Best poach eggs?

Hello

How in the fuck do i get my poached eggs to look like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/1093/what-can-you-do-with-an-infrared-thermometer
blog2.thermoworks.com/2012/03/infrared-thermometry/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

boil your eggs in plastic bags.

the BPA that leeches out really adds to the flavor. shame about the manboobs though.

I managed pretty decent shapes once but I don't know what I did differently

Rolling boil, make a whirlpool, crack the egg. How do you even fuck it up?

A deep pot. The deeper the better. As the egg sinks to the bottom the white will envelope the yolk.

pro kitchens will just put eggs in a sous vide machine and crack them when needed for service

the classic method is to boil water, turn it down to a simmer, add some vinegar (keeps albumin together), crack egg first into a bowl, then dip the corner of the bowl into the water to pour the egg gently in. This shit is too labor intensive per egg though, hence the sous vide method

so that's what the vinegar is for in some tutorial videos

Wrap them in cling film

No

Use fresh eggs. That's the only trick. Get them from the farmers market and poach them within a couple days.

You can strain away the "loose" whites, or just cut off the messy bits after it's cooked. Fresh eggs will not have many loose bits.

Use sub-boiling water. Boil it just barely and then back the heat off until the water is still.

they look like nutsacks

Get one of these

yeah, the acid helps coagulate the whites. i just plop a cut and squeezed lemon in my water

>add some vinegar (keeps albumin together)
This is bullshit and does nothing but give the eggs a hint of nasty vinegar taste.

You fucking retards that have never poached an egg in your lives have GOT TO STOP telling people to do this shit.

Simmer water, not boil. if it boils you will break the egg. add acid. it helps the egg for when it hits the water. Be gentle. Dont fuck with it then be gentle when its ready. go as long as you see fit, Id go no longer than 2 min

do you usually do it before you boil or in the middle of boiling and spinning the water?

I don't really fuck with spinning the water. and I do it before. and please dont boil. just let it simmer

Yeah, even though it's a uni tasker it makes damn good poached eggs

OP's eggs look glad-wrapped to me.

OK. so. as a test i took 2 eggs. I cracked one into a small shallow bowl of water very gently. The other i cracked very gently into an identical small shallow bowl of undiluted white vinegar.

There was a HUGE difference.

Then I poached both, the water egg first to not make the water acidic, then the vinegar one. I did both by gently pouring the shallow bowl into the shallow pan of 185 degree water.

There was a large difference, but this was using straight vinegar and testing the effect on the albumin.

The vinegar egg was inedible after this test.

Tomorrow I will try two different pans. One with just water and the other with a tablespoon of vinegar to see if there is a similar difference when the vinegar is watered down.

I took pictures, but my phone died and it is time for me to go to bed..

I will try to post pictures tomorrow. The difference was surprising.

The vinegar made the albumin tighten up and as a result the egg was more round. The water egg laid more flat.

The water egg was the only one that was edible though. It will be interesting to see if the diluted vinegar will have the same tightening and rounding effect, while not affecting taste.

The pictures in OP look like they were cooked in vinegar to produce the tightening and rounding up.

Made this igmage time earlier for eg cooking thread
Man there was not happy, to much stress?
Maybe like more here
Havd to post phone soryy

Why not cook in its shell? Faster and easier

>uni tasker

so probably b8 post but you know you can remove the egg-poaching insert, right? and then use it like any other saucepan until you feel like poaching eggs again?

For themse that canot do with picmage, here is instruct

eg
wet in pot
wet in pot make pot watter, this is normal
make wet hot and bubble
do nOT touch. hurt
when hot and bubble, swirl. i use stab tool since then can do next step easy
now is time to break eg. sad yes, but necsary. cry is fine, pretend chop union
turn of hot under pot. eg in swirl pot

INPORTANT leave alone now

2 minute take eg out. use spoon with hole

Change the pH of the water

my new favorite thing

Gay guy here. Ballsack poached eggs are GOAT, especially with sausage and some ranch dressing

Alright awake, and phone charged back up.

