Is there any real reason people buy copper over stainless besides the status aspect?

Is there any real reason people buy copper over stainless besides the status aspect?

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/buy/mauviel-150c2-saucepan-with-lid
youtube.com/watch?v=xGUwDi3k-hY
amazon.com/All-Clad-7112NSR2-Professional-Stainless-Nonstick/dp/B00005AL48
amazon.com/T-fal-Professional-Nonstick-Thermo-Spot-Indicator/dp/B000GWG0T2
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it heats better.

Fair enough I suppose.

But does it really heat better to warrant the extra cost?

Cuisinart stainless steel 8" skillet
>$20

Mauviel copper w/ stainless interior 8" skillet
>$200

Just seems like copper would have to be VERY fucking impressive performance-wise for me to pay that much.

Not really, especially for the home chef

you don't have to buy the most expensive top-of-the-line pan you can find.

That's not even the most expensive.

that's actually Mauviel's cheap line, it's the 150c (1.5mm copper).

Mauviel's "good" line is the 250c (2.5mm copper thickness)

>But does it really heat better to warrant the extra cost?

Depends on your personal situation and budget.

I own a few Demeyere Atlantis pots and pans. They're in this same price range. Expensive? Yes. But I am very satisfied. They cook so much better than cheap cookware, and they will last the rest of my life. For something that I use literally every day I think that's a sound investment.

You can buy quality once, or you can buy cheap shit over and over again.

Of course if you rarely cook then there's really no point...

You can find copper pots and pans at estate sales.They used to be common and inexpensive in like the 50s. Go find an old person who has died recently I'm willing to bet they had some old copper cookware that you can buy.

How much are you willing to bet?

seeing as every time i've got to an estate sale of some 80+ year old dead woman i've been able to find at least 1 copper pan or pot, i'd bet at least 20 bucks

solid

>You can buy quality once, or you can buy cheap shit over and over again.
Fair enough, I suppose I'll look for sales, or estate sale type shit like the other user mentioned.

For the past year i've been cooking my own meals mostly, so I do enough cooking where it should make sense to buy once and be done with it.

There are other good sources to check.

Often times you can find high-end cookware at overstock stores. You can buy B-stock (items with tiny blemishes) at a discount. And there's also the never-ending stream of wedding gifts that get resold on Ebay.

>There are other good sources to check.
I've gotten palm cookware for very cheap at marshall's. home goods owns them so sometimes they get the shit that doesn't sell and you get lucky

Yeah, Marshall's is great for that. I've gotten a lot of All-Clad from them at a fraction of its typical cost.

I got mine for $10. $50 if I bought the whole set.

>got mine
What? Copper? Stainless?

I want to say it's stainless. It's a knockoff of the one in the infomercials, but it works great regardless.

I just realized I was being vague again. Sorry. It's a knockoff of the red copper pan from the infomercials, and I see them all over the place. They have 12'' skillet, a 10'' skillet, a square pan, and something similar to a wok.

Best things I got after my divorced aunt's death 3 years ago. (not joking)

Basically, faster and more even temperature control.

Copper provides the opposite functionality to cast iron. The latter has high mass and high energy density which means that when it gwts hot it holds a LOT of energy. Great for searing and high heat cooking. Copper, on the other hand, is great when you're doing something where precise temperature control and even heat are important- copper gets used a lot for high end pastry work and sauce work for this reason.

Clad stainless steel is kind of the happy medium. Better fine temperature control than cast iron or pure stainless, due to a copper or aluminum core, but better high-temp thermal properties and more durability than copper.

Aesthetics and more even precise temp control.

Copper is very attractive in the right kitchen.

It's the speed of heat transfer and the control of copper that I like so much. Only have 1 small Mauviel copper fry pan but I love it. Think of copper like a Lotus Elise and cast iron as an F-250. They both have their uses but one handles better.

I just use my copper skillet to make eggs and pancakes desu

That's like a shiny new copper jacketed .44 caliber flat-nosed bullet just waiting to be seated into a case.

Fuck, I want a copper pan now.

Copper is a cooler element than iron.

fuck off you idiot. obviously this will vary depending on the individual. not everyone is as fucking desperately poor as you

Alright, lets see your copper collection, timestamp please

Comparing a cuisinart to mauviel is retarded.

I guess this is where OP got the picture from.

Seems like a decent price, I might get this.

you should know your copper if you do this, there is a lot of shit tier copper and copper-coated cookware that people think is worth way more than it's really worth. kind of like buying a used bike where for every diamond in the rough there are ten shitty hybrids with shitty suspension forks that the owner thinks is worth $600

You're just as poor as he is and in denial to boot.
Delicious.

