Is Korean Food the Worst in East Asia

Tried pic related and some others.
I was repulsed at first because everything looked half-rotten, disgusted after a spoonful because there was this vile odor coming from the food, and pissed after knowing the fact that Koreans are actually trying to shill their unmodified shitfoods.
Dunno if all of their foods are like this, though. Care to redpill me on this?

you are right

not only that but everything taste the same

I like it. Go away Panda Express.

I'm Korean. We don't have many great dishes, bibimbap is okay sometimes.

Korean BBQ with soup and noodles at a legit place is a god-tier meal though.

My sister-in-law is 100% Korean and she makes gangster shit all the time. I don't even know what the shit is named, but it's delicious every time.

>i'm korean and our food sucks

You lie. No korean would ever say that. Hell, the only americans that don't like korean food that I know about are scared they're overspicing their food with black pepper.

Korean food as a whole is pretty boring. That's why whenever a Korean restaurant opens up it's usually some type of "fusion". Korean food really has not much to offer other than bbq and tofu soup.

Despite your trips, you and I both know that's hot bullshit.

It's good to eat every once in a while. I like some of their side dishes, basic simple straightforward food if you like spicy, garlicly stuff. Also sesame oil, sesame oil everywhere.

Only the Nips think your food is spicy, bro. Korean is fine, but it's honestly one of the less impressive in East Asia. I might throw Taiwan below it, but it would be close.

I spent a few days in Seoul for work. Delicious, but it gets kind of monotonous when every other dish is drowning in gochujang. And what's with the greasy rice balls and gimbap?

Filipino cuisine is, hands down, the bottom tier of Asian cuisine.

Korean cuisine is high art compared to it.

I'm korean and a korean guy mocked me for being chinese? i don't even know where to begin
fuck this world

See .

Please describe it to us.

>pic shows what used to historically be poverty-tier street stall food
>now it's a trendy ricebowl type entree around the world

Just curious, what was the exact dish that made you react the way you did? Granted, Korean cuisine is unforgiving for outside palates because we probably eat more fermented food than any other culture. However if you were to be given even a half-assed tour of Seoul or a major K-town like in Los Angeles, you'll find there's a huge variety of great meals.

Agreed. Filipino food does have its gems, for the most part it is a sea of mediocrity.

>That's why whenever a Korean restaurant opens up it's usually some type of "fusion"
It was never a true Korean restaurant to begin with, so destined for failure. Korean cuisine in particular fares poorly when you try to mix it carelessly.

Beyond just bbq and soon-tofu soup, you should give classics like gamja-tang (pork bone and potato spicy stew), or the closest thing to accepted Korean fusion, budae-jigae (literally boot camp stew).

Theres a korean bbq restaurant in my city ive been meaning to try. Should i or nah?

I only the like the most simple of Korean foods.

Tteokbokki (rice cakes), japchae, all the pancake jeon stuff and side dishes.

Korean food has two main characteristics.

1)It's lots of garlic
2)Cooked in a pot

It's delicious but it's clear there isn't much culinary advancements from the koreans compared to other asian countries and you're bound to get sick of it eventually.

Korean pickled banchan is godtier.

Korean food is one of the most "different" and "non-western" food out there so I'm not surprised that you don't like it.

t. guy that tried Korean food a few times

I don't get why foreigners think they have the authority to make conclusions about an entire country's food

I like Korean food you fuckface. I'll fuck your stupid fuckface you fucker. I'm going to fucking fuck that stupid fuckface right off your stupid fuckface, fuckface.

Sorry but I've eaten asian food from all over Asia and Korean food has the least depth.

Japan, China, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Phillipines, Indonesia, Vietnam

I rank Korean one of the lowest due to the lack of variety. It's good though but not very sophisticated.

There's an excellent Korean fusion place about a mile from where I live. But they've been doing this for like a decade and are good judges of what works and what doesn't.

>korean food not sophisticated

LMAO. Try to make just a few of the varied side dishes served at a typical meal. And no, they are not all "just" kimchi, not even close. Remember, there are usually 10 or more of them for a group meal. Westerners have the mistaken idea korean food is kimchi, soup and sometimes grilled meat, when in reality it's one of the most varied and healthy cuisines on earth. Broaden your mind, plebe.

The entirety of Mongolia is flyover. Korean food isn't bad, but don't let them jew you with their horribly overpriced non-meats.

>make a few of the varied side dishes
I'm not him but korean food is really easy to cook, especially common banchan.

yeah, but it's the same side dishes you get with every meal. The concept of serving a lot of small sides with a meal does not equal sophistication.

Au contraire. They have a huge variety which you would know if you ever visited a korean family with 2 generations cooking together in the kitchen for a large family gathering.

Most of these guys have only tried the local Korean BBQ sushi fusion and thai noodle place, so it's not wonder everyone thinks Korean banchan is simple and the same. It may be simple on a technical skill level perhaps for some, for most it isn't because of the massive amount of prepwork that goes into preparing enough side dishes for just one meal. Hence our cultural reverence for fermented food, and the disappointing yet standard trend of everyone now conveniently buying all their side dishes pre-made/store bought because of the effort.

Korean food is just as varied than native SEA food, and most of those countries (including Korea) derive flavors and style from China anyway. If flavors were that familiar and repetitive, next time you're in Korea or Los Angeles, try a Royal Court Korean dinner course. I dare anyone to say that is simple, easy, or unsophisticated.