Here is what an egg cracked into water looks like.

And here is what an egg cracked into pure white vinegar looks like.

As the water egg sat for a couple minutes, no visual difference was observed. As the vinegar egg sat the albumen started to turn translucent/milky.

Keep in mind, both eggs and liquid were room temp or colder.

Water egg in. Egg sank to bottom and laid flat. A lot of loose egg white scattered in the water.

I cooked and removed the water egg. Then added the vinegar egg. This egg was more round shaped, did not create a lot of loose whites, and my assumption is that the egg whites are all contained in a pouch of albumin which was already chemically cooked by the vinegar, and that the egg never wanted to mix as freely with the vinegar. In fact, they may even repel each other a little?

This is a picture of the vinegar egg cooking. The loose bits are from first egg.

Here are the cooked eggs. Water on left, vinegar on right. You can see that the vinegar egg looks more round and tightened up, while the water egg laid more flat.

The vinegar captured all the small loose bits and gives the egg on the right a membraned look, while the egg on the left is just the central solidish albumen that was left after the loose parts washed out in the water.

Here is the underside of both incase people were interested.

Now to try cooking in water and heavily diluted vinegar to see I there is a difference. Clearly eggs in pure vinegar behave differently than eggs in water.

thanks for this research user.

I've always been curious if the vinegar did anything.

Here is the setup while the water comes up to temp. Two pots, both filled with about 2 inches of water. Front/left/slightly larger pot has 1 tablespoon of vinegar.

Doh. Forgot pic.

Crack an egg into coffee cup. Swirl boiling water seasoned with vinegar, drop the egg in well in centre, lower the heat so it doesn't boil violently. Set timer. Done

I've never successfully poached an egg before but i did see a video the other day where they put a fine mesh strainer into the water and cracked the egg directly into that, let it sit for a few seconds, and then gently poured it out of the strainer. I'm gonna try it that way next time

y sad face when crack eg?

I've done this and it keeps the water a little cleaner because the loose whites fall through. Imo, after this testing, you'll see why I dont recommend you bother with it...

So here we have some first results. Both water baths at 190 F by handheld infrared thermometer.

Eggs in. You can immediately see the vinegar solution has almost the Sam effect as the straight vinegar solution had previously.

Frankly, I was shocked to see such a difference.

Why dirty a coffee cup you idiot

>handheld infrared thermometor

ffs, get the water with a splash of vinegar to a rolling boil, drop the egg in, turn the heatto low, wait until its the consistency you want. its that simple.

This is after agitating both eggs gently to get them to lift off the bottom after a half minute or so.

The vinegar solution is really holding that egg together... Its amazing how much cleaner it is.

I wouldn't usually bother, but I keep the irt right next to my stove and this process is meant to be scientific. I wanted to make sure both baths were same temp.

Here are the resulting eggs. I did not swirl either. The vinegar egg is again on the left. It is amazing the difference that just a tablespoon of vinegar makes...

Even though there could easily be a temperature difference since the left bowl has a bigger surface area underneath touching the flame (you should control for this by using a thermometer), a more acidic solution will denaturate the proteins (the hydrogen bonds/disulfide bridges) of the egg faster. It will therefore stick together more, and not spread out as much.

And here are the pots after cooking 1 egg in each. I was able to skim a little bit of whites out of the vinegar pot, the whites are so thoroughly mixed in with the plain water pot that you would have to filter it to get it clean again.

are you autistic? genuinely curious. idk why anyone would use such a 'scientific' method to find the perfect poached egg, let alone upload 1.5mb photographs on a malaysian fingerpainting forum.

Taste. I smelled a slight vinegar odor while cooking, and have been served vinegar tasting poached eggs at restaurants before, so I was a little concerned. However, at 1 Tablespoon per small pot there was no taste of vinegar. Though, both were cooked for same time and temp, it is interesting to note that the vinegar egg stood up on its own after cutting, and had a slightly more firm texture.

