Bread

any tips on making bread?

Other urls found in this thread:

weekendbakery.com/posts/more-artisan-bread-baking-tips-poolish-biga/
youtube.com/watch?v=I0t8ZAhb8lQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4DQLB7_U1Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Use an oven.

Start with foccacias then slowly move toward more complex recipes. Even if your skills aren't all there yet the foccacia toppings will still make a tasty bread.

Plenty of good videos on youtube to get you started, good luck!

Come on dude let's not be dicks

This
Unless you know exactly what you're doing, making bread on the stovetop or in a sous-vide machine will produce less consistent results. I am partial to sous-vide myself, because the shape of the bag helps the loaves naturally form up as they bake at a constant 135 F, but that's a bit much for a bread journeyman like you to handle just yet.

I'm about to try a "no kneed" bread recipe. I'll post results if the thread is still alive.

Then again, it's an actual cooking thread, so it will die in short order.

>no kneed
don't you need that to make the gluten work

What's a good recipe for someone who has never attempted bread? I really want to try making one.

>any tips on making bread?
When you knead, knead the fuck out of it. Don't be gentle; beat that shit like your wife's son.

>any tips on making bread?

Sure. Get a decent digital kitchen scale, you want to weigh your flour carefully, makes a big difference. A stand mixer is pretty nice for handling kneading.

A biga or poolish pre-ferment is your friend. As is a slow rise. weekendbakery.com/posts/more-artisan-bread-baking-tips-poolish-biga/

"WHY USE IT?

The primary difference between making bread with a starter and making bread with the direct or straight yeast method is that starter breads require much more time to prepare, but the flavor and texture of the bread is almost impossible to achieve with other leavening methods. Bread made with starters like poolish and biga also tends to keep better, compared to bread made from straight doughs."

Not necessarily, but I definitely have never used a no knead method in a commercial setting
Way too inconsistent all things considered

Invest in a small enamel coated Dutch oven, if you don't already have one. The $40 Lodge one will do just fine.

I usually let my dough rise on my peel before transferring it to the baking stone I have in the oven, how do I prevent the dough from sticking to the peel while rising?
Is a layer of flour the easiest?

try proofing in a linen lined banneton or basket instead of on a wooden paddle where it will stick no matter what you do

Good idea, and then after rising I just flip it on to the slightly floured peel and straight into the oven?

Yes, make sure seam is up in the basket so when you flip it on the peel the seam is down
Also, make sure to flour the linen with some rice flour so the dough slips out silky smooth

OP and others asking for a simple bread recipe, try something like this if you have a Dutch oven:
youtube.com/watch?v=I0t8ZAhb8lQ

If you don't have a Dutch oven, you can start with something like this:
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4DQLB7_U1Q

Then you can work your way up to more complicated stuff like kneaded bread and sourdough.

Okay great I will try that, thanks!

THIS. No-knead dough in a dutch oven is basically cheating.

sour dough

Just make sure the handle on the lid of the Dutch oven is metal — some are plastic and only good to 425F. You can always switch those out with a steel/iron drawer handle from a hardware store, though.

Bake a lot. Even once you think you perfect something, keep improving things. Get a dutch oven, and some books. A good starter is Flour Water Salt Yeast, by Ken Forkish.