Japanese food

Is it overrated? Underrated? What are your favorite Japanese dishes and recipes?

I think some weebs enjoy japanese food for the sake of it being japanese, but as long as they're enjoying i dont see whats wrong

Overrated

Muh sushi
Muh ramen
Muh bento

im feeling a decent to light 7
if you've given japanese food a try, what did you think?
did you love it?
hate it?
why?

Shut up melon

I remember having a rice dish with pork once in an eatery in Sydney. I'm sure it wasn't anything like tonkatsu (or any -katsu for that matter), but it tasted pretty gud.

I really really wanna try natto and takoyaki. I imagine takoyaki being a bit similar to calamari.

they have some good seafood, and because the restaurants are a little more expensive around where I live generally the food is prepared better / higher quality base.

The sushi places funny enough have way better fried seafood than most American seafood restaurants nearby.

Definitely overrated. Even the Japanese admit that. Ask any Japanese person what they ate for lunch and 9 times out of 10 the answer is curry or a sandwich.

>muh I'm only familiar with the super mainstream weeb food

everythign except a few dishes are made of:
sake
mirin
dashi
soy sauce

That might be because those people are city-dwellers user. I can't imagine a Japanese worker in the city sitting at home relaxing and have a nice warm meal of rice, meat, vegetables and soup at the middle of the day.

Might be the case for countrysides and areas like Hokkaido, but idk. And even so, if you're really creative with the ingredients, you're unlikely to get bored of food where you are. So the Japs are either short of food variety or just lazy asses.

That's bullshit, every single Japanese person I have every asked has said they love Japanese food and prefer it to any other type of cooking.

-->

>Ask any Japanese person what they ate for lunch and 9 times out of 10 the answer is curry or a sandwich.
Reverse that. Most people have rice based dishes with vegetables, bean sprouts, and maybe a little bit of sauced meat. If they're in a rush they'll probably grab onigiri or a microwaved noodle cup from a 7/11.

The meme that japs eat nothing but curry and sushi is retarded and so are you.

That's bullshit though, they literally take lunchboxes with japanese foods like rice, sushi, pickled local vegetables and meats everywhere they go, be it school, university or work.

Except for soy sauce, I have trouble getting those things in my regular grocery store. Even then, I just get my soy sauce from Amazon, you know, the Kikkoman that's actually from Japan. The American stuff isn't bad either, but the Japanese stuff is my favorite for regular light soy sauce. I get Chinese stuff for the dark, thick kind.

For all that other shit you mentioned, I have to go downtown to an Asian market. None of that stuff like Sake,Mirin, Dashi (or kombu+katsuobushi for that matter) is here in Harlem, and forget ordering that shit online.

I'd figure that Japanese people would miss their soups/noodles/sauces the most when abroad, because they're hard to find outside of Japan, unlike sushi.

who the fuck asked about this?

No one. Just rambling about Japanese food a little frustrated about how hard the ingredients can be to track down in the States.

Oh, they generally do. At least that's what all the exchange students comlpained about when I was in college.
If they're japs not in japland then yeah they probably had a sandwich, but if you meant japs in japland then they almost invariably eat more traditional foods.

Most convenience sandwiches are fucking egg salad there anyways, I lived off them for weeks because I couldnt figure out how to order anything else.

where do you live?

Harlem, Manhattan.

I know that I can get anything I want downtown, but I have to take a subway ride and schlepp it home in an Ikea bag which takes ages for some basic grocery shit. There's no decent Asian markets Uptown.

have to stop being so shy

harlem is shit, mate. I live in new york as well

I like Harlem a lot, it's really convenient for me. It's just that the grocery scene isn't all there yet.

you a white boy?

Only so much communication you can do through pointing and grunts.
It was easier to just identify a sandwich in the 7/11 than try to figure out what anything on a menu was.
Not a great idea to wander around alone without speaking the language

Yeah. I live north of 125th though, so I'm pretty much the only white guy I know up here. Used to live in East Harlem on 116th and 3rd, and also near the park on Clayton Powell, but I like it up here right now. Got a good view over Lenox Ave. Why ask? You from BK or something?

Most restaurants have english menus for people like you.

You shouldn't really have a problem at all.

i disagree i travel all the time for work. to countires sometimes i don't speak language and i'm able to order food. amazing what a little bit of studying and such can do.

i live near flatiron building

That's a cool neighborhood, my wife worked on 21st St. a while ago. I can understand why you wouldn't be into Uptown though. It's got a different vibe fore sure, almost a different borough.

Ching chang chin chang chong

Nice and hot

Not when you're lost in the depths of a tokyo district you can't even remember the name of because you got off the train at the wrong place.

I speak 0 japanese, so

Wok, nice and hot

>What are your favorite Japanese dishes

White rice with soy sauce

>t. poorfag

Is "tempura sushi" also eaten in Japan, or is this just a westernised blasphemy of the original food?

Blasphemy.

Even the most cheapest and trashiest of Sushi places that serve burger sushi, fried chicken sushi, french fry sushi don't have anything like Tempura sushi on their menus.

