Why do hawaiians eat so much spam?

Why do hawaiians eat so much spam?

Other urls found in this thread:

thehill.com/homenews/news/310628-healthiest-least-healthy-states-in-america
eatthis.com/most-and-least-obese-states-in-america-ranked
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because World War 2

>Why do hawaiians eat so much spam?
Legacy that most island natives do and did from the hurricane pantry supply and other rations of imported foods. Recipes that utilize sweetened condensed milk and other nonperishable canned foods are popular too.

Jamaica has their carrot punch with canned milk, nutmeg and carrots. Tres leches, key lime pie, all that salt cod stuff. Some people find it nostalgic, sometimes they're just using up their hurricane supplies. That stuff you bought to stay alive through 3-4 weeks post storm without electricity.

This is also the same reason why it's a signature dish in Okinawa. It was one of the most widely-available foods on the island for a while, so it just stayed that way

Poor taste

As in fat is good
Salty is good
Just add sugar makes things perfect

Another decimated culture with lousy eating habits along with shit health what a coincidence, well not really

I assume importing fresh beef from the USA is too expensive.

Filipinos and other Pacific Islanders eat a lot of Spam as well.

You know there are cattle and dairy cows in Hawaii, right?

Never seen a filipino bust out the spam.

hawaii is one of the healthiest states, though

It stems from WW2 food rationing, and just became part of the culture. If you grew up in Hawaii it's almost impossible that you didn't eat Spam, which makes it a kind of comfort food.

I still make musubi or just eat spam and eggs from time to time. There's no substitute for that damn spam flavor.

I had a flip friend in highschool
his mom would make fried spam and rice aaalll the time. They were big on eating eggplant too for some reason

thehill.com/homenews/news/310628-healthiest-least-healthy-states-in-america

eatthis.com/most-and-least-obese-states-in-america-ranked

it's cause you gotta keep that fucking beach bod all year round. also helps that the majority of residents are asian

>those literal who sources

>I assume importing fresh beef from the USA is too expensive.
Canned food was en vogue and "special" in a lot of ways a treat when it was new and mass produced, but most of all it was shelf stable.

Yes, there was cattle and pig farming since the beginning of Hawaii. But it didn't mean people slaughtered them daily, shopped daily, or didn't live off the grid.

Although I really find it gross, in lieu of a thick ham steak in comparison, it's really not that different than a hot dog.

As a kid I used to enjoy a Cuban treat, bocadito sandwiches, which were made from canned deviled ham plus cream cheese and pimentos spread in soft hawaiian style bread rolls. I have no idea the origin of that dish. Bocaditos come in trays from bakeries along with your cuban cake, empanadas, croquettas, etc

then find some sources that say hawaii is in fact unhealthy you fucking haole

HI fag here, just something good to grab on the go from 7/11 while working or whatever

7/11 fried saimin is goat tho

That ONE can on the second row from the top that isn't double stacked is irritating the shit out of me

there's two more that aren't double stacked, one in the top row on the left, and another in the third row on the left

also in the fourth row on the left

Why is Taco rice also a signature dish of Okinawa.

They literally just take the insides of a taco and dump it on white rice

Its probably cause they have the most asians and least mexifats and blacks

A nigger nogged it

Loads of dust state soldiers stationed there longing for tex-mex, local vendors tried to cater to their taste, after hours they slopped the leftover meat on their own rice.

Eventually it became norm.

it's hawaii so it had to be a micronesian

I was at the Spam Jam in Honolulu a little more than a month ago. The lines were too long to get anything special, but we picked up a few musubi there.

TL;DR version, American soldiers traded their canned meat rations to the locals for fresh fish. The locals loved spam, and that's why it's so ingrained in their culture. Also lots of asians... especially Filipinos.

>the insides of a taco
boiiiiii