So this just happened

>see terrible waiters experience thread on Veeky Forums
>laugh at Stephan with an "on" and not a "phen" meme
>go to grab some coffee during a break
>standing behind hipster nu-male in line
>when they ask him his name he literally tells them "Stephan with an on and not a phen"
>commence laughing hysterically
>everybody looks at me like I'm deranged
>can barely place order

What are your experiences in the food service industry where the meme becomes reality?

You were the one that told them your name was StephON and then laughed at your own inside joke, faggot.

t. StephON

>cafes that ask for your name because they want to look like they care but don't actually care enough to get it right

Food service cancer. Just give people a number.

Far more entertaining hearing them fuck up peoples names, imo.

why not just give it directly? i mean how long can it take to make a fucking coffee

Because it takes time to make a proper "Venti Soy Quadruple Shot Latte with No Foam".

>because they want to look like they care
Lol, is that what autists think? It's some normie conspiracy to make you feel socially awkward?

They do it because it's a complete shit show when they give out numbers while everyone is on facebook as they're getting rung up

At the bagel place I go to in the morning they even give out little pieces of paper with numbers and people STILL get confused and take each other's orders

People are used to hearing their own names and even if there are two people with the same name and the same order it's less common than if it's numbers and literally zero people remember what their order number was

what, all of 2 minutes?

>it's easier to waste customer's time writing a name you won't even use down than automatically generating a number

Bullshit. Fucking Church's Chicken uses a number system and their customers are the dumbest in food service.

Probably because black people are used to being referred to by prisoner number

I'm talking about regular people without a criminal record

Also, at the better places lately they just take your name straight off your credit card, no questions asked. It works much better that way

>Probably because black people are used to being referred to by prisoner number

>go to one of these places
>it's a fucking loud house
>they ask me name
"Alex"
>"I'm sorry, did you say "Alec?"
"No, ALEX"
>"ALEX?"
"YEAH"
>go wait for my order
>guy comes out
>"Alec?"
>not me
>nobody steps up after he calls multiple times
>mfw
>force a smile and say it might be mine and go through the process to confirm it's my order
>it is

REEEEEEEE MY NAME IS NOT ALEC YOU DEAF CUNTS

>Lol, is that what autists think?

actually, starbucks did start with the naming thing instead of numbers to create a more personal experience with their customers.

Fat softball right over the plate...... and........................ a HOME RUN!

My wife hates plastic shopping bags, so when I go shopping I usually bring a reusable bag with me. This wouldn't raise eyebrows at upscale places where white people shop, but I tend to buy a bunch of my groceries in Chinatown, where no one does this. The cashiers at my favorite Chinese greengrocer have been calling me "NO BAG" for a couple years now.

>Your name?
>Say that it's John
>It's not actually John but who cares

Wow that sure was hard

This. Are there really people that give their real name? I just choose the name of the protagonist or antagonist in the novel I'm reading at the moment. Wagecuck servants never bat an eye, even if it's a name from 19th century Russian literature.

HAHAHA I knew I wasnt the only one. The chinese market I go to buy stuff, have this old chinese guy who always call me backpack mate, because I always bring my old backpack.

>
>This. Are there really people that give their real name? I just choose the name of the protagonist or antagonist in the novel I'm reading at the moment. Wagecuck servants never bat an eye, even if it's a name from 19th century Russian literature.
Lived in D.C. during the tech boom of the 90's and through 9/11.
EVERY nothern VA/MD/DC restaurant has a maitre'd used to giving tables out to Superman, James Bond, Melville, or whatever stage name people used to protect their anonymity. Government workers, paranoid techies and actual celebrities seem to understand privacy better than anywhere else. If you shop anywhere with a big brother is watching discount perks card, your name is Abraham Lincoln in the grocery computer, or you probably get a new card every week.

Is that you John?

Where is your Chinese store? Mine's on 8th Ave in Brooklyn, NY. I'm guessing if they call you "mate" at yours you're on another continent.

What cross street?

