Bread appreciation thread

Have you ever walked into a bakery and just appreciated how cheap a loaf of bread is? Freshly baked bread, the backbone of western society, earned within a few minutes of working.

What a blessed time we live in when we all can afford more bread than we can consume.

Other urls found in this thread:

womenshealthmag.com/life/woman-makes-bread-with-vaginal-yeast?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=Social&utm_term=910860623&utm_campaign=Women's Health
blog.kingarthurflour.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bread is diabetes.

I want to sleep on a pillow of bread

good goy, be grateful for that metabolic syndrome!

ur diabetes

>artisan bakery bread inexpensive

Your post referenced western society so I assume you mean europe. In the US a loaf will cost at least $6.00 from a real bakery, if you can even find one. In most flyover small cities and towns there won't be any. The primary reasons I started baking my own bread.

Huh, here it's about $2.50, and groceries in my country are expensive.

bread + fat or sugar is bad.

bread alone is fine.

That sounds like some pretty expensive/obscure hipster shit there, user.

I agree that normal supermarket bread on the "bread isle" is usually shit-tier, but you don't have to spend fucking $12/loaf to get good bread.

have you ever appreciated how cheap it is to make your own bread

But you need fat.

Only if your time is free.

I'm not gonna babysit a fucking sourdough starter.

not hard to fill a bowl and wait

Look, I'm fine with baking other breads. Those still take time though, and there's no point when I can buy something of equivalent or greater quality from a bakery or grocery store for next to nothing.

But claiming that sourdough doesn't take time is just plain wrong.

I said $6.00, numbnuts, and I wasn't referencing supermarket paste.

Yeah, it's weird artisan bread is so expensive in the US given the heavily subsidized (i.e., corporate agricultural welfare) grain industry. I guess it's the fact the legitimate bakeries don't have much competition.

$6 for a half-loaf implies that a full loaf costs double that, or $12. Can you not do basic arithmetic?

Hipsters want meme ancient grains imported from Chile or Italy so the price is driven up.

Original post says 6 dollars a loaf in the US. Can you not read?

Do you have dyslexia? Where in my post do you see the word "half?"

womenshealthmag.com/life/woman-makes-bread-with-vaginal-yeast?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=Social&utm_term=910860623&utm_campaign=Women's Health

Delicious.

Maybe if you didn't buy that $6 bread you could afford a house

Fucking millenials

I said that's one of the reasons I started baking my own, faggot. And I do own my own house in bumfuck backwater on 4 acres on the cheap.

>But you need fat.
bread has plenty of fat. 1-2 grams is more than enough.

did you just get a job after being homeless or something? it's fucking bread user, get over it.

You missed the (dumb) joke.

Good goy, grains are the devil, we must stop producing them and consuming them!

>tfw get good bread from a local bakery at 3.65 a loaf of dank sourdough and $4 hard rye

I'm so smug rn

No, you're a pug right now.

Baking your own is extremely easy/inexpensive

>Implying sourdough isnt literally rat poop

>3.00€ for a loaf from wood oven

I keep trying to bake bread in my cast iron Dutch oven but it smokes like fuck every time I try.

Any advice?

get roasted

This is the truth.

To see how cheap bread is, try to put together a business plan for a bakery.

I got really into baking a couple years ago and thought about it. No matter what I did I couldn't figure out how I would pay myself. Not even charging 6 bucks a loaf. And fucking publix down the street dicking me over every chance they get with their fucking 3 dollar deli/bakery loaves... fuck the little guy right?!?!?

Why should you get paid for something that has been automated though?

It's really hard to automate good bread. Getting the crust just right takes a human eye and slight variations in time and amounts of ingredients.

Publix isn't automated. No small bakery is automated. Only shit tier commercially made presliced BS is automated.

People should get paid because they make a delicious product.

Publix and the other gigantic stores come in and kill the little guy because certain departments can have losses while the whole store remains profitable on the sale of vegetables of boxed shits.

In the end, its not about automation. Its about corporate conglomerates forcing a minimum wage on everyone.

Lazy ass. I have a 5-day starter running,and it literally takes me 30 seconds a day to tend to it. Gonna go make bread now.

I won't deny that I'm lazy.

Sorry, can't help ya.
Try blog.kingarthurflour.com/
Veeky Forums loves meme food and can't bake bread for shit.

>tending to a starter
I put mine in the fridge. when I want to bake some bread, I take it out, dump some flour and water in it, and let it ferment overnight... I bake bread about once a week, so my starter stays good.

>can't bake bread for shit.

Speak for yourself. There are atleast a half dozen people who post on here regularly that bake.

'go 'za doesn't count as bread, user.

I think I figured it out. I put in too much oil when I seasoned it. I baked some bread in another pan I seasoned at the same time, but with less oil, and had no smoking trouble.

>given the heavily subsidized (i.e., corporate agricultural welfare) grain industry

The grain that's most heavily subsidized is corn. That's why you find corn syrup in just about everything. All the sugar plantations in the US were run out of business because the government decided for some reason that we needed CORN NOTHING BUT CORN.

Oh, look, here's someone that's only eaten plastic wrapped paste! I can't even say "good goy" because you fall far below that moniker.

[region in the US where you can grow sugar]: a tiny strip of land in the deep south and Hawaii

[region in the US where you can grow corn]: literally the entire nation outside of alaska

I make my bread in an enameled pot. Works pretty good and I never have to clean up as it always comes out nice and dry with no scorch marks.

Buying a new Dutch oven is out of my budget unfortunately. This one is also really nice though, and is almost a hundred years old. It just makes me feel good inside to bake with a family heirloom.

I bet if you took bread bought for very cheap from a German super market and put it in a US artisan bakery you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I find placing an oval cut piece of parchment underneath the dough is the best of both worlds, no cleanup or greasing necessary.

That's why I like Whole Wheat.