It's certainly a westernized invention, but a lot of the western-style rolls are starting to show up in Japan as sort of a "reverse import". I'm sure you could get it somewhere in Japan but it would be an exotic oddity.

Superheroes eat nothing but curry rice. Source: Samurai Flamwenco

ALright fagmanias I need help with the soy
Im thinking melted brown sugar, chili seeds and then add that sauce but I feel like I should add one or two more things. Gib tips pls

why the fuck would you add chilli to a soy sauce

Gives it heat. This is not uncommon for dipping sauces.

Splash of vinegar and try chopped bird's eye chilies next time

sauce for what, what are you dipping into it?

Pretty easy to cook, can taste decent, relatively healthy. All in all not terrible, overrated by some and severely underrated by others (usually by people obsessed with making sure everyone around them knows that they're not a weeaboo). I like sukiyaki, inarizushi, donburi, katsudon, etc. Basically everything is decent, but there's nothing I would say that stands out as truly amazing.

Overrated by weebs, underrated by rednecks. Overall a very nice cuisine with a variety of dishes that range from kind of shitty to very good. Sushi is excellent, ramen is comfy as fuck, tempura is indulgent.

Overrated.
Sushi is ok, but everything is really meh.

Japanase curry, okonomiyaki, ramen and tayaki are pretty tasty, if you're not counting all the stuff made from fish.

Also, whale sashimi is godly delicious.

>mainstream isn't able to be representative of a cuisine
Except it is.

I just want some nice yakitori and a beer to drink.

Why the fuck isn't there a bar in America where I can just get some fried gizzards and chicken thighs?
Why is this shit only in Japan?

I mean fuck. I don't even give a shit about sushi, but I miss just grabbing a few sticks on the street in Tokyo.

Unagi, eel is godlike!

>speaks no japanese
>goes to japan
>bitches about the food bc can't fucking read

go home you illiterate fuck

That seafood pancake thing you can get over there (pic related) is too good for words at some places.

Just a little overrated. A lot of it is pretty good. Tempura is amazing, but it's kind of hard to mess up fried stuff. Takoyaki is also great.

Okonomiyaki?

Part of what's so retarded about this thread generally is that the regional variety when it comes to food is so wide, and none of these people really have enough experience to comment on anything other than the shit that's designed for western export. Some regional okonomiyaki get really weird and interesting. My favorites are just the Osaka style and the one with takuan in it.

Zaru soba is probably my favorite though. I eat a ton of that during the summer.

Drastically overrated.

Even award winning ramen in Japan can't compete with a bowl of westernised Pho from a corner shop in Australia.

Vietnamese is the best Asian food.

Maybe it's just me, but I always found pho bland compared to ramen even after I add all their condiments. Also I like the texture of the true ramen noodle infinitely better than the pho rice noodle.

This.
Pho is the real meme food.
>wow i sure do love rubbery, gross noodles with fucking raw ingredients in it
>clearly this recipe has a complex history beyond "illiterate peasants making cheap food"

any food that doesn't use lots of garlic is dumpster tier

I guess America can only be judged on burgers and Italy on pizzas then, you fuck

Neither of those are american. America can only be judged as lacking any culinary culture and stealing from everyone else.

Tell me your favorite cuisine and I will personally shit on it for you so you can shut up.

I lived with a host family for a year. Literally best food in my life. I gained like 20 lbs during my stay

I really like it, but if I were living in Japan I'd probably get sick of it pretty quickly.

Takoyaki is just a ball of batter with a little chunk of octopus in it, and the whole thing is probably slathered in sauces (tasty sauces, but still). You really don't get much octopus in any one takoyaki, if that's what you're hoping for.

As for natto, I don't mind it, but I wouldn't say the flavor is all that great. The texture is that of beans covered in phlegm, and I find that the flavor tastes kind of bitter, a bit like a weak cup of coffee. If it comes with dashi, hot mustard, or green onion, mixing those in can bump the taste from "eh" to "alright."

It depends where you are and what you get. In the South, "Japanese" almost ALWAYS meant a Benihana type of establishment (steak, chicken, or shrimp served off a teppanyaki grill with rice and vegetables and "white sauce" for dipping - started by a cup of clear soup and a small salad with ginger dressing). Sushi was pretty much ALWAYS rolls of some sort - a novelty meme food. Rare to see nigiri or sashimi.

Japanese to me is ramen, udon, miso soup, tempura (even though it is originally Portuguese), sukiyaki, sashimi, nigiri, yakisoba... Sukiyaki is absolutely one of my favorites.

I love what I have tried. I can't bring myself to try takoyaki though.

Tempura is great. Also grilled mackerel. I've been doing a lot of sashimi lately because keto. Pretty much all of their stuff is good.

It's just a bit of octopus covered in batter, a lot of savory sauce, maybe mayo, and a shit ton of bonito flakes with some seaweed. If you don't like octopus it's not like you're really even going to taste it.

You are mocking Chinese - different part of Asia

Oh yeah, put me down for yakitori too. Yet to try okonomiyaki.

Same here on all points.

I was in a ramen shop once and sat next to someone eating takoyaki. The smell was overwhelming of fishiness.

