Military Rations

Wasn't really sure which board this belonged to but /out/ seemed as good as any. Do any of you use and recommend military rations as low cost, long term storage poverty food? Perhaps not solely but serving as base and adding other stuff too? What sort of stuff would serve as a good supplement to them? Those who do have experience, what are the pros cons? I've heard constipation is an issue but that seems easily resolvable if you're prepared for it.

I had a mate in the TA(brit army thing) back at uni and she offloaded loads of her 24 hour ration packs to me at the time. I remember they actually tasted pretty awesome and were really quite substantial (hence why she never finished or even cracked them all open). But I wonder do other countries have better rations? And where is the best place to go about buying these sorts of things?

alright nice, let's get this acidic hiss out onto a tray.

You're better kff eatong raw fish you net off rhe coast of any placw

do americans really eat that

Are you ok bro? Looks like the raw fish aren't doing you any good.

Are you retarded? I said brit army, and anyway all countries soldiers eat military rations you spaz.

I swear the quality of replies on this thread is really something. About 10% of what you all are saying makes any sense.

I was TA and went into regs for 4 years.

Rat packs are class. Although I love cake + pudding - all the pudding type stuff is manky.

They also used to have the 'not for civvies' Yorkies until about 2011. I left 2012.

All the beans and sossies stuff was good but it probably had a stone of butter in them.

Overall I'm sure the full 24 hour ration was about 6000ish cal.

I used a few bits for walking in the lakes, it's quick and easy and just the same as the civvy pouch stuff but doesn't cost a bomb.

You stupid cunt. He's parodying Steve1989

Yeah i figure the high calorie count is gonna be a great way to keep food costs low. But the thing is I don't really know the best place to try and buy some. I've seen a bloke on ebay selling 10 boxes for 100 quid which is £10 for 6kcal (not being an active soldier myself I reckon I only need about 2kcal a day) and a good balance of vital nutrients. Seems alright, if not ideal price-wise. Does that sound right to you or can i get cheaper?

Uhh no i'm not. I have no idea who that is. I'm genuinely curious about rations. Is there some running joke here i'm unaware of? Veeky Forums isn't really my board so I'm not up to date with the local memes

I'd look at the fine print. A tenner seems cheap.

A lot of these resellers will just send you a few components (3 main meals and a bag of boilies or something)

I got a single rat pack for £15 6 months ago just for the lulz and it was a bit underwhelming. They've changed so many suppliers since I left in 2012.

Are you using it for camping/walking or just for meals?

I checked it out and it seemed legit. Postage was like a tenner on top of that. I figure I'll use it for camping/hiking around wales/scotland in future, but right now I'm just interested in seeing what they're like for regular meals. The addition of waterproof matches and water purifying tablets is a nice touch.

It's just some milleniel who's into YouTube 'celebrities'.
Best ignored.

"Steve1989 MREinfo" is a youtuber who does video reviews of rations of various age (some as far back as the 40s) from armies all over the world and actually eats all the food and drink from them that isn't compromised.
I'd check his videos out, gives you an idea of what other countries' MREs are like and also has links to where they can be purchased.

Just don't do what retard cadets do and take the box as a whole with you.

Divvy the contents up through your clothing and backpack.

£100 + £10 for 10 rat packs seems good. I'd say you're paying a premium for just eating at home so save as many as you can for the outdoors.
Purely because some menus are very hit and miss. Everyone seemed to love the curry but I thought it tastes shite for example.

I hope you meant the 1840s, because he tried a civil war hardtack

You have the reading comprehension of a fucking brick.

The newer multi climate packs are pretty good with less calories from sugar.
Still give you constipation though.

Hah, jesus, I weep for the security of our country if they really are thick enough to do that. Yeah I think i'll just crack one open to try and save the other nine for camping stuff.

Oh cheers, I mean I'm more interested in current rations, not mouldy old shite, but this should point me in the right direction.

I'll make sure to supplement it with fibre heavy foods then.

They're only cadets, if they aren't little cunts who take it seriously then it's a club for them.

Plenty on their phase 1 do it too though but they should be taught packing during exercise.
>be me
>phase 1 training at Pirbright
>2nd exercise, 1 week in the field
>this time it's serious edition
>group retard has packed EVERYTHING on top of his ration pack that he had handled to him just before packing
>Cpls can't NOT give him food
>decides as we're told to pack and get ready to move that he hasn't eaten
>Cpl loses his rag and we ALL have to pull the contents of our bergans out because of one mong
>we all form a huge circle around the mong and have to plank while he's forced to make his hexi stove up, heat his food and eat

It's funny to look back on but fuck me sometimes I'm happy I work in an office now. You don't get army bollocks, just petty office gossip.

He rates and eats current MREs as well. There's some variety.

>military rations as low cost, long term storage poverty food?

Military rations are surprisingly expensive unless you can get them heavily discounted or free from some military surplus supplier.

As always the cheapest, longest lasting food stuffs for poverty has always been the age old adage of 'rice and beans'. Stored properly they will last years. Supplement with some tinned foods that last decades and you can't beat it for price.

This is a good point. The only reason MRE's exist now is because of convenience. For an individual hiking in the wild for weeks on end, a supply of dried goods are light to carry, cheap and nutritious. Chili originally developed as dried meat pounded together with dried chilis and salt for an easily rehydrated trail food. This shit packaged in plastic is just garbage for children.

Yeah i know the basic staples/complete proteins like lentils/rice/beans/potatoes/etc but I was hoping for a little more variety. Sticking to plain old rice and beans + whatever is currently cheap is a last resort.

So much this.

>"Sometimes you have to take life by its botulism infested horns."

-SteveMRE

>Military rations are surprisingly expensive

This. MREs are far from cheap.

nigga what the fuck does manky mean

nice

Disgusting/rank, I don't know the equivalent Americanism

Probably skanky.
That's as close as I can think of.

MREs are fucking expensive. Lurk on /k/ to find out how to make your own. There are ways to package 1000+ calorie meals cheaply and for long storage

but how do i make my own first strike bars

Isn't that used for people more than objects though?

You sir, have impeccable taste. Mind if I as- wait..yeah no, it's rancid.

You've never heard of an off-tasting beer or or something as be called "skanky" or like "that swamp water is dark man, looks like skanky water to me"

it's like 90% dates

>low cost
I don't know how much rations cost in the UK, but MREs are expensive as hell here in the States

friend was in the army here in france and brought us one full packed ration once
impressed with the amount of stuff in a little box desu

Bad beer is "skunked".

One meal (approx 1300kcal) mre here (lithuania) costs 3 euros which isnt THAT expensive but for 3 euros you can buy a kilo of pork. I bought 30 of them for reasons ate one per day. They didnt taste bad but not good eitheir and the taste got tiresome fast. I have wanted to try some uk mres but theyre expensive as shit.

Tl;dr mres are expensive, dont taste too good and are absolutely retarded idea as poverty food.

Alright, lets get this out on a-nice!

>eating low budget crap

manky is like what the cheese on the top of the pizza gets like if you leave it out overnight

They're actually pretty expensive, ignoramus-user.