What's your favorite Implement/appliance?

Just as the title says. What is your favorite thing to use in the kitchen? it doesn't even have to be something you use a lot, just that one thing where you're going to prep something and you think "oh fuck yeah i get to use ____ for this"

for me i don't know what it is but using the mandoline is just really satisfying for me.

We had a food processor at McAlister's Deli when I worked there that made a really cool sound when the cucumbers went through it. I guess that would be my answer, if only because I don't use a wide variety of cutlery in my daily cooking.

Microplane, or dropping the brand name, a zester.

I have a wooden spatula similar to this that I use all the time. Wooden spoons are good too

I've got a professional mixer. Worth it to make your own breads and bagels.

which one do you have?

i had a bunch of wooden stuff but a shitty roommate kept leaving em in hot pans or in the sink full of water for days at a time and they all turned gross

Looks like a fedora

kek I was about to say the same.

Rasp grater. A zester is the shitty old-fashioned kind.

This thing. So satisfying.

Immersion blender

or just my most used knife...

ive never had one of these

My Thermapen is my favourite kitchen tool. Everything is so much easier with a good thermometer.

m'slices and m'juliennes

I dont cook, I wash dishes

ive heard one of the best things for cast iron is a chainmail scrubber

It can do more than zest. I use mine for grating nutmeg. A Japanese youtuber I follow grates garlic on it. Doesn't work too well for that.

I'd bet money it's a Kitchen Aid.

Get off the farm, Country Joe.

So in all seriousness I'd assume you would recommend a mandolin?

yea they're pretty great. the one in the pic is an OXO one a friend has. you can use a dial to change how thick you slice stuff and it can do juliennes and crinkle cut slices which is cool cause you can use that to do your own waffle fries

Came here to post this. Can't live without it.

yea. i want to get one. are the lower cost ones ok or should i go balls deep and get a high price one?

Too many uses in the kitchen.

When we moved into the house the garbage disposal what this tiny little crappy thing that was loud as fuck but could not actually bring anything, it was always jamming clogging and backing up.

Wife went out of town for a weekend, I put in pic related.

There is something satisfying about watching chicken bones disappear down the drain with no problem.

had to give that pic a second glance there

i dont understand how i lived without these for so long

I have never seen the point of them. Is it an apartment tool. Don't you have access to a bin?

that sounds amazing. im living out in the country right now so we've got a septic tank which means no disposal unless we get one of those special ones that spray extra enzyme stuff into what you're grinding up otherwise the septic tank can get fucked up

no

large volcanic rock mortar and pestle, my Mexican molcajete makes the best guacamole, grilled salsa and grinds all my spices.also great for Asian dishes to muttle shit.

Mostly because I only use it to make delicious things.

Not apartment, house quite a ways from the city. We have sewer, so don't have the requirements for the septic, but we like to keep food waste in the garbage cans to a minimum.

Raccoons, possums, coyotes, foxes, the occasional black bear... I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you are European and don't see the point in every house having a rifle or two laying about either.

On one hand, it must be nice living on a continent that has been so domesticated for so long that you don't have to worry about stuff like that. On the other hand, I'm glad this isn't Australia where EVERYTHING wants to kill you.

But that's what's great about Australia, mate. Only the strong survive.

My cast iron dutch oven I got as a xmas gift. Whenever this is in the oven, shits gonna be so damn good

WHAT IS THIS GLORIOUS DEVICE?

Knife.

Potato ricer

a mandoline slicer

i dont have one. what's your favorite dish to make using it?

When you absolutely need to chop and mix the everloving hell out of ANYthing ever. Accept no substitutes, not even a Robocoup.

knife or blow torch
what is that and how does it work

Riced potato

Jackie Brown reference?

that bell pepper is wearing a fedora

garlicpress, mezzaluna, large vietnamese cleaver
pressing garlic its strangely satisfying, for the mezzaluna the fact it saves a lot of time and has a pretty narrow use makes me happy when there is a rare reason to actually use it, same for the cleaver

Sexy. I'm stuck using heavy ass glass pyrex bowls for some reason.

>Immersion blender
yes

I'm pretty emotionally attached to my Chinese cleaver, because every time I get ready to cook it's pretty much the first thing I reach for.

If you don't have one of these in your kitchen, you don't know SHIT about cooking.

I bought a used blendtec for a few bucks off of Craigslist and it has changed my life, I can blend the fuck out of anything

Nice unitasker, fag. I just use a cleaver. Works just as well.

jack scalfani recently bought one of these, think about that.

Combination electric pressure cooker/slow cooker/rice cooker. Soups, stews, chili, and braises with little time required, but with great results. Also doesn't heat up the kitchen in the summer like a simmering pot of liquid or turning on the oven.

