Pantry staples

What are the staples you should always have on hand in your pantry? I'm trying to get into the habit of cooking more often but I'm constantly running to the store to buy ingredients because the only things I have in my pantry on a constant basis are garlic and onion because I put them in everything.

Help me kit out an adult pantry rather than this manchild shit I've got going on now.

>keeps a jar of jelly beans for his milksteak
dude, youre pretty sweet dude.

I've always thought that pantries were the coolest thing ever. I grew up poor and in a small house so the only times I saw them were on shows/movies and at friends houses. /blog

That ain't my pantry man, it's just from Google.

My pantry only presently contains garlic, onions, rice, tuna, canned tomatoes, whiskey, and hot sauce.

Still learning myself but I keep the following regularly so far: apple cider vinegar, assorted beans and rice depending what you cook (I keep lentils, black beans, pinto beans, navy beans, jasmine rice, white and brown rice), 2-3 types of dry pasta, canned stock cause I don't buy many bone-in cuts, potatoes, garlic, onions, usually a jar of red pasta sauce if I'm feeling lazy on a day, corn starch, baking soda, baking powder, and various spices. Not extensive but I don't cook a huge variety of things and spices covers my bases well when taken into consideration with my cold foods. I'll update if I think of anything.

This is me, but it looks like Ali in OP pic can't cook.

flour
sugar
yeast
salt
pepper
cayenne
olive oil
neutral oil (canola / rapeseed / safflower)
get a good bit of seasonings (I like badia in the mexican isle)
butter
onions
potatoes
garlic cloves
tortillas
bread

Get that shit and you'll be set, just buying proteins and veg for meals (buy shit on sale))

What do you cook with all those different types of beans?

Black beans I usually put in with rice. Pinto beans are nice when you cook them with ham or in chicken stock. Navy beans I like to cook and refrigerate to put in pasta salad with rigatoni.

Any or all of the above are nice in chili or goulash, whatever you may call beans, meat, and vegetable stuff.

gas, indigestion and diarrhea.

You mean smooth digestion, no diarrhea, and lots of avoiding colon cancer? Then yes.
Forgot to answer about lentils. Those I usually just kind of eat as a snack because they're easy to eat and taste like bland dirt regardless how I've ever made them. They're cheap and easy.

lentils give me anaphylaxis. I cant even touch those things without getting something like a mosquito bite.

beans, beans, the magical fruit. the more you eat, the more you toot. the more you toot, the better you feel, so eat your beans alone at home like youre supposed to.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have no fucking idea what I'm doing (i.e I have lamb shanks in the slow cooker at the moment and I just threw in an arbitrary amount of beef stock, garlic, and tomato paste) but having all the staples readily available will be a good start to actually figuring this shit out.

Pray for me.

Beans don't give me gas. If you overlook them to hell they will, but don't do that.

Sure thing. The only way I've learned well is finding a recipe that sounds good and playing with it. Probably it won't be perfect the first time, but that's ok. It'll still be food.
Just try to learn the basics of how meats cook, different veggies and different legumes/rice cook. I've been making brown rice for a long time and if I do it half assed it still sucks sometimes. Good luck!

most beans make me commit climate change if im inside.

the back of the pantry door is where the magic happens

Broth or bouillon or both if you don't make your own stock

>not using better than bouillon

I use the green jar that is a powder instead of cubes. is that bad.

you hungry fuck

This thread is relevant. I'd like to know more about what's good to keep around. Posted mine already.
Should mention that buying 10 pounds of potatoes might be overkill if you live by yourself.
Also, sea salt and kosher salt specifically can be useful to have separate quantities of. Flour of whatever type suits you. Oils. I've only cooked on and off and knowledge of oils is new to me. I use mostly olive and canola. Have been trying coconut and peanut. Grape seed seemed to make everything I cooked taste like plastic- could've been the bottle I got.

How does farro cook comparatively? What's it good in? Not questioning your choice- I've just never heard of it til I googled it.

farro is great — think rice, but better. it's meatier than rice or quinoa, but is more forgiving of a grain than something like bulger.

i cook it in veggie broth, or in water with a clove or two of garlic and a bay leaf. the texture is great.

Sweet thank you. I like bulgur but it's kinda small to hold up to chewing, if that makes sense. I'll keep an eye out for farro at the store.

i highly recommend it. you can slow cook it like a risotto, but it also cooks just as fast if not faster than brown rice. i hate to use the phrase "mouth feel," so i'll just say farro is a great grain with texture and flavor.

If you were to throw it in soup then let it sit for a day, does it just absorb all the liquid and get soggy?

I've always liked hulled barley (not pearled) because it remains toothy even when doing this.

Flour
Sugar
Seasonings
Oil
Rice
Lentils
Stock cubes
Corn meal
Potatoes
Sardines and canned tuna
Crackers
Oatmeal
Vinegar (malt)
Sliced bread
Millet

From what user says I bet it gets nice. Obviously anything that can absorb liquid will do so. You put a bit more fatty goodness in there and it absorbs less. There's a limit though! Nobody wants to chug grease. Try and learn, as always, but it sounds fuckin sexy.

Idk. I've never cooked with straight sugar, millet or sardines.
This is a pantry staples thread. If you actually keep those, can you enlighten us on at least millet and sardines as staples?

it holds its texture way better than rice or quinoa, i think it's comparable if not better than barley in this regard. i've made tons of soup with farro that i've frozen and then reheated, and it's great.

Sugar:Baking mostly

Millet: Use it in place of oats or rice in various situations if I feel like a changeup

Sardines: I eat them straight on crackers or toast mostly but I also make fisherman's eggs or mush and fry as fish cakes

oop

Well now I have to try sardines and millet I guess. I bought some "kipper snacks" last year to see and it kind of turned me off canned fish. Will try for u user.