Wasabi

Wasabi

Horseradish*

why is that chicken nugget green?

Spaghetti

this, 90% of you have never had real wasabi, just horseradish (which is similar)

Wasabi and soy are the stupidest condiments ever. Why would I wreck my sushi?

No.
At least, not THAT wasabi. Freshly prepped wasabi or pickled wasabi, sure. But not the unnaturally green powdered junk.

Always wanted to try real wasabi, some ""wasabi"" at a restaurant looked much more real today and I excitedly took a bite, however I was disappointed again.

Unless you're in NYC or Cali, and at a nice high end sushi place ($20+ for single pieces) you'll likely never find real wasabi in the US.

I, too, have eaten the Lump Of Glorious Nippon whole.

It's worth doing once, I suppose, to make a pretty girl laugh.

Yay. I'm in the 10%!

The real stuff is rare-ish even in Japan. I had it first at a tiny sushi joint in Tsukiji. Milder, slightly sweet, very different texture (more like raw horseradish at a steakhouse than the normal paste). They still use the powdered stuff for most dishes, and only a few specialties got the real stuff.

True that. I never had real wasabi till i moved to NorCal. EVERY reputable sushi place here uses real wasabi. I especially enjoy the flavor of the pickled wasabi, because it has more depth.

Years ago, when my wife and I were first married, we had gone out bar hopping and picked up sushi on the way home. She dared me to snort some (a la Jackass), and since I was shitfaced, I obliged. So fucking painful. I didn't throw up or anything, though. I did have complete sinus drainage for about 3 days after. At least I got a blow job out of it that night (and, sloppy drunk sex of course ).

Holy shit are you serious. I've been eating fake wasabi for this many years?

Can I cook anything interesting with raw wasabi? Came across some in my local market.

Wasabi in most japanese restaurants are just horseradish powder with green dye.

The real stuff is hard to grow and requires a lot of things to sustain it's freshness so only select places use it.

Wasabi.

more like weebsabi

lol

I don't think it's grown any significant quantity outside of Japan and England.

this got me curious. what are those industrial wasabi made of?

Horseradish.

99%, and they still brag about eating it.

It's so expensive that Japan actually imports horseradish for their meals.

I know that its horseradish, but I like horse radish.

You mean: why would you remove ingredients from the default way of making sushi.

Any sushi place worth a shit will have the wasabi inside the sushi and the best places will also apply the soy sauce.

Honestly I prefer the fake stuff, but that's because it helps clear my fucked up sinuses.

>will have the wasabi inside the sushi
That's traditionally done because when you're using real wasabi the kick wears off after about 15 minutes exposed to air. If you have it inside the suhshi roll however, it lasts longer.

YOURE NOT SUPPOSED TO MIX IT IN THE SOY SAUCE YOU UNCULTURED SWINE

Sushi very rarely contains soy sauce.
Some sushi might contain wasabi, but it's certainly not every type. And if it needs wasabi it will already have been added by the chef.

Sushi is, traditionally, rice on the bottom and fish on the top with a swipe of soy sauce and a dab of wasabi in between. Are you confusing normal sushi with maki sushi?

What you describe is a generalization. Some fish, like tuna, have the swipe of soy on top. Most fish don't have this at all.

Same thing is true for the wasabi. For many fish the wasabi is indeed put between the rice and the topping, but it's far from a universal thing.

Haven't you watched people make sushi on cooking programs, Anthony Bourdain's various visits to sushi chefs, Jiro dreams of sushi, etc? Pay attention and you'll see that the soy and the wasabi are far from universal.

Yea I live in Japan. If its a sushi with fish there is always a soy sauce and wasabi component unless some kind of special sauce has been prepared, in that case even in low end places that is pre-applied. Sushi with wasabi already in it is definitely better but the weak tongues in Kantou have become spice-averse so it harder to find in Tokyo unless you're going to a really nice place.

