Are mortars+pestle worth the effort?

Other urls found in this thread:

thesweethome.com/reviews/best-pepper-mill/
thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-coffee-grinder/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Black pepper master race.
Eternal king spice.
Wars have been fought over it.

you should read about the history of the black pepper vine, unless you already know it.

cayenne and paprika

>Personal favorite spices?
Tumeric, Smoked Paprika, Chili Flakes
>Do you buy spices whole or powdered?
Powdered, but I'm going to try whole next time I run out
>What are good spice/coffee grinders?
thesweethome.com/reviews/best-pepper-mill/
thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-coffee-grinder/
Baratza Virtuoso Coffee Grinder & Peugeot Paris U’Select Mill
>Are mortars+pestle worth the effort?
I've been told they are.

I think black pepper has a tendency to overpower other spices.

I still add it to everything I eat though

Anything particularly interesting? I know next to nothing

Black pepper, cayenne, paprika and cinnamon are my faves to use.

I have a mortar and pestle. It's great for making spice blends.

cardamom
star anise
fennel seeds
mustard seeds
if herbs count
thyme
bay leaves
tarragon
parsley
sage

>Favourite spices?
Black pepper, cayenne*, paprika, turmeric
Also if you call them spices, garlic and ginger.
*not really, a similar local variety

>whole or powdered?
Of those I already listed:
black pepper and cayenne: whole. Got a grinder for black pepper only, I only chop cayenne.
Garlic and ginger: fresh
Turmeric and paprika: powdered

>mortar and pestle?
Yes. It's a versatile tool anyway.
One time when my black pepper grinder broke, mortar and pestle saved the day.

Herbs are not spices

Cumin master race

If they're dried then yes they're spices

>white guy from the burbs
>very angry from reading a lot of youtube comments by eye-talians and ching-chongs telling him what to do
>you can't tell me what to do! we BUILT CIVILIZATION! blargargargarg
>buy jars and jars of random stale dry "spices" from the dollar general
>I don't give a fuck how these are ''''''traditionally'''''' used, I know what's best because I am a straight white male
>dump random spices all over dry chicken breast and ramen mix
>I totally understand cooking! I just improvise! if you follow recipes you suck at cooking u soccer mom LMAO marco pierre white race master race!

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

mate what?

Allspice. Cinnamon. Cloves. Nutmeg.

Go away, chef John

Were you bullied by white people?

My fucking sister in law.

Just smells and dumps spices onto whatever she is cooking with no regard for traditional use. You can only add so much before it all blends together into nothingness.

Unless I'm following a recipe I try not to use more than a few spices. That allows the base ingredients and the few selected spices to really stand strong in the dish rather then be smothered by competing flavors.

Recently acquired an appreciation for paprika.

I thought it was flavorless. Just for color or garnish.

It needs to be warmed in the presence of fat. It unlocks the flavor.

>very white roommate cooking chicken breast, not halved
>about 1 tsp of every spice we have in the cabinet
>even the 'chicken seasoning blend' he bought
>pan, high heat, 6 minutes each side
>kitchen starts to smoke
>burnt, barely cooked monstrosity emerges from the dark clouds
>"I like it this way"

Why

He's not wrong though

He's not wrong that there's people out there who don't know how to cook or use seasonings, but that's more of a ignorance thing than a racial thing. Just pick up pic related and even you can be a seasoning master.

Bang up your herbs in a mortar+pestle, just a little bit. It amplifies the flavor a TON.

Cumin
Paprika, Caraway, Fennel/Anise, Pepper, Chili Powder
What classifies something as a spice anyway? Does it need to be a seed or part of the plant that's not a root or fruit?
Where do you draw the line?

Oregano is in almost all savory dishes and almost all salads I make, love it so much

Cayenne would be second

I like Paprika but grew up with a dad allergic to it, so I never really use it much

I despise cumin I don't know why but that shit has the habit to overpower every single flavor

also hate anise, tastes like disgusting medicine

I fuking hate cilantro. It tastes like soap. I can't understand how people can like it.

On Everything Tier:
- Salt
- Black Pepper

God Tier:
- Smoked Paprika
- Cumin
- Cayenne
- Ginger
- Rosemary

Burty Good Tier:
- Oregano
- Turmeric
- Basil
- Mint
- Thyme

Meh Tier:
- Saffron
- Cinnamon

Seconded.

Cumin and cayenne are my OTP.

When I'm lazy and drunk, I love lemon pepper and garlic salt. Hell, garlic salt on buttered toast is my favorite snack.

Favorites are basil, dill and black pepper.

I really fucking love dill.

They don't have inferior genetics like you do.

cumin and powdered ghost pepper

>Garlic salt on buttered toast
My fucking nigga. GOAT snack right here

Dill is very god tier

>Personal favorite spices:
Black pepper, tumeric, coriander(leaves and seeds), dill weed.

>Do you buy spices whole or powdered
Whole peppercorns. Also whole garlic. Everything else i buy is powdered. I also buy powdered garlic because it works better in some cases.

>good spice/coffee grinders
I just stick with my peppercorn grinder. don't really use it for anything other than peppercorns though.

>Are mortars+pestle worth the effort

I own one and almost never use it. I've used it mostly to make garlic butters. Even things like guacamole i prefer a food processor.

I did use it once to grind pot. That's another story for another time.

