ITT: Restaurant Worker Horror Stories

The best one gets the tip.

I was a dishwasher at a jap restaurant for a while

Not sure if it counts necessarily because overall aside from the waitresses, everyone was nice and mostly trying to keep things going smoothly and it was just that the job sucked by nature

Used to work at KFC as the fry cook, once had a shift with this dude antonio, this dude was a fucking retard, one time I was putting some trashbags in the dumpster and this guy was supposed to be bringing up any chicken that had finished or whatever, anyway, as I'm chucking the trashbags in the dumpster I hear one of the fryers beeping and I assume this guy is gonna take the chicken out of the fryer, I finish up what I was doing and go back to the fryer is still beeping and he's just standing there staring at it like a retard, I said what the fuck man, why haven't you taken the chicken, he just stares at me, doesn't even go to open the fryer so eventually I just did it, he did this shit multiple times that night.

Another time to avoid actually doing anything he brought in one of the bins from outside and started cleaning it (which is the front staffs job anyway), he did this for the rest of the time he was there, he left about halfway through the shift without a word.

I fucking hated that guy, surprised he didn't get fired, I even brought it up with one of the managers and the stupid whore accused me of "being a bully" after I told her that shit.

Fuck working in fast food, never again

Waiters are the scum of the earth.

I know exactly what you mean I worked as a dishwasher at an Italian restaurant then later a Mexican restaurant

Why should I as a line cook care if a waitress gets tipped or not?

You make minimum wage just like I do (even though in theory I'm promised an "eventual" raise to wow, maybe even $10/hr. If you falsify your reports to avoid your employer having to pay the difference of tips and minimum wage, they are committing a crime and you are a willing accomplice.

So on top of that, you at the busiest peak hours will make as much as $100 dollars. I resent servers a lot because they are so entitled. Perhaps it comes from dealing with entitled customers, the trait is contagious. They think because they have to "deal" (the horror of speaking and listening) with customers. Bitches, so do us cooks. Because we have to listen to your (usually, not always) entitled explanation of the order (like I'm an idiot when you don't explain something on a ticket), we have managers breathing down our necks, and to top it off you'll come back 5 minutes later asking for a roast or fried chicken. I deal with SO many more people and have many more difficult conversations and tasks. Nor do servers do anything physically straining or dangerous. I lift 50lb containers and 25-40 lb vats of hot oil multiple times a day. I have to be need to be very careful not to injure myself or another but it's a very crucial task that needs to be done for the restaurant to function. Would you ever see a server (non management) doing this? Hell to the no. Entitlement out the wazoo. Some servers really and truly believe their job deserves the money it earns. I check my phone once a day and they're constantly on theirs. It irritates me to no end that others get paid for my work just because they carried it. I read one person argue that the servers knowledge of the menu is a redeeming trait. It's only a fraction of my own menu knowledge and skill set.

I hate this world where hard work is not rewarded.

So why aren't you a waiter?

lack of interpersonal skills

Because I like to cook. I enjoy what I do very much I just hate how basically everyone else in the resuturant and even the customers respect chefs but I've never felt respected by a server. They act like I intentionally delay their tickets one minute as if it means they won't make enough tip money to eat.

Forget the fact they leave the table with empty drinks while they troll and gossip by the traying window. Why would I ever want to be in such a skillless job that only leads to two paths? Management or continued serving (likely at the same location forever).

Cooking at least is a marketable skill that extends to other areas of life. I rest easy knowing I do good work, I'm just angry momentarily until I have enough experience to work somewhere nice with good wages.

Gossip isn't an interpersonal skill and trust me all the staff can do it.

If back of house had no interpersonal skills, not only would we tell most people to shove their requests where the sun don't shine, they wouldn't become the most best managers. Also another line chef is transferring to serving for the same complaints as mine. The difference between us is I like what I do.

Lack of interpersonal skills as in taking shit from the customer with a smile on your face, and then complimenting them afterwards. By your post, you've demonstrated complete incapability of this.

Your argument is flawed and idiotic but that's granted since your position is.

Anyone can stand and take shit. Obviously it's what I do it's what everyone does. Now I'm beginning to feel baited because I think you sound purposefully entitled.

The fact you're here (and specifically in this thread) means that you too with your God like patience and calm facade leave your work frustrations to complain on an anonymous board.

But leave it to servers to assume personal details about people they know nothing about anyways. There's no actual knowledge in their head so they make fantasies.

