Where do i get a good cheesesteak?

where do i get a good cheesesteak?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zru1yk--rGQ
jimssouthstreet.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

South Philadelphia, 9th and Wharton Sts?

This is the tastiest frozen/microwaveable food you can buy IMO.

Intensely beefy/umami flavor.

I don't give a fuck what you say, steak escape is fucking awesome!

you can make your own user

youtube.com/watch?v=Zru1yk--rGQ

Good flank steak (or ribeye which is best obviously) , chopped, mixed with sautee'd onions and green peppers, tapped with salt, pepper and cayenne, top with provlone/swiss on a toasted french loaf, and there you go.

that's a cool channel

thanks

cheese and meat is a hhhnnnggg combo. avoid.

Any pizza shop in Philly sells cheesesteaks which are better than the shit labeled "Philly Cheese Steak" in other parts of the country, but the best of the best i Jim's on South St.:

jimssouthstreet.com/

Also, isn't a bad option, but the key is to find the right bread, which is harder than it sounds. The toppings in that video are clearly from some idiot outside Philly. Fried onions and MAYBE peppers but none of that other shit. That's why when you order at a place like Jim's there's a specific lingo you use: "American with" means american cheese and include fried onions.

>t. Lived in Philadelphia my whole life

>jimssouthstreet.com/

Seriously, 100% this. I went to Philly for the first time this past March, right after their huge snowstorm, and I had both Pat's & Geno's. They weren't any better than the old cheesesteak place I used to go to college in Phoenix. Just a big greaseball of shit.

A couple of days later, my buddy took me to Jim's, which was fucking fantastic. Loved it. The best example of a regional food I've had traveling.

could you maybe give a run down of their basic cheesesteak recipe?

I live in Nashville, and it's impossible to find a good one here....literally have to go to arby's.....they aren't bad, but it's not a real cheesesteak

i wanna make one from scratch

If you get tired of searching for good cheesesteak, try the roast pork sandwich from Dinics in Reading Terminal Market.

this shit

also mad low-key:
koch's deli in university city - pastrami with the sweet munchee cheese. was waiting for a sandwich once and some arabs came in. sandwich dude went "nope, we dont make muslim rye, gtfo"

anywhere. shaved steak/beef (whatever you wanna call it), cooked for seconds in an oil. that's all

I once went to a place in Philly that supposely created the first philly cheesesteak (not actually buying into it though). It resulted being the most bland and tasteless thing ever.

Joes > Jims >> Most corner stores >>>>>> Pats == Geno

Get it with provolone and onions and a condiment of your choice, never get wiz

Whenever a place advertises as first and not best its usually not very good. They had a good idea and then never improved on it.

The video in gets it right enough as far as the meat, and any idiot can fry onions, but like I said the hardest thing to replicate is the bread, and that makes or breaks it.

You want a loaf that has a hard but thin, "crackling" exterior, without too much fluffiness inside. Some places around here even remove some of the loaf's innards to try to replicate the bread they use.

Most "sub" loafs you buy at a deli or supermarket won't cut it. If you're making it at home, your best bet is to get a french bread loaf, heat it in the oven until it's extra-crispy, and go one of 2 ways:

1) If the loaf is lean enough on the inside, you're good to go.

2) If the loaf has too much fluffy bread on the inside either make sure the meat is greasy enough to shrink it or tear out some of that interior fluffiness.

Hope this helps.

The issue is a decent French loaf has an exterior that is WAY too hard for a decent cheese steak. I ran into this problem in Japan. In the US its very hard to find places willing to slice beef into sheets that are deli meat thin outside of the north east, but theres a ton of dishes in Japan that use exactly that. Excellent bakeries cooking the finest French breads but the bread just wasn't right for a proper cheesesteak.

Much better than my attempts in the US after I moved out of Philly though.

but if you're in reading terminal market, you should be getting the train wreck cheesesteak from the cajun place...

philly cheesesteaks DO NOT HAVE GREEN PEPPERS. LONG HOTS ARE FOR THE ROAST PORK/BEEF. SWISS CHEESE IS NOT AN OPTION.

