I wonder what extinct animals tasted like

I wonder what extinct animals tasted like.

Pic related, for example:
>Filter-feeder that was two meters (a bit over six and a half feet) long
>Maybe tasted like shrimp

How the fuck would you prepare it?
What extinct animals would you like to eat?

I bet dinosaurs tasted like dinosaurs.

Or extinct plants, too, I guess.

I bet a pterodactyl could produce some hearty tendies

First time i heard about an extinct species, i was first of all sad I'd never get to taste it.

like chicken

now this is a thread i can get behind

Oh man, think about all the extinct fruits that there must have been over all those millions of years that no man will ever taste.

oh man i never thought of the the plants

I wonder if the woolly mammoth would taste like elephant

only tangentially related, but i think a lot about all the humans that had to figure out the hard way which plants were poisonous or edible. pretty hardcore shit

>tfw poison oak

Dinosaurs taste like chicken

no doubt

Will never take a bite out of roasted parasaur. Why live?

>Boiled trilobites
>Dimetrodon brains
>Leedsichthys steaks
>Paranthropus cracklin
>Pulled Lystrosaurus meat
>Jugged velociraptor

Apparently fruits as we know them only appeared after the dinosaurs went extinct, during the jurassic and cretaceous periods the only things that grew were gingko berries and conifer berries

yeah ive read this, apparently grass is pretty new too

That's still 65 MILLION years of fruits we're missing out on user.

one of my dream professions is to work as a genetic engineer for gourmet chefs to make new ingredients

until the invention of the flower there wasnt exactly a whole lot of veriety. firs and ferns.

probably like horseshoe crab. in other words, awful.

>tfw you will never eat prehistoric plants and animals

I didn't expect to feel this feel today

assuming it has the taste and texture of shrimp i would carve that bad boy in to huge steaks, like 3/4 inch thick and grill over charcoal, would be pretty dank

>you will never impress hot nasty cavebitches with your modern cooking skills

I recognize that left kanji

What does elephant taste like? Maybe mammoth would be fattier, from all it's extra insulation.

good thing user, most of the fruits we enjoy today have been bred to produce the largest best quality fruit so anything that hasn't survived was probably shit.

there's probably so much damn marble on that thing Mammoth Ribeyes m8

well one part of my country unknowingly ate rare pre historic fish for 50 years. they usually cook it for soup or "pepes". i never get the chance to taste it though.

probably close to crocs
anyone ever ate one?
would like a stego steak or a triceratops tartare

so you could say this uncommon fish was used in the preparation of

rare pepes

noice

there are still something like 9 million extant species, so it's not as if there isn't plenty of meat that you - or any human - has ever tried.

Stellar Sea Cow
> The meat was plentiful, and could be kept out for a long time, possibly due to its low-sulfur diet of seagrass that was high in salt. This prevented large quantities of sulfur from escaping, which would cause a strong odor and decay the meat, with the high salt content effectively curing it. The meat was described as having a similar taste to corned beef, although it was tougher, redder, and had to cook for longer. The fat could be used for cooking, as an odorless lamp oil, and apparently as a laxative.[12] The thick, sweet milk from females could be drunk or made into butter.

they were literally so delicious that cavemen ate them all. I hope they clone them.

cheeky Carlos m8

The Dodo was hunted to extinction. I wonder what those tasted like

There are records that suggest they tasted unremarkable at best, generally unpleasant.

Not very good, according to written accounts.

>But initial investigation indicates that dodos were eaten mainly because of their ease in capture and availability, not for taste; indeed, their alternate Dutch name was "walghvogel", used in the journal of Vice Admiral Wybrand van Warwijck, who visited Mauritius during the Second Dutch Expedition to Indonesia in 1598.
>He explained the meaning of the name as follows: "... finding in this place great quantity of foules twice as bigge as swans, which they call Walghstocks or Wallowbirdes being very good meat. But finding an abundance of pigeons & popinnayes [parrots], they disdained any more to eat those great foules calling them Wallowbirds, that is to say lothsome or fulsome birdes."

I bet moa would taste like a stronger ostrich or emu, and Haast's eagle would be kind of crow-ish

This. On one hand I'd love to taste a Megatherium, but on the other hand I haven't had actual sloth yet. Or almost anything unusual aside from odd tropical fruit.

Raptors would probably taste gross.

I really want to know what Moa, or Elephant birds taste like. Since apparently both them and their eggs were so delicious that island peoples ate them to extinction within a few centuries. Stronger tasting emu/ostrich would probably be accurate.

no worries, the stuff we have now is going to be extinct soon as well.

Eat living fossiles?
Like Crocodiles.

Survival of the fitness

>Milk
Did they milk them? I can't imagine getting much milk out of one by cutting it open but they were huge.

>most of the fruits we enjoy today have been bred to produce the largest best quality fruit

Well, largest and best yield, anyway.

That and shipping durability.

Flavor isn't a concern for mass market produce, and that's fucking sad.

Man even in recorded history there are fruits and edible plants that have gone extinct yet we are still aware of

>fitness

Russian peasants used to and still do eat the frozen carcasses of mammoths because there were so many

Tried bbqing, smoking and frying one of these sons of bitches. It was way too tough to enjoy. It was edible though

Fuck off, no eating my bro.

>Filter-feeder that was two meters (a bit over six and a half feet) long
That's a lot of shrimp

Moa bird. I bet it was delicious

They never skipped leg day apparently

Sturgeon can be fantastic if you prepare it right. Easy to catch, shitload of meat and it doesn't get that fishy taste.

Gib fruitz now.

ayy

This. In the 19th century according to Russian literature (see Gogol), whole sturgeon, oftentimes smoked, was always served at banquets as one of the stars of the show.

Imagine trying to farm Aegirocassis.

Holy shit the logistics.

I'll try anything that won't poison me.

That picture
>maori
>bows
Pick one

>creation and evolution are mutually exclusive
>laughing_deists.jpg
giant herbivorous dinos
I imagine very red meat, lots of it pretty tough with too much sinew, maybe greasy, but maybe some was great.

>prehistoric plants
considering how recent are flower plants on the whole history scale you'd mostly have to taste horsetail, pine or fern

Nigga see , there's fucking 65 MILLION years of fruits. Also who know how many tubers and root vegetables there were that could have knocked the ones we know about out of the water.

Moss, too.

what is this? a belt? a helmet (google)?

the belt of the oni skin of genji from overwatch