>m'heritage

Yeah, but considering the price I think I can get over the memes.

It doesn't look like Mauviel makes this specific pan anymore, but all the sites online i'm finding are showing $199-249 for the same size, same thickness with a bronze handle. Which is generally less desirable than the Cast Iron handles anyway.

So for $99. I might just do it.

Daddy's gonna need to see that copper collection buddy boy :))) Need to lay my gross eyeballs on that collection! ;)

Not bad price

Status?
They're like $20. No one told you copper prices have been crashing for 6 years? You can strip wires for $1.50 an hour if you want, that shit's not for me.

mauviel pans are miles better than cuisinart
better comparison would be their stainless vs copper line
>10in skillet
copper = $210
stainless = $145
>8in saucepan
copper = $355
stainless = $220
etc etc

but yeah copper is a much more expensive material than stainless in general
probably not worth the extra price performance wise, but if you really like the look and basically the best you can get, then copper is probs what you want

what do you guys think of pans with that stickless finish on them?

>Status?
>They're like $20
find me a good copper pan that isn't at a yard sale for $20.

Veeky Forums has selective willingness to overspend for marginal improvements in end result

We're very willing to blow $20 on a 12oz bottle of 13% ABV beer imported from Liechtenstein or Aomori or some such place as long as it has more IBU than anything else ever recorded, but spending more than $6 on wine is for poseurs who have never heard of that buzzfeed about
"experts" being fooled, wine is a conspiracy to humiliate me.

We're glad to waste $120 a month on terrible tasting fast food, but $120 for a multi course meal makes us violently angry, why would anyone do that, I want it all served to me at once, in a heap, and if you bring that menu near me with the weird foreign words on it I'm going to have a mental breakdown, why is nice food a conspiracy to make me feel dumb?

We're more than happy to spend $40 on a single dry aged prime steak at a good butcher, but spending $40 on top tier fish is YUCKEE BONES AND EYES POO IN LOO OMG WHY CAN'T WE HAVE NORMAL FOOD?

And so it is with cookware, $100 for an autistically rubbed machined finish cast iron pan is totally sensible (I was born in the wrong decade, using the wrong tool for the job makes me a patrician) but $100 for copper is a scam.

Op, that pan is a good pan and that's a pretty decent price, for 8 inches you don't need the 2.5mm thickness, and you may appreciate the better responsiveness of 1.5mm. For a larger pan you should not look at the M150 line since it's too thin.

>For a larger pan you should not look at the M150 line since it's too thin.
My plan (i'm OP) was to get an 8" fry pan and a larger sauce pan (from the 2.5mm line) with lid. I'm almost always cooking for myself, and I have a 12" cast iron skillet if I need something larger than 8".

There's one in local ads here, which I wiped my ass with. Seriously. I ran out of toilet paper.

Oh no...it's retarded AND thinks it's better than everyone else.

I'll get the ad for you later today, it was in a rural king store.

I literally wiped my ass with it dude. It was paper.

Sure you did

It's not online, the papers cycle out tomorrow so I can still get one. See you at noon.

Only if you are anal about the temperature distribution across the vessel, maybe if you want the walls to have roughly the same temperature as the bottom. Otherwise, unless you are cooking on a welding torch and the flame is tiny it literally doesn't matter

Pretty much agree with this. I don't see any kind of dish cooked in a pan that would require copper. And the price increase is definitely not worth it when you factor in fragility and maintenance. They do look cool though.

Now, for pâtisserie, that's a whole other thing. Copper molds or copper pots can make the critical difference when making complex preparation that require a strict temperature control. Sugars and caramels come to.mind, cannelés are another example. In these case I believe it's worth it.

Each of the gas burners on my stove measures 2.3" in diameter. The size of the flame is directly proportional to how high I have the heat on

When I'm cooking two duck breasts in a large pan, copper makes a big difference because it needs to be low heat

Some people just assume everyone else's cooking environment is just like their own. Of course, if you have a high end stove, then heat distribution matters less

I fully expect some autist to misquote Modernist Cuisine now. It's fine, go ahead and argue with yourself. I have to go for a bit but I'll be back later if you want to argue

>see you at noon
>12 hours ago
>posted at 8am

well for one thing you're not supposed to use any metal utensils in the non-stick pans or they will scar irreversibly and the coating is ruined, like the one in your pic

they have good uses, particularly with cooking fish and eggs

not really suitable for extremely high heat cookery

Now that that one ended, they have another one.

