So I've been using shitty wal Mart knives my whole life. I recently got gifted a zwilling j.a...

So I've been using shitty wal Mart knives my whole life. I recently got gifted a zwilling j.a. hergels knife and I just found out I'm missing out big time.

Let's have a knife thread abs recommend me some good knives that won't break the bank.

And fillet knives too please.

a chefs knife and a wet stone is all you ever need.
wüshof is solid for a beginner.
sharpening>knife
if you ever feel the need to get knifes in different shapens n forms, there will still be plenty time for that, get the basics first.

All you'll ever need. Really good steel and easy to maintain an edge.
American made too.

In summation of everything to follow:

>Stainless steel will stay clean, but lose the edge sooner
>Carbon steel will hold the edge longer, but stain easier
>German Knives are the best, Japanese are mass produced garbage
>Japanese Knives are the best, Germans are mass produced garbage

Just go to a store that sells a wide variety of knives. Buy one that feels good in your grip and doesn't break the bank. Learn to sharpen it and keep it honed. Even the most expensive knife will dull into a letter opener given time. Put those Walmart knives on sharpening stones and they'd cut just as well as your Zwillings (for a few days)

>not forging your own knives

I fucking love bluegill. Just fry em whole why bother filleting?

Those knives are piss easy to sharpen and also lose their edge when you look at them funny

Remember kids, "easy to sharpen" is an almost perfect guarantee that the edge holding is shit

No such thing as a free lunch, you want good edge holding have fun grinding for hours with advanced nanotechnology weeb stones and elaborate diamond-doped strops made from siberian tiger kitten hides

You want screaming sharp edges after 3 strokes on a coffee mug, enjoy your knife that needs re-sharpening after every meal

Sounds ideal to me.

disgusting

Bones man. First time I've ever caught my fish and ate fish too (life long vegetarian breaking the streak a week ago)

Filleting them was a bitch and I did it at my buddies who had a shitty dull chef knife. I've been thinking about getting a morakniv fillet knife.

As far as filet knives are concerned, just get a $15 Finnish-made Rapala from Walmart. They're highly regarded by both knife enthusiasts and generations of anglers.

Got that popular Victorinox a few years ago and it's getting a little dull. Have honing rod I use, but what stones are worthwhile? 400/1000? Or should I also have 6000 and something inbetween? I'm not looking to make a boring wanker hobby out of this.

Get a Worksharp mate.

6000 is ridiculous for any knife let alone a fucking victorinox

I'm pretty weeb and I don't even bother to go past 4k on my japanese knives, 1k would be perfectly adequate for that thing. I only go to 4k on shirogami, I go to 1k on vg10 and softer generic carbon

autismo retard hobbyists always overplay the importance of ultra-ultra fine stones and will usually tell you some misleading horse shit about how coarse stones will ruin your knives

never listen to these people, 400/1k would be good. a 250 would even be nice to repair damage, depending on what you do with that thing. but you could get by with the 400/1k

How about a morakniv? I'm from /out/ and moras are some of the best knives around. And they're based out of Sweden so they just know their fish right?

I just wouldn't trust rappala because they're known for their lures while morakniv is known for their perfect knives

What do these numbers even mean

probably JIS abrasive grit scale

in modern times weeb terminology has taken over knife discussions so you generally assume JIS unless otherwise stated

every now and then some fucktard starts talking ANSI without explicitly saying so and then autistic people rage at each other for about 50 posts until someone points out that it's just a misunderstanding but by then it's too late

Can confirm.
Mora make excellent knives.

I work at a department store that sells Zwilling/Henckel and about a half decade ago it all went from "made in Germany" to "made in China". Where can you still buy German-made German cutlery anymore?

>Stainless steel will stay clean, but lose the edge sooner
>Carbon steel will hold the edge longer, but stain easier

but that's wrong, stainless holds an edge longer, but it's harder to put an edge on

also Japanese knives are objectively better because they source their metal from the best Japanese and Swedish steel makers and they temper their steel to optimize it for cutting food, whereas German knife makers use the same steel factory built in 1936 pushing out the same primitive first-generation stainless steel optimized for prying open crates of war matériel

objectively speaking, you should buy German if you live in a crowded household full of people who can't take care of stuff and like to ruin tools. German knives are made to not change their performance after being abused, never mind the fact that the performance was never that good, it's more important to avoid breaking when you use it as a crowbar

buy Japanese if you live alone, or share your home only with responsible adults. it will definitely not make a good screwdriver or crowbar, but it will make a better cooking tool

but using knives as screw drivers and prying tools makes them much more versatile and useful