Sharpening basics

Hey co/ck/s
I want to start sharpening my own knives, both because they need sharpening and for "hobby".

I'm not on a particularly good budget, but not entirely poor either.

Tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cWU_qTp3DLM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Get 15 japanese whetstones with different grits and post about your superior sharpening on Veeky Forums. Your knives will be extremely sharp.

I'm pretty new here but why can't you just sharpen one knife with another one's dull edge? That's how I do it anyways.

because no.
you basically try to realign the edge, what most people have a honinh steel for, that doesnt make your knife any sharper though, just realignes the blade to a, hopefully, more central position.

to op, a good wetstone will be about 40-60

Hardness and "abrasiveness".
Steel-on-steel is not gonna sharpen much. Same hardness, smooth surface.

Thanks, this is the kind of advice I want.
Would it be a waste of money to go cheaper?

Also, "combo" stones, good starting stones or meme?
What grits to start with? I see many stones with 1000/4000 to 4000/8000, what's a decent inbetween?

Not him, but it is a waste of money to go cheaper, combo stones are a bit silly (though I have owned a few) and 1000-2000-ish is a good starting point if you're only going to own one stone. It will not give a mirror finish, but a fair amount of micro serration that will make the blade feel sharp and keep. It will remove metal at a decent rate and soak quickly.
Look up the Naniwa Aotoshi/green brick at CKTG. It's the only stone you will need for now.

What really helped me get a consistent edge was using a sharpening aid (don't know if that's the proper English term).
They are basically small metal pieces you clip on the back of the knife and they ensure a consistent angle of your edge. Only cost a few dollars and work well on most knifes with a symmetric blade.

I got a double sided sharpening stone from the local asian market for like $2.00, it gets them pretty sharp

>dry stone
protips : don't follow the source of that picture

In my opinion, the best way for a beginner to learn to freehand sharpen is buy buying a cheap knife to practice on, buying a Norton India IB8 combination coarse/fine oilstone, buying some light mineral oil, and practicing what you see in this video until you can reliably reproduce the level of sharpness obtained at the end of the video:

youtu.be/cWU_qTp3DLM

If you get a chance I'd really like to see pics of those things so I know what to look for.

Found them on amazoncom, look for knife sharpening guides or sharpening rails.
I've got the Chroma ST-G Knife Sharpening Guide Rails, they were cheap and work well for me but there are several other brands and models.
If you get them make sure to put some tape on the back of the knife before clipping them on. During sharpening some of the abrasion might otherwise get under the guides and cause scratches.

Using one of these does wonders, every chef should own one.

I've tried using one of these and I cannot tell the difference between before and after.

Hmm, not even a cook, but when I have a sharp knife that feels like it's not cutting as well, when I strop it against the steel there is a noticeable improvement in cutting.

If you take a sharp knife to it, it does improve it quiet a bit. Literally before each use of a knife you should take it to the steel a few swipes.

But if you're taking a dull knife you've never sharpened on a sharpening stone, you're actually doing more harm to the knife.

Holy shit this thread has bad advice. Take your post to

You might just get someone who knows what they're talking about. Or like a million videos on YouTube showing how.

you are the stupidest person here so far,you dull cunt,
for example this post and link is right on
stop acting like a stupid goat please

what is the best knife set for bathroom use?

Japaneze made toilet sword collection.

>best knife set for bathroom use?
are going to pick your ass with it,or what?

What are you going to cut with it?
turds?

you know for like under the door and stuff

what door? what stuff?

the bathroom door.
will a serrated watermelon pattern knife work then? its not very intimidating but it could cut a bread easily.

you don't need fucking knife to cut toilet paper in the bathroom,moron.
Toilet paper has perforated cuts in it to make it easy to tear it a'part as much as you need for your fat ass.

I got myself one of these from aliexpress.
There are some stupidly expensive jigs like it, but this is great to start with.

If possible, get multiple 200grit, 400, 600, 1000, 1500 diamomd " stones".
That's enough but since shits so cheap, you can try the higher grit stones.

I've been sharpening knives since I was a kid and I wasnt aware of these jigs. They change your life.

can I sharpen my knives with this?

I use this to sharpen my oboe reed scraping knives. Works very well (If you know how to properly sharpen a knife). I am sure it would be good for kitchen knives as well.

what about this?

looks like it would destroy the knife, probably better for a sword or an ax

>can i sharpen knives with this knife sharpening system?
You're a special kind of retard.

I use one like that for chisels and wood scrapers, but I don't know if it would work for a kitchen knife.

Yeah, works just fine. I use that one for my own kitchen knives. They used to come packaged with bits and clamps for the job.

I think the correct word is straight razor. Dovo probably is the best

Yes. That is literally the exact stone I recommended in this post

Poop scissors don't have to be very sharp so you can take in any old blade really

also make sure to lie about your own proficiency and screeech autistically at anyone who does thing in a more effective way

and write a 15 page post about it

dovo a shit

iwasaki or GTFO

My bf sharpened all my dollar store knifes with a coffee cup. How? I have no idea

My guess would be that he used the bottom of the ceramic cup, most of them have rim that is not covered by the glaze.