Cheapest price elsewhere is $155-190

when you start talking about cost we all know you're poor. If you weren't concerned with money you go for the best option right, copper bottomed pans are objectively better at heat distribution/retention than just steel

You can care about price for performance and not be poor.

definitely true, not the feeling I got from the first few posts though. especially -

well I bought it, so I guess i'm not THAT poor?

clearly you're just a poor person overcompensating due to the pressures of the Veeky Forums community and our intense elitism and exclusionary tendencies

Yes truly that's it. Couldn't be the people who made valid arguments for it's use for fine temperature control and even heating.

>And so it is with cookware, $100 for an autistically rubbed machined finish cast iron pan is totally sensible (I was born in the wrong decade, using the wrong tool for the job makes me a patrician) but $100 for copper is a scam.
Who the hell buys expensive CI. It's aboard favorite because it's cheaper than the steak it'll be use to cook. You were doing well with your analogy until then.

The real reason no one likes copper here is no-one cooks anything delicate enough to need copper and the fact that those who do own it tend to be insufferable about it. Think about it, people post about $500 stand mixers and blenders here all the time and no-one thinks they're selling snake-oil. But copper fags always have to compare it to CI and bring out the charts proving how much better it is to be rich.

The starting point of better heat distribution starts at using a coal fire, not copperware.

I don't think people who buy $500 stand mixers are "selling snake oil". I do think they watched too much youtube. 95% of those things are bought by women so they can do some macarons or NURDY NUMMIES they saw on youtube, and then never touched again.

a pan, on the other hand, is something that gets used every day because pans are for food, not R2-D2 cupcakes.

Stand mixers are only really useful if you bake bread. Although you can definitely make great bread without it. However the fact is $500 mixers are better than $100 mixers by a fair margin. Same with blenders. A $500 blender is far better than a $100 one. But a $200 pan is not that much better than a $40 pan. That's about it really. If $150 is chump change for you or you like the look of copperware then go for it. Otherwise it's not a great investment.

only 11 left

link
massdrop.com/buy/mauviel-150c2-saucepan-with-lid

>a $200 pan is not that much better than a $40 pan
sure, assuming a $10000 stove, for some cooking tasks

the world does not revolve around your particular set of circumstances

>the world does not revolve around your particular set of circumstances
bullshit

There is literally nothing better for the home cook in thick aluminium with a good non stick lining

While I agree a nonstick pan is very useful, it's also useLESS for many common things I cook at home.

You can't sear worth a fuck in it. It can't go under the broiler. It is useless for stir-fries. It's equally useless if you want to make a fond so you can deglaze and make a pan sauce.

This, anyone who thinks any particular pan type is the ONLY thing you should be using is retarded.

Cast Iron, nonstick stainless, copper. All can have their place in the same kitchen.

You sound like you actually know something about cooking. You do not belong on Veeky Forums

Silver is objectively better than copper.

Get buying, unless you're poor. Only a couple thousand a pan.

My bad guys I forgot to get it. Go try your luck at a rural king.

>Only a couple thousand a pan.
Seems like a waste, you can get copper lined with pure silver for ~$800 for an 8.25" skillet.

$1,200 for a 12.5" sautee pan.

A lining isn't as conductive as a fully silver pan. Only the best.

True, but copper is within a hairsbreadth from silver in terms of conducting heat. Especially when compared to aluminum or stainless steel.

I'd take a full 8 or 10 piece set of copper + silver lining for $5-8k over 3 or 4 pieces of pure silver for the same cost.

>useless if you want to make a fond
you mean secs and yes you can. Look at the sear on this.
But of course it's raymond blanc and knows how to cook.

youtube.com/watch?v=xGUwDi3k-hY

Yeah but he's using professional nonstick. The shit that will still run you $100+ for a 12" skillet.

amazon.com/All-Clad-7112NSR2-Professional-Stainless-Nonstick/dp/B00005AL48

He's not using some $20-30 piece of shit nonstick like most people on Veeky Forums have.

The pans look nothing like all-clad. Why did you post a link to all-clad?

Where do you see a fond in that video?

That's simply an example of they type of pan he would be using.

This is an example of they type of nonstick 90% of people on here have when they talk about their nonstick pan

amazon.com/T-fal-Professional-Nonstick-Thermo-Spot-Indicator/dp/B000GWG0T2

>you can't sear on nonstick
sure you can
it's not ideal but if you think it's hard let alone impossible you are probably not a very experienced cook

A-are you a reloader?

