Does anyone else feel bad when they use lemons in a recipe. You have this huge fruit, sometimes the size of your hand...

Does anyone else feel bad when they use lemons in a recipe. You have this huge fruit, sometimes the size of your hand, but you squeeze it and barely end up with a tablespoon of juice if you're lucky, and you end up throwing the rest away. If it's an organic lemon you can maybe get some zest out of the rind, but it feels like such a waste.

Anyone else feel the same? How can we squeeze more usage out of this plucky lip-puckering plumage?

lol what kind of pansy wont zest if the lemon isn't organic. Fuck off mate.

>Does anyone else feel bad when they use lemons in a recipe.
Not at all. I grow my own lemons, and the waste/left-overs goes straight into a compost tumbler.

It's more so that I keep hearing people using pesticides and poisons on fruits to keep the pests out. I don't want to use zest if there's a risk of that getting in the food.

Oh yeah, I forgot how good rinds can be for compost. I still wish I could squeeze more life out of a lemon, but hey, small steps.

Yes I understand the reasoning behind it and this is why I insulted you.

Lemons are cheap I use half and throw the other half in the bin.

Sometimes they put a wedge or two of lemon in with my fish and chips.
I squeeze the lemon on the fish and then eat it, throwing only the peel away.

Eh I usually make honey lemons with any leftover lemons or hell just make tea with em.

use a press and store any unused juices in a small bottle I guess?

You can also put the rinds and left over bits in a bottle and fill it with virgin olive oil. Great for salads.

They're cheap in my area too. But I'm very frugal and I hate throwing out food. I'll often eat dinner that I cooked 5-6 days after making it, just so I don't have the ghost of starving afrikan childen constantly criticizing me.

>the ghost of starving afrikan childen
You're not the reason they're starving. Feeling guilty about you having food and they don't is like blaming yourself for there being no oxygen in space.

>not loving those sweet sweet lemons

never thought of this- great idea

I feel bad because my friends will make fun of me for using outdated lemons when I can instead use the opportunity to be seen using the fashionable new limes and signal my apologies for being white.
OMG THIS

Are you buying them in bags or something? If you're picking them from the stall and choosing properly ripe lemons and using a hand juicer or squeezer you should be getting way more out of them.

I eat them like oranges sometimes. Any time I go out I just eat the lemon wedges from tea/water.

Wash your lemons (get the wax off the peel) and freeze them whole. Then grate them whenever you need some lemon added to your dish.

i use all of it, but it takes some work
with the outer layer i do pic related, it basically turns it into a sugar lemon candy, it's a sicilian stuff
it's kinda complex to do but if interested i will give you the recipe
i then squeeze the inside part and freeze it in cubes so i have it ready whenever i need it and it doesnt go bad

>You have this huge fruit, sometimes the size of your hand, but you squeeze it and barely end up with a tablespoon of juice if you're lucky

Weak hands detected.

Recipe would be much appreciated.

bitch
not even biggest i have seen

ok lets say that this is usually done by professional with very specific equipment so it will probably be a little frustrating in the beginning to master this
there are 2 ways to go with this, one is simplier but flavour gets much weaker, anyway:
you have to boil them 2-3 times in salted water, not something strong, light boil, turn off and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, repeat and boil a last time with salt-less water to remove the salt
taste them everytime, you must get to a point where the bitter is gone and the texture is soft enough to be bitten but not too soft, otherwise it would become a pulp later
instead of this you can put them in salted water to rest for 2 weeks then just boil them once to remove salt and soften them, easier but worse results

then to turn them into candies, you start by preparing a syrup with water and sugar (lets say 500ml of water and 700g of sugar for 2 lemons, i like to add a spoon of honey to add a different flavour) then let them cook in it. it doesnt have to boil, just enough to evaporate water. if it boils lower the heat. takes usually 5-6h for that quantity, then let them rest in the restricted syrup for a day, water will get out and sugar will go in, keep doing it until the syrup gets dense enough to look like a very liquid honey, now you are almost done.
take them out and put in over at 50°C to make the last water evaporate. do it at 10-15 mins times and check how hard they get. do it until they can withstand their own weight, if they are floppy there's still too much water.
if done correctly they last for weeks-months
if i have been unclear tell me, sorry english not my language

>zest it before, keep zest for salads/baking
>dont zest it before, throw juiced lemon into a caraffe of water with cucumber/berries/herbs and drink
>dont zest it, throw juiced lemon in a bowl and toss with sugar, youll end up with syrup a couple hours later

That looks, and sounds, fucking amazing.

im often around here so if you try it and need more hints just post here or open a new thread, i will answer
the name is "scorze candite" if you wanna try and look at some tutorials around
most of them are way simplier than the recipe i just typed but the results pretty much suck