/coffee/

Welcome to coffee general. Where the roasts are rich and paired perfectly with shitposts.
>Topics for the thread:
what's better, the grinder or the filter?

Do you make espresso? Manual or automatic? Preference?

I'm still waiting to be redpilled on moka pot. What makes it different from other immersion styles?

Other urls found in this thread:

scaa.org/?page=cert2
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Beans from Fresh Roasted Memes LLC on Amazon came today. If they're not lying about using the Julian calendar as their roast date, they were roasted the day they shipped out (June 2nd). Haven't tried them yet because I still have 150g of local beans to finish. Soon™

Fug that looks good user

I've been making my normal cup with just a spoon of sweetened condensed milk, so good

Chiapanecan coffee is the best coffee in the world.

Rest are bad memes

I figured I'd try something between the usually-stale grocery store brands for $6-8/bag and $17/lb local roasted stuff.

That's what I'm hoping as I've never had it. I love everything else from Central America, though. Haven't really seen this mentioned a whole lot, to be honest. Everyone currently loves to fucking jizz all over African stuff.

That's some bad luck. I can usually find locally roasted at $12-15 a pound.

So kind of a coffee newbie - how big a difference does the grinder make? I just run my beans in a spice grinder before I make it.

I'd like to buy a Hario v60 but I can't decide between the original style or decanter. Has anyone here used the latter?

>coffee
it's called survival juice

You know, I used to be one of those faggots that made fun of people that were super autistic about craft beer. Then I got into craft beer and understood what they were talking about.

Same with bourbon. Same with cigars.

But coffee....I am sorry...you're just a fucking loser if you pretend to actually nitpick the nuances of a burned jungle bean.

>how big a difference does the grinder make?
Huge. I started out with a Skerton and just got a LIDO 3. The difference, using my same brew methods/techniques, is fantastic. I couldn't imagine using a whirly blade.

If you're using an immersion method like french press, you're still probably getting decent coffee, but if you upgraded to a burr grinder, you would definitely have a marked improvement.

Listen to me and listen to me very well

African and Asian coffee is good, but there is no comparison.

The only thing that might pose a challenge to AUTHENTIC Chiapanecan coffee is kopi luwak and that's only if you can tolerate the fact that it is literally shit coffee

i'll never forget my first cup of coffee in Tuxtla Gutierrez, it was a little, hidden coffee joint

i wanna go back someday

You've never had good coffee, m8.

>how big a difference does the grinder make?
Get anything above $500. Otherwise you are poor pleb that should not even look at the coffee beans or use some cheap (under $500) coffee grinder.

i'm at a loss of words...

I went from a burr grinder to a blade grinder, and the blade isn't appreciably different if you just pause midgrind and shake up the beans a bit.
>inb4 you defend your excessively expensive grinder

Disagree, it's terrible saw dust, WALMART level.

>literally shit
your post is

Are you doing pourover

>tfw my mini mill broke
>tfw living with instant coffee for probably a couple of days

It's the first morning and I already want to die. I also just bought a nice Brazilian bean that I want to try.

>he doesn't think grind matters
o I am laffin

I've been drinking coffee for most of my life but I think it's causing problems with my blood pressure, I've been cutting back a bit and might consider cutting it out entirely.

No point drinking decaf, may as well drink hot chocolate.

I got a blade grinder by mistake and every time I use it half the grind is dust and the other half is huge chunks, even if you pause and shake

I regret getting a blade grinder over a burr grinder every day. No matter how much I try to pause and shake, there's always giant rocks in my grind

>I think

Don't go visit a doctor or anything.

This

I did go visit a doctor.
I was just after a certificate for work and when he did the blood pressure test it was pretty high reading, he did the test a few times to make sure and it kept coming up the same.
I had just had a couple of cups of coffee so I think it might have thrown the reading off a bit.

>he did the test a few times to make sure and it kept coming up the same.
It usually does especially if they don't switch arms or wait for you to recover from your anxiety of getting to the office, sitting down and then quickly walking in, getting questioned, getting weighed etc. Walk into CVS and get it done again, or buy a cheapie home monitor. It could have been a bag of pretzels the night before, etc.

They made me laugh down on a bed for a while and relax before trying the last time.
I had pretty bad back pain at the time so you're right it could be any number of things stressing me out while in the doctors office.

I should probably book in for a proper checkup, I only go to the doctor when I need certificates for work.

