Store-bought McDonald's-type fries

Hi Veeky Forums,

Lately I've had bad experiences at McDonald's so I don't want to go there anymore if I can avoid it. Having said that, I do enjoy their fries.

So what's the best store-bought brand of french fries that is comparable in taste and style to McDonald's fries?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=204&v=2w_OxdmoiDQ
youtube.com/watch?v=US9itxWOSy8
onskookboek.com/frieten-voorbakken/2631/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Any off-brand "shoestring" fries will do.

You do have a fryer at home, yes? You're going to need to fry these in oil. Baking doesn't cut it.

>Lately I've had bad experiences at McDonald's
You realised you were being over-charged for shit quality food then?
Good lad, learn to cook for yourself.

What the fuck is with this board and trying to replicate fast food at home

You do realize that with thw rimw spent cooking something you could get near immediately otherwise, the McDonalds is a much better deal, right?

These new age modern americana resturants all have the same fries and they are insane good.
They clearly dont make them in house as they have been "out of our normal frys" on many occasions so they substitute the shit frozen frys you get from a grocery store

The good ones are sort of thin but with rough edges not crinkle cut shit either

Here is a chicken sandwhich one of these places makes and the frys
No idea the brand or style

anouther better shot of them

Make them with a fryer.

Those must have cornmeal or something on them. It's the only way to explain the crunchy outside. I agree those are GOAT fries, too bad there's no way to get them other than going to a random diner and hoping that's the kind they have

fries are stupid easy to make

you'd have to be a retard to buy frozen ones

>those must have cornmeal on them

You can make any fry crunchy even using an oven with a bit of effort.

the best
the true cadillac of fries

Mc donalds fries are cut thin washed in water this washes away all the starch then they are soaked in sugared water, the sugar will take the place from the now gone starch, this is why mc donalds fries are so diffrent from most other fries.

yeah no, I'm from Belgium, and EVERY SINGLE TOWN has a local fry shop where they sell these kinds of fries.

It's REALLY simple.
1. peel, cut into fries and put in a bowl and run
a slow stream of water into the bowl for 10 minutes (until the water is clear)

2. Dry off with a towel and fry for 5 minutes at 145°C / 295° F in OIL

3. rest UNCOVERED in the fridge for 12+ hours so the outside dries out and you get a little coating

4. Fry at 185°C / 365° F until golden brown.

The pre-frying makes sure the potato is cooked and develops a little layer on the outside. The 12+hours in the fridge (= DRY air) makes the crust thicker, and final fry crisps it up.

The little crispy cracks and bumps form when you take'm out of the first fry batch and some of them get bruised.

Don't be adding fucking starch to normal fucking potatoes.

>put in a bowl and run
a slow stream of water into the bowl for 10 minutes (until the water is clear
Wtf Belgium is like the only country where you do not wash the starch out of freshly cut fries.

This guy gets its. As you can see in the youtube video i'll add, They:
>cut the fries and soak it water to remove excess starch
>soak in a dextrose solution with some acidity to combat color changing and make them nice and crispy
>let them dry
>First fry (less than a minute long) then frozen
>In the restaurant they are simply fried again in vegetable oil.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=204&v=2w_OxdmoiDQ
That's what the running water does. Wash off the starch, but it does it AFK

No I mean all belgian chefs and fry shop don't wash their fries...
They cut them sometimes they'll put them on a towel to loose some moisture.
I'm saying in Belgian kitchen you don't wash the starch out of fries but you claim they do.

That's retarded, even a real fry potato will burn if you dont wash off the starch.

here's a video of one of the most famous Belgian chef's making fries. He washes them at 4:20

youtube.com/watch?v=US9itxWOSy8

Well then we should agree we bake them in all kind of ways
onskookboek.com/frieten-voorbakken/2631/
Examples of chefs that don't do it...

Yeah, I never realized that was actually an option. I might try making them without washing.

I'm guessing the fact that they do they first fry at lower temperature, almost poaching it, the excess starch goes into the oil so it doesn't leave any burnt stuff on the fries.

Amerilard here. Can confirm this works and I don't even have a deep fryer, just a pan with oil and thermometer. I only let it cool for 1 hour after the first fry and it's still great.

Seems you have to know what kind of potato you are using to be able to tell the amount of starch you have to wash out or even not wash it out at all.

People don't realize that multinational fastfood corporations contract with enormous corporate potato farmers to grow a special hybrid russet that is not available for purchase by an ordinary consumer. You'll never obtain the kind of potato that will allow you to duplicate fastfood fries. It isn't added starch, msg, sugar or any other bullshit.

The crispness

The juiciness

Nothing beats McDonald's fries in those department

The others are only better in having more actual potato in their fries

Just had these last month at a new little cafe downtown. Was 10/10, also the bacon cheeseburger was 7/10.

>Eat fast food at fast food restaurants
>Eat home cooked foods at home

Am I the only one who does this? I really don't understand why you need to eat greasy oily shit all day everyday.

>frys

This guy frys

>I do enjoy their fries.

McDonalds has the WORST fries in the fast food industry, they're like salty hollowed out burned sticks and twigs.

Not only that, but the same variety of potato will have different levels of sugar and starch depending on what time of year it was harvested and how long it has been stored.

great peanut-butter flavored fries you got their faggot

>download mcdonald's app
>wait for Free Fries Friday
>order 2 mcdoubles + a large coke for 3.50 and get medium fries for free

there's no way to replicate the perfection of mcdonalds fries. many have tried and failed

seconded, five guys, LIGHTLY seasoned with cajun spice, if you just tell em cajun they drown em in that shit, gotta make friends and tell em to go easy on it

What are you, some kind of faggot? Five Guys has top tier fries but ONLY if you request them with extra cajun spice. Otherwise you're just getting a bunch of peanut flavored potato mush.

>Lately I've had bad experiences at McDonald's

what happened?

Don't listen to this retard and his stupid bullshit.

Every restaurant is selling you frozen fries. If they aren't they'll ram "TOTALLY HAND CUT ORGANICALLY FRIED HOME FRY POTATOES" buzzwords down your gullet. Most places sell you fries with a maltodextrin starch coating that crisps up in the fryer nicer than naked fries. Even fries that are barely crispy have this shit coating them.

They are Sysco fries. Even the god of make everything the hard way thomas keller uses them at bouchon.