It tastes like soap to you because you have shit-tier genetics.

>Favorite spices
Coriander and cumin. Not too unusual, but very practical. Also charnushka; I wouldn't even consider baking a loaf of rye bread without it.
>Whole or powdered?
Always whole. Sometimes they stay that way to add some extra crunch.
>mortar & pestle
Always. And I always toast my shit before grinding.

Salt, Pepper, Cardamom, Basil

Whole then grind them via m/p so I can be a filthy hipster as much as possible

Basically anything made by Japan. I use a Porlex for my coffee grinder.

If you git gud

cumin, paprika, cinnamon, cardamom
both depending on whether the recipe requires whole or powdered (i don't have a spice grinder)
i guess, they're a pain the arse though. i don't enjoy using them

Herbs are from a plant's leaves, whereas spices are from non-leaf parts of a plant.

Fenugreek ftw

Saffronis More expensive than gold

oregano, black pepper, ancho and california chili powder. want to start using paprika more. buy from a spice store, retail. gotta love berkeley's Lhasa Karnak. quality for sure.

seriously, you have a genetic variant where it tastes like that. believe me, others dont taste it like that.

Are you supposed to toast then grind spices the day that you use them or can I just preserve them for a couple of months?

If I do store them, will toasting them actually have a point? Not sure how toasting spices affects them in the long run.

Sichuan
Peppercorn

>garlic powder
>smoked paprika
>ground cumin

Mad nigger detected. Sorry your chitlins are so nasty you have to drown them in shitty spices to make them edible

Is it true? I didn't know. Is it something random or regional? I'm mediterranean.

Now I wonder if this happens with other food.

Spices are awesome. I try not to buy powdered wherever possible, and a ceramic grinder is a god-tier, must have item in any kitchen.

I've been lately on a pimenton / smoked paprika kick. If you like BBQ flavours, you're going to love this. Agridulce and picante are great, and dulce goes great with a wide variety of dishes too.

I used fresh Thyme but I pretty much have a wide variety of bottled spices. Everything mentioned here is good. Paprika is one of my favourites.

Blacks are just as bad as you people

white pepper is literally better

Coriander seeds, black pepper and ginger, if that counts.Whole, I roast and crush them in the mortar myself.
Regarding herbs I really love rosemary and thyme.

SMOKED PAPRIKA

Cumin is the best spice

Pepper Corn

all of them. cumin, coriander seeds and kardamom I use most

you gotta have both, coffee grinder and mortar & pestle. they have very diff uses

only buy powdered when there is No other way.

>Subhuman Tier
-People that can barely list ten fucking spices

Cayenne is king. Turmeric his queen. Coriander seeds are the most underrated. Coarsely ground coriander with cumin fried in oil and butter.Turmeric added with tomatoes. Reduce. Finish with cayenne and cilantro. Makes for the simples and one of the best curry sauces. Add meat/paneer with bell peppers and onions in large cubes. Cook till vegetables are done to your liking. I also like throwing a soft boiled egg in if I'm not in the mood for chopping veg and out of protein.

I only cook from whole spices and don't own a pestle. What can I do with one that I can't with my coffee grinder.

Where the fuck is the coriander up in here fuckheads

Cumin, coriander, black pepper, mustard seeds, green cardamom, and cinnamon.

Whole

Any inexpensive bladed coffee grinder should work, I use a Black and Decker one.

Yeah, good for making pastes.

Dried dill, cinnamon, celery seed, paprika, saffron, are my most used I'm sure. For blends, I always have a za'atar blend for topping some flatbread or hummus, krazy janes which I like on chicken and fish, montreal steak, blackened seasoning for dolphin or snapper, lawrys for fries, tony cacheres, garlic herb mrs dash, Tajin chili lime salt (for mango and cukes mostly), poultry seasoning bells, old bay, crab boil, herbes du provence,
I always buy nutmeg whole for grating in my christmas eggnog. I do sometimes buy green cardamom, cloves, or other whole spices but I don't find the difference that noticeable, if you toast spices. Bay leaves should be fresh.
A turkish grinder is pretty nice, but anything from a cuisinart is okay if you watch the size as you grind.
Not at all, there's no need to be smash up much, even garlic is just find with the flat edge of your chef's knife with some coarse salt to puree. For some people, like indonesian cooking, some thai applications like the lemongrass, coconut, chilies, some dried little fishes, basil, all together into a paste for like a papaya salad? Okay, then you might want one, though the modern food processor would be just as nice. Maybe a gremolata, but again, ehh, processor and a little smush with the back of a spoon to finish it up. Occasionally, you might wanna bust up some peppercorns lightly, though they're less likely to jump out of a ziploc.
They ARE fun though!!

You can grind small quantities of whichever spices you use often and they'll keep their flavour well, I keep whole and ground cumin and coriander.

If you roast a bit of cumin and grind and store it it will still taste different than regular unroasted cumin down the line, so it's up to you.

>charnushka
Didn't recognize this word until I saw it's the same as nigella seeds, goes well in Indian cooking too.

>mortars and pestles aren't worth the effort

What is making a true Thai curry, faggot? Also it will never break unlike your stupid electronic blade grinder.

Anything above $500. Otherwise you are poor pleb that should not even look at the coffee beans or use some cheap (under $500) coffee grinder.

People like you should be sent to Auschwitz for your genetics.
>t. /pol/