*Lay down on a bed

Fuck, I got some shitty beans from a colleague which bought to me because I like coffee.

What should I do with them? They are burnt as fuck. Will cold brew make them drinkable?

Cold brew is too strong you'll taste all the badly roasted parts of it. Just toss it i would say. If you really want to drink it because it was a gift, I would recommend making whatever you want with it but masking it with sugar and cream. Not really much you can do unfortunately

I don't give a single shit about it, I rather die than drink this shit again. I was just wondering if there was any alternative other than throwing it away.

I'll try to use it to make cappuccino and other stuff that I can mask it.

>I rather die than drink this shit again
Fuckin trash it

Someone recommend me a blueberry-y coffee. Brewing using an aeropress.

>tfw stopped drinking coffee because i'm too lazy to maintain an addiction

Same reason I stopped smoking. It's just another job at some point.

link to some cheap good bulk coffee on amazon or something?

Order some and tell us

I was reading through my old notebooks and found a conversation from my classmates I transcribed a few years ago and had a question:

>Classmate was at coffeeshop getting an iced coffee
>Barista asks if they want their ice on the top or the bottom
>What.
>Do you want your ice on the top or the bottom?
>Classmate says it doesn't matter since if you put the ice on the bottom, it'll just float up to the top.
>Receives iced coffee
>Goes back in a week later, talks to different barista about the previous barista
>Hahah, that's so dumb. If you put the ice on the bottom, it won't even cool the coffee.

Does this shit make any sense to coffeefags? The second one is obviously full retard, but I think I can understand why the first barista may have asked that—if they add ice first (at the bottom) they may bias the ice:coffee ratio in favour of the ice, meaning a more watery coffee; if they do it last (at the top) they may bias it in favour of coffee and you'll get more actual coffee. Is that an accurate assessment or am I missing something?

Ice on the top or bottom is just a buffer baristas use sometimes to make sure the drunk is made right. Like if you order a chocolate latte they ask if you want whip cream or not. It's just to make sure you are both on the same page about what you've ordered. It's a coffee shop thing. In a way it is either saying you want the ice or the coffee first. Why it matters is beyond me but some people are picky about it. It's the same with ice coffee again and cream. Some times people want the cream on bottom, some want it on top. It makes virtually no difference but it is what it is.

> I used to be one of those faggots that made fun of people that were super autistic about craft beer.

It sounds like you are actually the autistic one. The friends I have that talk like you don't have any other friends besides me(I have a high social retardation tolerance), because they are poorly socialized and immediately insult and simplify what they don't understand while thinking they're smarter than the other person that does understand.

it makes a difference in a homesetting
>pourover onto ice, comes out clean,crisp,and icecold
>ice into the pourover once it is brewed, more bitterness/stale taste

thats probably true for all coffeebrewing, not sure if it matters for shitty coffeeshop stuff though

Alright, I see where you're coming from. Enjoy good sips and smooth grinds.

>link to some cheap good bulk coffee on amazon or something?
>or something?
How about bag of dicks

Robusta is perfect to sip on while shitposting

Survival juice

>Meant to adjust grinder to finer
>Turned in wrong direction
>Espresso is watery and sour
>Wet grounded beans all over brewing head
I need a cup of good coffee now.

Is it worth moding my Mini Mill?

Are you talking about the tape or rubber band? It costs nothing, why wouldn't you just try it

why wouldn't you just fix the grinder and run the grounds through again, do you take pride in committing to your mistakes or something

He brewed the coffee before realizing his mistake, ya goober

No, I just only realized my error when the water ran through way too fast, so it was already too late.

fair play, my b

So I was at an Asian market getting some Indonesian sauces when I found some Mr. Brown coffee. I mean I mostly ever just drank shit from k-cups and switched to drinking black coffee concentrate because it was faster, so I don't know shit about coffee. But holy fuck this combination is the best thing I've ever tasted and it has inspired me to learn more about coffee. What's baby's first cappuccino? I mean if I liked this combo so much then it could be a nice investment to learn how to make cappuccinos and ice them myself.

>Sometimes I drink the Mr. Brown macadamia nut coffee, tastes pretty good if I'm in the mood for something sweet. Mr. Brown was part of the whole Chinese tainted milk shit though lol so enjoy ur melamine I guess.