The Japanese trump the French in elegant simplicity and technique involved. The cultural differences alone put higher esteem to Japanese cuisine than French.

For some reason jp food is just so comfy to me. Nothing beats my favorite sushi restaurant with a hot bowl of udon bringing me sake. Or just enjoying a shit ton of takoyaki and fried foods before my sushi comes out, laughing it up with friends.

I will say that Jp food is also just convenient to make. Jp curry, tempura udon and anything where I just throw food on top of rice has saved my wallet significantly

I do think it's overrated in that 90% of restaurants charge extra for sushi because they just can. But you can find great places that don't over charge and are authentic as fuck.

Ramen, personally, I don't think is overrated at all.

Okonomiyaki is some good shit.

Not that user, but as a Vietnamese I'll tell you a bit about it.

Yes, Pho is bland, with and without all the condiments that we have added. I don't deny that because it's fact. And the dish itself is not that old either. In fact, you could say Pho owes its origin to Pot-au-feu, an original French dish that was brought over to Vietnam during the colonial period. Maybe if Pho is bland, then Pot-au-feu might also be bland.

But what I do know is that both of the dishes are well-known in their respective countries and are eaten by everyone, from the rich to the poor. Pho is literally just a new incarnation of the dish they gave us.

However, I personally like Pho very much because of its bland taste. It's all preferences. As for the "illiterate peasants making cheap food" notion, its true. Aside from somewhat raw ingredients (but safe to eat), Pho makes uses of cuts of meats that are normally not used in the West. Hell, there's even a hotpot dish that is not that different compared to Pho, and uses everything from tails to feets!

So really, you can all the dish a meme. If a foreigner ever says the best Vietnamese dish or all the Vietnamese have got to offer is Pho, or if they say Pho/Viet cuisine sucks, I'll say they have not explored enough to be sure. And while Pho doesn't have its own history, it certainly carries on the legacy of "making use of what you have".

Plus I kinda like the so called rubbery, gross noodle texture of the noodles, as you put it.

I used to think this too, now chicken katsu is my favorite food.

Those slant eyed fucks really know what they're doing when they're willing to actually cook their food and not slap it raw over rice and call it food.

why do they steal foreign food so often then? tempura is portuguese tonkatsu is schnitzel and german and curry they got from the english

what even is "japanese food"?

oh a westernized version of a food that originally came from europe mhh tempura is portuguese you retarded weeb bitch

italians "stole" pasta from the chinks
jews "stole" bagels from the uighurs
curry is not english, what the fuck

stop trying so hard to prove you're not a weeb, weeb. you're like a republican senator who wants to make sure everyone knows he doesn't find little boys sexually attractive.

>stealing from everyone else
japan is up there too bro dont worry weebs dont like to hear it tho

>curry is not english
i never said that retarded weeb bitch i said they got it from the english

shows that you know nothing and italians atleast changed their fucking noodles the japanese just straight up copied tempura and tonkatsu

No one said curry was English, retard.
Work on your reading comprehension

Pls don't put the west with america, From Icelanders, Spaniards to Germans we use animals heads, brains, stomachs, livers,blood... Specially regional cuisines. And Peasant food is the best food, I dunno why anyone would be ashamed to eat it.

>i never said that retarded weeb bitch i said they got it from the english
you should try getting language from the English; whatever you're trying to speak isn't

he understood it quite well
take his advice you weeb motherfucker

>he
samefagging will not make your point any more valid, Senator Hastert

I think Japanese food is a pretty top tier cuisine. They've got hypersimplified recipes where they make the ingredients shine and also westernized stuff that's really savory.
I think the overrating might come from the perfection reputation Japanese have, but I can't say I don't enjoy properly arranged food even from cheap restaurants.

Japanese have an excellent sense of aesthetics and decorum. However, I don't like much else about their culture, including their food.

>overrated becausw of perfection stereotype
or maybe its because of disgusting weebs making threads on "japanese cuisine" everyday

Aussie here as well. There's a Vietnamese neighbourhood near me and I've eaten enough pho to be sick of it, pretty good though.

Chinese>Viet=Japanese>>>>>Korean

ramen noodles are also from china. I think "real" Japanese food tends to be the fresh seafood dishes.

I personally love Japanese food. Some of my favorite dishes are Okonomiyaki, Katsudon, Miso Ramen, and udon with a dash of shichimi togarashi

Theres a noodle dish in China where Ramen may have come from, but any of the modern ramens (Tonkotsu, Shoyu, Miso, Shio) have no counterpart in China.

get a grip, self-hating weeb. everyone likes japanese food, it was popular before anime

Wow a real person posting

Tempura>everything else
Might be because I'm from the American south though

Yeah this, I was guilty of this in high school. Used to get up at like 5 AM to watch the anime movies on SciFi channel like Iria and Venus Wars. There was a Chinese/Japanese place down the street that sold suishi and tempuras. I'd get that a lot. It was a new experience so it was pretty cool. I don't eat that food anymore and quit watching anime 15 years ago almost now but it was fun while it lasted.

ok

I'm convinced only weebs like it.

Americanized Chinese food is literally the only palatable Asian food on the planet.