Korean food like most Asian food is basically rice with vegetables and/or meat.

>Filipino food does have its gems
Wrong.

Not the guy you're replying to but I like Korean food because it is simple.

>food from every country is basically starch, vegetables and meat

Yep, what else is news to you, faggot?

as someone who visited korea yes it is and the best is japanese but only because they copied so many western dishes

>thread about the worst East Asian cuisine
>Shit I'd better compare it to Southeast Asian food

Dunno where you've had your korean mate. Off the shelf restaurants that only serve bibimbap and bulgogi tend to be pretty crap in the UK but I've tried a few very good ones in Germany and I can say that the stuff was totally on par with Chinese. I love the variety of fermented foods they have.

>copied so many western dishes
like fucking what

>this entire country really only eats rice, bbq, and pickled vegetables
when did Veeky Forums become so retarded?

Korean in Korea here. I would actually put us as tied for worst food in the world with the Philippines. There are some great dishes but as a whole pretty much any cuisine is better.

Pretty much, Korea does some things well but on the whole it's quite boring if you live there.

There's a reason why there's a huge growth in getting other cuisine into korea and the koreans loving them instead.

Yo, question. What do people there who hate spicy food eat everyday? I imagine that takes out like 50+% of the options.

That's a pretty small minority honestly because there is a weird national fetish with spicy food, but there is a lot of non spicy Korean food so it would be a pretty broad answer. There are even a lot of Kimchi types that have no pepper powder in them and as a result aren't spicy.

50% is a pretty high number but you may not be terribly far off now that I think about it.

>this entire country really only eats rice, bbq, and pickled vegetables
That would actually be great. I could eat rice, bbq meat, and pickled vegetables every day shit's good man.

Frying everything tastes better than fermenting everything.

>Korean in Korea disparaging their own food and culture
>Can't even get these faggots to condemn and hardline their asshole distant relatives north of the 38th
>A country of 1st world technophiles who voted in a communist sympathizing cupcake for a president

Boy am I glad my parents emigrated out 30 years ago.

Something tells me very strongly you're not from there at all, but seriously dude, comparing Filipino cuisine to Korean is like comparing hot pockets to beef wellington.

Korean meals are centered around a communal soup entree, most commonly probably being beanpaste stew(뒨장 찌개).

BBQ meat for Korean used to consist of only of the cheapest cuts, and even then is still almost exclusively also consumed with the intention of drinking heavily as well. Only in the last 15 years or so, due to the rising popularity of KBBQ spreading, has it been seen as a standalone meal experience. To most Koreans still, it is really an occasion to get drunk with friends or family.

There are clear soups (some taste remarkably similar to Japanese style hotpots, not surprisingly due to proximity of culture), fried items like egg-dipped meatballs or tempura like items, fried chicken (godly in Korea), naengmyun (literally cold noodles) in broth form can be enjoyed without spice, almost all Korean bbq items, plenty of grilled and raw seafood dishes, etc.

I took a Japanese friend to Korea 2 years ago and he has very little tolerance for spiciness, he had no trouble finding great food to eat at every meal. Only spicy meal he loved and endured through the pain repeatedly was budae jigae. Motherfucker loved it and it was the first time I've seen him eat anything spicy like that and enjoy it.

I agree. It's tasty but end of the day it's all the same cheap pork and bean sprouts smothered with garlic, spicy paste and kimchi.

>pinoys being good at anything except playing too much Ragnarok Online

that literally looks fucking amazing.

korea has some of the best drunk food, there are a few korean bars in chicago i like to go to whe i visit...allways a highlight of the trip getting drunk and eating korean food

>t. Chinaman

Not every korean dish has a glob of gochujang mixed in. Mulnaengmyeon was my go-to when I was living there, fucking AMAZING noodle dish.
Jjapchae is also a very neutral savory noodle dish.
I had about a dozen other non-spicy dishes while there but I don't know all the names.

Heavy drinking is encouraged with the consumption of nutritious food. Of course, defining nutritious even in Korea varies too so it could easily just mean food that absorbs alcohol well.

Lots of excellent Korean cuisine has yet to spread from Korea for reasons I can't seem to find or explain myself, for instance the practice of grilling or broiling eel with charcoal. Main difference in the Kyungsang region with the Japanese version of grilled eel, is that they eat it without the sweet sauce slathered on it first and prefer having a choice of dipping sauces like sesame oil with salt, along with the sweeter soy sauce variants. Then its commonly wrapped with lettuce and/or perilla leaves, to which you can add more shit if you want and enjoy it just like ssam wraps.

You can pound a shit ton of beer, rice wine, and soju without getting sick or waking up too sick if you have a steady intake of these types of traditional drinking foods.

>korean heavy drinking culture

That they do. They are a blast to party with, especially in pojangmachas (street tents). If you're at all open minded you can have a great time and even get invited to family dinners (depending on your status, I was an officer; enlisted, sorry, not so much. Nogs, completely forget about it - disease ridden whores are your selection.)

>Then its commonly wrapped with lettuce and/or perilla leaves
>perilla leaves
Thanks, man. I was trying to explain to someone about Korean food and couldn't remember the name of these.