Fermented Foods and Pickles

Gimme tips; What veggies taste best, what kind of solution to use ? is table salt appropriate for brine ?

Other urls found in this thread:

zsuzsaisinthekitchen.blogspot.hu/2011/08/fermented-pickles-kovaszos-uborka.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Simple vinegar and salt brine.
Make sure your salt is non iodized, it will kill off the good bacteria.

I always wanted to into canning but on a scale of 1 to 10 how easy is it for some noob to kill himself by accident?

I keep getting kahm yeast in my ferments. How do I stop this shit from growing?

Check out the Cultured Love website. Besides making the best sauerkraut on the planet, they offer a lot of great advice on how to get started on your own.

www.CulturedLove.com

It really depends on what you are making. Anything with high acid or salt is just about as safe as it gets. Kimchi and saurkraut are basically impossible to hurt yourself on. After that comes bread and butter pickles and some of the other stuff that's fun to pickle like jalapenos and so forth. If your pickling a really low acid food you can always introduce acid on your own, citric acid and vinegar work just fine. Salty brine solutions also make that stuff pretty inhospitable to bacteria. I just err on the side of caution and consume most of my pickles/fermented foods within a couple months of making it and store it in cold temperatures. I also use smaller jars so I consume entire containers quicker and don't have it exposed to outside contamination after opening for too long. Botulism takes months at room temperature to really get going so If you just pickle every couple months and eat the food you make it will never be a problem. The only people who really are at risk for that crap are people who can alot of their own low acid tomato sauce and aren't very careful about it.

Basically the point I was trying to make with this post is that if you go crazy pickling and canning one day and find a rusty undated jar in the back of a cabinet two years later you might just want to toss it.

Kimchi, saurkraut, bread and butter pickles, sweet dill, jalapenos, onions, bell peppers.

you also want to make sure that there are no anti-caking agents in the salt as that is bad for bacteria growth as well.

pic is fermented red onions I made a few months back. sliced 3 red onions very thin massaged about a tbsp and a half of salt insto then and tamped it down into a quart jar with the juice of 3 limes. is by far the cheesest smelling ferment I've made but great on sandwiches.

I've also done alot of hot sauces fermented too. currently have a super hot one I made out of a lb of tabasco peppers and a green one from jalapeno, cilantro, garlic and lime

I made a sriracha clone that developed some kahm. when I first tasted it after ending fermentation and storing in the fridge it was very off. However 2 weeks later I tasted it again and it had a much better flavor to it. Not sure if just letting the ferment condition for a while in the fridge works for getting the kahm taste out every time but worked for me once

Century eggs.

Onions Look good.

So, just salt them veggies by aggresivelly rubbing them into the skin and then drown it lemon juice ? Will that work with cabbage ? Also, What is the approrpiate period to let it sit ? I ma guessing 2 weeks atleast ? Also, how to make sure that it's safe to eat and it didn't develop some kind of fungus ?

zsuzsaisinthekitchen.blogspot.hu/2011/08/fermented-pickles-kovaszos-uborka.html

This, kimchi and sauerkraut are probably the holy trinity of pickled/fermented stuff.

>what kind of solution to use
Aspirin

t. bulgarian expert

if you do kraut you don't use any solutions at all.
you add salt to the shredded cabbage and mince that thing with clean hands on sparkling clean table until it's soaking wet. And then you use something heavy on top of that to keep the product submerged in it's own brine. Usually, a steel or enamel cooking bucket + small pot lead upside down + all natural cobblestone clean and preboiled + said bucket lid. This whole thing sits and stinks in your cold basement for a week or less depending on the slices, after that you can bottle that to keep in your fridge or even bag that to keep in the freezer for reasons to stop the fermentation.

What do you guys do with what you pickle?
inb4 "eat it"

try pickling grapes
gooooooooood shit

>So, just salt them veggies by aggresivelly rubbing them into the skin and then drown it lemon juice ?
Not exactly. most vegetables should release enough liquid from the initial salt rub so that adding more isn't necessary. The lime used for the onions was a specific part of that recipe. it could be used with cabbage, though if you are trying to make a traditional sauerkraut then it wouldn't be a needed ingredient.

I'm really pretty new to this but the main things you need to learn is that when fermenting veggies there is a salt to solids weight ratio you want to go on to create a healthy environment for the bacteria to grow. The next main thing is when fermenting you want to keep all solids under the liquid. gives the best description of making that happen. That keeps most any fungus from growing.

I work in smaller batches so i typically rig something as a weight and follower. For instance with the onions I fermented them in a quart mason jar and used and half of lime wedged between the lid (which was loosely screwed) and the ferment to keep the submerged.

as far as time goes that depends on what you are fermenting and is best to consult more expert opinions to determine. Though for most things 2 weeks is plenty. From what I've read peppers are the only thing that deserves much more time than that.

"mince" i meant knead
"lead" - lid
ALSO important thing, to poke the whole mass of fermenting cabbage with a chopstick every day to release gases. It will be tastier that way.

Depends on the pickle. I use pickled jalapenos with alot of recipies. They have a lot of zing to add to a dish. Totally different from fresh or store bought. Depends on what you want in a dish.

Saurkraut goes with sausage. I guess it wouldn't matter for most dishes but I fucking love sausages so a couple of tablespoons with a sausage and a mustard is pretty rad

Kimchi and ginger are horses of a different color, very much a side to Asian dishes. Some people like those really crunchy vinegary vegetables others don't. I do throw my really really spicy kimchi in a bowl of ramen or whatever sometimes. Depends on the mood.

Bread and butter pickles are good in just about any usual pickle application. Use them all the time.

So, ez salted cucumbers.
Small fresh cucumbers, salt, herbs, clean plastic bag.
Add, shake, forget in the fridge for 2 days, eat with rice and a simple fried fish (fish, salt, flour).

i love sauerkraut so fucking much

boil some diced beetroots in vinegar salt water. Beetroots will be so-so, maybe ok to add as a side to homemade fried potatoes, but the brine man. YES

Use iodized salt.

Does your country have that type of ready-to-eat canned beans which are actually [baked], nice big and tender beans are placed in fried carrot + onion + tomatoes and own stew juice and not just some dyed corn slime? Sure does. This type tastes great in left out on a counter to ferment a bit. Even so if it had chilis too. Couldn't replicate that out of home made one.

have a hot sauce going right now, garlic jalepeno and a couple random small sweet peppers. used a small plastic funnel to hold it all down. Does anyone use any of those lids they sell online with the nipple so you don't have to burp. are they worth it? They seem spendy

sorry about the retarded resolutions my old android camera takes. cant figure out how to tell it to stop.

two days later, getting cloudy

>Couldn't replicate that out of home made one

Wtf? Make baked beans. Can them. Open jar and leave on counter to ferment. What are you on about m80? How is that impossible to do at home?