Beer general!

Late weekend beer thread? Drinking, trying to find, brewing, cellaring?

I had this one earlier this night. Bit to heavy on the garlic notes for me.

I just got back from the grocery store and saw they had a "make your own 6 pack deal" so this is what I got. Haven't ever tried any of these before they might all be bad.

Having one of these right now, pretty tasty.

Having this sort of deal is dreamy to alot of people. If the beers are all good at that it is where we wish to be at!

First Westy 12 i had was mindblowing, second one i had was infected! The one that made the mark in my mind was sadly the second one, one of the worst beers i have ever tasted,

Had this one a couple of nights ago but still wanted to post it here as it was pretty special. Not a whole lot of chili heat to talk about, but the rest of the beer was fantastic. One of the top 10 stouts for me!

That sucks man. This is the second one I've had (last one was a few years ago) and this one is definitely better. The first one was in one of those exported 6 packs with the glasses and I don't think it was stored well during shipping (drank it in Japan). I'm in Belgium right now and there are numerous shops that sell them around here. Going to by 24 or so to take home with me.

Even the monks screw their shit up at times i guess. Got two bottles when i picked the bad one up. It is marked best before 03.12.18 so this december! Probably will try it the coming fall and hope the other one was a faulty cap or something!

Had this one tonight as well, Very nicely done lower abv bourbon barrel stout!

how do you guys rank innis & gunn?

>ipa
>ipa
>fruit beer
>Pale Ale
>American Amber
>ipa

You wasted half of your deal with shitty ipas which probably taste exactly like any other ipa "muh hop explosion".

And one with a fruit beer which will likely taste bad.

My god, americans have such a bad taste for beer.

Purple Haze isn't amazing but it's not a bad beer.

So you don't like IPAs. Cool. Other people do.

I'm not even that user btw. He probably lives in the PNW where 75% of the beer on the shelf is a damn IPA.

I actually just turned 21 a month ago and know nothing about beer and wanted to try some stuff. The first user was right, he IPAs were mostly the same except the Hi-wire stuff was actually really terrible. My favorite was red bridge then the sugar creek then purple haze. All of those were actually pretty nice, now i know IPAs aren't for me. Back to my modelo

I know there are there are way too many IPAs and a lot aren't great, but the bubble will burst and the extra fluff will go away. Sadly it's the same thing with breweries themselves. Back in the early 2000s there were only so many microbreweries, now they are everywhere. Unfortunately, I think supply exceeds demand, as anyone with a homebrew kit, that has friends that like their beer, starts a brewery.

Well knowing nothing about beer (as you said) and being 21 for a month, I put little stock in your tastes for beer(no offense). I'm 35 (this month) and have been drinking craft beer since around 2000.

Maybe you're right with those beers though, I can't say as I've only had the Purple Haze, Red Bridge (wasn't impressed at all), and the Apocalypse.

Happy Birthday user!

Oh its fine, I probably wouldn't put much stock in my taste if I had your experience.

It was my first time trying craft beer and over half of the beers were IPA so I figured that they had to be somewhat diverse. The IPAs were actually the worst out of all the things I got.
What are some craft beer you would recommend? But thanks!

Can you get beers from Bell's, Founders, Great Divide, Stone, Great Lakes breweries? Most of those are pretty solid.

Lots of good imports as well, Belgian ales, German wheat beers, etc.

I love IPAs but "love" would only apply to a handful. I can drink all kinds of them but my favorite would probably be Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

I love Shiner but had never had this before, was in a family reunion 6 pack; was pretty good, little on the sweet side though.

Bought a 6 pack 2-3 weeks ago or so of New Belgium 1554 that I wasn't immediately impressed with but holy shitfuck is it good when heating spicy foods (which I've come to find happens with quite a few beers)

Are milk stouts a meme brew? I've been trying any I come across only to meet disappointment or a feeling of them just being ok.

Midwest fag detected

You need to recalibrate your fag detector. Lived on east and west coasts, as well as outside of the country.

10 barrel is bitchin, dont know any of the other ones

I made a thread on /v/ and everyone is mocking me.

Is dogfish head a meme?

Had this last night and didn't really like it much. The alcohol wasn't well hidden and it wasn't complex like I expected. No where near Rochefort 8 for me.

