Lidl is going to open its first American stores a week and a half from today in Virginia, North Carolina...

Lidl is going to open its first American stores a week and a half from today in Virginia, North Carolina, and South Carolina. They intend to operate 1,300 stores as far west as Texas by 2020.

Euros, what can us yanks expect from this place? We already have Aldi, but most of them are sort of trashy.

you can expect very lidl

its just a cheap-brand German supermarket.
Same as every cheap-brand place.

Expect pretty ok products but nothing fancy. The bread is pretty decent tho. The cereal is cheap knock off shit that I wouldn't touch with a ten foot poll. If you have one close by it's pretty ok. They usually have themed weeks, like October fest or shit like that, and at least the October fest one is pretty legit with the sausages and stuff (its the only way I can get things like WeiƟwurst when not actually in Germany)

Fucking load of crap

Ye

>what can us yanks expect from this place?

German Aldi's.

This.
You'd probably find better quality food at Walmart.

at least here it's just like any market, bit cheaper overall

Some of the best cheap processed food, but not much more than that. Fruit and veg selection is minimal and the meat seems dodgy.

Absolute GOAT dairy products tho ("Melbona", I think is their own brand).

>We already have Aldi, but most of them are sort of trashy.
what the fuck are you talking about Aldi is considered the nice grocery store here

best store-brand processed meats and dairy I've tried
nothing about Lidl or what they sell is particularily bad
it's cheap but actually very decent in my opinion

F P B P
P
B
P

I guess its different wherever "Here" is for you then because it's not a nice grocery story in America. It's a discount grocer with a bunch of generic store brands that poor people shop at for their fish sticks and 50 cent eggs and shit. Also I've never seen one with a deli or bakery or anything, or even a butchers window.

> (OP)
>>We already have Aldi, but most of them are sort of trashy.
>what the fuck are you talking about Aldi is considered the nice grocery store here
Uhh, I like Aldi for what I get there, but it's by no means "nice" grocery. As this user said It's a discount store of generics, with minimal selection. There's no butcher, which I inherently do not trust, which is why I don't get Wal-mart meat either.
What do I like about Aldi? Christmas time, there are nice german cookies and breads, iced gingerbread, chocolate covered marzipan, etc. The best stollen bread. If you need to bring a hostess gift, there's fun stuff to be found, from chocolates to various salami and aged and ripe cheeses and good crackers. Their knockoff beer and wine is like trader joes.
There's an occasional good german item, hot mustard, jams, canned soup, peanut puffs, and very good trail mix recipes, especially seasonally. If you see the produce you might want, it'll be inexpensive, likely half price, but selection is minimal. The chocolate chip brioche is great for french toast, and they have a good round loaf that is ideal for bruchetta or pressed sandwiches. The bread is heavy.

What I hate? I've taken friends and family around the holidays, and they get really pissed by the quarter to unlock a cart, the stuff not bagged for you, and paying for their bags (or needing to bring their own). Many will never go back again, and aren't that interested in saving money. Publix wins always.

germans ran walmart outta town, why should I shop at a german store? I'm never shopping at their stupid stores, walmart for life.

Aren't all of these just a strictly worse Costco?

Isn't this basically costco

BUY
THEIR
STRAWBERRY
MILK
YOU
WILL
THANK
ME

Aldi is German.

This. Their salami snacks are great, and the yoghurt too. Their milk seems crap, however.

a friend of mine works for their us corp office. they are targeting the lower income suburban areas of their target states to fill the holes in terms of quality from legacy grocery stores. from the samples I've gotten to eat the bakery is going to be dope and the produce will be the same as most other us grocery stores.

perfect for me as i'm a student. all the basics at a very cheap price. like to think i'll be able to buy nicer food when i'm older however

so a bigass aldi that might carry better dairy and bread?

>they are targeting the lower income suburban areas of their target state

Yup. If you thought walmart was full of fat rednecks & illiterate niggers, wait until you get a load of "Lidl".

Lidl and Aldi are pretty much the same in the UK. I go to Lidl mainly because it's closer. I get all my fresh stuff from there, meat, veg, milk, basics like bread, eggs, cheese etc because it's cheaper than the bigger supermarkets.

Lidl's own brand pasta/curry sauces in jars are nice enough if you add to it and reasonably priced. Usually got a good selection of biscuits/cereals which are as good as the branded stuff IMO.

Some items they don't have in all the time, like, a selection of plumber's rubber washers or some outdoor solar powered garden lights. Occasionally something completely out of the blue will appear that you forgot you needed.

