Knife thread

Whats a good starter chefs knife?

This Wustoff combo is on sale at my local kitchen store for $49. 2.5mm, forged, 8in chefs w/paring. Ye ne?

Also knife and kitchen gear in general.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e50gujs4l-I
youtu.be/abLB7aTmnE4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>good starter chefs knife

literally anything that isn't chink shit.

Wusthof is a good quality knife that will last you years with proper care.

I wouldn't recommend anything more expensive unless you know exactly what you want already.

It's a good starter.
German steel is high quality, arguably the best cutlery steel in the world.

snag that shit up.

I bought a Wusthof set with white handles for about $100 ten+ years ago. LOVE THEM. Excellent balance, takes a good edge. Best knives I've ever used. The 8" might be overkill, 6" is ample.

Definitely start with german steel as your first set. Germans tend to use softer steel that's easier to sharpen & maintain.

>best cutlery steel
If you're a bumbling retard who likes to bang your knife around
Put up that wusthof against any Japanese aogami blade and you'll change your mind real quick

Wondered when the weeb would show up.

Not even a weeb, just a knife otaku :p

i bought a good cook 8 inch chef knife for 5 dollars. Had for year, works great. you guys are idiots for spending so much money on a piece of metal.

I don't know what that means :(

Spotted the guy who isn't very good at cooking

No shit, your post was obvious bait, not to mention just factually incorrect.

German steel is great for what it's used for, but it's not going to give you anywhere near the cutting ability a good nip steel would.

Different steels for different uses, no steel is BEST.

>what's a good starter chefs knife?
>recommends an aogami
Retard.

Didn't recommend it to OP just stating how that guy was wrong
German steel is great for beginners
Until you have good control of your knife and good knife skills and know how to sharpen a knife on a stone, you should use the softer and bulkier western blades
Japanese steel is too hard and thin and will chip when a beginner starts bangin around like a tard

If I was interested in buying Japanese knives, without breaking the bank, what would Veeky Forums recommend?
I'd hardly call myself a "starter" but I'm by no means a professional. I'd like to get a chef's knife and good paring knife like OP's pic but would prefer Japanese blades out of elitism.

It's a great price, go for it. Those are indestructible and a great start. What I don't know is if Wustof has lower quality quick sale kind of versions of their usual solidly built classic knives. If you don't own any other knives and building a "starter" set, you'll probably want a bread knife with a serration blade for breads, tough skinned stuff, as well.

If you're selecting any knife handle type for yourself, you should probably pick it up and hold it in your hand. Feel if a 8in feels more balanced in your hand over a 10in. Those are classic handles, which are absolutely fine, but there are some grippier more ergonomic styles available too, fuller to fill up your palm, and you might want to go handle some different brands and hold like you would on a cutting board. The Chef's knife is meant to rock with your wrist, a little bit, hence the curved edge.

Mac pro gyuto is real nice
I personally use a masamoto high carbon every day, but have used the vg as well and think both are incredible for beginners
Shun if you don't mind Damascus
Tojiro If you're on a tight tight budget

Not a fan of the ricasso on those.
I like Victorinox knives personally.

You mean the bolster?
I agree I hate full bolsters

>ricasso
There is no ricasso on these blades, there is a finger guard and bolster, but no ricasso.

Yeah, bolster is the better English word.

Ricasso is a proper blade term in english, just not what you're describing.

>literally anything that isn't chink shit.

Are you kidding? Those $10 cai daos are fantastic value.

ONE KNIFE TO RULE THEM ALL

6" is ample? What are you cutting?
myself I do everything with a 10".
any smaller and I feel crippled.

those are ok if you like the big bolster but for sure try them in your hand and see how it feels. If it is not comfortable or doesn't feel like an extension of your hand/arm font get them.
knives that don't fit your style won't get used and you would be wasting your money

Yeah, 8'' is minimum for an actual chef's knife. Wüsthof also offers 9'' and 10'' versions, I have several of both. The 9'' version is ideal IMHO, 10'' only if you like rather flat profiles.

This
I can manage with a 240mm, but prefer 255mm and up
300mm is about as far as you'll find any gyuto/chef's knife and is about as big as you'll ever need one to be.
I have a sub 200mm santoku for home use and it's a nice little knife, but only if you have manlytears' hands. Mainly just let whichever bitch is over at the time use it

The wusthof gourmet set is their range of stamped steel knives for consumer knives, the rest of their lines are forged steel. They'll last as long as you take care of them.

Buy a £10 Mora (excellent carbon steel) bushcraft knife and learn to sharpen it.
Then move on to more specialized chefs knives.
You'll learn more doing this than all the questions you could ask here.