Tonight I'm having difficulty choosing between an IPA, Session IPA, Belgian wheat, and a Gose. Freshness says I should go with the IPA/Session so I don't sit on them but it was a hot day and the wheat/gose seem appealing.

>IPA

You deserve all the mocking you get.

Never heard of a milk stout before, but after reading a short article describing them, what about them do you not like? Cause it might just be a personal preference/taste buds thing.

Definitely gonna try and find some next time I go to the grocery store or liquor store

Dogfish make some good stuff. 90 is one of their solid go-tos. All the RMS craft brew fags hate on any brewery that's been growing for a long time.

RMS?

Picked this up last night after a tasting. Shit is gud.

Currently watching twin peaks.

Just cracked this open and I was highly impressed.

>RMS?
Literally the poster boy for autism.

drinking this now that its in 12 packs. Decently priced and pretty good. Also tried Dankbot from Insight recently and it ruled. Any Minnesotafags out there?

DIdn't realize I was on /g/

Minnesotafag here. I work at a bottle shop. Really digging everything from Founders right now.

>implying fa/g/s don't Veeky Forums even if it's just totinos in a toaster oven

Shiners holiday cheer sucked. I will never buy from them again

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of the holiday cheer either. Not a fan of their warm winter or IPA either. Doesn't mean they don't make good beer.

Hello fellow Minnesotafag!

I recently tried this one from Surly, and it was fantastic.

Cincybro? You tried the Sabertooth?

I've been enjoying Pinner from Oskar Blues.

Tried a few different beers this 'kend, all good desu. This one was my favourite. Can't wait to try some more from this brewery.

Anyone else loving this?
About as cheap as piss water beer but actually good

Currently have on draft an American pale ale, 6%
A german style wheat IPA, bittered with euro hops, dry hopped with american hops pitched on a german wheat yeast cake that came out pretty good at 6.6%

Currently fermenting a belgian golden strong started at 65* F and ramping up to 82 over a week.

Also drinking on a case of 21st amendment hell or high watermelon, and a case of Lagunitas IPA

My dad really liked Henry Weinhard's.

You know what happened to him? HE DIED!

I got one of those in my rucksack. Can recommend the others but I also got the märzen because it's been a while

I really like this one.

What do you guys think about it?

I fucking love Evil Twin Brewing, I'm jealous you even got to try that one. Their stouts are so good, I love their Even More Jesus.

Solid Hefe, Franziskaner is the tits though. Hoegaarden is also delicious.

picture to incite replies

I'm the first user. I never said I didn't like IPAs, like implied. Just like you tasted them, they are basically the same.

IPAs are just a bait for newfags who want to look cool. They have some hip logo and art on bootle, "hop explosion", but they are just the same taste all over the place and sometimes overly bitter because "lmao bitter beers for le beer lovers".

If you ever come back to this thread, I recommend you to try different styles. They actually taste different from each brewer and are actually complex.

>now i know IPAs aren't for me

No need to stop to drink IPAs. Just stop wasting all your money with them.

The thing is that IPAs are literally the easiest beer to brew. I know it because my cousin actually has a business with brewing and is actually earning some easy money by just brewing generic IPAs and some nice beers.

Needless to say, everyone drink the lame IPA, while the nicer styles are left untouched. Also, they take much more time to brew, almost as twice as IPAs, which take around 1 to 2 months.

Holy crap, I never thought I'd find someone here who drank it before.

I had this one at my first time in the UK and honestly it tasted more like Cola than beer.

It was a nice experience and the beer came in a nice box. I wish I could buy more of it because it looks like a nice gift for people who don't really know about beer.

>innis & gunn is obscure
How old are you?

Hey, I'm just not from the UK. I heard from it for the first time when I went to London last year.

Neither am I, the closest I've been to the UK was about 35,000 feet flying to mainland Europe

But it's everywhere in the US and I'd have to assume mainland Europe as well, it's not like this is some obscure tiny producer

I'm from Portugal and living in the Netherlands. Never heard about it.

This is, without a doubt, the worst beer I have ever had. It is completely vile and undrinkable, like drinking vomit. Steel Reserve is 10x more tolerable.

