Fried Rice

How do you prepare it?
What gives it the taste?
Sesame Oil vs Soy Sauce vs Both vs Other

Discuss

try this stuff its sooo good

An oil that can stand up to high heat like corn/vegetable, canola or peanut, soy sauce, Maillard reaction, and a finisher like sesame oil and sure, MSG.

Don't use freshly cooked, wet rice. Don't cover the pan. Don't crowd the pan, cooking in batches if you have to. Use that one pan for everything. Cook at high heat.

MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE

How do you get your corn to look like that? With mine the skin stays on and it just tastes like corn out the can but when the Chinese place adds corn to the fried rice it looks like chopped up meaty corn pops.

Eggs

I don't even bother since I don't have a carbon steel wok and a strong enough heat source to make it decent enough.

Le sigh... Been cooking fried rice on a Chinese wok grill professionally for around nine months, now.

Ingredients and instructions:

2oz. oil to two cups of rice, give or take according to what vegetables and meat you're using.

Single egg, loosely scrambled in the pan.

Protein, sliced thin, stir fried to medium rare.

Whatever vegetables, though frozen peas and cubed carrots are traditional, added to the meat and fried until "sweating".

Drop in the rice, lower heat to nil and work quickly to avoid wok cooling overmuch, soak rice in soy sauce blend (we use Healthy Boy Golden Mountain and Mushroom sauces, 50-50) to 45-60% saturation, eyeballed, with the last 20% making a huge difference in flavor. It's better to err toward less sauce, as more can be added when tasting for adjustment, later.

Pound rice flat with spatula and spoon, taking care to avoid mashing vegetables you don't want crushed. Add ½ tablespoon sugar, then return the pan to high heat and start methodically blending the rice to distribute the sauce and sugar.

Up til this point, no more than 1.5 minutes ought to have passed, 2.5 minutes being a maximum for cook time. Gotta stay competitive. Singeing the rice a little will sometimes help the flavor, but finicky customers dictate some care.

It's fun getting used to working with two foot long, massive spatulas and spoons.

Thank you.

How do you get into that kind of work? Do you need a diploma in cooking or something?

I'm curious.

What do you mean by saturation? You mean like in coloration or 50% ratio of liquid per 100% of rice?

Why does everyone else's fried rice look yellow? In new england it's much more of a dark brown color. More soy sauce?

>Le sigh

Wow,go away? Nobody wants redditors shitting up the board.

>Sesame Oil

another gweilo falls for the sesame oil meme

Breakfast fried rice.

Brown chopped bacon in a wok. Remove once browned but reserve oil and add in onion, celery, and minced garlic. Add in day old rice. Mix, mix, mix. Season with a few tablespoons of oyster sauce, soy sauce, and black pepper. Make a center well or side opening & scramble some eggs. Toss bacon back. Mix, mix, mix.

By no means authentic but it's something I grew up eating quite often. Really good. Can also brown spam in vegetable oil instead if you're into that.

Soy sauce, mirin, and sake

Diet Coke

You can "dye" your rice by using either saffron infused liquid or by using some curry I think

Google "restaurant style fried rice."

You are correct that the recipe involves both sesame oil and soy sauce. The secrets are tons of butter and ginger. PROTIP: peanut oil

how do you confuse corn with eggs?

Not bad, but that's american fried rice. Traditional uses snow peas and salt for flavoring as well as Chinese sausage and yes it is rather crispy. Sounds good though, also what's the deal with the mushroom sauce? That's really a Thai thing. When I do it after work I use home made XO which pretty much goes with everything anyways.

Get fuuuucked, you double reverse secret user

Thai is just alternate recipe Chinese food anyway, more chili paste and flavored soy, thicker sauces, basically the same otherwise (except for the coconut milk based curries, which are of their own class)

>boil the rice
>take it out before it finished cooking
>leave in fridge an entire day not just overnight
perfect fried rice every time

You could think in terms of coating, if you'd like.

Our place uses a nozzled bottle for applying the soy blend, since it's more thorough in coating the rice, so there's a little judgement necessary for the amount (timing, appearance, adjustment for the amount of rice when cooking multiple orders simultaneously)

If you know how to cook, and you aren't afraid to learn, you just need to be friends with whatever asian place you want to work at. Pretty much every restaurant needs more cooks, depending on how busy the market is.

That's egg, they do sell those small baby corn in cans in the Asian section of stores though.