>there is always a soy sauce and wasabi component
uhhh???
No.

I don't live in japan, but I spent 3 weeks there and I had sushi at least 7 or 8 times from all different places each time. And guess what? You're fucking wrong. There was wasabi available and already on a few, and soy available, and pre-applied on a few, but it wasn't on EVERY single piece.

You're actually retarded if you think i believe you have ever even been to japan, let alone living there.

You can go into any grocery store and buy a package that says "real" wasabi. Is it not?

It's horseradish.

This is real wasabi, and the spicy punch only lasts for 15-20 minutes after preparing it.

>I was there for three weeks and definitely don't speak the language and can't read a menu with out English and pictures

Yea I've lived in Koto-Ku for the past three years and get sushi atleast once a week, although I admit its usually Chiyoda-sushi tier

If there is a fish component and it doesn't have its own sauce, its always served with wasabi and soy sauce, with the good places putting the wasabi inside.

I was basing my statement off what I remember from my month in Numazu/Mishima in addition to anything I've watched. There were some odd ones out, but a majority of everything had wasabi and soy sauce. In comparison to the rice and fish it's a minuscule amount, but it's there.

It's much less common to see stateside, but what do you expect from a place where peoples idea of sushi is reverse maki.

Now that I really think about it one of the few edibles I have absolutely zero experience with is real wasabi. When I was on holiday in Japan, I mostly ate noodles, cutlets and curry. I think real wasabi would be a waste on me since I probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Also Japanese pork is criminally underrated.

>>I was there for three weeks and definitely don't speak the language and can't read a menu with out English and pictures

yeah, too bad it was with my fiance visiting her family.

Fucking moron.

I unironically put the ginger on the sushi as well

Then you should know how sushi is served
But I think you're lying. Where in the country did you go?

Greater Tokyo area for like 90% of it I admit, then like 4 days with her grandmother somewhere in the Ishikawa region, I honestly can't remember the town though. Not that I could spell it even if I did.

Sorry, but soy sauce and wasabi simply wasn't on EVERY single piece, and I had some decent $75+ per person sushi in tokyo at one point.

This board is 18+

I think most people just don't realize there's actually soy sauce or wasabi on their sushi because it doesn't overwhelm them.

What the fuck even is ''real'' wasabi?
I've tried wasabi and it just tasted like horseradish, and horseradish is fucking amazing so I can't complain.

soy and wasabi isn't on every single piece, but I've never seen a plain piece of sushi with absolutely zero sauce. Things like unagi come with their own sauce. Ask your wife because you're probably mistaken like
Says

see

>What the fuck even is ''real'' wasabi?
It's a plant.

>I've tried wasabi and it just tasted like horseradish
The majority of "wasabi", even in Japan, is artificial. It's made from horseradish and green dye to make it resemble the real thing. Of course it tasted like horseradish because that's what it was.

Real wasabi is terribly expensive so you'd only get that if you went to a high end sushi place.

>but I've never seen a plain piece of sushi with absolutely zero sauce
I haven't seen that either, and never said I had. I'm simply saying Soy sauce + Wasabi wasn't on EVERY piece of sushi with fish. There were several with different types of other sauces, mainly fish based from what I could taste.

But certainly NOT wasabi and soy sauce.

Wasabi is mainly in the sushi for it's anti-microbial properties. Any high end place worth their shit is going to have it on virtually every piece of nigirizushi that has fish.

Then what the fuck are you arguing. Read
If its a sushi with fish there is always a soy sauce and wasabi component unless some kind of special sauce has been prepared
>unless some kind of special sauce has been prepared

I read this as

ALL sushi has Wasibi + soy sauce

Besides all the sushi that doesnt.

wew fucking lad

I love mixing it in with the soy sauce.

Nobody's perfect, user.

Why?

Did you not follow the chain? Nobody claimed all sushi has both. The closest I can see is someone selectively quoting part of a statement to remove the conditional clauses.

