Ice Cream

Made this thread a while ago but reposting and updating progress.

So far I have made 3 flavors, Mint Chip with chopped Ande's, Chocolate malt, and Blueberry with Lemon Curd Swirl.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=J8t74XMziP8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Mint Chip

Chocolate Malt (personal fav)

Blueberry Lemon Curd (didn't expect it to be that good, but it was really refreshing)

As a chef you always find a reason to double up a recipe and this was no exception. A double batch of the base I use yield 6 pints per flavor. Since I couldn't eat it all, i took it to a party and had a little ice cream social.

OP here. Next flavors I'm thinking of are Lemon with Strawberries and Bourbon Brown Sugar. Any suggestions on what flavors you might like?

So many questions lol

Is this hard to make? Is it expensive? Does it taste like regular ice cream? I love ice cream and i eat it all the time now that it's getting warm.

Great thread OP, hope to see more of your creations

Try for something in the Amaretto/Almond/Dr. Pepper realm

Dandelion or carrot.

McChicken

Bananas Foster.

Then put the Bananas Foster ice cream on Bananas Foster.

OP here
1) relatively easy to make. You can use a machine or a mixer and dry ice. I prefer the mixer because i can make 4 quarts and its only $30 US. Two downsides to the maker: its noisy and the drum is think aluminum and the company doesn't sell it separately. But as long as you are careful with it and let it churn in another room, its an amazing investment.
2) if you buy in bulk like i did no, each pint calculated to $1.63, $2.00 if you include the pint containers I bought to store the ice cream in.
3) It tastes better than any store-bought brand and its fresh.

Thanks for the compliments. Im gonna experiment with sorbets since summer is coming soon.

Lavender. You can pair this with honey and/or lemon.

OP here, you sir are a brilliant. Thank you.

Today, OP was a pretty cool guy. Thanks OP.

Cookie dough with a salted caramel swirl would be sugoi

fig and cinnamon

A Ben and jerrys half baked is in the works, but bananas foster, lemon with strawberry swirl, and coffee are the front runners so far. What should I add in the coffee?

That one does sound tempting and really good.

>cool guy
ayy

A hint of butter

Small chocolate pieces would be pretty good in coffee ice cream, I think. Maybe a little touch of cinnamon to it if you wanted to get exotic with it.

>ayy
:3

How do you store your ice cream so that it doesn't turn to stone? When I put mine in a container and freeze it always ends up as a 1 liter popsicle.

As long as this thread is here - does anyone know a good recipe for coffee ice cream that doesn't use coffee/espresso powder?

bump

WTF is ice cream salt?

Mint with coconut chunks
Maple chip with almonds
Coconut, red bean, and ube (Southeast Asian neapolitan)
Honey with sesame seeds

>Lemon Curd Swirl

hol' up.

hol' the FUCK up.

you're telling me you have lemon curd where you are? i feel like you're not a brit, how the fuck do you even know what lemon curd is? any time ive ever tried to tell people about it they act like im a lunatic.

also, fuck, give me that blueberry shit. never tried 'em before.

It's pretty common in the US you probably are just talking to retards.

Remember when someone seems impossibly out of touch or stupid, you could just be talking to a child.

Then remember that you spend all this time on a website arguing with children pretending to be adults.

Then feel ashamed and tell yourself you won't come here anymore.

Then come back anyway.

The secret is to never reply to bait or retarded posts since its a child or someone "ironically" being retarded.

You could try adding egg yolks to the mixture prior to putting everything in a ice cream mixer. The yolk acts as an emulsifier, and that binds water and fat together for a creamier texture.

It's also known as "rock salt". Regular table salt typically undergoes a refinement process where certain chemical agents are added and impurities get removed. To my knowledge, rock salt doesn't get the same treatment.

hovv 2 maek ais kreem??

really? weird. i was always under the impression it was a british thing.

thanks, I'll try that

OP here. California resident here. Been making lemon curd from scratch since I was 12, but Alton Brown's recipe is by far the best and tastiest with the smallest amount of ingredients. I cut back on the sugar, but thats me.

Thanks OP, might just have to try this. Can't wait to see your sorbets

I don't care if this sounds fat... i tend to eat it all before it gets too rocky

Ice cream man(not op, shop owner) here again, ask me anything
To figure this out posting your recipe would be helpful.
There really isn't another way to get coffee ice cream that doesn't add a bunch of water (brewed coffee) or is using artificial flavorings outside of using freeze dried coffee/espresso granules.

Adding a bunch of water to ice cream sounds like a terrible idea.

Seems like you could work something out involving ground beans and hot cream.

Well like I said your best bet is freeze dried coffee, just find a brand you like and roll with it. Personal batches I do 1-1.5 tbsp of granules per quart.

OP here, I use the Chefsteps recipe for frozen custard with one tweak, I used Half n Half instead of whole milk. And I agree, the best way to get the coffee flavor you want in coffee ice cream is to use coffee crystals.

there's a couple things i do, not op though. it's all about freezing point depression thru ingredients

1.) splash of liquor, make sure it's something good for the flavor of your ice cream
2.) more egg yolks in your custard, more heavy cream, maybe some butter depending on the flavor (like birthday cake, butter pecan, etc). fats freeze less icy and are easier to scoop.
3.) special types of sugar. most people don't have them but invert sugar syrup, agave nectar, sugar alchohols, all increase the freezing point a bit. more sugar in general helps.
4.) like, agar agar or carageenan i guess, but gross and unnecessary

alternatively, let it sit out for a few mins before eating it

>What should I add in the coffee?
Chocolate covered espresso beans (smashed into bits)

>Irish cream
>Maple or honey
>Maybe something with a subtle spiciness

It's fine :) as long as you share with others
I usually make a mixture with of condensed milk, sugar and whichever berries grow I find in the garden that time of the year (blackcurrants, strawberries, raspberries)
Thanks! I'll definitely try these tips the next time I'll get access to the machine (in uni abroad currently)

woah, that's quite alot of spaghetti

mixture with* condensed milk
whichever berries grow in the garden*

Sounds like you need more fat in your mix also whenever you add fresh fruit you're adding a ton of water to your ice cream, toss the fruit in sugar then roast it off before hand to get some moisture out of it and to concentrate the sugars which will keep your fruit from turning into ice chunks.

Im also interested in making Ice creams infused with THC/CBD, my mom suffers from fibromyalgia and the edible she buys taste like garbage. I've been thinking of cooking the custard with marijuana then straining, then continue the process as usual and make an edible my mom can enjoy. Thoughts on flavors for infused, OP?

youtube.com/watch?v=J8t74XMziP8