/coffee/

I'm going to do it. I'm gonna fucking do it. We need a /coffee/ general

Try not to shitpost too much.
Coffee blend of choice?
Brewing style?
Personally I really enjoy French roasts and making them in a French press.(I know what a shock) I use the hario skerton and the espro press. It's god tier and easy to clean.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wCGdgX8Cjh4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The other day I bought some starbucks yukon blend and it was the most overburnt disgusting coffee I've ever tasted, bar none.
Really dark oily shit that didn't even have the distinctive brown lushy foam during brewing that i like so much.
I don't even know how they managed to fuck this up, the bag says medium roast.
I went back the next day and exchanged it for some jose's columbian.
The worst part is it doesn't even start off bad until it leaves a disgusting sludgy aftertaste that coats your mouth and doesn't go away!

If there's one good thing about living in Brazil (and south america as a whole) is the quality and variety of coffees you can get.

I have an Aero Press and that's what I use most of the time when not at work.

I buy Piatã (a medium roast from the country side of Brazil). It has a lovely brown color and very dense body, almost no bitterness and high acidity, I love it.

It costs around 4 USD for 250grams.

>$500 grinder

Starbucks French roast mixed with whatever store brand Costco sells, drip brewed. I enjoy the burned beans, Fite me.

>buying Starbucks anything
You're literally wasting your money. Find your nearest hipster coffee shop and buy your beans there.

I don't feel like paying $15 for 8oz of coffee

You get what you pay for user. If you have a Whole Foods or one of its yuppie equivalents, they also have coffee beans for a more reasonable price.

>$15 for 8oz
at my coffee shop we sell 12oz "kona estate" beans for 84 canadian dollars

What's that in real money?

It's like $2 in real American dollaroos.

>every coffee shop i've been to has porcelain coffee dishware behind the counter
>every drink is served in a to-go cup, even the hot drinks

Are those coffee cups just for show?
Why do they do this?

Did you explicitly tell them it's for here? The default is the to go cups since items safer to assume you won't be staying.

I absolutely love this shit. Pretty much everything Taylor's makes is beautiful, except for their darkest roast which always smells slightly fishy for some weird reason. Lazy Sunday is the perfect cozy morning coffee.
Aeropress and french press are my go-to brew methods, although I would love a proper espresso machine one day.

then why are there entire coffee shops full of people having their coffee inside and all of them have paper cups?

don't post these until I've had my coffee

Sorry!

Someone sell me on Chicory coffee

Veeky Forums I've been looking for a high-quality travel mug (18-24 oz) for the past two weeks and can't pick one. I went through the nearby target's selection and had the following issues:

ugly clunky handle
cheap plastic / unaesthetic
ugly top-heavy look (see pic)

The thinner stainless steel ones like the contigo and ello bottles hold my interest but at the mouth opening they have some clickity-clackity plastic spring system for sealing in liquid which will probably fail after a few months of regular use.

any recs for high quality stainless steel travel mugs that don't look like goddamn panzerschreck shrapnel

All day baby

Eight O'clock coffee Central highlands, drip brewed.
Enjoying it with a nice Camel.

Keep your bad breath to yourself, MASSIVE faggot.

costco near me had hawaiian beans for $10/lb
i bought $60 worth

What is a toothbrush?

do you even /altoids/?

Finally a coffee general OP that isn't some cringeworthy cyooot xd anime babbytalk bullshit

The package is nice.

Hi /coffee/, this week I've tried shitty coffee to write why the coffee a buy and make at home is better. When I have some money I'm gonna to some café and try something more expensive and compare to my coffee. I really need to go back to writing my food reviews but college takes too much time. Luckly my vacation starts next month then I'm gonna have a schedule of 8 to 10 hours a day dedicated to food (both practice and theory). I need to read some food biochemistry and focus on savory dishes. Last time I was learning baking but you end up eating too much calories.

During vacation I'm gonna read/write about industrial coffee processing and try to use this as introduction for my conclusion paper next year. I plan to research coffee fermentation.

Taylor's is rubbish

Best I can give you is the swell bottles. They are ugly but work great. They aren't all stainless steel but I bought the one that is and I take it everywhere for everything.

Post your findings

Hooverbrew/10
Chicory is a fucking meme mostly. It will wake you up something fierce, though, just by the heavy flavor alone. I use it for that, since caffeine doesn't always do enough for me.

Every day cup is caribou medium or dark (don't like light unless the beans are pristine) in a pour over. I'm not too much of a coffee snob so that's usually good enough. Also Land of a Thousand Hills is GOAT when it come to coffee shops.