It was the first time I drank a rum cask aged beer. Like I said, it tasted like Cola and not like beer at all, so I'm not really judging it as a beer.

>completely vile and undrinkable, like drinking vomit

Those are some rash words. It's not really that bad.

did you try that barrel aged double ipa? I almost bought a bottle but decided against it

I'm drinking this ugly son of a bitch because I have a cold and can't taste anything complex anyway because it would be a waste of money and basically you're fucking stupid. How?
Watch this free video.

If I were you I'd make another attempt first... this time with 6 non-IPAs, non-APAs or non-Pale ales.

They range from odd to good. I like their Toasted oak IPA. There are worse crimes out there than drinking I&G IMO.

rate my taste, bros

Should be Heineken instead if you're a player, m8.

>general

ah cool

this isnt the first time i been drawn in by a nice looking label, so im glad its not money wasted

sup MN bubbas. Gonna drink this tomorrow night during hockey after fuckin around DT Mpls tomorrow afternoon

Does malt liquor count? What is the best cheap 40 oz? I've only tried King Cobra and it was bland but not bad.

That shit rules. I've been killing this stuff since it came back. Hands down my favorite summer offering from any minnesota brewery. Schell's hefeweizen is my second choice.

Colorado > Great lakes = New England > Midwest > Mid-Atlantic >>>> West Coast

Seriously, fuck west coast beers.

The west coast can make anything really well, except ipas. I think Stone ipa is okay though.

It's everything else that's the problem, not their IPAs. They seemingly have no concept whatsoever of balance and use high-alpha hops in everything.

I feel the opposite. Everything I've had from Alesmith, Bootlegger, Stone, etc. that hasn't been an ipa has ranged from good to great. Every ipa I've had from any of them has had 0 balance like you said.
To be fair though, I haven't tried anything from the west coast in years now. I'll still buy Deschutes once in awhile though. The only thing I haven't cared for from them was sage fighter.

Not the same poster as before, but yeah innis & gunn is pure shit, like that american water "beer" but with some weird atempt to get some flavour into it

it's always olde english

Picked up a 6 pack of this in cans. It's nothing mind blowing, but this is extremely refreshing on a hot day and it'll get you drunk. If I lived in colorado I'd buy it regularly.

Oops.

I think it's probably a violation of open container laws, but the Olde English plastic bottles should fit on my bike's water bottle rack. It would be funny to post that in the "post your bike thread" Also, is Natty Ice the cheapest way to get drunk? I like chugging a 40 but with friends it would be a good option.

I think not some states have no law against open containers. I'm in IL and I think I can totally walk around drinking a 40 as long as I'm not visibly intoxicated

Hey guys, I live in China but I'm from northern Indiana.

Has there been any buzz about Three Floyds lately? Not sure if I should make the trip to the brewery when I go back home in July.

Had this last year and it was pretty awful haha. Beijing has some decent breweries, though.

St petes is a go to

heady topper may be a meme, but it's the best meme I've ever had the pleasure to drink

anyone tried this out yet?

I guess it's the new version of the SN summer pack

I tried the rye ipa yesterday and thought it was surprisingly good

That's just not true.

You have your English IPAs, which aren't extremely hoppy.

Then you have your west coast IPAs, which are generally the "hop explosion"

and then you have your east coast IPAs, which are a delightful combination of the malty English style and the hoppy West Coast style.

East Coast IPAs are my fav.

How's it measure to their ruthless rye? The other 3 are great beers. Not the biggest fan of their rye stuff though

That subtle taste of plastic, corn syrup and stamp glue is classy as fuck.

I haven't bought from them ever since i found out it was a Jewish owned company.

Don't reply to anti-IPA hipsters.

Why does it matter

Just some good solid German beer.

Did you freeze it?

See
It is better than this years kbs by a long shot

They have centenial in your shop northwoodsfriend?

No shit? It sounded like another money grab using barrels to me, but I was still curious if it'd work well or if it'd be another lizard of koz. If there are still some bottles left on Tuesday I'll snag one

pretty gud

It's ok

Just bought a six pack. Good shit.

P good

That looks like watery piss...

I dump a shot of vodka in mine to take it further

Having pic related right now, really enjoying it.