"Insects are le FUTURE xDD

"Insects are le FUTURE xDD
Insects have more proteins, and bill nye said we will eat them so that's true :))"

I hope you never fall for the insect shill

Useless fad that will never catch on

Other urls found in this thread:

arr.va-vdacs.com/PublicReports/ViewReport?SysFacNo=157&Calendar_Year=2016
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've never eaten them but genuinely don't mind the idea. I'd like to try them before I make the call but for some reason I feel like crunchy fried crickets with different seasonings could be a protein filled alternative to chips.

Care to elaborate on how insects are not the future?

>eaten by the vast majority of the world
>useless fad

kys my man

I don't mind the idea of eating insects as such, but their spindly little legs all up in my mouth sounds horrifying.

Grind them into an unrecognizable pulp and I'm on board.

Would you rather eat faggy insects than a good steak?

not that guy but i'd rather eat both you cretin

always do the opposite of what bill nye says

>insects for the brown mass of consumer slave goyim
>finely marbled meat and offal for God's Chosen People

Sign me up!

As long as they take away the visual aspect of creepy-crawlies, I'm on board. Drying them and grinding them up in a flour could be the way to go.

Sadly, the current bug flour products cost a lot, so the whole idea of "cheap to produce" so far hasn't materialized for consumers.

>Sometimes eaten in China
>Majority of the world

Japan has been trying to remove their ant dishes from culinary history as an embarassment

This.
I don't think I could eat them as they are, but as a featureless processed 'meat product' I'd give it a go.

The keyword there: Featureless.

If Crickets were the future there would have to be some Chef out there that created a killer dish using them.

All I see is LMAO it's a great Protein Based Flour and for real don't we already have nuts which taste good and are repulsive.

People who talk about Crickets being the future are clickbaiters or dystopia fearing idiots. As long as people have the disposable income to buy priced food we're not munching on bugs.

>But it's better for you than Meat LMAO

If we are for nutritional value our meals would be way different. At the very least we'd at least all be using Whole Grain Flour instead of White.

>I hope you never fall for the insect shill

Sure, and first worlders probably won't every mass consume insects.

Insects are for Niggers who choose to live in the fucking desert with no other food, or overpopulated poo in the streets.

In fact, it's actually the best solution to helping those people.

Let's not pretend we're going out to Applebees and eating a plate of roaches anytime soon.

is that my dog

>eating insects

Fucking disgusting.

mmmMmmammamb goo....D!

I'd eat a lb of bugs before I'd drink a fucking BL lime. Either of those other beers are fine but BL lime is objectively the worst beer.

>Useless

The point is that they require significantly less resources (especially water) to produce, and don't themselves produce a metric shittonne of greenhouse gasses (cow farts are notoriously awful for the environment)
At the very least we'll have to move away from beef and focus on less destructive animals like poultry

As it stands bug protein is gimmicky and overpriced, but if it ever gets into the supermarket priced competitively with flour then I have zero qualms adding it to my diet.

What a cutie :3

That's a DIY Gout starter kit right there.

My step-mom is thai and she cooks all sort of bug stuff. It's the most disgusting smell I've ever experienced from a kitchen and I will never try it.

I warned people about Bill Nye before, but they didn't listen then.

Because he's not a fucking frog and wants to eat real food?

>vast majority
lolno

>At the very least we'll have to move away from beef
Never gonna happen.

At best, cows will be fitted with devices to capture their gas and excrement for manure and possible fuel. And there's quite a lot of fucking ifs to that idea.

Nigga we ain't got the water to keep growin' cows on an industrial scale indefinitely

Imagining cows running around with personal air filters attached to their ass right now.

We need to advance desalination technology and build more plants but no one is doing or saying anything about it. Surely a corporate interest. There's plenty of water, we just have to get the salt and whale super out of it.

>whale sperm
Can't believe I have to go back and make a correction saying "whale sperm" on the internet. Never thought it would get this bad.

The ocean is not a sustainable water source.

>The ocean is not a sustainable water source.

THANKS CHINA!! for using the ocean as your garbage dump for the past 10 years.

>implying the US hasn't been doing it for 50

the ocean is only a water source for saudi arabia

The great pacific garbage patch is invisible to the naked eye. What a dumb picture.

Probably has a lot to do with every Tsunami hitting Japan and taking whole cities away with it.