Gravity is my favorite appliance cuz it keeps my ingredients in the bowl and not floating around

>Pepper fedora

Came here to post this. I find myself reaching for it more and more. Love it.

Finger slicer, it can also slice other things.

I like it for peeling taters too.

Kitchen aid isn't a professional mixer, even though they have a line called "professional". it says right on the professional "for home use only" which means it's not gonna hold up in a restaurant environment.

Get a Hobart if you need a real pro mixer

THIS

Has completely changed the way I cook, everything is a new adventure

Just sucks that an all-steel model is like $100, the ones with the plastic frames all end up breaking due to stress sooner or later.

For 2 grand? Christ.

Zester is a brand name? Wtf

What the fuck is that thing

Thermomix, you will never cook with anything else again with one of those bad boys

It's a thermomix, it can heat, blend and do all sorts of other shit, my mum had one of the bigger ones and it was pretty decent

Is liking cast iron for hicks or something? All my pans are cast iron but then again I do live in Ohio

>The successor model TM 5 was rated in 2015 with mark 2.9 (satisfactory). The noise level (measured at 91 decibel by stirring water)
>There have been numerous accounts of a Thermomix machine "exploding" and burning people with scalding liquids
>The ABC understands 18 of those required several weeks of treatment in hospital burns units.
Sounds like a dangerous mystery machine

My mum had the Thermomix 4, it was pretty good.

It was pretty loud though but wasn't as loud as a regular blender, no explosions, looks like the top of the TM5 seals whereas the top for the TM4 had a hole in the top for a cap thing.

Apparently the TM5 had bad rubber seals

I've worked with industrial Hobart mixers before. They're pretty fucking durable.

STOP BUYING UNITASKERS

i dont think so man. they're great and its pretty much impossible to fuck them up bad enough that they're unusable

fuck you OP my coworker died that way

died from a mandoline?

>guess he didn't make the cut

Fuck this annoying faggot

tough call between slapchop and blender.
I love salsa and smoothies.

Kek

yessss

>i had a bunch of wooden stuff but a shitty roommate kept leaving em in hot pans or in the sink full of water for days at a time and they all turned gross
Drop them in some bleach and they'll lose the fungus

Theres nothing inherently wrong with unitaskers. The issue is that new cooks don't know what they're going to regularly and can't differentiate between junk that isn't much better and is hard to clean, junk that will clutter your kitchen because you rarely need it, and products that actually make your life a lot easier because you use them constantly for a dish or dishes you often make.

But once again since the show is made for beginner cooks a lot of people take that stupid fucking rule to the extreme

I actually find that in the kitchen, in practice the juicero is amazing.

garlic press

diced garlic just isn't the same

Why do need a hand mixer? Why not just buy a hand blender that has the blender feature + some extra? A hand blender will likely take the same space in the kitchen but it much more versatile

lol what?
do you know what thats for?

i've never seen a unitasker that was so helpful that it saved me so much time that it was worth the space in my limited number of drawers
honestly a couple of multitaskers, a decent set of knives, and a little bit of skill is usually faster than having multiple unitaskers for one meal

>it doesn't even have to be something you use a lot, just that one thing where you're going to prep something and you think "oh fuck yeah i get to use ____ for this"
My Vitamix, hands down. I love to watch it process everything I toss in it dwon to purees or powders. Using the tamper to force stubborn veggies or fruits into the swirling vortex is also highly very therapeutic. Using the pulse button to get the perfect texture on salsa and mise en place is a dream. It's obnoxiously loud though.

It's a dough scraper. When I make doughs I use my cleaver similar to pic. I'm not buying a unitasking piece of clutter when a cleaver does exactly the same thing.

Will it blend? That is the question.

I tried that once but found that the slight belly on the knife was useless compared to a flat scraper.

They'll also soak up the bleach. Wouldn't vinegar work just as well?

What unitaskers do you use that save you a lot of time?

his eyes stare into your soul

came here to post this
>tips mandoline

Not him, but this. It's the only unitasker I own other than a meat grinder, sausage stuffer, refrigerator, smoker, grill, range/oven, dishwasher, washing machine, knife, hammer, screw driver, shovel, rake, hoe, tiller, fishing pole, shotgun, rifle, car, house and freezer.

I'd like to buy one of these for a few steam cooking recipes, how do you use them?

I never use mine since I'm afraid it's bad for the pipes

Lol, what? The whole point of those things is that they are NOT bad for the pipes. What's bad is putting crap down the pipes without running it through a garbage disposal.

If I order now, can I get 2 for 89.99?