Porridge

I'm experimenting with oatmeal to see what goes well with it. In addition to the oats and milk, I've had great success including;
>Banana
>Blueberries
>Egg
>Whey power
>Cinnamon
>Nutmeg
What else works well in your opinion?

Other urls found in this thread:

aryanism.net/culture/aesthetics/food/
chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/03/15/cookie-dough-baked-oatmeal/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Nuts.

Thiny sliced almonds, minced walnuts or pecans.

Mix in 1 - 2 egg yolks and 2 - 3 tablespoons brown sugar while the oatmeal cooks, then at the end add a little butter and vanilla extract. Very tasty.

Buy instant oatmeal and replace hot water or milk with coffee.

Granola

Oh yeah, I'll try this one tomorrow. Might toast them a bit as well.
Never thought of including vanilla extract, will also try this.
Coffee sounds interesting, will try that on the third day.

A little chilli oil.

also give peanut butter a try

when I used to eat oatmeal, I would put this rousong/thit cha bon stuff on it.
its pretty much dried pork shavings

take a small bit of it and microwave for like 15 seconds (careful its easy to burn since its already dry), the microwave makes it crunchy

Depends on what you're wanting user. If you're trying to be Veeky Forums, then go with some strawberries, 1 teaspoon of organic honey, low fat milk. It's always turned out relatively good for me. Sometimes I'll change up the fruit though. I love how bananas taste in this dish.

Whey and egg...gross.

Try chia seeds. They're a great source of protein and fatty acids and they're the perfect texture for oatmeal.
Also maple syrup is a must IMO.
Peaches are also good in oatmeal.

Strawberries, pineapple chunks, cranberries

Applesauce
Peanut butter
Instant pudding mix
Chocolate chips

peanut butter and honey is a pretty tasty combo

I like just a spoon of banana jam (homemade) + cinnamon. This way it doesnt get too sweet and you still can taste the oats. Sometimes I make pumpkin jam that goes well too.

One thing I tried but hated in oatmeal is peanuts.

try a few spoonfuls of yogurt and then throw it in the refrigerator for an hour and then top with fruits/honey/whatever

A spoon of Nutella and mix it around. Tastes really good,your own chocolate hazelnut oatmeal.

Maple syrup

Just put some pear in it before you start cooking it so it gets all mushy and mixes well.

It sounds bizarre but add finely grated carrot, raisins, nutmeg and cinnamon into it as it cooks, and some muscovado sugar for sweetness if you need it. Tastes like carrot cake.

Raisins - clearly, they rehydrate in the milk to become succulent and delicious

Malted drink powder like horlicks or ovaltine. Wonders wonderfully well with oats.

Caramel flavour essence. More for smell than anything, but it makes a big difference.

Diced apple is nice if you can be bothered.

A little honey on top, of course, and don't forget the salt.

I'll sometimes add leftovers from the previous night's dinner into oats. It makes for a really simple savory breakfast and I'm surprised that more people haven't experimented with it.

Pulled pork is probably my favorite savory add-in so far, but even salt and pepper with a fried egg works well.

Good suggestions all round. Like others said, flavour essences such as vanilla, caramel and peppermint work nicely.

I used to make my stepson oatmeal with applesauce and cinnamon. He loved it.

I do some combination of PB2 (powdered peanut butter), nutmeg, cinnamon, and whatever frozen fruit I have. I also have this salad topping bs that's just dried cherries and walnuts that I think I'll try next time.

How does the pudding mix taste? How much do you add?

Banana jam and pumpkin jam sound interesting. Is the consistency like other jams?

I like using those fancy imported oats.

Peanut butter makes it delicious and rich, and a handful of blueberries is nice too

OH YEAH! PORRIDGE!

try this

Mint extract, cacao nibs, and coconut meat

Azuki beans and maple syrup

Apples, maple syrup, and cinnamon

Honey and almonds

Raw cacao powder, honey or maple syrup, vanilla extract, and walnuts

Condensed milk, bananas, and strawberries

Butter, maple syrup, and pecans

Figs, cacao nibs, and vanilla extract

Have you considered eating it plain? It's actually really good, before I thought it was unthinkable to not add sweetness.

aryanism.net/culture/aesthetics/food/

Eating it plain is likely what prompted Op to create the thread.

It's true, I do enjoy it plain. I have it everyday though so I'm just looking for more options to vary it up.

In that case I'd try mashing a ripe banana into it, tastes really good.

add sliced onion, meat, consomme
savory one

Is toasting your oats also considered to be a jewish attack against muh german heritage?

>How does the pudding mix taste? How much do you add?
It's really good, because there's so many different flavors you can do endless things with it (chocolate or banana cream mix with peanut butter, cheesecake with fresh berries etc)
I use about 1/4 of a packet per bowl and mix together the oats, pudding, and a little more water than usual to incorporate it, then microwave. This technique also works with hot cocoa packets, put some peanut butter in that shit after it cooks and you're eating a giant no-bake cookie for breakfast

apples + cinnamon
almond slivers

I like this pudding idea, good way to get a real creamy texture without lots of fat.

Milk
Maple syrup
Brown sugar
Walnuts
Almonds

I eat oats usually after a morning run so I overkill on the sugar

Just a little salt, and some greek yogurt. Bland is an entirely underrated flavor. The touch of salt brings out the oats' flavor, while the yogurt gives it a bit of tang and compliments the texture.

Cheddar oats with some diced apple.

Almond / rice milk
2 scoops double chocolate whey
one banana
peanut butter
100 g oats
mix it and put into the fridge for at least one hour
best post workout meal ever

Bonus Question: How THICC do you like your oatmeal?

Holy shit, all at once? Now that's what I call bulking.

make oatmeal with 1:1 water and milk
when it's done, throw some butter on top and let it melt
add frozen blueberries
heaven

This may sound gross as fuck at first, but I swear it isn't that bad and works miracles.

Get plain oats that have no seasoning, add chicken or beef broth, and add more than needed to cook the oats so that it is soupy instead of thick. Then add just a little bit of very lean hamburger and cook it with the soup.

It's pretty good, plus it's good for hangovers and the flu when it's hard to keep stuff down. Beef is pretty easy to keep down, and there have been a few times where sipping broth with just a little bit of oats in it helped me get through some nasty flus.

Im trying to loose weight so I usually use a bit of vanilla and stevia extract + some random fruit i have in the house.

Keeps me almost satisfied till dinner. Good way to save some calories.

So turmeric porridge is a thing. Anyone tried this? Looks pretty at the very least.

Goes good with vegemite and cheese and a bit of mustard and tomato sauce

You beat me to it! Also, butter or cream on top. Butter if using nuts and sugar, cream if using berries (with or without nuts also).

Instant isn't as healthy. It digests too quickly compared to steel cut. Even better, whole groats. The texture is fantastic.

You just reminded me - flax seed! Ground or whole, it's great with oats.

chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/03/15/cookie-dough-baked-oatmeal/