How do you feel about boiling meat?

I personally can't fucking stand the thought or smell of it. but other people in my house are doing it right now, and while i'm stuffed in this room I figured I might get a consensus and see where it stands here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nDJjbXgWpNA?t=52
ruhlman.com/2011/10/french-onion-soup-recipe/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_stew
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

only when im sick

I boil chicken breasts for salad/casserole meat all the time. I've heard that people avoid boiling because it's too dry, but I don't know what they're doing. It always comes out perfectly moist for me.

By boiling, do you mean the crock pot?

Boiling meat for certain dishes can make the meat better for prep.

Stop being a little bitch about it

Makes for amazing oxtail pho soup, or any pho in general.

they cook it too long, which causes the muscle fibers to tense and wring out juices.

no, in a pot open flame roaring boil.

and I'm sure it does, but not in the house I was raised in. boiled meat chunks and potatos was what was for dinner.

that does look pretty good.

not everything needs to be friend and roasted, fat bro. boiled meat is healthier, and the boiling liquid can be used as base for soup/stew or when boiled with bones and vegetables made into stock.

I boil macaco when I choose to eat it

>roaring boil.
There's your problem.
Turn down heat and simmer. Good luck finding the right spot with gas, induction is master race here.
Ask for what cuts are in the pot. Some are good simmered for hours, some can't be boiled and will be hard as rubber.

Boiling meat for stews is perfectly fine.

Also gulasch

I usually just boil meats for a soup.

You'd have to be retarded or English to do this shit.

Uma delicia

I think the only meat I've ever boiled is meatballs in Italian wedding soup, I usually fry and then add stock on top for soups

I like a nice braisse but that much water is just overkill to me. I mean, they dont even have potatoes and carrots in there. You might as well just make a stew at that point

>How do you feel about boiling meat?
Couldn't make carnitas without it. Quit being a little bitch. You ain't Gordon Ramsay

Yeah, this. No one with any knowledge cooks meat at a roaring boil. Even corned beef which is really the only non-braise style liquid meat cooking I do is at a simmer. I consider my stews more of a braise even though the meat is fully submerged because I always brown it prior to simmering in the liquid. Even my homemade stocks are simmered, not a roaring boil.

>what is stock?

I pressure cook a lot of meals

Something that isn't boiled.

I boil chicken and rice for my dog when he has an upset stomach
I wouldnt eat that shit myself though

lol I thought that was the pic of that Brazilian guys monkey soup.

I thought it was disgusting until I helped make some tamales and she boiled the pork. Heavenly.

Literally nothing wrong.
How are you going to make soup without meat broth, genius?

sear off your meat and get some colour on it first so it doesn't look like ass

I cook a corned beef every now and then and it is real nice

With water like a normal person

I make broth out of roasted bones/marrow. not muscle tissue.

>broth
*stock

I bet you also think their is a difference between bone broths and stock.

A broth is made with meat not bones user.

*there

it can be, but not necessary.
A consomme is made with stock and is most certainly a broth soup.

you had to boil meat for pic related

Boiling is a nono but simmering meat gets nice and soft without getting dry

crock pot ribs, poached chicken, and corned beef stew are all great, but even the vegetables in soups and stews should be sauteed first

I tought it was an universal thing after you make stock. You are left with a tasty broth and lots of leftover meat to make all kinds of dishes, from meatballs, pairing them with sauces or simply eat them with the leftover vegetables with or without soup.

My mom used to make oxtail soup all the time.
It was white

best way to prepare meat
Boiled Bratwurst in Sauerkraut with spƤtzle

>normal person
Except most of the most popular soups are traditionally made with stock or broth.

>traditionally made
Ha no. Maybe if you were a king.

I've heard bad things about boiling meat but I'll do it for soups and shredded chicken

I feel like it's murder all over again. Now lets talk about how disgusting boiled chicken is.

>only king's cooks saved trimmings to make broth and stock out of
Ha no. Maybe if you were a pleb who had no clue how to make the most out of your food.

Take it away Mario Batali
youtu.be/nDJjbXgWpNA?t=52

or how about Michael Ruhlman.
ruhlman.com/2011/10/french-onion-soup-recipe/
>don't be tempted to use stock!
So now you have a Writer about French cuisine and cooking methods and an Italian trained chef who lived in italy for years telling you that most people didn't use stock.

And yet, if you talk to or read most food historians, they will talk about the practice of stock and broth making being a normal and economical thing.
Recipes do not often call for it because recipes are set to be guidelines and often play to the lowest common denominator.
Of course, if you're talking to a bunch of modern Italian or French grandmothers, they're not going to be talking about going through the effort of keeping and using all that stuff because the economy has long since passed the absolute need for it and kitchens aren't typically designed around that style of cooking anymore.
I've seen Batali do plenty of other horrible things before, too. Being a great chef doesn't make someone infallible.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_stew

Sure, clear water is great when you want to have only the taste of fresh vegetables.
If you want a more hearty dish, you make stock with relevant ingredients, and cook similarly as before fresh ingredients.
If you don't care about distinct taste of each ingredients, many dishes are like that, you can use more generic stocks.

What region and time period are you two talking about? I think you're a few centuries apart.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_stew
The beginning of the stew started with ale or water. They didn't make a stock, discard the bones/meat to use as an ingredient for another dish. So I'm wondering what you meant by linking that.

I used to hang out with these Maoris from New Zealand, they used to do this thing called a boil up.
It was pretty much just all the cheap bones and offcuts they got from a butcher and they'd boil it for a few hours while we all got drunk and talked shit.
Then we'd sit around the table and eat the meat from the bones. It was surprisingly good, the meat was really tender and you could slurp the marrow from the bones. Good times

Only for soups

is it like sous vide just without the bags????

Boiling meat is fine, but I would always sear it beforehand...I just think without any roasted bits it's like...bland.