Tendie Thief

I have a moral dilemma and it's eating me up inside Veeky Forums

So I work as a stocker at a grocery store and our deli section has a hot foods section. At a certain time every night they take all the leftover hot food and throw it in garbage bags, weigh it and charge it to damages, then throw it in the trash.

Sometimes they made fresh batches only for them to be thrown in the garbage less than an hour later.

Lately I've been ordering tendies from the deli 10 minutes before they throw it away. I eat it on my break, then throw away the package and not pay for it.

I know they'd string me up if caught, but is this immoral? Am I genuinely a tendie thief if they're going into the trash anyway?

This is legitimately causing me moral distress because I'm a huge moralfaggot. Help me Veeky Forums

Do you know how little those deli counter tendies cost the store to purchase? I'm pretty sure the employees eat more of the food during their shifts than whatever you steal. But seriously though, you're going to hell and you should be ashamed of yourself.

>you're going to hell and you should be ashamed of yourself.

I unironically think this every time I pilfer the illicit tendies

Companies can't offer up the food they threw away because they know every employee will wait for it, so yes it's immoral on two fronts. !st on the company for trashing perfectly good food rather than donating it or giving it to employees and 2nd on you trying to steal it without paying.

Corporations were a mistake.

Calling yourself a huge moralfaggot... while eating meat... Only vegans are morally superior, buddy.

>Am I genuinely a tendie thief if they're going into the trash anyway?
Considering your company can make money by throwing it in the garbage by writing it off as damages, yes you are actually stealing.
I believe your store is doing the worse sin of wasting food though.

Sleep tight

It's technically thieft and the stores probably get some luck back on "damages" if it's a chain. I wouldn't feel bad, but ymmv.

>donating it

I always fucking hate this argument for throwing food out. Who the fuck are you gonna donate old prepared food to? Will the hungry stand in the parking lot, waiting for the 9PM bag of old food to be brought out to them?

Employees should get the food, end of story

>Will the hungry stand in the parking lot, waiting for the 9PM bag of old food to be brought out to them?

of course they will

Fuck no it isn't immoral. Anymore then its immoral for them to throw it away instead of giving it to the homeless.

Do you have any idea how much these corperations make?

The krispy kream i use to work for would make sure that the donuts they threw into the dumpster in the back were in the boxes because homeless people would come and eat them every night. Homeless people will wait for the food to be brought to them, they have nothing better to do.

And probably even show up early to the point of hanging around the open store, harassing and driving away customers.

they probably just wait behind the back dumpster door patiently and be grateful for the help

they're poor and hungry people ,not feral animals

>Will the hungry stand in the parking lot, waiting for the 9PM bag of old food to be brought out to them?
I take it you don't live near any homeless?

For the most part yes, but I've been to several food banks and soup kitchens and they attract lots of people you don't want anywhere near your business

>they're poor and hungry people ,not feral animals

considering the overwhelming majority of homeless people are addicts and/it mentally ill there really isn't much of a difference

Well, yeah, you can give the homeless food, but I hate the usage of the word "donate" in these scenarios. People who use the word donate seem to think you can give leftover old tendies and fries to a homeless shelter or something.

>immoral

not at all, but know your boss is going to fucking freak. even if it's no harm to him whatsoever your boss will fucking lose it. at best you'll be forced to pay back some money.

Nigga there are perfectly healthy and paid weirdos who go in dumpsters for edible shit, homeless people will fucking worship you.

Dude, stop. Just stop. You're going to get busted and charged with stealing.

I worked for a grocery store long ago as an assistant manager. I would take money out of the drawers, buy lottery tickets, then pay the store back with my winnings and keep the remainder. They found out somehow, questioned me, had me arrested, and I served 2 years in prison.