Bought myself a bialetti on recommendation of mocka user who posted a long tutorial a few breads ago. Still trying to figure out how to make my shitty gas stove go low enough to make the process take 12min.

It's what they serve you in jail.

>tfw dialing in my old clever dripper and starting to remember why it got put in the closet in the first place
It's supposed to combine the best of pourover and FP, but it seems to be the worst of both worlds

Why 12? Why does it even matter? You're just boiling water.

>Coffee blend of choice?
Single origin ethiopian or kenyan
>Brewing style?
Aeropress :D

>I really enjoy French roasts
Might as well lick an ashtray

It's an extraction process. You want to use as little volume of solvent as possible for the best extraction. Doing it at low heat for a long time over high heat for a short time will increase the efficiency of your extraction process. Also you run a smaller risk of burning the coffee

Where do y'all get your beans?

I buy my coffee from Indonesia. I've had coffee from nearly every country and Indonesian is my favourite.

But that also heats up the beans. And 90% of the time is getting the water up to temp and building pressure. Should be starting with hot water too, if you aren't already.

God dammit. You guys are clearly repeating memes you've heard. The beans themselves from starbucks packaging are fine, and taste nothing like the store. At the starbucks locations they put pretty much no care into how they actually extract the coffee and burn them there.
Bialetti is top tier. I use mine wherever I go, so I usually use it on electric stovetops. Sorry. I'm sure there is some way for you to figure it out, keep trying.

I'm lazy and buy Lavazza grounds. Arabic tastes the best to me, but I'm not really adventurous so I've only ever tried all of the standard kinds, and then Cafe Bustello which I really didn't like. Pointlessly acrid, in my opinion. To the point where people who "like" it put milk in it. Bah, I don't see the point in adding milk and sugar in coffee if you don't at least try a weaker coffee without the cream. But that's just me I guess.

I don't know how you think water evaporating works, but I can assure all of the water in the lower cup does not evaporate at once. The reason you do it at a low temperature is to make sure there is a small amount of evaporation going on for an extended period of time. Like I said you want a small volume of solvent for the most efficient extraction. I have some mathematical formulas I could write out, but really that seems redundant when google exists.
Yeah I will keep trying it out until I get it right. At the moment it just takes 4 minutes on the smallest plate on the smallest flame to make a 3-cup. I'm going to try make it on the second largest plate with the smallest flame next time, but only expose half of the moka to the flame. I will just keep trying until I find the trick.

Yeah, I plan to improve the quality of coffee threads as I learn. Hope that autist posting the dark secrets of the industry goes away.

Now I'm focusing on finish my exams through june so I have the entire july to play not only with coffee but food too.

Btw having my first sip just now (11:30 AM) where I live and thinking about the bad choices food oriented i had in the past. Now that I'm really involved with this mindset of investing my money in the foods that really matter I'll probably be able to buy more expensive beans to try. Basically I wasted a lot of money in sweets and shitty burgers for too long.
Good that I'm losing weight since I eat clean and only when I hungry. I've turned into a skeleton and I should bulk a bit (because I exercise) but I'll try to lose a bit more to freak my mum and my grandma when I go back home.

Kek, don't know how they make stoves in USA but where I live it is impossible to lower the gas this much.

Brazil since I live in Brazil and we don't have things from other countries. Even decent brazilian coffee is alien to 95% of the population. I'm considered lower middle class by the official classification (aka really really poor) but I'm truly blessed with college food so I can save a bit of money and buy coffee beans. For example:

>1 kg of decent beans
R$ 60
>1 kg of coffee people get in these threads (considered top tier)
R$ 120-160
>1 kg luxury tier coffee (imported)
R$ 200-300

>1 kg shitty pre grounded coffee everyone drinks
>R$ 12

I'm only able to buy coffee beans because a cup costs R$ 0,60 a day to me. I can't buy some luxury tier because I would feel like I'm stealing from my poor mom. Same as eating pizza or burgers. I only eat these after a saving.

I have an amount of money to spend on food per week so I've been creating saving by fasting and saving money to buy burgers and sweets. Now after some thinking I'm gonna stop this shit and save for coffee and buying ingredients to train my cooking skills.
The root of the problem was emotional eating because I'm a very anxiety person but after some thinking I'm cured. My cravings have stopped since I went back to sprinting and focusing on improving performance and learning. Now just a matter of time until I can try new coffee. I'm gonna post as I learn, unluckly no pics since I don't have a camera.

