I want to try to cook this dish

I want to try to cook this dish.
I have a question, why does this gravy look white while other gravies are brown?
for example the kfc mash potato one.
cheers.

White gravy is usually flour based
Brown gravy is from beef stocks and what not

Breakfast gravy tends to be white.

All gravies are flour based, it's called a roux
Thanks for not answering the question
It's white because it's milk based. Look up a bechamel sauce for more info

wait, do americans really eat this?

God youre just the worst type of poster

American here, I'm confused. That's biscuits and gray right? I thought that was a European thing.

Your country is very big with diverse populations in different areas. And many immigrant populations still harbor fondness for the dishes from their former homelands. Especially in areas, where the cultural exchange between them and other groups is slight.

So, I am pretty sure, that there are areas where Biscuits and Gravy is still a fan favourite, and gets prepared as authentic as possible.

>All gravies are flour based

>not making your gravies with slurry
>not making your gravies with reduced cream
>not making your gravies with xanthan gum

this dish? toasted bread with sausage gravy? alright fucking go ahead. or is it chipped beef? honestly who cares. make gravy. toast bread.

BISCUITS AND GRAVY ARE GREAT SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH

t. obese amerilard

This gravy is white because the roux was hardly cooked. I'm not a fan of white gravy, there's not enough flavor.
I love good brown gravy. with or with out sausage.
if I make sausage gravy, I would fry my sausage, then pull it out of the pan and add some bacon fat to the sausage fat. Then add some flour to get my roux going. Keep stirring until the roux gets pretty dark.
Then add some water and then less milk than water. season it and bring to a boil. While stirring.
If it's not thick enough, you'll have to add a cornstarch slurry.

Nice try, fatty.

Biscuits and gravy is a southern soul food thing.

>filename
>biscuits

Those aren't biscuits.

And you certainly don't have biscuits with gravy.

You have biscuits with tea.

Of course you can have biscuits with both gravy and tea. The sweetness of the tea helps with the saltiness of the gravy.

so we having rice our rice tonight nigga? lol

Adds nothing to the discussion. Nada. Zip. Not even a remotely novel point. It's the food equivalent of that yo mama joke you heard in 3rd grade

The gravy used is a cream gravy, usually made with sausage, but you can add bacon too if that floats your boat.

>be me
>visit cousin in England
>go out to eat
>order biscuits and gravy
>get this

Yes and they're goddamn amazing

It's a midwest/southern thing mostly. A lot of people on the east coast have never even heard of it.

I eat this a lot more often than I should. It's my favorite breakfast.

Get a fatty pork breakfast sausage. Jimmy Dean is too lean, in my experience. The cheaper the brand, the more likely there is a higher ratio of fat as filler so go with a off-brand.

Crumble it into a pan or skillet and fry until golden brown. Leave some of the sausage as pea-sized crumbles. Drain all but a 1/4 cup of of the grease. Add equal parts flour to fat. Cook that just long enough until it starts to smell like pie crusts. Slowly pour in cold whole milk and whisk. Bring to a simmer on medium low heat. Add salt, coarsely ground black pepper, a dash of cayenne, and (optional) sage.

Serve on warm buttermilk biscuits.

If for some reason your gravy doesn't thicken (for example, you added too much milk), then you can mix a little water and corn starch in a small bowl and slowly whisk it in. Or you can cook it for longer to reduce, but it will take quite some time.

The gravy looks good, but your biscuits look like hocky pucks. No self respecting southerner would make biscuits that badly. Your baking powder must have been old.

Check out Food Wishes, he's got a recipe for biscuits and gravy, which go by a few nicknames.

It's not supposed to be an aesthetically pleasing dish, you'll either love it or hate it.

It's typically cream which is why it is white. A brown gravy would use beef/chicken stock to keep it's color.

It is a very southern US thing, like sweet tea. Go to the Yankees and servers go "Wha-?"

Source: Floridan

Those aren't biscuits and that isn't tea.

Those are biscuits with a glass of milk, not a glass of gravy, you idiot.

Everyone ITT is an idiot. If you don't know why, then you're one of them. Anyone know why Jack was allowed on TV today?

I just started trying to make biscuits and gravy at home, and my first recipe was for drop biscuits. They're very easy to make and they come out very fluffy.

you people are all insane

Breakfast gravy is sausage or bacon fat (although any meat fat will do) mixed with flour and milk.

sage is not optional, use sage sausage for the dank dank

It's a milk based gravy, not stock. If you want it to be a tad browner then simply give the pork sausage a good browning (not graying) before you mix in the flour to form the roux.

Gravies are rouxes.

So a fat, often butter, mixed with flour. With gravies it's usually made with meat drippings instead of, or with the butter.

Brown gravy is a roux made with meat drippings. Sometimes with seasonings and vegetables.

A white gravy is a bechamel. That is a roux that's been taken a step further, and milk or cream has been added. It's the same basic sauce you make Mac and Cheese with, except you just don't add the cheese. If you did add cheese, you'd get a mornay sauce. White gravy typically has a lot of black pepper added. You'll also see onions, mushrooms, bits of sausage, etc.

People think white gravy is trashy because they associate it with trash southerners. But it's basically just bechamel which is one of the mother sauces of French Cuisine.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's some regional part of France with their own dish that's basically identical to "biscuits and gravy."

In the same vein, a brown gravy is just espagnole sauce.

idk if this had been said, but they may not have used the sausage fat as a gravy thickener. the crisp fat pieces within the grease tend to dirty the gravy a bit