Remember, I paid them back. You cannot pay those tendies back

>implying only homeless suffer food insecurity

You can't? Nobody's stopping you from handing over 10 pounds of chicken nuggets to some hobo.

i used to work in a grocery store deli. The manager got onto me for eating the chicken and sharing it with coworkers before throwing the rest away at night.
he said I was stealing and I just kept doing it because it was such a shitty job I was quitting in 2 weeks anyway and basically dared them to fire me over it. Just keep taking the tendies. working in a grocery store is pure distilled hell and having a free tendie dinner is the ONLY upside to that nightmare. horrible pay, shit hours, PAIN in the ass customers, the manager is an arrogant retard always for some reason, its depressing as fuck. Also, quit that job very soon and do literally anything else. Go delivery pizzas if you just need some cash.

i used to work at an ice cream store and would just not ring up ice creams
i kept my own cash float and everything. netted a hundred or two extra a shift
never got caught, quit, now i lead a straight life

What did you ring up then?

My store donates our shrunk food to food banks. Not sure why other stores don't. I'm sure we get tax breaks or something for it.

We also eat the fuck out of our own food, especially shrink or damaged stuff. Weird how attitudes are different between stores

While the lesson you're teaching us is solid, you fucking deserved to go to jail dude. What, did you think that you were the first to find some super secret loophole?

nothing. just put it in my pocket

Getting mixed responses and I appreciate that. I've never stolen anything in my life before this so it's kind of a big deal to me, even though it may seem trivial.

Note that while I am not going hungry and can relatively easily keep myself wellfed and nourished, I'm poor as fuck. I eat out maybe thrice a month and rarely spend more than 7$. It's usually chipotle too.

Sometimes I even skip breakfast and lunch and have the stolen tendies meal replace them to save money.

I'm on the cusp of stopping for good because I feel like shit doing it. But fuck they're PERFECTLY fine tendies that they're throwing into the trash, still crisp and steaming hot. That's really fucked to me.

What? How did management not notice that you sold nothing all night, every night?

i didn't do it on every transaction
and it was horribly mismanaged

Against the rules, sure. Immoral, no. I guess it depends on how bad you feel for breaking the rules and how worried you are about getting caught, but from the moral standpoint of a complete outsider, I see nothing wrong with it.

If it bothers you that much, maybe talk to your boss about alternate strategies, like taking leftovers to a soup kitchen or something. Then if they say no, at least you have a bit more reason to take some for yourself.

Explain to me what I did wrong. The judge couldn't either. Nevertheless, I was put away.

That makes more sense. Good game btw

you embezzled money and gambled it
your whole story is suspect now if you expect me to believe no one could explain why you went to jail

I mean, they said I stole money, but I did not. No one lost any money. The judge didn't understand

>pilfer the illicit tendies

You're losing GoodBoyPoints™ left and right!

Why not just eat the fresh food they are throwing away?

Christ man, 2 fucking years for that? Seriously?

Why not, uh... ask to have the leftover food? I've read about anons doing the exact same in frugality threads. I guess you could go into the dumpster and take them afterwards, though.

To be fair, I'd steal as many as I could.

Nope. Rules is rules boss, all fresh tendies must go directly to the trash. Company policy!

Literally the first thing I did was ask. They looked at me like I was an insane person. Like it was the strangest thing they had ever heard.

So talk to other employees about it too. Get some numbers behind you and try again.

Have you dealt with the homeless population much? They act worse than animals in a lot of situations.

what you're doing could get you caught and fired but you are morally in the right. i've done this and i never regretted it.

a lot of local places will give you free pizza slices at closing time etc. there's nothing wrong with asking to use the food they're giving away.

call the local newspaper and tell them the grocery store is wasting food. tell them it's an outrage that local establishments waste food when the local food shelf doesn't have enough supplies. (idk where you live but food shelves never have enough supplies, if there's a food shelf around you I can guarantee you they need donations all the time.) shit, I know someone who went to a food shelf recently and there was a stack of leftover little caesar's pizzas from the night before. the food shelf was handing them out.

idk what the laws are like where you are regarding food safety, but I would have to think there's got to be something you can do to get them not to waste so much. I mean, I get why they have them - so people don't sue them for getting food poisoning from some old-ass food - but I agree with you, it just seems too wasteful.

Eh its whatever you make it, when i worked night shifts stocking they said we can grab anything as long as we paided for it when we clocked out. Being a bastard, I would grab a Redbull and drink it on my break and throw it away in the break room. I used to do this at my previous job as well and never got caught. Tendies are much more value tho.

>paided
>never got caught
They knew you were stealing red bulls, but they let you do it because you're a retard.