Pat's

Fuck. I loved these, definitely contributed to my obesity

The green peppers really tie the sandwich together, though. The cheese has to be provolone.

I like grilled ribeye and the roll, but I think white cheese and a fuckload of hot giardineria is where it's at. Chicago can suck a dick, but the Italian beef hits all the bases.

the sandwich you want is an italian style philly roast beef. cheesesteaks are a cousin to this sandwich. The classic cheesesteak is chopped beef, cheez whiz, and fried onions if you want.

You don't. You go to New York and get a chopped cheese instead.

>pic related

the jersey shore

>cheesesteak
>good
I don't know why i still come here

You're way off if you think that's all it takes.

I live in South Carolina and grocery stores sell pic related. It's shaved ribeye almost paper thin but not quite. Works pretty good.

>New York
You mean the Bronx?

The only chopped cheese in the city worth a shit is the one at White Gold

chopped cheese up in harlem nigga - shit is trash tho

Why would anyone eat chopped cheese in harlem when it's just a knockoff of the real thing?

If you're going to eat a knockoff it had better be an improvement on the original.

>chopped cheese
Literally just a philly with the wrong fucking meat.
Goddamn NYC cunts fuck everything up and then claim its a "new york staple yo!"

>my city is irrelevant and this makes me angry
I think philly is nice. I am from New York

Happy now? Can we move on?

We can move on when you stop bastardizing everything and claiming it's the best.
Hamburger on a hoagie my ass

The only person who said it's best is you

Sounds like you're pretty fixated on NYC desu, maybe you should move here?

Looks fucking delicious, I wish we could get those in the UK

i can't afford it :(

new york sucks dick

t. new orleans

Just get roommates and live in a less popular neighborhood until you get on your feet. It's what everyone else does. From white flyover kids to Fujianese delivery guys.

Today's less fashionable neighborhood is tomorrow's hipster hell. Invest in your smug "I was here first" credits today!

I found New Orelans disappointing. I expected a vibrant cocktail culture with micro bitters and obscure spirits. I found a bunch of loud drunk idiots chugging cheap Seagram products out of plastic tubs.

2/10 would not visit again.

>New York sucks dick
>t. 99% of people not from New York

Ftfy

>micro bitters
hope this is b8

because it sucks dick. people have different reasons for thinking that. it's a post gentrified yuppie disneyworld. last time new york chewed up and spit someone out was in the mid 90s. enjoy your tapas and pop-up museum cafes you fucking faggot

>the only bitters are angostura
lol

NYC is America's best city but its not that great compared to a lot of cities globally. Tokyo is better in pretty much everyway (especially when it comes to food) except for diversity of people and NY style pizza

Tokyo gets fucking boring fast.

>thinking jew york isnt a rotting cesspool where everything is either illegal or too expensive

you only need to visit to see how awful it is there. youd have to be a fucking moron to WANT to live there. If only a 9/11 happened every day.

new york is not a top 5 city in north america

FBI informed.

Go to Pat's...King of Steaks...

Pat's and Geno's are both tourist trap shitholes.

Only if you can't talk to anyone and you spend all your time going to temples. I lived there three years and still didn't get to do everything I wanted to in the city.

Name anywhere in North America you think is better and I'll tell you how you're wrong. NYC isn't perfect and other cities have their strength but NYC is really the only place in the US that qualifies as a true city when compared globally.

Literally any other city in the entire country.
Big is not better.

new york city is the most middlebrow place on the planet. it's a yuppie housing project filled with people who listen to npr podcast. off urself.

>austin
>mexico city
>new orleans
>montreal
>santa fe

>austin and santa fe on the same tier as montreal and mexico city
lol
>npr is bad
lol

Do this. But also get one, or maybe more, from pizza joints, other sandwich shops, and assorted holes in the wall. I ate Pat's and Geno's when I was there, and they were adequate, Pat's was superior in my opinion. But the cheese steaks that I got other places were better.

