am not some fag hipster using whetstones for just one knife, I own tons of different knives, chefs knives, hunting knives, machetes etc and I sharpen knives for others, sharpening with a stone gives knives edges that last longer and cut better.

So you're a fag hipster using whetstones for all your knives and wasting hours of time for the self-gratification of having "done it yourself" and the false rationalization that "it must be sharper because this is how the samurai did it!"

Do you have any tips for shovel cutting?

I am not a hipster at all mate, I just like camping and cooking and I've found that sharpening by hand performs better, I've used those pull through sharpeners before and my knives performed fucking terrible

Ja/ck/ pls go
Take your party cheese salad with you

Not him, but those machines are indeed shit. They will grind the edge of your knife into a wedge because they can only remove metal at a fixed angle near the edge, where as the entire side of the knife needs thinning as it wears to preserve the profile. It doesn't matter how sharp the edge is if in immediately transitions to a 3mm wide chunk with angled profile that you have to push through your onion or whatever. They also have problems with heat as there is no water bath on those cheap as shit diamond grinder.

If you insist on sharpening by machine, which is fine, at least learn how and why first. Get a proper machine, with water cooling and lubrication, and the various wheels and adjustments needed to produce anything but an axe with a burr edge.
Or, since that costs a lot of money, is dirty, noisy and occupies a fair bit of space - take the practical route and use a wetstone. It save time, money, space and effort if you only have a handful of knives that see use. If you're a professional sharper - get the machinery.

Reddit, please. Next you'll be telling me the only pan you need is cast iron to.

I don't give a shit about cast iron, I give a shit about keeping my knives sharp and making sure they last a long time.

>does not refute a single even peripheral point
>changes subject
BTFO

Now go play with your daytime TV marketing housewife toys.

Not taking sides one way or the other, but sometimes people just enjoy the tedium. My wife, for example, like pulling clumps of fur off our dogs when a brush would be about 50x faster. She says it's like her bonsai tree and relaxes her. I could see how working with stones, steel, and water could be very relaxing until you cut your arm off because you're a little too relaxed.

A full-tang chef's knife

noob pleb. Electric sharpener makes a curve in yourblade, and renders the knife useless after a few whirls.Buy a square whetstone or a good grindingmachine with whetstone. Regards a butcher with 20 years practice

This faggot has literally been stalking every thread about knives on Veeky Forums for at least the last two fucking years shitposting them to death.

Just ignore him.

Get yourself an 8" victorinox chefs, and a thick bladed parer (the tsuki one from nisbets is gr8)
A cheap fullsize steel
And the cheapest whetstone you can afford
Learn how to properly use the above and work from there

Its from GLOBAL. I'd recognize those handles anywhere, even on a tiny 128x128px thumbnail

Ikea 365, a good cheap Global knockoff.

>not sure if bait or genuinely retarded
Those are IKEA and are ribbed rather than dimpled.

Those things are unbalanced as fuck. Enjoy your sore wrists.

Whups, I really should put on my reading contacts.

Guy you're mad at here. The guy you're replying to is someone else. More than one person has seen the light, I see.

Also buy Chef's Choice now with more Trivox™

If you don't use this you cut onions do you even know how to onion?

I got pic related for $30 and it's certainly not half bad, but as others have recommended some random $15 8-inch chef's knife from a restaurant supply store will probably serve you just as well. Don't break the bank on your first knife, as you'll just be wasting money. Just don't buy 'goodcook' or any other garbage tier knife that you'll find in a grocery store and you'll be alright.

>sharpening knives yourself
stupid plebs, I just bring em to the shop

I pay other people to change the oil in my car and rotate the tires, but I also don't post on whatever the fuck the car board is called.

So what are you doing here?

focusing on cooking and my ingredients rather than spending money on tools so I might damage my knives

It costs $6 to get my knife sharpened and I know they both have better tools and are significantly better trained than I am. It would cost a significant amount of money to buy quality tools myself and many hours of practice before I was minimally proficient sharpening knives. Knowing this, getting my knife sharpened once every few months doesn't feel like much of a cost.

Investing in quality tools and learning how to maintain them so that you save money in the long run and produce anything other than a shit product is just as much a part of cooking as it is any other craft.

In my opinion, the best way for a beginner to learn to freehand sharpen is buy buying a cheap knife to practice on, buying a Norton India IB8 combination coarse/fine oilstone, buying some light mineral oil, and practicing what you see in this video until you can reliably reproduce the level of sharpness obtained at the end of the video:

youtu.be/cWU_qTp3DLM

Unless you know for a fact that you have a local shop that hand sharpens knives and you are willing to pay what they charge for hand sharpening, I would strongly recommend taking your knives to a random shop to be sharpened.

Most commercial knife sharpening is done using power grinding which has a high chance of leaving a heat-damaged, heavily burred edge that will go dull again extremely quickly in use.

really if you're new to cooking a $20 chef's knife (as long as its not a serrated piece of shit) from Tj Maxx will be literally no different to you than a $400 german or japanese knife.

Get yourself an inexpensive knife with a full tang that has good balance and couple $3 ikea polyethylene cutting board and slice away.

Victorinox +1, and get the steel as well to keep that fucker sharp

you could buy a new $20 every year for 15 years and still not come close to the price of a high-end knife. it's not about saving money - it's about wanting a finer instrument. Don't lie to yourself.

Gtfoh

>and produce anything other than a shit product

You can sharpen a $20 knife like a pro but it will never perform like a $100 knife.