Man, you need to work on your interpersonal skills. Nobody wants to listen to an embittered egotistical bloviance.

I served this table of 15-ish people one time. One of them asks for the goat cheese veg tacos we serve with no yogurt. Put in the order. Food comes out serve her plate first and then the others. By the time Im almost done dropping plates down that lady essentially screams. I ask what's wrong. She's hyperventilating and wont answer. One of the members of the party is rubbing her back and tells me "she is ALLERGIC TO DAIRY!!!" keep in mind she hasnt even touched the tacos yet, just saw the cheese AND it says goat cheese veg tacos on the menu. I tell them Ill have the kitchen make some new ones for her and take these away. Girl rubbing other girls back says "oh no thats fine Ill just eat these with my meal and she can get some new ones."

Basically a scam

Towards the end a 13-ish year old girl with the group stands up yells "FUCK YOU MOM" goes outside and kicks our sidewalk board down. Table leaves and I make like 5 bucks on a $110 tab.

I hate my job

I went to Zaxbys for tasty tendies and asked for fries instead of slaw, which they allow. Employee verbally agrees. I get home, open it - fucking slaw. Damn wagey, you had ONE job!

worked at domino's at the register, the boys in the back fucked a cinnastix order and made it a garlic bread by mistake. dude had to wait 10 more mins for his cinnastix, real respectful but disappointed, he had kids I think. anyway I hop on the oven to get that shit ready asap for him, pack it up and give it to the man with our apologies. realise later... did I put an icing in the fucking box? I couldn't remember.
still haunts me to this fucking day. cinnastix... without icing? I hope I didn't forget that day. fuck me.

Hey man he abused the system and got paid for it, shame you had to pick up the work i get that but he did fuck all and got paid the same amount as you.

damn, that really sucks,
you desserve a better job my buddy fampai

> Show up to work
> Shovel ice out of the freezer for 5 minutes because some fucktard left it open all night AGAIN
> Floor and ceiling
> Do three people's jobs for half an hour
> Get managed for yelling at a co-worker who showed up late AGAIN and ditched me on my own AGAIN.
> It stopped his constant bitching, though. Worth it.
> Sweep more water from the freezer, put more de-icing salt down
> Proceed to spend the entire day hauling heavy weights around and unfucking things
> 'Oh, it's okay, X will be back soon and will manage the late shifts'.
> I know damn well the lazy shit won't do it.
> Still have to get caught up with two weeks' worth of neglected cleaning and maintenance
> Spent half an hour clearing ice yesterday
> Spent a significant amount of time re-labeling stuff yesterday that didn't go out wednesday, find it back where it was before I re-labeled it

Sure must be hard working in the service industry and not having to do real work, and then getting tipped for it.
But then, I guess you don't have a union, or get paid above minimum wage, or have free, secure parking, or a staff discount, company pension, annual bonuses, or flexible hours.
Or even enough money to own and run a car, let alone have an expensive hobby.

He actually got paid a little more than me cause he was like a year or so older, fucking shits me real bad when cunts don't do shit but get paid for it, in fact most of the time the front staff just stood around fucking gossiping at the burger prep station rather than doing shit that needed to be done i.e their dishes, I constantly had to pick up their cleaning shit too just so I could clean my own shit.

Then they'd yell and bitch at me to make more chicken even though every fryer had chicken in it already, there was this one lanky faggot cunt that I particularly hated called Kein or some shit who acted like he was a fucking manager, threatening my job to try and get me to make more chicken even though I was already doing it, constantly yelling at me for no good fucking reason and slacking off like a fucking dickhead gossiping at the burger prep station

Fuck front staff, they can be real cunts

I used to work in KFC too, 16 years old and just doing it for vidya money. I have a lot of horror stories and it convinced me never to work in fast food and do well in school.

Anyway

>Store is the "flagship" in my country
>The biggest KFC and gets all the new items and shit to try before they go nationwide
>Bring out those mini-wraps, big adverts for them all in front of the shop, massive signs with blown up pictures of it.
>Was essentially like 3 bits of popcorn chicken in a tiny tortilla wrap with some sauce, only cost 99p
>Every single day someone would complain because the adverts made it look bigger than it was
>Customers getting legit angry when I hand it to them
>One of them just fucking chucked it at my manager and stormed out swearing

It costs fuck all, what else did you expect?