Desalination is a good idea in some ways, but there's two problems, power and waste.
A wider adoption of more modern nuclear power can make for a really grand amount of clean energy, but even then you have to contend with all the brine desalination produces. Most places would just pump it straight back into the ocean, but that's really not good for the environment, it'll basically kill all the aquatic life in the area around the plant, and I think a better solution for that needs to be found.

I do like pork better.

You know that garbage isn't inseparable from the water, right?

Not gonna lie, I think a lot of the world's problems could probably be solved by some large meteors killing 9/10's of China's population.

It'd be a tragedy of course, and it'd be it's own ecological disaster, but still.

Cultured meat is more likely to be the future than switching to insects. A lot of people are vegetarian/vegan for moral reasons, so insects won't change their minds. Poor people who already eat meat won't switch to eating insects because it will make them feel insulted. Cultured meat has the problem of people calling it a lab experiment and being afraid of it, but less problems than trying to get everyone to switch to insects.

I don't know if insects have the same problems that animals do with parasites, diseases, etc. but I don't like that insects won't be able to be inspected as easily for those issues since there would be more of them.

You also get milk and other byproducts from cows, that graph is a bit misleading.

I'm against cultured meat for moral reasons, I'd sooner switch to bugs.

Well yeah salt kills everything but getting rid of shit that melts like that isn't too hard. They could purify and refine it into sea salt possibly.

As for energy, no one has talked about thorium in many years because there's no money in it once it's up and running. That would solve the power issue.

All this tech for basic needs being squelched for financial gain pisses me off. It pisses everyone off. Some guy got an engine to run on water many many years ago and no one knows what happened to him.

Some of those byproducts aren't much better.

>There has been some controversy surrounding the use of the term "garbage patch" and photos taken off the coast of Manila in the Philippines in attempts to portray the patch in the media often misrepresenting the true scope of the problem and what could be done to solve it. Dr. Angelicque White, Associate Professor at Oregon State University, who has studied the "garbage patch" in depth, warns that “the use of the phrase ‘garbage patch’ is misleading. ... It is not visible from space; there are no islands of trash; it is more akin to a diffuse soup of plastic floating in our oceans." In the article Dr. White and Professor Tamara Galloway, from the University of Exeter, call for regulation and cleanup and state that the focus should be on stemming the flow of plastic into the ocean from coastal sources.[43]

Maybe you should read up on what it fucking is?
It's not evenly distributed, and it's also, again, not inseparabls from the water.

Lab grown meat is unviable, no one will eat it, less than half a percent of the people on earth will buy into that shit. It is not the future. Cows are good for eating, the fucking methane goes away, animals that produce methane have always existed but people have led you to believe that it doesn't leave the atmosphere.

What do you believe?
Invisible layer of gases above us that prevent gases from going through the gases?
Or:
Firmament, the methane is trapped and never goes away.

Can you fucking imagine how much methane a brontosaurus produced? How the fuck did an ice age happen if this shit warms up the earth?

I don't actually care what you believe, just bringing up some points about this.

>Some guy got an engine to run on water many many years ago and no one knows what happened to him.
He probably didn't sell it or went to prison for fraud. Or went into hiding based on the threat of the former.

You can't make an engine that runs on fucking water, it's an age old conman routine. Did you get this shit off facebook or something? I mean that's retarded as shit.

Considering the actual cost of a cow (they're not cheap), people make sure to use every fucking atom out of it, nothing gets wasted in livestock, people have found industrial uses for literally every part and element of the creature beyond the parts that you eat.

I don't know, it was just a youtube video I scrolled past, I watched a little bit and the engine ran with no exhaust about 30 years ago.

Not touting it as real, but 20 years ago people would call you a fucking idiot for believing that cars could run on used vegetable oil. But they do now. Stinks worse than leaded Mexican gasoline

>Can you fucking imagine how much methane a brontosaurus produced?

Bruh the earth in the dinosaur times was an oven compared to today

I'd rather not insects are important for the ecosystem if all of a sudden everyone started eating them shits gonna get fucked.

the methane is trapped but can react to form other things (usually CO2 and water vapor), the ozone layer has nothing to do with this
if the cows were farting CO2 everything would be fine because grass digestion is a carbon neutral process but one methane molecule has something like x25 the CO2 equivalent greenhouse effect

I've seen a lot of people, including people who currently eat meat, say that they would eat cultured meat. It's possible to eat meat but still want to have it without animals needing to be slaughtered for it. I think it would just take a few celebrity figures to endorse it and the younger generation to get into it, having grown up with it being available and not something that just came out when they were already grown.