Rate how clean your reloading bench versus your countertop

the jus. Water comes in clear. Has the color of gravy when it comes out. he said he deglazed the pan he even says "lifts the sucs" Unless you don't think Raymond Blanc knows what he is doing....

And once again. In french it's sucs not fond. Fond is what is made from sucs. Only dumb Americans calls sucs "fond".

Yuuup, he very obviously is not using some piece of shit nonstick you got at the grocery store for $20.

There's nothing special about that pan. He doesn't even use high heat. He's cooking in butter.

Shut the fuck up moron faggot.

He's using multilayer copper or aluminum core stainless outside with a nonstick lining.

That's a FAR cry from a $20 T-FAL or similar nonstick.

The multilayer sandwich will heat MUCH more evenly and not leave you with hot/cold spots in your pan whereas the cheaper one will, unless you're using a very nice oven that can make up for the shitty pan's heat distribution.
I own a $150 nonstick 5 layer from Viking, shit is hands down easier to brown things in than my T-FAL.

I assume you've either never used an expensive nonstick, or you simply watched youtube cooking videos and inferred more than was actually said.

>He's using multilayer copper or aluminum core stainless outside with a nonstick lining.
No he isn't faglord!

Learn to cook. That wouldn't do anything since he isn't constantly adjusting heat. HE IS COOKING IN FUCKING BUTTER!

HE STILL HAS TO HEAT UP THE FUCKING PAN

I can promise you with 100% certainty, his pans were $100+ each in that video.

>I can promise you with 100% certainty,
Oh well since you promised....Fucking idiot.

Heat up the pan hot so it can burn the butter, genius fucking retard. learn to cook. Understand the difference between whole butter and clarified butter. Understand the difference between butter having milk solids and not. That will make you a better cook than worrying about pan material.

Read more, post less.

I'm enjoying the fact you wont deny that what I'm saying is the truth.

He was not using the same shitty nonstick pan you're using, and you pretending you can cook just like him because he was using nonstick too!!! is just laughable, I am literally laughing at you out loud. Thank you.

>you need 5 ply to melt butter

LMAO. The state of Veeky Forums ladies and gents.

Who the fuck is saying you NEED it?

Fucking no one, what you do NEED it for, is good even heat distribution in a nonstick pan for searing meat well.

Also look at this shit, bronze fucking rivets in the pan, this shit ain't no $20 nonstick pan.

>even heat distribution in a nonstick pan for searing meat well.

which comes from the qualities of thicc aluminium
You can melt butter in a non-stick aliuminium pan.

You don't need fucking 5 ply, you dolt.

I'm not saying you NEED 5 ply, i'm simply saying it ISN'T some piece of shit nonstick.

I simply was saying it's far from the bottom of the barrel pan 90% of people are using.
Here is my first post
>Yuuup, he very obviously is not using some piece of shit nonstick you got at the grocery store for $20.

BAM, fact. He isn't using a piece of shit. I never said it was 5-ply, I never said it was 3-ply, I never said shit besides it was a better quality nonstick than most people have. I dont give a fuck if it's pure silver with a nonstick lining.

The only time I mentioned 5 layer was when i mentioned my own personal Viking, I never said that's what he had or what was REQUIRED.

Just fucking kys.

>aluminium pans can't melt butter

If you had two brain cells to stick together you'd realize this thread is about pan materials. Whether it is a 5ply pan or thicc aluminium you'd at least know both can MELT FUCKING BUTTER. Again, learn what fucking milk solids are before posting. If you can't sear a steak and develop sucs in a non-stick pan then you suck ass at cooking and shouldn't post.

I never said it CAN'T be done, but the video you posted WASN'T an example of that if that's what you're claiming.

Can it be done in a cheap non stick? Sure probably requiring a decent gas hob or you to pay the fuck attention to your pans temp before putting your meat in. So either you have a really good range or you pay the fuck attention.

The video posted however does not display this.

Jesus, are you fucking dense?
Nowhere was cost an issue until some retard brought it up. I can assure you, you can do the same thing in that fucking video with a $30 dollar vollrath aluminium non-stick without anymore fucking effort than he put in it. (once again he made fucking browned butter and laid a steak in the pan, not fucking hard) If you can't then hang up your fucking apron. None of you fucks even know what pan he IS fucking using. I'm seriously laughing at all the retards who can't saute a steak and blame it on nonstick. It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

>It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools
It's a poor craftsmen who uses the wrong tool for the job to be honest with you.

>wrong tool
The only tool here is you and you inability to cook. The claim that you can't sear a steak in non-stick is bogus. The claim that you can't develop sucs in a non-stick is bogus. These bogus claims are made by people who can't cook.