What if we banned artificial colourings from foodstuffs? Less jewish exploitation of the consumer then.

>claimed all sushi has both
and yet here we are
>sushi with fish there is always a soy sauce AND wasabi

>selectively quoting part of a statement to remove the conditional clauses.
It's almost like you want to demonstrate that you can't comprehend what you read.

nigga, i'm JUST talking about the Wasabi AND soy sauce part.

And besides, what about the next bit?

You're still fucking saying NOTHING

ALL sushi has soy sauce and wasabi

OR
It has some other sauce

So what you're fucking saying is nothing because ALL sushi falls into those 2 catagories, but the 2nd fucking catagory is HUGE there are dozens of OTHER sauces out there, MOST sushi you run into will have one of those OTHER sauces

So what you end up boiling it do to is.

Either it HAS wasabi and soy sauce

Or it has something else

Wew lad, it's fucking nothing.

I'm not even the original dude btw, just calling you out for what im reading here.

I did not use any conditional clauses.

I'm not him, and you shouldn't give a shit about it and keep doing it like you like, but the traditional Japanese way to put some directly on the sushi piece. on each one as you eat them.

But outside of Japan most people mix it in soy sauce. it's good.

>ALL sushi has soy sauce and wasabi
>OR
>It has some other sauce

But that's not true. There is plenty of sushi which has none of the above.

>>MOST sushi you run into will have one of those OTHER sauces
I'm guessing you're American, and know little outside of Americanized sushi rolls dripping with various sauces. Go to a proper sushi bar in Japan and you will be surprised to find that very few pieces of sushi have any sauce at all. No soy. No "other sauce". Just fish and rice and maybe Wasabi.

Go watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi and count how often you see any sort of sauce being used.

so what about this dude who claims to live in japan?

Like I said, and you affirmed, you haven't followed the chain. If you'd like to kindly redirect yourself to the OP and read the thread from there, perhaps you can save yourself from looking like a bumbling retard who can't into logic.

Oh my poor lad. Of course you're not the one using conditional clauses. You're the one ignoring them and creating a strawman statement to respond to.

I've seen plenty of Japanese mixing them.
It's not a taboo in reality, just a weeaboo infatuation.
Same goes for the whole chopsticks stood in rice, they honestly don't give a fuck.
You've got to realise most of the weebs here only experience Japanese life via anime cartoons specifically aimed at a western audience.

>specifically aimed at a western audience
lol?

Then why don't they translate it or sell it here without us jumping through import hoops?

Are you implying I'm as bad with logic as you are and couldn't tell I'm responding to two different people? Or did you think I separated the quote to your posts and his for absolutely no reason at all?

At this point i'm implying you'll get triggered by literally anything and you're just too autistic not to respond.

Go away weeb.
We have whole stores here dedicated to selling Japanese crap to gullible whites.

oh no, it's actually retarded.

If it were MADE for westerns, they'd market it HERE, IN THE WEST.

You traditionally are supposed to do exactly that in several parts of Japan.

>But that's not true.
Good thing nobody actually claimed as such, right?

>Go watch Jiro Dreams of Sushi and count how often you see any sort of sauce being used.
>Take a knife to the fish
>Cut to him placing the fully formed nigirizushi on the plate.
>Ignore the bowl of wasabi next to him.
>Ignore all the times he puts wasabi on the fish
>Ignore all the times he puts sauce on the fish
Take your own advice.

Shhhh, you're bursting weeaboo fantasies.

Aimed at the west.
Go back and read what he said you dumb fucking weeb.

Your wife is a sadist.
I hope you already knew that because if not, you are probably going to find out the hard way. Or her children will.

That's green horseradish but nice try.

全然違うやん

No it isn't.

>They still use the powdered stuff for most dishes, and only a few specialties got the real stuff.

thats cause the real shit is like, super rare and only grows on moist shady hills or some shit

Leave it to the japs