Go to China Town and get ramen. Best broth ever.

those are just 5 random cities better than new york

Dude NYC is a garbage town. Filth, grime, and restaurants that can't even stay open for more than 2 years. It's a revolving door city for yuppies

There is no reason to ever go to Pat's and Geno's. The only thing they can reasonably claim is to have a better cheesesteak than anywhere else not in the north east.

i mean, there are some reasons. they are the famous ones, so its a baseline to try better shit. and they are next to each other so you can do both at once. if you only have one meal in philly, its a shit choice, but otherwise it's not a terrible call to check out.

100000000x this. ive never heard anyone else mention kochs - had a gf who went to penn who brought me. spot is incredible

>except for diversity of people

This. I can honestly say that they are among the worst cheesesteaks I've ever tasted.

The small hole-in-the wall places in Philly do a MUCH better job.

It's not possible to enjoy food and hate diversity at the same time, because diversity only makes the food culture of an area better. More choice is not a bad thing.

you actually think theyre THAT bad? i mean theyre not top ten, but hungover and hungry i would for sure crush one. cheesteaks are just a solid sandwich

dont take this bait

WNYC is very popular among middle aged college educated whites here, but what you don't realize is that we're a minority in this town. Some neighborhoods are middlebrow as fuck, others are outrageously upscale, while still others are mostly immigrants.

While I've never been to Santa Fe I'll agree that Austin, New Orleans and Montreal all give it a run for its money as far as middlebrow shit goes. New York beats them on the high and lowbrow fronts simply by having more rich people and immigrants. We can't compete with Mexico City, however. That place has nearly three times our population, so they have more of everything.

mexico city might be top 3-5 cities in the world. nothing better comes to mind, tho ppl on here will say tokyo

Pats and Genos are famous for cheesesteaks like McDonald's is famous for burgers. Except you have wait 30+ minutes for either.
Do you really need to hit up McD and BK as a baseline for burgers?

fair enough, i just get why lame ass people go. when losers travel, just like when they watch new tv/read new books/go to new movies want to feel part of something, to hold the societal mirror of reflection up to themselves and see if they're living up to the values they asked someone else to set for them. some fag visitng from boston is already thinking about talking to his friend about his visit to philly and wants to have done the same things as his friend and have a hot take about which is better, pats or genos.

also - plug for whitehouse in AC

This form of traveling made sense before the internet and the only way to get any kind of information about a location was to have someone who lives theres, went there, or through a travel book filled with businesses that paid to be in there. There are occasionally places that are so incredibly famous that you must go even if locals warn you against them as a waste of time (Mona Lisa, Tokyo Tower tier), but Pats and Genos are definitely not that kind of place.

yeh, i agree i guess. other people feel like they have to do that shit just so they can get it out of the way, make fun of it, and do the shit they want/is good. im with you tho

It's true, though. Without the intermingling of various cultures, we wouldn't have many of the cuisines we all love today. You can argue the merits of diversity in other areas of life, but when it comes to food, it's nothing but a positive influence.

The /pol/ fag was shit posting and either already knew this or is not traveled and never will get rid of their ignorance. Either way arguing seriously with him will have no point.

Think about it like this: most folks eat at chain restaurants. That's their baseline. So tourist trap places don't have much incentive to be any better than that. They know the folks who are serious about food will avoid eating at tourist traps in the first place. In the case of Philly visitors who are serious about food will be looking for a good roast pork sandwich and not a cheese steak anyways.

Traveling to PA to visit family for a wedding in July. Any specific ones you can reccomend?

I don't think they were disgusting or inedible. I would certainly devour either one if I was hammered. But compared to the other cheesesteaks I've eaten? Easily among the worst of the bunch. And that really pissed me off because I wasted two of my meals during a business trip to Philly only to find out that the biggest names in cheesesteaks are also among the worst of their kind.

>cheesteaks are just a solid sandwich
Agreed.

Joes is best in the city, followed closely by Jim's