10/10 can aesthetics too

I guess that gives me even more reason to learn how to make my own cappuccino.
Anyone know a good bean to use specifically, or does anything work?

Espresso is going to start at around $800. $400 for a gaggia machine and $400 for an espresso capable grinder

you won't get a proper cappuccino without an espresso machine

your best bet for a ghetto cappuccino is using an aeropress and steaming your own milk

yikes
This doesn't look too bad or hard from a video I saw and I'm sure my plebeian tongue won't tell a difference, so thank you.

the steamed milk is essential though, so make sure you've got the means for it

I haven't looked anything up yet, but wouldn't I just put a cup or so of whole fat milk into a frothing pitcher and boil?

that'd do the job, sure

You can make espresso drinks with instant coffee just by adding less water, it tastes practically the same as any sub $1000 home espresso machine anyway.

Jesus Christ

jesus... ok...

>grinder vs. filter
I don't know if I understand this question. Are you talking espresso/turkish vs. drip? Depends on what's going on. Paper filters -being absorbent- are detrimental to coffee, but copper, stainless, and even plastic mesh is perfectly fine for drip. I prefer to do my coffee as a shot or small drink, so I prefer espresso, but on days where I want a coffee to last me until noon, a moderately sized carafe is really the only way to do it.

>Espresso, manual/auto
I have a semi-auto espresso machine right now. It's kind of neat - the boiler pressure when built up will eventually drop the lever on its own, but it's a very strong brew at that point. A properly calibrated automatic is every bit as good as a well executed manual shot, just not as tactile. No real preference.

>Moka pot
Like a heat activated aeropress... water boils through the coffee. The end result is milder than espresso but stronger than auto drip. If you want to be able to do stovetop coffee to the nth degree of strength, I recommend a proper percolator - very similar idea to the moka pot, but it allows the water to cycle back and forth.

High concentration instant coffee is vile stuff that only a hardened late-stage caffeine addict can tolerate.

You're watering it down with milk anyway.
Don't tell me you're one of those fedoralords who actually drinks 3 shots of espresso by itself.

Have you ever even had plain espresso? It's pretty nice.

Just got my MoccaMaster, bretty good. Hopefully it does the pre-infusion thing as advertised.

$200 for the KBTS741

Any decent mass-market filter coffee i should go for? was just thinking Folgers will work.

This looks like an overengineered drip machine, which is itself a mechanical pourover.

What makes it worth $200?

What happens if you order whip cream I don't get it?

You go back and complain.

I don't know the better taste over other drip machines?

Batch brew if user has friends or wants to drink more than one cup of coffee at a time without varying the grind size too much. If user can afford good beans by the pot then more power to him

Supposedly it keeps boiler temperature better than other machines and is more precise in its pour pattern? I'm not sure because i've never used it.

What gives it a better taste?

>hay user do you have any cream and sugar?

SCAA certification

do you have a better drip machine?

>we gave some literal who $2000 so we could use their logo
ok

scaa.org/?page=cert2

Scroll down to minimum certification requirements

Why would you buy a moccamaster and then use folgers

Recommend me some coffee faggot this is why I asked

Do you have a grinder?

Go find a local roaster.

no

Get one

how can anyone have this opinion

>grinder
>$400
Are you actually retarded

If your grinder doesn't cost at least $500 you might as well just drink instant hot sludge like this poorfag

Ignore this retard, local roasters are actually surprisingly bad. Costco and Sam's Club brands are pretty good but whatever you buy you actually want it from a giant roaster

Ignoring everything else retarded about this post, at least $200 of that should have went into the machine instead
>I spend far too much money on things that make a negligible difference over things half its price so you're all poorfags

Adding to this, local roasters tend to have far inferior practices, techniques, control, equipment etc.

No. That is basically the minimum for espresso, unless you want to hand grind

Enjoy your stale beans, moron

Local roasters are far more likely to be leaving beans sitting out since quality is heavily scrutinized and regulated among larger ones

Christ, you're retarded.

Any tips for finding a good one?

Different user here, what's the minimum if I'm happy to hand grind? I enjoy manually grinding my beans, I find it therapeutic.

>triple espresso latte
>microwave milk + half & half
>throw milk in blender to froth it
>3 tbsp instant coffee and fill half the mug with boiling water
>pour frothy milk to fill the rest of the mug
>draw cute heart shape with the milk

I've come to the conclusion that "real" espresso is a scam.

$180 LIDO-E