>The 8" might be overkill, 6" is ample.
Huh? Even tiny woman Sara Moulton recommends comfort in the 10" blade.

Different strokes for different folks.

I have a 10" classic wusthof and a 6.5" santoku, my go to is the santoku 9 times out of 10 unless it's a particularly large cut of beef or something.

My Wusthof edge folded over when I tried to open a coconut with it. Complete shit.

You're supposed to open coconuts with the spine, not the edge.

Trips confirm you're a retard.

This is a good set and I think America's Test Kitchen or Cooks Country recommended that everyone buy and keep 2 wusthof paring knives on hand.

I have the 8 inch chefs and 4 paring knives of different sizes. I love them all. They stay sharp for a very long time and are bullet proof in terms of chipping and what not. I hand wash mine. Somehow the handle on my 10 year old 8 inch chefs has started to crack a little bit, but its a hair line fracture that is barely noticeable.

The stickers wore off about 4 years ago.

I also have a couple santokus and bread knives, i would not recommend those as much - though they have come in handy when the other knives are in use or dirty and i just need a quick slice. the santoku is razor sharp and makes quick work of vegetables...

>I have a 10" classic wusthof and a 6.5" santoku, my go to is the santoku 9 times out of 10 unless it's a particularly large cut of beef or something.
Now you're comparing two completely different kinds of blades though, not just length. You were originally eschewing him to get a smaller chef's knife length. Err. You might as well be comparing a cleaver to a chef's knife now.

That said, OP, a lot of versatility can be had in a medium sized santoku, but you might prefer the speed of a blade you can rock. You'll pick up some technique too.

GLORIOUS NIPPON STEEL FOLDED 1000 TIMES

>chinese vegetable knife
>nippon steel

user are you OK

No send help please

My Tojiro was cheaper than my mom's Wusthof and is objectively a much better knife

Anyone still buying German crap in this day and age is a fool

ATK are the idiots who couldn't even remember which knives they were reviewing

Do not listen to anything they have to say about knives

This
I watched a high carbon knife comparison on their channel and they really only reviewed 1 premium western HC knife against the victorinox, which they are shills for. Then at the end, they showed a shot of a masamoto HC and called it a completely different knife.
Apparently they knew they made a mistake but didn't edit the video
Real good work on their part

youtube.com/watch?v=e50gujs4l-I
Video in question

>Do not listen to anything they have to say about knives

But they suggested the victorinox that every one around here can't stop masterbating over in every single "What knife should i buy as my first cheap chefs knife" thread...

That proves that they know exactly what they are talking about.

>they only reviewed one knife that i happen to like

go away

no, you dumb fuck. they said they recommend a certain knife that they said cost like $100, and said it way outperformed any other knife at that price. they then showed a picture of a $200 knife and said it was the $100 knife.

lol

Just because they shill for a legitimately decent chef's knife that makes a good first knife doesn't mean they know what they are talking about
I don't even like either the henkels or the victorinox. Henkels is way too expensive and the FnF is not my favorite though it is pleasantly aesthetic, and the victorinox does not perform or hold an edge for the sort of prep and volume I have to do.
I think you missed the whole point of my post

*henkels is way too expensive for the quality

No. They recommended everyone not waste their money and suggested the victorinox and called it the work horse of every professional kitchen, which it is.

They said that if you want to get super faggy, you can go have some fun with other super expensive knives that perform roughly .05% better for thousands of mergatroids more.

Pay attention, lad. If you're not careful, you'll get my whew.

>I didn't watch the video being discussed
>I confused it for a totally different video
Oh, you work for ATK? You made the mistake again.

That's it. We're officially upgrading you.

You admit that you are picking and choosing videos that make them look bad. In the full canon that is ATK, they are fans of the Victorinox and openly think people with expensive knife sets are "wasting their money in a fagolicious way." I'm quoting Christopher Kimball directly from season 3. And yes, Adam was not happy about how that was phrased.

Whew, lad.

Kyocera 7"
$60 for a knife which offers a substantially sharper edge and finer cuts than steel, holds an edge for years at a time, non-porous so it rinses clean effortlessly.

All you have to do to maintain it is not be retarded.

>Buying knives from phone companies.

Not even once.

>canon
>ATK
Jesus fucking christ it's a kitchen product shill company, and we're talking about "canon" now?

What's next, the ATK wiki? ATK fan fic?

>ATK fan fic?

The sexual tension between Chris and Bridget Lancaster is so insane, it's really allowed my fan fic to write itself. It gets REALLY HOT. REALLY FAST.

You couldn't handle it.

You're doing yourself a serious disservice if you don't at least use their peeler

Recently I've been posting some of my latest Cooks Country material over in some homo IRC chans... It's getting pretty positive reviews so far.

What are some good ceramic knives?