It's good for me because I can spend about 40 quid on basics which lasts the whole week for myself, my partner and our child

>for myself, my partner and our child

>our child

Surely you mean "my partner's child", this is Veeky Forums

Aldi has a small selection but a lot of what they sell is just rebranded stuff from stores in the area, sometimes not even rebranded. I went to the nearest Whole Foods looking for some decent mushrooms and found a mediocre and expensive selection. Went to the Aldi by house and found literally the exact same mushroom selection (same packaging and everything) as whole foods for half the price.

I think a big component of their pricing strategy is they simply buy food from local grocery stores that is coming up fast on its expiration date. I've had food go bad on me that has never gone bad on me in America.

I nearly did but I wanted my post to be taken seriously, I genuinely care about Lidl

Lidl is trash

The movie theater by my house that has $5 tickets may be closing so that they can open one of these. It's pretty upsetting. That place has been there for 30 years and there's already a Kroger and a Publix right next to it, an Aldi about ten minutes away, and an authentic little Eastern European grocer close by too. I'm going to be upset if the deal actually goes through. I won't ever shop there.

Same concept as Aldi: They sell basics with razor tin margins and good quality because they know they can sell lots of it. Then they add saisonal stuff with higher margins like christmas stuff, things for your garden or electronics with okayish quality. This makes customers come back, helps with the profit and makes the store more interesting.

Both, Lidl and Aldi, are awesome

Lidl is the trashy version of Aldi

I'm sorry user
Cinemas closing is always bad news

Talk to the city commission. Hopefully the mom and pop store did the same.

That said, theatres are failing all over :( They charge too much for the food because they pay too much to the movie companies. To stay alive they have to compete with Netflix. The ones who seem to make it go arthouse and serve beer or funky foods. It's a lot of square footage to maintain without some hook.

niggers with goldchaims amd lots of
chrome

The food Lidl and Aldi sell is honestly fine.
It's so cheap because they don't sell brands, so don't go expecting Heinz ketchup and Lays crisps.
You can really make your money stretch at lidl and still get good fresh produce and bread, as well as great basic stuff, if you're willing to ditch brands for own-brand products which imo are basically the same.
However, Lidls are always in the shittiest areas and attract the scummiest people. The staff look like they want to kill themselves even more than in normal supermarkets. But I think it's worth it given how cheap it is, so enjoy Burgers.

I love Publix- I grew up going. But I can keep my bills under budget at Aldi.

Albertson's is way fucking nicer than Aldi

Can't wait to get to one of these, I love grocery stores to an unreasonable degree.

Still don't get how Aldi &Lidl could get access to the US market. The philosophy isn't exactly ground-breaking.

Has no one ever tried this?

Islike aldi and only gypsys and turks goes there

Cheap stuff for decent quality. Kinda like Aldi but looks nicer and more varierity. Buy Vodka Putinoff, best cheap Vodka out there. Also, look if they sell German Sweets and always check out thier theme weeks, they often have GOAT stuff then.

Walmarts was really dirty and in very old 60s buldings. Absolute bnot attractive i doubt it was even near to us walmarts

We didn't ran them outta town, we kicked them outta country. They couldn't keep up with superior German Supermarkets.

MCENNEDY

one day i went to lidl

ahh ok

i was really really hungry

now if only you kucks would kick out all the shit skins

trash product for trash people
boycott anything g*rman

Doit. Most germans do it so too. Only sunhuman shitskins go there. And poorfags.

Lidi IS Aldi... it's the same shit, so we already have it...

Aldi has two different branches under the same name, South and North. Aparte from that, they are Also a bit different depending on country due to culture. Here in Denmark they are Really shitty even though they have some gold deals on non-food at times.

guess ill stick to publix unless there's something they do rlly rlly well

>Most germans do it so too
thats confusing
Most germans do it too
simple and better .
please learn more better english , thank yous.

There's a growing trend of Americans wanting to do more of their shopping at smaller stores, but major players like Walmart and Kroger have been unable or unwilling to offer such an experience to customers. Look at how many stores Lidl intends to open in just a few short years. They know they're on the offensive and aren't taking any chances with their soon-to-be competitors.

they also keep costs down by not wasting space with 50 different versions of the same product (maybe 3 at most) and instead focus on getting really good deals from a handful of suppliers and shifting their stuff quickly

its basically the same as aldi, dont overthink it op

They have good cheap white chocolate and everything else is MEH.

i went to shoplift in lidl

it's like ikea for groceries?

Aldi is trashier but they sell stuff cheap provided you buy in bulk.

Lidl has excellent quality (their shit frequently wins blind taste contests over here) no-name brand knockoffs of recognizable products.

>Texas
>HEB
Lidl gonna get BTFO

lidl is superior to aldi imo.

HEB price fixes with walmart on groceries here. So Aldi or her cousin coming into town can only be a net positive. Where ever I have lived with an Aldi suddenly all the other stories "adjust" their prices once they realize they no longer corner the market.

Everything is a cheap knock off.
Expect seing things like pic related.