/DIN/ - Dinner General Thread

Went to the farmer's market.
Came home with scallions, thai basil, lemongrass, whole allspice, and habaneros.

Took my first stab at homemade Jamaican Jerk sauce. It came out slightly sweeter than I would prefer, but still pretty good. Definitely reducing the brown sugar dramatically and substituting pineapple next time. And oh yes, there will be a next time. Super easy, super tasty.

I like to use black caviar lentils instead of most other legumes. They are just kind've awesome.

Go home habib

You first.

Hmm, jerk isn't sweet. Primary flavors are allspice, cumin, coriander, garlic and habanero. You done fucked up and got a mom blog recipe, idiot.

Nah.
Brown sugar is a common ingredient.
One of the best Jamaican places in my city does, in fact, offer dishes made with a sweet, smoky sauce and pineapple is a common sweetener in Jamaican cuisine.

Like I said, not satisfied with my first attempt but that's how you git gud.

Starting keto week 7
I have a New York strip sitting out with some salt and pepper on it for a couple hours. I'll probably just have spinach with it. Should be pretty kino.

I tried making General Tso's Chicken for the first time with a 3 bean avocado salad. Both turned out really well! Now I've got like 2.25 quart containers of each leftover for a week of dinners.

Dessert was some peppermint patties I made last night. Turned out just like York patties, so that's nice I guess.

Definitely something that's going to be given out at work to get rid of most of them. I could sit down and eat a whole tower of cookies but one or two of these and I'm good for awhile.

Havent cooked a proper meal in ages and wanted to make something comfy. Acorn squash, baked potato, and swedish meatloaf (with chili sauce and grape jelly glaze)

>Havent cooked a proper meal in ages and wanted to make something comfy. Acorn squash, baked potato, and swedish meatloaf (with chili sauce and grape jelly glaze)
Very nice. I love a baked squash.

Impressed/10 would eat, user
How did you make 'em?

Did you put that squash under the broiler or just bake it?

Just baked it with oil and a bit of brown sugar. 375 for almost an hour with the loaf and the potato. Probably a little too long

2 packages of these and cheap shitty beer.

You and OP spent about the same on your dinners. Just sayin'

For me, it's the Big Plate Chicken with hand-pulled noodles. I think I put too much Sichuan pepper in it, because I can't feel my tongue

Made a orange cranberry with blueberries and cinnamon baked dish. It looks like crap but it tastes a lot like fruity pebbles.

How can I make my chicken toghts that crispy?
Whenever I make them they just lose a lot of liquid so they come out looking plain
I tried using high heat and I tried coating them in flour but it doesn't work

Thanks!

3/4c sweetened condensed milk
4c confectioners sugar
1/4+1/8tsp peppermint oil (or do like 1.5tsp peppermint extract if you don't have the oil)

Mix in stand mixer to make powdery dough. Kind of "kneaded" small 1” balls in my hands and flattened with my fingers into patties on a parchment lined baking tray. Froze this for an hour. It'll seem too dry but it's really not, you want it this way for the end result to be right.

3c semisweet chocolate chips
2tsp shortening

Melt together in double boiler. Use pastry brush to put a layer onto the hardened patties. Freeze five min to set up chocolate a little. Rebrush. Refreeze, flip over, brush, refreeze, and rebrush and done with that shitty part. Let them set in the fridge for an hour then out at room temp and they're fully set and done!

Before you ask, YES, I tried just dipping one into the melted chocolate to hasten this whole thing but even frozen you could see the patty start to come apart on the fork in the warm chocolate. Figured brushing would be easier if not more time consuming.

Op sounds like a genuinely good person who just enjoys cooking, and I hope he keeps trying to make jerk chicken till he's satisfied.
Don't let fuck nuggets ruin it cuz they wanna be elitist about an attempt that didn't go perfectly.

Recipe?

I made some mushroom and walnut bolognese with spaghetti, grilled chicken and sauteed zucchini

Tonight i felt like drinking, alone in my dark cabin, deep in the swedish woods.
Naturally I needed a plate of fat and sugar.

A mountain of fried chicken, rice and sweet and sour sauce.

Forgot the fucking image.

The walnut and mushroom bolognese sounds interesting. Is it vegetarian? If so, would you mind posting the recipe?

It's vegan. The walnuts actually give it a really similar texture to ground beef, plus the crunch is really nice.

I don't know about the cumin, paprika and cider vinegar, but otherwise this looks great. Thanks for the recipe, kind user.

Yeah I wasn't sure either but the cumin is pretty important, and the vinegar doesn't make it sour or anything.

I'm fucked.

What is "swedish meatloaf"? As a swede this is interesting.

Saved. Thanks for taking the time to write that out, user. Threads like this bring out the best OC