It's not I think the methane would never go away on its own, but I don't think the Earth can handle the massive boost in methane from factory farming, especially if more and more countries start doing the same thing. Animals that produce methane have always existed, but not at this scale.

It doesn't matter how much methane a brontosaurus produced, just like it doesn't matter how much methane one cow produced. I don't know how many brontosauruses were around at the same time, but there are over a billion cows on Earth.

>In other words, variations in the intensity and timing of heat from the sun are the most likely cause of the glacial/interglacial cycles

Oil can be burned for energy, water can't. I mean what the fuck does the water do in that engine? Does it move around by itself? Is it a perpetual motion machinery of pumps and mills?

This is thermodynamics 101, you shouldn't even need an education to see why it doesn't work.

>20 years ago people would call you a fucking idiot for believing that cars could run on used vegetable oil

Rudolph Diesel was running engines on peanut oil 110 years ago.

It's still making it seem like more than it really is, unless I'm wrong. It's not 2463 gallons per pound of beef + 2057 gallons per pound of butter, but 2463 gallons getting you a pound of beef, a pound of butter, etc.

I'm not saying it's not a lot of water or something to ignore, but it still seems misleading. I have a big problem with people being misleading or irrational when trying to help animals or the environment, I think it turns a lot of people off when they pick up on it because they don't want to feel like they're being manipulated.

That's actually a really good point, but the data is unimaginable to accurately obtain for that.

Global warming is a money scheme to get people to pay the government for farting, we know this, and temperatures have been getting lower for many years we have this data but not millions of years ago data.

You can study the soil and plants that grew, but some of those plants still grow. Animals do not thrive in sun and a lot of animals today have illnesses, seizures and extreme discomfort when exposed. Well, reptiles do.

I don't know what to think about the whole thing. The only thing I'm sure of is that climate change is not caused by man and his cows, I believe that the methane does simply float off and go away.

You've never farted and had it fail to stop existing have you? You can smell it until it disperses, and you never find it again, but the conventional theory is that it exists forever. Does your house smell like a fart you left in it 3 years ago? It does dilute, but it also seems to go upwards being lighter than air. Thinking that it's trapped in the atmosphere and causing magnification of the sun is pretty asinine.

I like it fuck you

>not at this scale
You're right. Why don't we just start adding anti gas medication to the feed though? Or changing the diet?
Someone has had to of thought of this and figured it not worth spending money on gas that just floats away. All animals do this shit. I guess we just have too many now, but the concern is only justified if the gas actually IS trapped, which I believe is a ridiculous assumption.

I think they found out that adding a bit of a certain type of seaweed greatly reduced methane output, but it wasn't feasible to grow it just for that reason.

It's not that the methane is trapped forever, but the rate at which it breaks down, disperses, whatever is slower than the production from factory farming and everything else.

It's probably not something you, in your comfy 1st world life, will see in your lifetime; but some peoples already do rely on insects (to some degree) in their diet. Insects are rich in protein, so it makes sense.

But yes, insect may one day become an actual necessity in human dietary needs.

(also, if you eat any form of crustacean, you are already eating literal insects)

More good points, yeah it moves pretty slow and some will fail to go away at the rate we produce it.
We just have to gather ideas that work. Canopies with suction hoses do work, but covering everything and keeping the cows in there is impossible if they graze.
Medication is probably too expensive to use because cows weigh fucking tons and need way more and the benefits are none.

We need to figure out first why they fart so damn much. Is it the grass, the four stomachs, the other medications, the wheat germ feed or what? Someone explain this part to me.

I'd sooner eat human.

>We just have to gather ideas that work.

"reduce reliance on cows for meat" doesn't work?
No point attempting to cure flatulence when there are plenty of animals which don't have that problem in the first place and require less resources to produce besides.

>We need to figure out first why they fart so damn much.
Due to their biology, I think. They ferment the vegetable matter they eat in their stomachs to make it easier to digest before bringing it up to chew again, which creates gases just like fermenting bread, beer, etc.

Plenty of animals that eat grass, and also produce milk and other byproducts that get used?

Yes?
Did you think cows were the only mammalian herbivores?

Did you forget cattle ranchers waged actual warfare against goat herders 100 years ago over access to grasslands?

Stop being a vegan, we're having a serious discussion. No one wants lab grown fucking meat dude.