>it is interesting to note that the vinegar egg stood up on its own after cutting, and had a slightly more firm texture.

This is most likely due to extra heat denaturation affecting the insides of the egg. The lower pH cannot account for this. It's likely that the bigger container had hotter water. You should control for this. Did you measure the temperature correctly using the infrared thermometer? They can't "scan" the water surface accurately, but requires heating an object up in the water that is later scanned.

>bullying good OC
Lol faggot

see

>IR thermometers work rather poorly when measuring the temperature of hot water, however! Rather than measuring the temperature of the water surface, which is usually similar to the mass of the water due to convection, it measures the average temperature of the water vapor coming off the surface!.

cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/1093/what-can-you-do-with-an-infrared-thermometer

and

>Substances with very low emissivity ratings, like highly-polished metals, tend to be very reflective of ambient infrared energy and less effective at emitting their own electromagnetic waves. If you were to point an infrared thermometer with fixed emissivity at the side of a stainless steel pot filled with boiling water, for example, you might get a reading closer to 100°F (38°C) than 212°F (100°C). That’s because the shiny metal is better at reflecting the ambient radiation of the room than it is at emitting its own infrared radiation.

blog2.thermoworks.com/2012/03/infrared-thermometry/

I'm doing this to educate myself (and you heathens) on the effects of vinegar additives in water baths at preboiling temperatures on fowl egg proteins during generally accepted western food culture poaching processes.

Its simple and straight forward and I don't see what is autistic about it.

This was all so grand that I decided to try the swirl technique in vinegar and pic rel is what resulted. Not much of a difference really. The eggs seems slightly more round, and because a little loose white did separate this time, it may have a slightly cleaner look to it. This is subjective though.

>complaining about some doing proper food research for us and providing useful information for once

get the fuck out

I suggest that the protein effects could account for it. The texture of the very outer edge was stiffer, maybe even a little chalky. If the proteins were to tighten up and round over the egg, it might cook more evenly, and the tightening of the proteins could result in structural rigidity.

I believe this to be more likely than a tiny temp difference in water due to ir thermometer variance on translucent cooking fluids.

>good
hownu.ru

I don't know but if I had an egg that looks like fresh mozzarella and didn't know about it beforehand I'd be very pissed.

you could have just said "yes" and saved yourself the bandwidth.

It's no sweet sundae ramen, but it's decent.

>maybe even a little chalky

This may require more research... Another time...

The aesthetic of the vinegar egg is more appealing to me. Though I do not detect a taste difference, the vinegar may have affected the texture. The pure water egg was very smooth, like a soft boiled egg. I believe the vinegar solution may have created a slight chalkiness to the outer skin.

It may be worth more people replicating these tests and trying to decide for themselves what they believe to be the best outcome. For me, its the vinegar solution poached egg. The best poached egg. The aesthetic and clean cooking, offset the possible, very slight, chalky texture.

add vinegar to boiling water; stir boiling water in a circle to create a centripetal force before cracking and dropping the egg in.

>malaysian fingerpainting forum.

You don't know anything about this website!

This website may be a great many things, but it does not host a Malaysian finger painting forum!

An icelandic underwater basket weaving index, a forum for cavern painting based out of queens, an archive of north korea's god leader's throughts... sure.... But a fucking malaysian finger painting forum? come on. get. fucking. real.

i will fite u irl

>centripetal

Once the material is placed in a rotational perspective, the vectors and forces assigned/experienced would be centrifugal, but you still didn't mean that either because what is really at work here is differing densities and the conservation of angular momentum that a rotational current exerts on objects in a fluid.

This is known as the tea-leaf paradox, a gyre, or an anti-centrifuge. The last indicating why the term "centrifugal" would be more apropos, but still inadequate for the discussion at hand.

Honestly, you gotta get fresher eggs. Or crack your eggs into a colander first and let the looser whites drain off. I've never had an issue getting my fresh organic hippie bullshit eggs to come out perfect, they just do

neat thanks

Get the fuck off my atlantian vegan recipe research society.