The cashier at the Asian market I shop at calls me "Sweets", because my most frequently bought item is sesame mochi. I'm a 6'2 hairy bastard, so him unknowingly calling me what sounds like an ironic pet name is slightly uncomfortable.

Told my black friend to tell the cite Vietnamese girl at the counter that his name was medang. Which is the equivalent to nigger in Viet talk.

This looks like someone used mspaint to write on the cup.

good work

YOU FIGURE ALL THAT OUT FOR BY YOURSELF!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

WHAT A ROCKET SCIENTIST!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

YOU MUST BE SO PROUD!!!!

If there's half a dozen or more people waiting for their drinks and some people ordered the same shit how do you determine who gets their drink first. Names I assume make it easier.

I like being a Kevin, it's pretty foolproof. I've still had black people mispell my name as Kevon and Keven.

Black people seem to have problems with the "Ke" in Kevin for some reason. I've seen a lot of them pronounce it Keevin, instead of Kevin.

They're pretty fucking stupid as it is, but g'damn, man, fucking up "Kevin"? Seriously?

Do you reckon it's just a big joke that every Starbucks employee is in on? I've never had anyone misspell my name at any other coffee shop, and it happens at every single Starbucks you go to.

>Someone has a unique name
DUUUURRR IS THAT UR REAL NAME HUURRRRR
Fuck all cashiers to hell. I just tell them my name is Joe. Seriously why don't they just use numbers

>my name harry potter

Calm down Alec you tendie eating invertebrates

>someone hears a name they've either never heard before or find interesting
>ask because they might show actual interest in learning the meaning behind said name
>BETTER COMPLAIN ON A BOLIVIAN TARANULA FIGHTING FORUM

I get that some folks absolutely will give you shit for having a different name, but can you really not see past your autism long enough to humor the idea that someone might just be curious because they've heard something new? Also keep in mind that most companies in the vein of Starbucks encourage the use of names because they think it gives their establishments a more personal touch that appeals to consumers despite numbers being infinitely more efficient.

I have a very strange name, and I am always Steve.

I bet you order the tendies

>working security and access control for a government project while in school
>assign all kinds of temp workers access badges and have to log them in
>sign in a dude named Kittyprong Papapriwat one day
>name so fucked up I still remember it

always Steve is a weird name

I could understand getting annoyed if your name is like Jesus or Pradeep or Issa or something cultured like that, some people are just too stupid to be allowed contact with the public

But if your parents named you D'Shawn or Hunter or Tanner or Laquisha, you deserve ridicule. White people and black people give their kids the dumbest names, and for what? No good reason I can think of.

I'm 90% sure they're told to misspell or use less common spellings so people will take a picture of their cup and put it on facebook

I was in the US and just told anyone who asked that my name was Chris because I'm foreign, and it invariably came back Kris at starbuck's

Apparently you bare a resemblance to Kris Kringle.

I always use fake names at cafes.
There was this cafe I used to go to everyday and I used to flirt a bit with one of the girls that worked there and I used to tell her my name was Dane.
One day she served me and my cup of coffee had Dane written on the top of the lid and love hearts drawn all around it, i just gave her a smile and someone serving from the other side of the cafe said "have a good day Kevin." I think I told the other worker my name was Kevin.
When I got to work someone noticed the top of my coffee cup that said Dane on top of it with love hearts all over it and I had a hard time trying to explain that I'm a hetero male.

I did end up dating the girl in the cafe for a while.

Where in Massachusetts do you live?

Most of my mail is delivered to Rusty Shackleford at Dale's Dead Bug.

I ship shoes to people, and I've come across two that I still remember because they're so weird. Michelin Pride and Mairne Bushmole. I still sometimes wonder if they're real.

>the meme becomes reality
A meme by definition is a reality you fucking mong.

POCKET SAND!

You better not be asian making posts like that. Most of you bury your real names under white ones.

t.Tanner

Yeah, that's inline with bear mode guys being called "Tiny". Fucking hilarious.