GMO cows is the answer. Five stomachs my ass, why can't we improve feed?
We fucking throw them the wheat germ/nutrients and replace them with chemicals, why can't we just prevent grazing and keep them in a fart collecting tent? They get the best part of our wheat anyways, they'll live.

I've eaten insect burgers a couple of times. The insects are grown specifically for this purpose and minced at the larval stage for nutritional reasons.
Was pretty good, quite filling. A little dry, and made me a bit thirsty afterward.
Would definitely do it again.

I do think pork burgers should be more commonplace.

>vegan

Don't insult me, I just want to eat a meat that won't boil my planet alive and honestly beef isn't worth the upkeep, it's kinda boring desu

>Discounting African Asian and south America as a majority of the world

They're pretty common user.
People eat them for breakfast in the West.

I know about goats and others, but are they really much more efficient?

>GMO cows is the answer.
You still have the issue with a lot of people being unhappy with animals being killed for meat. Unless you engineer a cow that grows meat apples that can be picked without killing it or something. GMO food is definitely a good thing though, I'm all for it.

I don't think people would want to see live animals engineered and kept in bad conditions for pure efficiency, a lot of people are already against it. I think cultured meat is better to produce meat for most people who just want to eat it, it would take the pressure off of them from factory farms and you would probably have more smaller farms trying to raise healthy and happy animals, either for fun like petting zoos or for people who still want their meat for whatever reason.

We don't have them in Sweden
>inb4 torrents of muslim jokes

>a lot of people being unhappy with animals being killed for meat
Who gives a shit about those losers? We're on top of the foodchain for a reason. If they don't like steak then they don't have to eat it.

There's nothing wrong with not wanting animals to suffer and be in pain. It's partially why we try to come up with the quickest and most painless way to slaughter them. And it's why people abhor things like how in some Asian restaurants they'll cut a chunk off of a live fish then put it back in the tank for a while.

Being on top of the food chain doesn't mean you have to be insensitive and uncaring, it should be the opposite really. If you're lower on the food chain you don't have the time to worry about if the animal you're eating is suffering, but we do, and we should be concerned about it. Otherwise we're not any better, and we should always try to do better.

>>a lot of people being unhappy with animals being killed for meat

Alot of uneducated people (liberal snowflakes) can't understand the fact that we're still just animals on this earth and forcing yourself into a specific diet is actually a LUXURY most people don't have.

"We're animals too" shouldn't be used an excuse to cause suffering to animals though. If you're just talking about the narrow-minded vegans who become hateful and obsessive, and put more energy into hating people than helping animals that's fine. But there are vegetarians and vegans who keep it to themselves unless it's relevant and just try to make things better in ways that they can.

>some people aren't currently able to eat an entirely vegan diet

Okay. Is this supposed to be an argument against veganism? If some people still have to eat animals to survive that makes their actions necessary at the moment, not ethically preferable. The goal would be to make fully vegan diets possible for everyone.

I'm not a vegan either but these anti-vegan mental gymnastics are always so pathetic.

>I'm not a vegan either
Same, but I think a lot of it is just a reaction to the preachy and hateful vegan types that get more attention. A lot of vegans just abuse and put others down and they'll say they're helping animals by doing it, but they don't realize they're turning people away from listening to any legitimate arguments they have.

Some people also just want to keep eating meat and they feel bad about animals having to be killed for that, so they'll try to justify it in some way.

>cow that grows meat apples
That's pretty funny. We just have to overcome fucking PETA, who for some reason cares more about animals being eaten and used for everything than the fact that you can buy a 2.5lb rat and punch it to death legally on a youtube video.
Fucking forget them. They don't give a shit about animal abuse. They have an agenda, and I don't know what it is.

>lower on the food chain you don't have the time to worry about if the animal you're eating is suffering

In fact it's counterproductive. You want the animal's struggles ended as quickly as possible to minimize risk of injury. That's why most predators go for the juggler veins in the neck. It's only when you start dealing with insects like wasps where they paralyze a victim and let their offspring eat it alive that it looks like torture.

>What is the water cycle?
>What is water purification?

>buy a 2.5lb rat and punch it to death legally on a youtube video

How often does this happen? A few times a decade? There are millions of animals killed every day for food. Just think for two seconds, come on man.

>They have an agenda, and I don't know what it is.

PETA's agenda is the complete abolition of animal domestication.
Their leadership all have ties to the Animal Liberation Front, their animal rescuers euthanize pets in mobile killvans more often than not, and there have been instances where they've refused to offer aid to police horse stables, stating they'd prefer the animals die than remain in servitude.