Now I need to go to college but tomorrow I can post more poverty histories and a bit about the coffee market in Brazil if someone is interested in.

>water evaporating

But that's not how it works, it's not shoving steam through the grounds.

how the fuck does it work then? still the phase doesn't matter and my point still stands

Yes

I'm curious

You're rubbish.

Of course the phase matters, steam will be far too hot

the fuck are you talking about m8. I already said I was wrong about the steam

Guy you're responding to references how it's not steam being pushed through the grounds
>the phase doesn't matter

Just correcting you

I put a bit of maple syrup in my coffee the other day.

It was good. You guys should try it.

actual maple or Aunt Jemima shit?

yeah my post implies I accepted that it's not gas and that the phase being liquid instead doesn't change the main point of my original post. I thought typing out 'the' in front of 'phase' would make that clear.

I put a bit of my index finger in my butthole the other day.

It was good. You guys should try it.

Sure, I'm up for it.
Where do you live?

so what you're saying is its a waste of time trying the coffee for Cafe du Monde? It looked interesting but I guess I wont bother

Aunt Jemima does not sell maple syrup.

im aware nigga

We r same person. However I only drink pour over.

can't remember the name since Im at work but I got a bag of coffee during my last trip in Cuba and its pretty good

There was this one time when I got a bag of coffee that was good as well. Real neat stuff

think its this one

Carelessly brewed preground and vacuum sealed discounter coffee until less then a year ago. Then used a moka and for a few weeks now this cheap old machine and a rather light espresso blend from an old local roaster.

anyone here roast their own coffee?
thinking about starting to cut costs, but it seems unlikely I'll get something approximating a nice roast with a stovetop/air popper, and the next tier up seems like it'd eat the profit up

I've been looking into it too and I've seen some pretty good results from air poppers. The trick seems to be constant agitation

>had daily cup
>drank a red bull after because whatever

bad idea

>Coffee blend of choice
Whatever I can get
>Brewing style
Filter into carafe. If I'm feeling really fancy, a liter of coffee mixed with whey powder to start my morning.

>ywn have Coffee Instant: Type I with Steve

I had a vanilla mocha with three shots of espresso the other day. I haven't been that buzzed in a while

>only 3 shots
You are but a babe

They offered one with 6, but I wasn't ready yet

>Not drinking 2+ liters of coffee a day

I usually just split a pot with my roommate

Have fun with your heart palpitations user.

I'm My resting heart rate is slightly below 70BPM, and my heartbeat is perfectly normal.

I'm mostly good now. I wish it was bed time.

Funny thing is, I had 3 cups in a day a few days ago and it didn't feel any different from my usual 1 cup. Red bull doesn't really do anything to me either on it's own. But it was just awful when I mixed them.

Is latte art a meme or an actual indication of a good beverage.

presentation has nothing to do with quality

Pouring frothy milk in a pattern != Pulling a good shot of espresso

It could possibly indicate whoever making it actually gives a shit, though

tea>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>coffee
enjoy your nigger water, coffaggots

last time I had cheap tea, it stained my mug and probably my teeth
cheap coffee never does that

>stained your mug
and coffee doesnt?

I have a bunch of white mugs and they're just as white as when I bought them.

Clean your damn mug.

C O F F E E !
O
F
F
E
E
!

youtube.com/watch?v=wCGdgX8Cjh4

They over roast the bean
t. Starcuck employee

Got a Cuisinart drip coffee machine for simplicity. Set timer, wake up and stumble to pot and already done. Found that I really like Pete's Major Dickinson's blend so any other suggestions? I've never really looked at what I drink until recently.

Just drinking Community out of a regular old percolator right now. Is Splenda bad for you?

I unironically like these.

I bet you would unironically like a noose too

>Peets
You're enjoying the taste of ashes, not coffee. Just buy Bustelo, it's cheaper.

Anyone ever order beans from Fresh Roasted Coffee LLC on Amazon (or direct)?

Cool and... Good.

i love coffee but something happened a couple of months ago

>I wake up with hangover because I went partying the previous night
>Drink coffee as my morning ritual
>Still feeling tired
>have another coffee two hours later
>I start feeling anxious
>like really anxious, as if I was on anphetamines or something.
>Next day is the same, a couple of days later I quit coffee and everything is back to normal.

Did I devoloped a coffee intolerance? This sucks.

>hungover

Pretty sure your endorphin receptors were shot after a night out. This started to happen to me in my 20's. Just switch to a strong tea if you can. Also, in general, after drinking you're more sensitive to most things (light, sound, paranoia, anxiety, depression)