Lol shit, my store was a test store for new fryers, computer systems and shit, nothing ever fucking worked man, sucked fucking ass

You only got an extra $5 for doing your job! QQ

Not really customer related but my colleagues were also fucking horrifying.

>Only two weeks in, still getting a hang of the ropes so just put on lobby (Tray bitch and mopping tables)
>Fairly busy so it's all hands on deck, one of the managers also out helping clear up the lobby.
>Running my ass off but it's 15 minutes until the end of my shift, looking forward to getting home and playing some Halo 3
>Some customer is talking to one of the managers on the floor who then comes straight over to me
>"I need to check the male toilets right now user"
>"lol ok" Says little old me, eager to please because it was my first job
>Go inside
>Dude lying on the floor next to the urinals
>Blood on the floor
>2 dudes just minding their own business still pissing
Now I fucking panicked at this point, 16, didn't know what the fuck to do but I had some basic first aid training.
>Told the guys to fuck off and get help RIGHT NOW
>Blood was coming from a small gash on the back of his head, unconscious and breathing shallow.
>Do usual first aidy shite, recovery position, monitoring of airway.
>Manager comes in after what felt like an eternity
>"Oh, I'll uh, call an ambulance..."
>Fucked off and never came back
>Spent 30 minutes all alone looking after this dude before paramedics arrive.
>Tell them what the injuries are and assist them checking and moving him to the ambulance
>First thing manager says to me when I go back in to sign out
>"Your shift ended a while ago, you shoulda just left then, I can't really put this as overtime"
I was fucking livid but had to hold my tongue, I didn't give a fuck about the extra time I "worked", this 30 year old manager just abandoned me to deal with this all by myself and the fucker knew there was someone in there from the start.

Thinking about that still pisses me off, but I have worse stories.

We had panic buttons that didn't work, which was a surprise to me.

>15-ish people
>$110 tab
What the hell, sell them some overpriced drinks or something this is totally unacceptable.

Shiet, I would have fuckin reported that manager or kicked him in the dick, the panic button is a new one though, we never had a panic button or anything like that anywhere, I'm pretty sure they told the front staff to do what the criminal wants, our laws are pretty bullshit man, guns are cucked, cars are cucked on turbo's superchargers and engines with more than 8 cylinders until you get a full license which can take like 6 years or more if you started from the first license (L's at 16 years old) but they'll let some paki cunt go straight for their full license provided they're old enough and know the bare minimum.

Probably because I'm in cuckstralia though.

I'm high as fuck and that was epic.

A new meaning to "Bargain Bucket"

>Quiet day, probably only 20 customers in or so
>Lobby bitch so just mopping the floors so I'm not standing around like an idiot.
>Manager comes up to me and asks me to check the toilets
>Go in with the mop and bucket expecting the usual lake of piss
>Aside from the place smelling of shit everything is still clean, just a bargain bucket sitting on one of the sinks.
>Go to grab it to throw it in the bin
>Shit
>A pile of shit in a bargain bucket
>with SHIT FINGERPRINTS ON THE RIM
>gag and go to my manager asking what I should do
>"Oh wow, just throw it in the bin then"
>"Okay, can I get some plastic gloves?"
>"We don't have any"
Fuck me I wanted to cry
>Go back to the toilet
>Gently pick up the bucket away from the shit fingerprints and hold it as far away from me as I can.
>Walk out and the few customers that are in are staring at me holding this bucket at arms length.
>Was going to take it to the bins out back but my manager briskly walks up
>"You can't take that through the back area, just throw it in the bins out here"
>Had to lob this bucket of shit into a lobby bin
>Made sure I was very fucking far away from it so I wouldn't have to take it out later
>Spent the rest of my shift feeling dirty.

For a flagship store we were always running out of basic shit, we had like two whole days where we had no sides because the Store Manager fucked up an inventory.

God that place was just full of fucking morons.

Customers being weird

>"What vegetarian stuff do you have?"
>"This is KFC, so chips or corn"

>Skinny customer orders 14 piece bargain bucket
>Dish it up and give it to them
>Sits down and demolishes the whole thing them self
I'll give you 5 points for guessing their skin colour.

>Woman comes in 15 minutes before close
>Wants a 10 piece bargain bucket with only breast
>Only have 3 left, can only cook 6 head of chicken at a time and takes about 15-20 minutes
>"Sorry ma'am but we can't really do that."
>Bitches at me for a full 10 minutes before storming off

>Cross eyed lady that would come in twice every single day and eat a popcorn chicken snackbox.

