Why do so many recipes in America call for "cream of mushroom soup"?

Why do so many recipes in America call for "cream of mushroom soup"?

Can I just substitute that stuff with starch, , bouillon, cream and chopped mushrooms? Or is there something special to using tinned cream of mushroom soup?

I genuinely don't understand the practice.

Because Campbell's kitchen put out a cookbook and ads in magazines back in the day with recipes. Things like the green bean salad that you see. They had their products as ingredients, showing how you could make "home cooked meals" in less time and effort by using their premade products like cream of mushroom soup. People started to make these recipes, they then taught them to their kids, and it goes on. From there, nostalgia has played a role as well, "just like mom/grandma used to make". Brilliant marketing campaign.

Most people have never tried to make some of those recipes from scratch without the Campbell's premade products.

>Can I just substitute that stuff with starch, , bouillon, cream and chopped mushrooms?

No.

>I genuinely don't understand the practice.
It was a combination of two things during the 20th Century: industrially produced food available at the supermarket and the advertising industry that could sell it. You could increase sales by having your advertisement be in the form of recipes that used your product(s) as ingredients. American housewives in Levittown weren't all that sophisticated, so if they read this was the new modern way to cook they believed it.

This shit trashed two generations of American "home cooking".

Exactly.

OP, of course you could substitute other things. The use of canned soup is just a shortcut that many people "learned" due to advertisements from the 50's and 60's.

If you want to do it the right way then saute your mushrooms and then make a bechamel or veloute sauce.

>If you want to do it the right way
If you're at all concerned about cooking good good then don't make recipes that were developed to sell canned soup. Good recipes don't come from corporate test kitchens.

Saute chopped mushrooms briefly. Make a light color roux with butter and flour, add stock. Simmer a few minutes until thickened and raw flour taste gone. Add cream. Much better.

stupid nigger.

Wtf?

Thanks for the explanation and the tips. I'll give it a go and that clears things up a lot.

america was a mistake foodwise

Only in the 20th Century.

>Good recipes don't come from corporate test kitchens.
Are you joking or are you really a moron hipster in the kitchen?

Not joking at all. Good recipes get passed down from generations of grandmothers or are created when a talented cook has a moment of inspiration. Corporate test kitchens give us cake mixes, green bean casserole, queso dip made out of Velveeta nd Ro-Tel and fucking Chex Mix. I'm old enough to remember the horrors of 1970's Good Housekeeping recipes because my mother made them whenever she wanted to "try something different". They were awful.

I'm not the person you're replying to, but I fucking agree.

A good recipe will call for fresh ingredients, not stuff out of a can, box mix, etc.

fuck you

Are you actually upset over med-20th Century American foodgore?

yeah, why?

Why are you doing this?

how about you suck my fucking dick/

Looks like /b/ is leaking.

like the best part of you leaked out of your moms vag. hahahhahha

>use basic ingredients instead of chemical laden, lab derived "food style products."
>you're a hipster numale, SJW antifa.

Sure is summer at Veeky Forums recently.

Is he saying that not cooking like a 1960's American housewife makes you a hipster? And he's mad about it? What a tard.

What kind of idiot actually cries about "chemicals"?

And I stand by my point. Saying all corporate kitchens produce garbage is idiotic and absolutely hipster trash talking. I'm a decent baker, and I make my cakes from scratch, but you can't deny boxes like Duncan Hines make a widely accepted cake that's almost completely idiot proof. How is that a trash recipe?

McDonalds makes a change in their menu and it changes the global farming market. Their food might not be what you enjoy or appreciate (I don't eat fast food, myself) but if you can't see that their corporate kitchen produces food that's accepted worldwide then I don't know what to tell you.

"Only organic produce is worth eating!"
"GMO free or it's awful!"
"Ugh, a CORPORATION made this up? Trash! Only recipes I found in cookbooks at Goodwill count as good."

Yeah. Small minded hipster shit.

>oh look, it was designed in a lab and the primary ingredients were produced in petrochemical factories where the process produces innumerable chemical manufacturing byproducts that are conveniently not identified on the label or anywhere else since we own the FDA and USDA.

Food, agri and chemical corporations have our best interest at heart. Wew, lass. Naive much?

Wow, aren't you enlightened! You're definitely the first person to realize companies are out for material gain. What're you gonna do with this knowledge?

Whine like a pretentious adolescent?

>i'm afraid of things i don't understand
everything is chemicals, man. serial killers are chemicals.

>What're you gonna do with this knowledge

Not buy petrochemical laden garbage the components of which the corporation refuses to identify, which was the basis of my original assertion? Yeah, that's what I will do. How about you? Still suck at the corporate tit because they only want the best for you? Don't feel bad, there's an enormous number of naive fuckers like you out there.

I'm glad you're truly "woke," user. Stay blessed.

Try to realize that no one else gives as much of a shit about this and maybe you're going off on a ridiculous tangent that has literally nothing to do with the original assertion that "all corporate recipes are trash."

Going to close the thread now, because I don't care to argue with people like you. Goodnight.

>i got the last word so i win
Not even him. Don't reply, or pretend to be another user, or else.

if it calls for campbells cream of anything, don't make it

actually a lot of people care.

Ingredients to cream of mushroom soup, Campbell's.
>Water, Mushrooms, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Cottonseed, Canola, And/or Soybean), Modified Food Starch, Wheat Flour, Contains Less Than 2% Of: Cream (Milk), Salt, Whey+, Soy Protein Concentrate, Monosodium Glutamate, Yeast Extract, Flavoring, Garlic+. +Dehydrated.

Such chemicals, much dangerous n

This.
You're missing the point. Food that contains so-called chemicals like modified food starch and soy protein concentrate doesn't suck because it's full of dangerous chemicals. It sucks because it's garbage. That shit is not in quality food products. You're buying a shit product to use as an ingredient because your gullible grandmother got taken in by the advertising used to sell it. She didn't know any better because her parents lived through the Great Depression when getting any food was a challenge for many Americans.

No reason to keep this shit going. It's time has passed.

>Such chemicals, much dangerous n

Isn't that the tumblr dogs meem?

I thought it was reddit.

No, it's the Reddit dogo maymay

Regardless it doesn't change the fact that using shitty prefab ingredients results in shitty cooking.

No, most people just use it because it's easy.

Holy shit, you guys are faggots.

Why do so many recipes in Britain call for "halal foods"?

Can I just substitute regular foods from the grocery? Or is there something special to using food marketed to Muslims?

I genuinely don't understand the practice.

The irony of this reply is incredible.

it sucks. growin up, my mom would make casseroles, but instead of using 'cream of x' canned soup, should would make the sauce herself- milk flour butter mushrooms etc....

tastes much better

>he doesn't like homemade chex mix

Remove the dildo from your ass, faggot