Japanese

Has anybody tried Tomago Gohan?
I made it a few times, had potential, but I never quite got it right. How do you make yours?
Also, Japanese cuisine thread.

>Why wont it work
I looked that dish up real quick. Man, sounds horrible. My favourite Jap foor by far is still ome made teriyaki and sushi

I add egg, soy sauce and sesame-wasabi mix

I make less then usual salted yasmin rice since im going to add soy sauce, basmati tends to be less good for it.
Add hopefully room temp egg yolk and soy sauce and mix with a fork untill its foamy.
Its good alternative to eating plain rice when you dont have other sauce to mix in with rice.

the frothiness is something i dont like about it. I also think it would be better with sticky rice.

I like it with only the egg yolk and lots of green onions.

Not something I eat very often and you NEED fresh eggs or it tastes terrible imo.

the slimy, frothy raw egg consistency is just terrible for me

raw eggs are gross to me in taste and texture, and I am not very picky. and also living in north america they have a chance to have salmonella, the eggs in japan are cleaner

wow, so it's just plain rice with an egg and some soy sauce? i'm super fucking impressed, sign me up to pay 5 dollars for this in a nip restaurant

I made it a couple years ago and despite being drunk as fuck, it was too disgusting to get past the second bite. Soy sauce didn't make anything better. Was like a bowl of jizz-soaked rice.

rice cooks the egg technically, but yeah still quite slimey.
i tried it with green onions and the favor was overpowering

Honestly, tamago kake gohan really is for weeaboos.
If you want to meet western taste, follow at least one of these advices:
-yolks only
-make sure the rice is hot enough to achieve a custardy texture.

it was OK.

the problem is you guys are buying shit eggs

I enjoyed Ramage gohan, bUT I think it's better to make it with too little rice to cook properly, then microwave it again and get a dome shaped chunk of eggy "fried rice"

Tastes decent and is decently filling.

6/10 perfect for when I want something hot but don't feel like cooking, but it's not the comfort food japs make it out to be.

Sure I've tried it, and liked it, but it needs a little something to enhance it. I add the usual soy sauce, but I also add minced scallion, nanimi togarashi (hot pepper with sesame seed and other spices like orange peel), and shiso furikake (basically just finely cut dried shiso leaf). Really perks it up and makes a nice combination of flavors. I used to have some Umeboshi salt that tasted really good on it too.

>make sure the rice is hot enough to achieve a custardy texture.
This is where a lot of people fuck it up. I'm talking to you, fellow Americans. You want it to have this texture. If not, you're doing it wrong.

>How do you make yours?

Same like everybody's, but put a couple of drops of Korean style sesame oil to bring the flavor to the yolk.

add mirin and furikake

It's said shichimi togarashi

No, it's said Nanimi togarashi, Shichimi is different, it's just the chili pepper.

*nanami*

Sorry Nana and shichi both mean 7 but shichimi is the common reading.

Ichimi is just the pepper because ichi is one

Well if they both mean 7 then either is right, and you were just being a pot stirrer know-it-all.

I usually add soy sauce, shichimi pepper and benishoga.

I've had it plenty in onsen/ryokan. Because it's so simple, you need very good rice (Koshihikari is my pref) and very high quality eggs (good luck in burgerland). Generally, it's best at breakfast as an accompaniment to broiled fish. The strong fish oiliness is offset by the creamy, almost sweet, rice.

I make it sometimes when i have left over rice i need to use. It's okay, way better with hot sauce though.