And why I was finally driven to quit, through managerial incompetence.

>Worked there for 6 months or so, 17th birthday coming up
>Request my birthday week off a month in advance.
>"Yeah all good user I'll put that down"
>Week before my birthday, check my rota
>Working both my birthday and the weekend
>WTF at the manager
>"Oh you shoulda told me in writing so I would have remembered, I can't really get anyone in to cover you."
>Seethed with rage but worked my birthday anyway, friends came in with presents so it wasn't all that bad.
>End of the shift I decide fuck it no-show for the weekend and leave the hell hole.

And that's why working fast food is fucking awful.

In the just shy of 3 years in my store, I've seen over 140 employees come and go through my pizza-chain-store.

Just last night I had to drag a crackhead out of my store for trying to assault a woman and her family, he proceeded to try and stab me and got the shit beaten out of him by a company car topper.

>lobby video recording proved me to be in the clear

A month ago, we had a new hire show up for her first shift as a server, about an hour into her shift she needed to use the bathroom.

>just fyi you need to remove your apron before you go into the bathroom or leave the store
>ok.jpg
>this chick is 19, maybe 20
>see her wander off towards bathrooms
>notice she didn't remove her apron, whatever we'll deal with it later
>2 top, 4 top, 5 top and an 11 top show up within minutes of eachother, I'm busy slapping out orders and playing server for these tables
>realize it's been about half an hour now, go look for new girl
>knock on bathroom door, no answer
>knock and call out her name, no answer
>knock again and announce myself as I enter (womens bathroom has stalls, mens is just a single person bathroom)
>water all over floor, what the fuck is that smell?
>stall door wide open, toilet overfilled with shit

I nope'd the fuck out, put out a closed sign on the bathrooms and called our company plumber, he almost walked the fuck out. Toilet had the biggest shit I've ever seen in it, plumber told me that wasn't even why it was clogged and backed up, this bitch shoved her apron down our toilet, shit a dragon-dildo-sized log into the bowl and flushed repeatedly, then snuck out of the place and we've never heard or seen of her since.

>last month
>cook who's been here over a year and a half is running cut
>i leave his side for maybe 5 minutes to deal with front/tables/area coach bitching about usual shit on phone
>come back and see said cook staring blankly at screen trying to figure out what he's doing, back to our fryer
>fryer is fucking on fire

Cont.

>i'm talking full on blaze here, flames up the vent hood and all
>kid doesn't even fucking notice he's 3 feet from a blazing fire
>yell out WHAT THE FUCK
>kid just looks at me and goes "what, user?"
>dumbass refilled the fryer, without turning it off, so it continued to try and heat up non-existent oil before being refilled, and igniting it instantly
>tell him to fuck off out of the kitchen, it's a goddamned gas fryer and he can't grasp the risk
>throw tray over fryer to smother flames, turn it off and manage cut table
>take orders to tables, apologize for the loud FUCK being heard from the kitchen, give everyone half off their orders
>called 911 as is policy, fire dpt comes out and okays everything, asks what the fuck happened
>cook just shrugs at them "i dont know it just happened out of nowhere"

How this fucking kid hasn't been fired is beyond me.

>hotheaded babby teenager doesn't know how to handle life in the real world

Shit happens, you'll learn that the longer you live. Might as well get used to it now.

>We had panic buttons that didn't work, which was a surprise to me.
You know these don't have a loud alarm, but a silent one, to avoid panicking the attacker. It calls the police who will arrive ASAP to shoot the guy in the back.

That was about 9 years ago now, I've moved on to greater things.

Also it wasn't just that he didn't remember, it was the combination of all the fuckups and shit I had to deal with, it wasn't worth 3.40 an hour.

>you shoulda told me in writing so I would have remembered
People dont remember every conversation they had. Just put everything midly important in writing.

We had an older guy who worked in the kitchen die in the bathroom, does that count?

As someone who can demolish half a bucket in one sitting, I think you just don't understand that some people have a fast metabolism.

KFC is best big-brand fast food, though.

> waahhhh verbal contracts
Your rota is worth the paper it's written on. Don't you pick your holiday time at the start of the year?
Typical millennial. You're the type of people I have to get 'processed out' so we don't lose customers.

fug dood

drugs?

>9 years ago now
>3.40 an hour

what?