>atlantian vegan recipe research society.
I think you are mistaking this place for your Friday book club.

are you that guy who makes shitty ramen

No. Wrap them in cling film

Stop Reddit spacing, you can't space after one sentence.

Fuck you, user does what he wants.

Get

Rekt

You've got to go back.

go choke

You need to post OC or lurk most.

We're doing science over here, you retard. He's being good about controlling the temperatures.

This made me laugh really hard for no reason. I love this. Its like a guy stands up from a crowd at a lecture and shouts at the top of his lungs at a random guy halfway across the room "HEY, ARE YOU THE MAN THAT IS ONLY IDENTIFIABLE BY HIS INABILITY TO DO SOMETHING QUITE SPECIFIC JUDGED AGAINST ARBITRARY STANDARDS THAT EXIST IN MY MIND?" I'm going to a boxing match on Friday, i'm going to do this there and confuse some strangers.

ok Reddit

Good job user. Upvote for testing with images.

holy reddit

R&D Fag here.

I'm not seeing any time/temp comparisons. It's important for an experiment like this that you take great care to make sure that conditions are the same for both the experiment group (vinegar egg) and control group (water egg).

For all we know, any difference displayed was because one egg was cooked for a longer/shorter time at a higher/lower temperature.

I I personally feel that eggs are overrated (and hence don't eat them much) but very informative posts nonetheless.

Not if you don't want butt cancer

This is without a doubt the most Reddit tier post I've seen all day.

Eggs were cooked for the same time and temp. The photos taken immediately after the egg was dropped in both shows the differing behavior.

It is obvious that vinegar has an effect on the egg whites.

I strongly recommend that others should replicate the experiment and corroborate the results. The whole experiment probably costs 73 cents.

Stick to r/Veeky Forums buddy

U gon go to hel

But kek

It's called paragraphs and writing in prose. You should take an English class when you hit High School and you'll understand.

Why do you want your eggs to look like testicles?

>Hello and welcome to Running on Empty fOOOOoooooOOOOD Review!

you dont use a rolling boil you fucking idiot. You use a bare simmer. You dont even really need to make a whirlpool, you can move the water slightly.

I imagine you in your filthy kitchen with your shitty pan exploding with boiling water while you spin it with a shallow metal tablespoon at full speed splashing water all over your flip flop wearing exposed toes and moms shitty electric element stove. FUCK YOU.

Paragraphs are indented not line spaced you retard, Reddit apologist.

Listen sweetie, if he wanted to cook like Gordon Ramsay, he would, but he clearly wants to be like Heston Blumenthal. That's why he's doing "food science".

What did your mom think? Is she impressed by your attempt at acting like a grown-up? :^)

confirmed for having never made poached eggs

Tho is a stylistic element, left to the author. If you'll check out the internet, or business communications, or read a fucking book, you'll see that its entirely out of style.

Stop trying to defend your shit tier, cancerous, bullshit. You just make your kind look even worse with each post. Take the advice from earlier in the thread.

LURK
U
R
K

My mom doesn't browse Veeky Forums, and she is a religious bigot that is staunchly anti-science. I probably won't mention this to her next time she comes over to baby sit.

Thanks for letting us know how jealous of the kitchen you are tho. Stay rekt, hon.

Fyi, I'll be documenting (through imagery) the strainer process and results when using a 1 Tablespoon vinegar in water solution.

For science, we'll be fucking up and foregoing our controls. Two eggs instead of one, no water bath. I will not be using a swirl technique. Water temp 195 on introduction of proteins.

Vinegar added, 195 F achieved, eggs strained and introduced.

The vinegar egg white is taking color because the acid is beginning to cook the egg now. Nice control test to show how it all works

This is after agitation to free them from the bottom, about 45 seconds in.

Observation... They have less loose whites as expected, vinegar still seems to provide a tightening of the skin and a taller, rounder appearance, instead of laying flat.