"Whats your name?"
Jackson

"Chad?"
"Chadson?"
"Jason?"
"Jackston?"

Yeah LaBreeka, my names fucking Jackston..
I just say jack if the cashier isn't white.

You seem upset, Ameriboo.

fuck off chad

So what's your name, faggot?

dongus

>name sir?
>Nigger.
>e-excuse me, sir?
>Nigger. Nigger Sims....it's Dutch.

>People laughing at dumb names like Stephon, Jimothy, Dongus.
>Parents were truckers, and named you after a HAM radio term.

You guys don't know this suffering.

Oh jesus, they named you elmer.

I can only imagine how completely insufferable you are to be around

I fucking wish. They named me after a dumb acronym.

XYL.

Which is CB slang for a woman.

That's dastardly

Dongus is not a fucking real name fuck off

It's a Dutch family name.

I hate these cunts. They're the reason every substitute and every teacher on the first day of school would pronounce Stephen as "stefen" and that smug asshole with a "v" would be vindicated for having his name pronounced correctly without fail.

It's works fine.
Coffee shops are kust a shit show because the drinks are made too slow compared to the rate they're ordered.

How is that pronounced?
Sly?

My parents pronounce it 'Zile'. Like how you'd say the beginning of 'sigh', but with the latter part of 'Nile', as in the river.

My teachers in school used to pronounce it 'Sill', as in a window sill.

I usually ask people to call me by my last name, which is normal, thank fuck.

When I go to any coffeehouse or burger shack, and they ask for a name, I just tell them Rick.
They can't fuck it up
There's rarely anyone named rick
It's super easy to hear/say without bring misunderstood

My really name is Matthias

Whenever a white woman takes my order I'm Kasey
Whenever a white man takes my order I'm K.C.
Whenever a mexican takes my order I'm Queyse.

There is no love for Caseys in this world

Famous for pizza

My name is Richard
I've had Rachael, Rodger, Ralph.....
Now I say 'Dick, with a D' no one fuck that up.

...what?
Even McDonalds uses a numbering system. Fucking MCDONALDS.

>not changing your name to something that isn't dumb as fuck as soon as you come of age

The fuck, user.

nice try phoneposter, but the average backwater cash register worker doesn't know anything beyond their own ghetto/trailer park. They are just judging the shit out of you and basically saying "ur not from around here?" "go back to ur cuntry forner"

t. judgmental douche

That's adorable
>tfw my name's spelling is weird so I never bother telling people how to properly spell my name for orders
Luckily the pronunciations the same, but it's just stupid fucking spelling.

Looks like Tom Brady.

Well, that's obviously Mr. Nigger Sims.

You already admitted that people will give you shit if you have a different name. Why in the fuck should someone suffer those morons just on the off chance the person they are talking to is about to be nice and curious about them like a fucking museum exhibit.

That wasn't me, chief.

same, thanks parents..

That's ONders. ON ON! Not "ANders"
I have a hard ON.

feminine cheese

>tfw everyone here pronounces it with a "v"

Steven even though it is spelled Stephan.

>Sonny, with an 'O'

If I don't specify, it's invariably spelled "Sunny".

I got "Sunni" once. I didn't have the heart to explain it to the melanin-enriched worker.

"Sunnie" was just insulting.

>filename

Do you wear pastel shirts and white suits?

If we're being honest, I wish I could pull it off.

Who doesn't?

Just ignore them. My name is Ryan; if anyone says "Brian" and I take spare time, I'll ignore them, wait 15 minutes, and ask where my food is. They'll usually remake it for you straight away. If they try to give you the old food, demand new food and complain to the management later. Nobody has ever gotten my name wrong twice in a row.

pretty much anyone can "pull it off" if they can afford it. those clothes were very high end.

>were

were, yes. it was 30 years ago, gianni versace's ashes are not going to design you a suit anymore.

Right, but you said anyone "can" pull it off, which is present tense, and then said they "were" very high end, which is past tense.

You sound autistic as fuck