>What is the water cycle?

Something we've ruined by a) removing water from local aquifer cycles through bottling and b) paving over or drying out land such that water evaporates back into the sky rather than running back down to the ocean through rivers both above and below ground like it's supposed to.

Source (Not Breitbart, Alex Jones, etc.)? Yeah, I thought not.

You're right but we eat and use every part of them. The only problem left is dealing with the dispersal of methane.

That is really fucked up. Preferring an animal starve to death if it can't catch food?
Do they know what humans are and how much trouble we have feeding ourselves in the wild? How can they not cross reference? They buy their food at fucking supermarkets.

There are some videos of animals beginning to eat another animal while it's still alive though. Either because it's injured already or sick, but they'll start tearing it apart and not care about killing it right away. Yeah they'll try to kill it quickly during a hunt to minimize injury to themselves, but they don't care about causing it to suffer. A lot of people do care about minimizing suffering though, which is a good thing. It's not a flaw to care about the suffering of others, even animals.

>juggler veins

kek

But that's not really true. Predators only care to disable their prey, not actually kill it. If it's lost the ability to run away or fight back, it's gonna get eaten no matter how much pain it might still be feeling. Nature is brutal, man.

crab, shrimp, lobster are insects of the sea

Source is their own reports and public statements
Last year alone they murdered 71% of all animals they rescued.

arr.va-vdacs.com/PublicReports/ViewReport?SysFacNo=157&Calendar_Year=2016

>They have an agenda, and I don't know what it is.
They think they're being compassionate by destroying all domesticated animals. They don't realize that animals in the wild usually live short and brutal lives full of suffering, and humans are really their only hope of escaping that. Like animals in zoos can be depressed, but it's better to try and build better zoos than to just kill all the animals in the zoo.

They're just misguided nihilists who have no faith in humans making things better for animals, and it's easy to fall into that trap when you see how awful factory farms can be, and what people do to animals sometimes. But, by doing what they do, they aren't giving good people a chance to help them either.

Domesticated animals aren't "escaping" anything. If humans stopped using them, they wouldn't go back into the wild, they'd just stop existing. Their populations would simply disappear.

That's their thought process though, they think it would be better for those animals to stop existing than continuing to suffer in factory farms.

It's like I said about the zoos though, instead of saying "kill all the animals" they should be saying "build better farms", or something. Or supporting the development of cultured meat.

Would you rather the human race cease to exist or be enslaved by aliens and used perpetually as a food source? Not even trolling, I think it's actually a legit question.

>instead of saying "kill all the animals" they should be saying "build better farms", or something.

That's what the SPCAs are for.
PETA is ideologically opposed to humane treatment of animals, they don't want any humans treating animals at all.

>vast majority of the world
>and by that I mean subhuman non-white cultures
really tickles my tastebuds

Here's a real answer from someone who likes bugs well enough as food: despite insistence that it's cheaper to produce and more sustainable, absolutely no effort whatsoever has been made by ANYONE to make bugs as cheap or available at the consumer level. There is also no reason to believe that effort will ever start. The only supporters of insect protein are scientists who want grant money and have no intention to follow through once they get it, and clickbait writers who would advocate eating your own kidneys if they thought they could sell the article.

>Insects scare me, so NO ONE should ever eat them le meme meme meme let me shit out my mouth....

FTFY

Are you okay?

>absolutely no effort whatsoever has been made by ANYONE to make bugs as cheap or available at the consumer level.

There's plenty of hipster startups pushing processed bug powder onto millenials
Problem is there's no demand so they have to sell it as a luxury item to fellow hipsters

You can order cricket flour on Amazon, I think. High in protein, add it to your baked goods and you'd never know it was there. Although I think they have a slightly nutty flavor.

I don't have a problem with eating bugs, because when I was a kid, my brother and I grew up on a farm, and we'd dare (or make) each other to eat bugs, minnows, tadpoles, all the time (you know how boys are, we were vicious to each other), so the though of eating meal worms, grubs, crickets, really doesn't bother me. HOWEVER, I have to draw the line at tarantulas or other spiders. I don't have a fear of spiders, but I don't want that many legs in my mouth, it just sounds incredibly unpleasant.

Mass producing insects for consumption is fucking retarded, because the vast majority of insect species eat other insects, and even members of their own species for survival.