I've used the Yoshi blade for years and I loved it.

I lost it moving though and I can't find another yoshi blade.

>good ceramic knives?

That yoshi blade was sharp as fuck and never dulled in the 2 years I had it.

It only cost me 20 bucks, fuck you

There's a reason why you can't find another yoshi blade you stupid piece of shit
Don't bother with ceramics, especially ones you see on TV

I have an F. Dick Chef knife, only one I have but shopping around for a filet knife in a couple of weeks.

>mention I had a yoshi blade
>mention it lasted 2 years still in perfect condition
>only reason it's gone is because it was lost in a move

>user just spouts memes other people have spouted without any knowledge of ceramic knives because he's retarded

I don't know why i expected any different

>blade in perfect condition after two years
>especially a ceramic
Did you literally never cut anything?
I don't believe you. Like I said, there is a reason nobody uses ceramic blades anymore. They are not as good as steel. Just get a wusthof or something and a king kds 1k/6k and you'll be set for the rest of your life and actually be able to hold a perfect edge as long as you're willing to sharpen/strop as needed.

Maybe if you actually used a ceramic knife before you would have a more positive opinion of them.

For the price Victorinox Forchner is a great buy. I can't remember if they make a chef's knife with the granton edge but if they do you should get it opposed to the standard edge. Helps the blade slide through certain foods easier by putting air pockets in it. They last for fucking ever because they hold their edge very well. You should spend some good money on a honing steel though. I've used the same set of Victorinox knives for the past 6 years for work as a meat cutter and they're terrific

If they were good, they'd be sold. The only ones you'll really find are shitty trash, or expensive as fuck meme ceramics ($200+ for a ceramic chef knife)

Just try to form your own opinion based off your own experiences instead of just repeating others next time, user.

I'm not that user, and i've used ceramic knives, and you can go look up dozens of reviews of ceramics, and pretty much everyone who isn't a fucking normie moron agrees they're garbage.

>wrecks whetstones
>chips easier than the harder steel blades
>doesn't retain an edge as easy as a high carbon, blue, or white steel japanese blade
>Too expensive to even consider for the quality of the blade
Some fucking schmuck I worked with a few years ago had a ceramic that he donated to our kitchen.
What do you know, after about 6 days it was riddled with chips and the health department made us get rid of it due to the hazard it might pose to people consuming food. Not to mention it wouldn't cut anything after a few days of heavy prep work

&4 comments and exactly two mention the most important aspect of owning a kitchen blade: maintenance. If you don't know how to hone and sharpen your daily blade, you're just throwing your money away be it $40 or $400.

Buy a stone and a steel, and take the time to learn how to use them both. It's the only way that you're going to get twenty or thirty years out of a blade.

Pic is on OXO I bought at Target in the late 90's. Bottom is a Wüsthof I bought on Amazon a decade ago. Both are used daily.

Wrong pic. Bottom is a J.A. Henckels I bought when working in Thailand.

kyocera advanced ceramics santoku is the best knife i've ever bought and the one i use most commonly

3 years of hardcore use and it has some chips now but they offer lifetime sharpening if you send it in

Line cooks are morons who can't handle or maintain a knife properly. What a shocker. Wonder how they ended up as line cooks...

Ceramic blades are objectively better for SOME uses. I do agree that they are not suited to restaurant use. They are really nice for home cooking.

have a friend who works in a high end restaurant in dubai, says some foods are only cut with ceramic knives, like strawberries, as it affects taste and how fresh they stay between kitchen and dining room

Makes sense.

Harder knife = sharper blade = cleaner cut = less surface area to oxidize.

steel can also discolor certain ingredients, especially high carbon steels, so ceramic blades are occasionally used for delicate sashimi or similar.

Its fucking ceramic. Are you actually retarded? You only going to use it to cut vegetables? That is a disgrace to chef's knives.

You only need three Knives!

One 6-inch Utility knife (High Quality)
One 12-inch "Carbon Steel" Chef knife. (dont use on fish)
One 4 inch Pairing knife (High Quality)

Thats the perfect cooks starter package

The Ginsu knife
youtu.be/abLB7aTmnE4

U dumb

Lololololol no. My first knife was a classic ikon. My second was a global

Go into any restaurant supply store and choose a basic knife your happy with. Should cost £15 max and with be good for years with proper care.

handle will be some kind of grippy plastic more than likely, which in real life is better than smooth wood effect finishes 90% of the time

I use it to cut everything except bone-in meats, of which I simply do not prepare or eat very much.

Think about it. How many times in the last couple years have you cut meat with bones in it while cooking for yourself? Not many. And on the very few occasions you do, it probably would have been just as easy to have your butcher do the necessary bladework.

$10 is an exaggeration