Does anyone cook in a wok at home? Is it worth?

Does anyone cook in a wok at home? Is it worth?

I make my stir fry in a frying pan. I haven't ate from a wok since my 5th grade teacher made us stir fry for Japan day.

>Japan day
u fokin wot?

Overrated if you have a large pan for large food surface and know how to flip.

Did they not do nip inspection day at your school? Weird

well my wife is Chinese, technically I don't cook in a wok at home, but most of the food which is cooked in my home, is cooked in a wok.

What do you need to know?

>moka pot in the background

memelord detected

what the fuck why? i'm in slavland and 50% of people make their coffee with one of these

pointless if you're stove doesn't have the btu's. stick to 1 plate at a time.

I don't cook on a wok much anymore. It uses a shitload of oil / makes a ton of smoke & isnt the best for a small kitchen without a hood. You can get rid of the smoke by reducing the heat way down but at that point use a pan.

wok or not
BIG = GOOD
all the crusty jigglers are mine

are home kitchen burners hot enough for a wok?

I use mine all the time. Great for frying stuff.

Just get a crawfush pot burner.

Gas burners will get you close but you really need something like Street vendors in China use a propane tank and something like that to do street noodles in ~2 minutes. Another good option is to place the wok in a charcoal grill, directly on the coal, after grilling. That will get it to the rocket hot temperature you need

No, nowhere near enough.
You need a minimum of 10k BtU and ideally should have 15k+

There are Japanese Iwatani butane burners you can buy that will suffice but butane is pretty expensive andyou probably don't have good enough ventilation to use one inside without giving yourself mild C02 poisoning

If you have access to an outdoor area a propane torch made for outdoor boilers/smokers/turkey will be plenty

Not enough BTUs on my stove for that shit, cast iron does a good enough job for what i'm normally cooking.

I do, but I'm chinese and have a 12k btu burner with a cutout to sit the wok nice and low. It's the tits, although only useful for those of us that stir fry on a daily basis.

>CO2 poisoning
Retard.

12k isn't really good enough for a good wok temp.

I like 14k+, 18k if I can get it.

Some companies have 19k and 20k wok specific burners.

I have a gas stove with a 12k BTU burner. It gets just about hot enough for proper wok cooking. My brother has some shitty electric cooktop, so he has to do his wok cooking outdoors on a small propane grill.

Hurf,I just looked mine up, it's actually 18. My old one was 12, and that was anemic. Sitting low on the 18, I'll go from cold to smoking canola in 20-30 s.

Yeah, 18k is a good wok temp.

At work we have a Capital Culinarian range with some 23,000BTU burners which make for great wok burners.

I cook in a kadai at home often,(it's a Indian wok, basically, pic related) and yeah, it's worth it. It's great for any sort of saute or stir fry, great for making curries, and fantastic for deep frying. (btw, nothing seasons a wok/kadai/etc./ like deep frying marinated, braised pork belly.)

>smoking canola
why would you do this? Depending on the type of Canola oil you're looking at a smoke point at 350-400f, which is pretty low when you've got peanut oil or sunflower oil which are both good up to around 450f.

I always keep peanut oil for wok cooking.

Avocado oil or rice bran oil are better, though a bit more difficult to source depending what grocery stores you've got around.

I cook sometimes in a wok. I think it's pretty nice to have, especially when you have guests over and they watch you cooking. Plus it's nice when you cook with sauces and vegetables and stuff.
I like that it's more pan-y than a pot

Because I ain't a richass nigga. How much is peanut oil? And how much do you use when you stir fry? I have a feeling the cost wouldn't be sustainable for me. Canola is cheap and good enough.

not him but you're a moron if you don't think it exists or whatever you're getting at

>How much is peanut oil?
Probably 50% more expensive, but you're only using it for high heat frying, so it's not like you're using it for everything you'd use canola for.

Have both, use both for different things, it's not a waste of money, it's like $8 every 2-3 months.

nope because i have an electric range

Eh. I don't have a problem putting a sear on, or cooking veg. Thanks for the tip though.

I have this kind and it always, without fail, burns shit so that it sticks to the bottom. Other than that stuff turns out pretty well, but I do see it as more of a novelty than anything else. Haven't used it as much recently.

it would be CO poisoning.
CO2 would only asphyxiate you, but would need to be ridiculously high levels to do so.

>cu/ck/ posts dumb vague thing
>it's just autism after all

not surprised

Where did you buy your Indian pan?

No because the shitty college apartments I've lived in almost always have crappy coil stoves. Unless you have a bigass burner you're not going to be better served with a wok than just a pan/skillet.

This or my pic. No point in having a wok unless you're going to use it properly. Need big time heat, senpai.

Electric woks are a fucking mistake, there's no point to them.

How else does one make cuban coffee faggot

I have a friend that cooks with one all the time, makes me want to get one for all the beef and stir fried vegetables I make

Much worth, higher heat, more control.